PDA

View Full Version : NFA Trusts? Anyone have one?

Gaspipeshooter
19 July 2014, 07:08
Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but with SBRs and suppressors occupying a large part of my conscious thought lately, I've started looking into it. I was visiting the local Class 3 outfit yesterday talking with them about purchasing a suppressor. They have an attorney lined up that they refer you to who will execute the trust paperwork for $350.00 and I am wondering how essential it is to have a "pro" do it. Anyone else have an NFA trust set up that all their goodies are registered to?

Ride4frnt
19 July 2014, 07:58
Here's some light reading

http://www.guntrustlawyer.net/nfa_trust

A quick google search will turn up some sites where you can pay for this "professional service." Can be done online for $150 or less, but you'll probably want more personal interaction with a lawyer.

tact
19 July 2014, 08:55
I used the gun trust lawyer David Goldman from Apple Law Firm myself. Quick, fast, and super helpful. In a matter of 5 minutes I had medium level or second tier trust at a fairly inexpensive price. He had a special going on at the time for Texas residents.

UWone77
19 July 2014, 08:57
Get a trust drawn up by an attorney. You'll have thousands invested in NFA items, not the time to cheapen out when it comes to legal paperwork. It blows my mind when guys use copy and paste trusts from the same dealer they are buying the suppressor from, or Quicken Willmaker.

Ride4frnt
19 July 2014, 09:25
Get a trust drawn up by an attorney. You'll have thousands invested in NFA items, not the time to cheapen out when it comes to legal paperwork. It blows my mind when guys use copy and paste trusts from the same dealer they are buying the suppressor from, or Quicken Willmaker.

Pretty much what I was thinking, but there are people out there who will do anything to save a buck. When it comes to important paperwork like this, I'm of the belief that you get what you pay for. Actually saw an ad the other day for a $50 trust...can only imagine that.

Gaspipeshooter
19 July 2014, 10:15
Here's some light reading

http://www.guntrustlawyer.net/nfa_trust

A quick google search will turn up some sites where you can pay for this "professional service." Can be done online for $150 or less, but you'll probably want more personal interaction with a lawyer.

Thanks for the link. It's rainy and dark here today so my yardwork isn't going to get done. This will give me something gun-related to do.

All excellent points. The dealer I visited essentially refers you to the attorney they use; he has done the trusts for all of the employees of the store. I'm sure they are getting a referral fee from the attorney, but if a class 3 weapons dealer uses him for all of their personal trusts, I would figure he should know what he's doing. The difference between $150 and $350 in the big picture is nothing compared to the thousands in NFA items as you said. Hell, I spent $200.00 on Bourbon and Rye whiskeys for my collection someone brought me back from Kentucky last week.

gatordev
19 July 2014, 13:21
The unspoken elephant in the room is ATF's 41P. My personal opinion is that it will dissolve into something fairly benign, but just in case it doesn't, I'd highly suggest you get moving on the trust and submit a Form 1 or 4 for whatever it is you want "soon." The next update for 41P is supposed to be in Jan 15, and the general thought is that if your paperwork is in before that and 41P gets enacted as written, you'll be grandfathered. No one has any proof of that, just the general thought.

ETA: I used Goldman's firm for my trust and it was a very painless evolution.

tappedandtagged
19 July 2014, 19:53
I found a local attorney that drew mine up for $50! Can't beat that. Its well worth it. Shop around though. $350 sounds pretty high to me. But, its all relative. I got mine for $50 (from a very Pro 2A guy) and was told it included and later additions etc to the trust at a later time (like adding kids, changing the benefactors etc).

UWone77
19 July 2014, 20:29
The unspoken elephant in the room is ATF's 41P. My personal opinion is that it will dissolve into something fairly benign, but just in case it doesn't, I'd highly suggest you get moving on the trust and submit a Form 1 or 4 for whatever it is you want "soon." The next update for 41P is supposed to be in Jan 15, and the general thought is that if your paperwork is in before that and 41P gets enacted as written, you'll be grandfathered. No one has any proof of that, just the general thought.

ETA: I used Goldman's firm for my trust and it was a very painless evolution.

I know it's a very real possibility, but I don't really want to see what happens if Trusts are eliminated and CLEO signoffs are the only option.

Can you imagine the run on NFA items if that were to happen before they come up with a hard dead line? What prices would be like? Yikes.

gatordev
20 July 2014, 12:55
I know it's a very real possibility, but I don't really want to see what happens if Trusts are eliminated and CLEO signoffs are the only option.

Can you imagine the run on NFA items if that were to happen before they come up with a hard dead line? What prices would be like? Yikes.

I agree. And while I say I think it will dissolve, I also hedged my bets and grabbed two cans instead of one from Silencer Shop a few weeks ago. Just waiting on the Form 3s to clear so I can get my Form 4 in. Maybe I can pay off one of those cans with a Saiga I just nabbed off of GB. I'm thinking in a few months, it should be a decent investment. If not, I'll just have to shoot it.

KevinBLC
20 July 2014, 19:18
I need to get a trust and some suppressors. I couldn't imagine what I would do if I had to get a CLEO signoff. What do you guys think? Any can is better than no can? I can't afford a top end suppressor. Is a YHM or Huntertown one going to be decent enough?

Jerry R
21 July 2014, 10:30
I can't afford a top end suppressor.

You might take a look at Thompson Machine http://www.thompsonmachine.net/ They make good products at very reasonable prices.

gatordev
21 July 2014, 14:14
I need to get a trust and some suppressors. I couldn't imagine what I would do if I had to get a CLEO signoff. What do you guys think? Any can is better than no can? I can't afford a top end suppressor. Is a YHM or Huntertown one going to be decent enough?

I've heard good things about YHM and their Ti version is insanely light, but at the end of the day, you need to ask yourself what it is you want from the suppressor. Weight? Sound suppression? Cost? Mounting? Durability (and what kind of barrel you want to run it on)? POI shift?

Once you figure out your personal priorities, then you can start shopping. That said, the $799 Surefire -212 that's out there right now is an amazing steal.