PDA

View Full Version : FBI Going Back to the 9mm?

browcs
27 July 2014, 14:52
It looks like the Federal Bureau of Investigation has had enough of the .40 S&W and will be going back to the 9mm Luger:

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=bba2ac0f178480b6ce1c3922566274ea&tab=core&_cview=0

Per the "pre-solicitation"...

Class One Pistol: barrel length between 3.75" and 4.25"; with a minimum magazine capacity of 13 rounds.

Class Two Pistol: barrel length between 4.5" and 5.5"; with a minimum magazine capacity of 15 rounds.

Class One Training Pistol (Red Handle): deactivated with full articulation, red receiver and slide, night sights.

Class One "Man Marking" (a.k.a., "Simunitions") pistol: blue slide or slide with blue inserts.

Any bets on what they will get? Since they forced agents (some kicking and screaming at my old task force) to give up their SIG P226s and have been issuing Glocks for several years, I'd say they will stay with Glock. Incidentally, my first two issued Glocks were FBI hand-me-down G23 and G22, respectively.

I wonder if, once the "deal is done" whether the rest of Fed LEO-dom will follow suit as many of us (quizzically) do.

UWone77
27 July 2014, 14:58
I think a lot of agencies have had enough of .40

Our agency went back to offering 9mm a few years ago.

browcs
27 July 2014, 15:03
I think a lot of agencies have had enough of .40

Our agency went back to offering 9mm a few years ago.

We went to the .40 years ago; but this year the entire agency went entirely to the Glock 23. I heard tons of (rightful) moaning from my colleagues as I transitioned agents with 10+ years experience with SIG 9mm's and .40's to the Glock platform.

GOST
27 July 2014, 15:44
Last year here in Knoxville, TN law enforcement switched from Glock 22 to Sig P220.