PDA

View Full Version : AAR EAG Tactical Basic Carbine Class 02-03Aug2014 Echo Valley Training Center, WV

Calengor
4 August 2014, 12:44
As promised in another thread:

AAR EAG Tactical Basic Carbine Class 02-03Aug2014 Echo Valley Training Center, WV

Even though I don't have a lot of classes under my belt, this was the best class I have taken to date. I had written a bunch of notes when I got back to the hotel after T1, but they're on my macbook and I still haven't unpacked them. I meant to write more notes down when I got home last night, but between unpacking, showering, and getting grub I didn't find the time before I sacked out. I will try to do the class justice below and if I miss anything I will come back to fill in later:

My previous training experience with carbines consisted of a 1 day carbine inception class with Northern Red and a basic carbine class offered by a local shop. As such, I think I was the person with the least training experience (and probably overall carbine experience) in the class.

My biggest fear going into the class was being "that guy," fucking up, and getting myself NFEd from future EAG classes. Probably an irrational fear, but I really didn't want to fuck up everyone else's training.

EVTC was a fantastic facility in a nice setting, and the weather gods decided to favor us, even if it got humid on T2.

Equipment:

I used EAG Loaner carbine #21(71?) on T1, which is a BCM 14.5" midlength with pinned Gunfighter Comp Mod 1 with a 9" KMR and a fixed front sight along with an Aimpoint T1. On T2 I got to use #124, which is a BCM 14.5" midlength with pinned Gunfighter Comp Mod 1, hammer forged barrel, Aimpoint T1, and a 13" KMR rail. Both guns were completely trouble-free; the only thing I did to them was hit the bolts with some SLIP each morning.

I brought ~750 rounds of Asym Precision training ammo (a mix of factory new and remanufactured) and it gave me zero problems. When I ran out a fellow student was generous enough to let me use some of his. Many thanks to both him and Martina who offered to let me use some of her ammunition as well.

My mags were mostly PMAGs and 2 Lancer mags, supplemented with some more PMAGs and 2 Tango Down MK2 mags generously provided by the sponsors. No problems other than my failing to seat one properly once on T1.

I was using a BCM 03 MSF Chest Harness that I bought from another member of Lightfighter.net a couple of years ago. I did have some issues with it, I think mostly due to unfamiliarity with using it. Some pouches were hard to get mags out of, sometimes due to interference with the sling, other times because specific pouches didn't want to play nice with the MK2 mags. I am thinking more practice with the rig will make things better, and/or possibly switching to mags on a belt.

I won't go into detail regarding the specific training, partially because drinking from the fire hose means I only retained so much, partially because I don't have my notes right now, and partially because if you really want to know you should just get to one of these classes.

Lots of learning occurred. Pat emphasizes efficiency a lot, which makes perfect sense; wasted movement = wasted time. He also teaches that his is a way, not the way. The way he covers subjects worked great for me. On subjects like tactical reloads, speed reloads, and malfunctions, he starts you out by breaking each individual step out and having the whole class perform the task step by step, then moving onto putting all the steps together and only calling out the start of the exercise. This, to me, was extremely helpful in both learning the movements as well as executing them properly at speed.

New things that I learned include but are by no means limited to: Monica, "prom night" during remedial action, shooting on the move, and that Pat thinks I look like the devil. Oh, and when Pat recommends you take any lose mags and other items out of your pockets before sprinting from the 50 to the 25 yard line, there's very good reasons to double check all your pockets and do what he tells you to do.

Things I need to improve upon include being more stable in positions other than prone, working with a chest rig, not rushing shots at further distances, and shooting on the move. Again, not an all inclusive list, as I think I need to work on pretty much everything we did in class, not just the things I do badly nor the things I do passably.

My fellow students helped to make the class a great one. Every one of them was helpful and friendly; when I mentioned I was running low on ammo I think 4 different people offered to give me some of theirs. Special thanks to Bill from MA for the bandaid, Joel for the ammo, Martina for the offer of two loaded mags at the end of T2, and LittleLebowski for the conversation and advice. If I missed anyone, I apologize and assure you it was not on purpose.

Many thanks to the sponsors (to whom I'll be writing thank you e-mails tonight), Martina for helping set up and camelback goodies, and most importantly to Pat, without whom none of it would be possible.

UWone77
5 August 2014, 09:40
Nice AAR. EAG has always been highly regarded. I thought you were taking that carbine you posted a pic of. Maybe I was mistaken? Did something happen to where you needed a loaner carbine?

And no pics? [:D]

Calengor
5 August 2014, 11:38
I posted pics of my ammo loadout. I am in the process of selling my 16" unused upper, so I didn't take that rifle (advertised as unused, don't want to be disreputable and all that) and didn't want to deal with the hassle of taking any of my SBRs. Plus I figured I'd give EAG and BCM more data points :P

BCM ELW-F 14.5" upper has been delivered to my house today, can't wait to get home and unbox it. That will leave me with two SBRs, one carbine, and a completed lower needing an upper. I'll get pics of the new upper/lower combo as soon as I get a chance.

As far as pics, I took my camera stuff just in case, but didn't want to detract from focusing on the course by taking pics. Pat took a bunch, some of which are here: Lightfigher.net Link (http://www.lightfighter.net/topic/aar-eag-basic-carbine-evtc-wv-02-03aug2014)

FortTom
3 September 2014, 14:04
As promised in another thread:

AAR EAG Tactical Basic Carbine Class 02-03Aug2014 Echo Valley Training Center, WV

Even though I don't have a lot of classes under my belt, this was the best class I have taken to date.
Lots of learning occurred. Pat emphasizes efficiency a lot, which makes perfect sense; wasted movement = wasted time.

He also teaches that his is a way, not the way. This last statement is the most honest statement I've heard on any forum in a long, long time, specifically directed to training...[:)]

Wish it was a more prevalent among trainers, and instilled in the minds of (especially) new trainees.

Sounds like you had a great time and gained a lot.