PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

Ride4frnt
5 August 2014, 15:41
I've recently made the executive decision that I need to start reading more and stop wasting away watching pointless television.

Anyone else on here enjoy a good book? Maybe some of you are looking for what to read next.

I'm just looking for some recommendations as far as what you guys have read and enjoyed.

Recently I've read "Shop Class as Soulcraft." The book deals with the challenges and pleasures of working with ones hands as a tool. This applies to me as that's the kind of person I am.

Some of you (or all) may have read the one I'm currently working on, "Glock: The Rise of Americas Gun." This is the story of how the Glock pistol came to be out of a little workshop in Austria and it's rise to prominence today. The author can be contradictory at times, but overall I'm enjoying it as a fan of the pistol and firearms in general.

If you guys like military non-fiction, I suggest "Climb to Conquer." This is the true story of the implementation of the 10th Mountain Division during WWII, and how we very well could've lost the war without the help of these troops. This one was right up my alley because I am a skier as well.

What have you guys got?

GaSwamper
5 August 2014, 16:31
Half a King. Pretty mild for me but I really like Joe Abercrombie who usually writes pretty dark grim. If you like working with your hands and like making things try your hand at wood turning sometime.

Uffdaphil
5 August 2014, 17:03
For fiction i highly recommend Stephen Hunter's Swagger books. Must be read in order. My all-time favorite is the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. Napoleonic era sailing books. I had zero interest in these types of novels before O'Brian. Far above Forester and everyone else. Really gives a feel for wind powered naval tactics and the finer points of sailing. You will become invested in the two main characters.

In Non-fiction I like biographies best. The stories of Carlos Hathcock, Viet Nam sniper and uber WW2 Marine Chesty Puller are incredible.

GOST
5 August 2014, 17:09
Memoirs of a Geisha

Ride4frnt
5 August 2014, 17:21
For fiction i highly recommend Stephen Hunter's Swagger books. Must be read in order. My all-time favorite is the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. Napoleonic era sailing books. I had zero interest in these types of novels before O'Brian. Far above Forester and everyone else. Really gives a feel for wind powered naval tactics and the finer points of sailing. You will become invested in the two main characters.

In Non-fiction I like biographies best. The stories of Carlos Hathcock, Viet Nam sniper and uber WW2 Marine Chesty Puller are incredible.

Funny story, unrelated to books, I'm very good friends with Carlos Hathcock III, the snipers son.

I joined a fishing forum a few years ago, and had known of Carlos Hathcock beforehand. The moderator of the Potomac River board on the forum goes by username Carlos H and his avatar features the USMC insignia. Never thought anything of it, fished with him numerous times, been to his house, seen his vehicle. One day it hit me the license plate on his truck says "SNIPER". That was my holy shit moment. Come to find out, yes he is the son of THE Carlos Hathcock. Since then we've become even closer (very tight knit community on that forum as we have numerous gatherings a year, mostly at his house actually) have heard many awesome stories and seen some even more awesome guns (unfired M25 sniper rifles, some of his fathers personal collection, etc). Some of his dads things have been donated to the Marine Corps museum here at Quantico, but most of that stuff is still in the family. It's awesome to see and hear about.

What's bad is that Carlos III and his wife and mother still have to issue cease and desist orders regularly to people impersonating his father, via Facebook or otherwise.

Actually just got a text from Carlos about 20 mins ago.

XACT_ABORT
5 August 2014, 18:09
I'm about halfway through Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand... Author of Seabiscuit.

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

I have been really busy lately so I have kind of fallen off but I enjoy it so far. Non-fiction, rumored to soon be a movie. Check it out if you're into that type of stuff. I have also purchased recently a 3 book set of Raylan Givens (Justified on TV) Elmore Leonard books. That guy has quite a track record, really a dialogue master.Might check him out too.

Ride4frnt
5 August 2014, 18:17
I'm about halfway through Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand... Author of Seabiscuit.

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

I have been really busy lately so I have kind of fallen off but I enjoy it so far. Non-fiction, rumored to soon be a movie. Check it out if you're into that type of stuff. I have also purchased recently a 3 book set of Raylan Givens (Justified on TV) Elmore Leonard books. That guy has quite a track record, really a dialogue master.Might check him out too.

I'll have to check the justified books. I have the first few Walt Longmire books, which are sort of along the same line.

Also by Elmore Leonard, "Rum Punch" which is the basis for one of my favorite movies, Jackie Brown. And "Get Shorty".

FortTom
5 August 2014, 18:18
Earnest Hemmingway - Short Story's. I've read these all before, over the years, but I got a leather bound copy as a gift from my daughter, and enjoy them just the same. Probably my all time favorite author.

FT

UWone77
5 August 2014, 18:24
Earnest Hemmingway - Short Story's. I've read these all before, over the years, but I got a leather bound copy as a gift from my daughter, and enjoy them just the same. Probably my all time favorite author.

FT

FT, I thought you and I would be the types of guys that enjoyed flip up/pop up books? I guess I had you pegged wrong. [:D]

jennecarter
15 September 2014, 03:32
The last book I finished was Mary Coin by Marisa Silver, which was a fairly quick and compelling read. I also recently loved the latest Chuck Klosterman treatise, I Wear the Black Hat.

FortTom
15 September 2014, 12:19
FT, I thought you and I would be the types of guys that enjoyed flip up/pop up books? I guess I had you pegged wrong. [:D]
Don't know how you got by me with this one, so I'll just respond:

Die Pig, Die.......[:D]

Ride4frnt
15 September 2014, 12:50
Don't know how you got by me with this one, so I'll just respond:

Die Pig, Die.......[:D]

So...FT has been reading helter skelter. Speaking of, I recently read "Restless Souls" which is the Sharon Tate family's side of the Manson murders. Pretty interesting to hear the story from both perspectives.

Naytwan
15 September 2014, 12:57
Do books on SQL count?

Ty_higg
15 September 2014, 16:22
Right now I'm about to finish No Easy Day, and just got done reading Lone Survivor, and American Sniper. Great books next Ill probably read American Gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHSmithIV
15 September 2014, 17:10
Personally Ride4frnt - I love books. I'm out of new ones though and there's nowhere to buy any here int he mountains. I hit the local library as the weather gets colder then take time in the evenings to read.

We don't even own a TV here - not much point either - there is no signal to an antenna here in the valley. I research a lot using the internet too. Which reminds me - after dinner I have to look up that actual water rights laws in Idaho for someone since I know where to find them on-line.

I'm quite sure I spend more time reading than I do on the computer, driving and shooting together. I certainly do as much shooting as I can too. I hate to be out of practice.

tuckerman725
15 September 2014, 17:58
Just finished Target American, the newest Sniper Elite by Scott McEwen and just started On Scope by Jack Coughlin. Neither one is a bad time waster.

Ride4frnt
15 September 2014, 18:12
Preordered my copy of "The Reaper" today.

tact
15 September 2014, 19:45
Preordered my copy of "The Reaper" today.

Me too......I think I'll try out his rifle too!

GOST
15 September 2014, 20:07
Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.

egress81
15 September 2014, 20:22
Just finished "America's secret MiG squadron" by Col. Peck. I work with a guy who used to be a crew chief in the programs early days. Its pretty interesting to hear some of his stories about how the Russians built their aircraft.

avtech850
17 September 2014, 16:54
I generally go through a few books a week so I am always looking for something new to read. I would avoid American guns though, it wasn't near as good as American Sniper and honestly just this side of wiping paper. YMMV though. I love anything by Ernest Hemingway and have been slowly been collecting leather bound editions. Laura Hildebraund is another all time favorite as del as anything by Steven Hunter. Vince Flynn also had some seriously good stuff, it truly sucked when he died of heart failure in his early forties. Tom CLancy is also a great read. Currently though I am re-reading History by Plutarch, one of the greatest literary minds of all time. I was turned on too him when i was going through a Louis L'amore kick in middle school and noticed Plutarch was mentioned in pretty much every one of his novels.

FortTom
17 September 2014, 19:55
So...FT has been reading helter skelter. Speaking of, I recently read "Restless Souls" which is the Sharon Tate family's side of the Manson murders. Pretty interesting to hear the story from both perspectives.
Ha..ha..great! You picked up on that... I wondered if anyone would get it, albeit a sick situation that involved horrible deaths of innocent people.. Even worse, though is that the Beatles did the song and Guns 'N Roses covered it. GNR must have really been short on material.:P[crazy]

Ride4frnt
17 September 2014, 20:07
Ha..ha..great! You picked up on that... I wondered if anyone would get it, albeit a sick situation that involved horrible deaths of innocent people.. Even worse, though is that the Beatles did the song and Guns 'N Roses covered it. GNR must have really been short on material.:P[crazy]

I don't remember a GNR cover. You thinking of the Crüe?

Computalotapus
18 September 2014, 04:22
Reading 13 Hours the accounts of what happened on the ground in Benghazi
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

FortTom
18 September 2014, 10:50
Reading 13 Hours the accounts of what happened on the ground in Benghazi
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1
The true story or the State Department/Whitehouse version?

Ride4frnt
18 September 2014, 10:54

That's why I'm reluctant to read no easy day. Which version of the story is true?

FortTom
18 September 2014, 11:01
I don't remember a GNR cover. You thinking of the Crüe? You're right, GNR didn't cover it, but about 35 other bands did, most notably Aerosmith and U2, U2 just opened with the song live, but didn't record it. Check out Wikipedia. I had no I idea how many people covered that song, indluding, as you said, Crue. GNR did cover a Charles Manson song, called "look at your game girl", on the Spaghetti Incident, which all of the band members fought with Rose over. So, nothing related to that book.

Still, good call on the book.[:D]

FT

Uffdaphil
18 September 2014, 14:49
For some reason I am fascinated by Age of Sail novels. Especially those that detail the techniques of sailing and sea warfare. The Patrick O'Brian series is the best by far. Also great are C.S.Forester, Dewey Lambdin and Julian Stockwin. Currently reading the first in new series by S. Thomas Russell- Under Enemy Colors.

The Sharpe's Rifles series is decent compliment for a basic understanding of land warfare in the same era.

Computalotapus
18 September 2014, 14:56

Story as told by the people on the ground as the events happened. Not the bloated BS Whitehouse version.

akersc
18 September 2014, 17:29
I'm reading Wevo and some WEVO oh and did I mention Wevo? I cannot find a book that can keep my interest right now 😣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egress81
24 September 2014, 09:32
Just finished "Lions of Kandahar". Good book and amazing feat that was accomplished with a such a small force.

I just realized haven't finished "Fighter Pilot" about Col. Robin Olds. I need to get on that.

jim.bell
24 September 2014, 15:36
I typically read fiction for fun. Highly recommend David Weber and John Ringo. I am re-reading Honor of the Queen right now. My professional reading is currently "The Toyota Way" and "Data Science for Business". I do not recommend the last two unless you have insomnia.

Liberal_Strong
25 September 2014, 01:34
Finishing Lone Survivor. Guilty of not having done so months ago when I started. After that will be Service by Luttrell or The Way of the Knife.

DutyUse
25 September 2014, 16:46
Currently reading "On Combat" by Dave Grossman.

RobSWVA
25 September 2014, 20:01
I mostly stick to fiction for reading entertainment, plus most non fiction stuff that interests me can be easily found online, so....anyway, been stuck on Clive Cussler for quite a while now, building up quite a hardback collection of his stuff. Get into some of the sci-fi/fantasy stuff too if its well written, e.g. stuff by Mark Chadbourn, R.A. Salvatore, that kind of thing. Chadbourn is great though, has a way of writing that mixes real world aspect w/ sci-fi/fantasy, so it is readable by people that may not normally go for that kind of thing