PDA

View Full Version : What drives your "build"?

rob_s
15 August 2014, 06:17
I'm curious to hear folks take on what motivates/drives their selections when assembling an AR or modifying an AR they already own. Are you still motivated today by the things that drove your choices when you started? Do the reasons you choose parts for a "build" today match the reasons you bought your first AR, or first gun in general?

My first AR was a "build" of sorts, given that I ordered a complete upper and complete lower seperately from Bushmaster because I couldn't afford both at once. My upper got sent to GG&G to have their flipup front-sight/gas-block installed. This would have been sometime in 1998 or 1999, I think. The only "midlength" back then was the Armalite, and the only rails I knew of were the KAC and they were most certainly not free-floated. My uncle, who at the time was my inspiration for just about all things firearm since he worked at Gunsite, was doing an AR "Scout" rifle using an armalite, and I decided to follow his lead with a Bushmaster. I had to use a giant rail which attached to the flat-top upper (a relative new and novel thing at the time, at least where I lived), then rings, then the Burris Scout scope I was using (again, couldn't afford the Leupold my uncle used).

That was a hard lesson. What I found out was that for my kind of shooting (primarily plinking at cans and other found objects and targets at 50 yards), the Scout AR was useless. My roommate's Bushmaster Dissipator with A2 carry handle was way faster and a lot more fun. So I bought an AK for $400 and never shot the Scout AR much.

Then I found AR15.com, and my head exploded. Look at all these cool guns with all these cool gizmos and doo-dads! And all these people getting props form other strangers on the internet for their awesome builds! And the hierarchy of who "likes" your "build" seeming to matter to a whole lot of people. If a forum expert liked your gun, you were bigkingdingaling.

So I built up TWO guns with all the hot-snot parts of the day. 12.0 Larue handguards on one, shorter DD on the other. Vltor stock on one, Magpul on the other. Tango Down grip on one, Ergo on the other. Aimpoint on one, Eotech on the other. You get the idea. Looked for the top hot-snot parts, picked the "best" two, and put one on each gun.

I hated both guns, when I got them to the range. But one, the Larue/Aimpoint one, got all the encouraging comments on the internet!

So I sold them both. and I bought two Colt 6520s (there were no 6720s at the time). Did a flattop conversion on one, and put the best parts from each of the two test-bed guns on it, and kept the other one stock.

What I learned from all of that is that, while "building" is fun, if the mishmash of parts doesn't help me at the range, with the kind of shooting I do, then all the pretty in the world doesn't matter. coated this, painted that, various aesthetic machining, etc. Part selection, for me, is often based on "looks", but only insofar as it may "look" like it would work better for me on the range because of one physical feature or another. if it looks stupid but it works, it's not stupid.

So my fiddle-fart now is restricted to trying new things, and never on my "go to" guns. You'd think that after all this time I'd have learned, since that original 6520 has changed almost none, and the follow-on copycat 6933 hasn't changed much either. but I still trudge away, I think largely because I'm male and males like fiddle-farting. that's why every dude has a list of mods the day he drives the car off the lot. That's why every motorcycle forum is full of "the first mods you have to make" threads for every bike.

So what's your motivation? Use? Fiddle-Fart? Aesthetics? Some combination thereof? What percentage? I'd give mine a 75% use, 25% fiddle fart (in a vain attempt to improve use), and 0% aesthetics.

Naytwan
15 August 2014, 11:26
My last build was out of the pure joy of building them and the coolness of the M4E1 upper. The build I had before that was a purpose driven build. I decided I wanted a home defense gun so all my part selections were geared toward that. Even choosing a keymod rail, the idea was to keep the profile of the rifle as low as possible.

Deckard
15 August 2014, 11:41
My motivations on a build is what I'm building it for (Use). Right now I'm building a lightweight "do it all" carbine, it's not a home defense rifle so I can "fiddle-fart" a little. Since I don't have a ton of money to spend I usually have to research before I buy anything. Looks may play a small role but function trumps it. If I had the money I'd probably mess around with a bunch of parts but I can't, which is the whole purpose of forums. You all test parts for me and I'll just choose what seems to be the best for its intended purpose. The biggest thing I've taken away from reading a lot is shoot first buy components later, parts are not just parts, go train, and think about need vs want. I'd say I'm 80% use, 15% aesthetic, and 5% fiddle.

MoxyDave
15 August 2014, 15:11
Great question Rob. I've been building ARs for 20 years and my motivations and interests have changed quite a bit. I started out with a Bushmaster Dissipator flattop way back in the day and I've built pretty much every variety of AR possible. I've been through every phase of "ooh shiny!" and managed to put just about every sight, light and other doo-dad on my guns at one point or another.

Throughout that time I did not spend a lot of time shooting. For me it was mostly a hobby of building stuff. So I was continually fascinated by the latest gizmo to come out. Now there are far too many gizmos for me to keep up as the market has completely exploded over the past several years. So I did not get a feel for what really is important, it was all just a fantasy in my mind of what *probably works or not. I did some shooting, but not enough to really understand why or why not to use a particular part.

Within the past couple of years I've become far more interested in shooting than building ARs. I've focused entirely on that skill set and it's taught me quite a few things. My favorite build now is a lot different than it was years ago. Now instead of all the whiz-bang junk I tend to focus on simplicity and weight. My favorite builds now have a pencil barrel, a red dot and not much else. Maybe a small light if the intended use is defense rather than competition or plinking. I enjoy the ergonomic accessories such as a 45 degree safety, the increased vertical angle of the newer grips, that sort of thing ... but it's much easier for me to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak, when I see a new gizmo on one of the various forums.

I'm not sure I could have gotten to this point without doing all these builds, and lately spending more time shooting than building. I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to build this long list of various type ARs and learn directly from my own experience. Unlike some things, where I can learn from the experience of others this is something I just had to learn for myself.

Recently I went shooting with an old friend who is relatively new to ARs. He picked up my lightweight AR and absolutely loved it. The look on his face when he first grabbed it was priceless! He ended up shooting mine all day instead of the one he brought. That's been my experience every single time I bring out the lightweight, simple build.

So long story short, after building ARs for 20 years here is my favorite setup:

- Lightweight hammer-forged "pencil" barrel with mid-length gas system
- Battlecomp or similar muzzle device to almost completely eliminate muzzle rise
- Chrome Silicon springs to eliminate the typical M4 "Twang!"
- CTR or similar simple, adjustable stock
- The lightest 10" rail I can find
- Standard forged upper & lower (lighter and stronger than billet)
- Good trigger (ALG QMS or better)
- Grip with more vertical angle such as UC Grip 23
- 45 degree selector
- High-quality red dot with commonly available battery that lasts at least one year
- Metal back up sights

There are a shitload of parts out there that meet these specs so I use whatever's cheapest nowadays. Wait for the $50 PSA lower deals, that sort of thing ... but you just can't expect good performance from cheap optics so you always have to spend some cash to get the good stuff there.

My motivations now are all about light weight, ruggedness and simplicity. Back in the day it was all about shiny & cool because I didn't know any better.

I suspect once anyone begins shooting more than wrenching they will come to the same conclusions. Maybe it won't take them as much time & money as it did for me [:)] (although I have enjoyed the process)

Ride4frnt
15 August 2014, 15:42
Simple answer as to why I build mine is that Maryland is trying to make them illegal.

My very first was a HBAR bushmaster that i paid $400 for. No frills, carry handle, m4 stock, a2 front post, hand guard. Used that to plink with til I turned 21.

My first "build" was a stripped spikes lower that I built with a mil spec parts kit and CTR stock. Bought a complete spikes 14.5" mid upper w/pinned dynacomp with a magpul handguard and a vortex sparc. That's the gun I use primarily for range use and the HD gun.

Then built a 16" noveske barreled .300blk to be used for deer hunting. Wanted something a little beefier to carry around in the woods and get dinged up. Uses a magpul STR stock with a 12" seekins BAR and an AAC blackout flash hider for eventual suppressor use. This gun needs new optics as the scope it had wasn't cutting it.

Last build was a 18" build on a seekins billet lower and CMT billet upper. Use that as a mid-long range plinker/varmint gun when I take out groundhogs at the local ski resort (park truck at bottom of the mountain and lay in the bed and shoot up the mountain all day, dad is a manager there, that's how I swing that). The gun features a 18" black hole weaponry polygonal 5 groove rifling, geissele ssa-e trigger and rainier RAC brake with a 15" rainier force rail. Currently has a a2 stock but that will change when I decide on a different fixed stock, likely just a MOE fixed stock, maybe a LUTH stock.

Currently I'm in the middle of building a budget pistol. Anderson stripped lower, aero upper. Hex 2 buffer system and sb15 brace. Still need a barrel and hand guard, but the idea behind it is to do it as cheap as possible but still use quality parts. Right now I'm looking at about $800 when said and done. Will use a 10.5" barrel and kak flash can. Most likely a primary arms advanced micro dot with fortis mount. Will probably take the place as my main range plinker and hd gun depending on performance, and then I will do some modifications on the 14.5" spikes.

mustangfreek
15 August 2014, 15:42
What motivates me...hummm...just cruising thru this forum is all i need....

I might have a problem...lol

Cobalt
15 August 2014, 17:17
I sold my first "beginners" AR a couple of years go. Then built a setup just as "supposed" to be a top tier. (That was a load of BS). So I recently bought a BCM BFH 16in with the 13in KMR and now my AR is close to where I want it to be. Just need to pickup an Aimpoint H-1 in a LaRaue Mount and B5 Bravo in Wolf Gray.

Cobalt
15 August 2014, 17:23
What motivates me...hummm...just cruising thru this forum is all i need....

I might have a problem...lol

Don't we all?

schambers
15 August 2014, 17:34
I always start with a set of minimum requirements that I want a build to meet and work from there. In my latest build for example, I wanted a short rifle that had little recoil, little to no muzzle flash and reduced side concussion. This eventually lead me to the LVOA upper. Along with the SBR tax stamp I paid more than I really wanted to, but it fulfilled all the requirements better than any other setup I could find or put together. It's also locally made so I figured follow on support would be good as well.

I also aim to keep as many similarities as I can between systems and I usually buy from manufacturers that I'm familiar with. I try to keep an open mind towards new things or ideas but after buying, being issued or trying out more parts and systems than I can count, I've found what basic configurations work best for me.

This has eventually lead me to end up with DI gas systems, reasonably priced receivers, Bravo barrels, B5 butt stocks, Magpul pistol grips and Geiselle triggers in all my builds... With the exception of the LVOA build, I decided to put in a heavier single stage CMC trigger (I don't yet feel comfortable moving around in confined spaces with a light two stage).

I don't mean to sound like an ass but the majority of new attachments and bits don't get me very excited so once my builds are done they generally stay static, with the exception of optics. I mess with those a lot.

Fiddle-fart

Calengor
15 August 2014, 19:16
I will admit to aesthetics being original drivers on my early buys and builds. As time has progressed and I've learned things / matured, aesthetics still play a part in it, but form should follow function, and if it can do the job AND look good, then I'm all for it. If something looks awesome but doesn't do the job or doesn't do the job as well as something else, it's not getting used.

First Buy:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qF_T5rGCUb4/TETtQgomDmI/AAAAAAAAAq8/yF9vDMeldl4/w848-h636-no/DSCN0075.JPG
LWRCI M6A3. Heavy, threw every magpul thing I could find on it, didn't do anything a lighter, more balanced, DI rifle would do. Eventually sold it to buy a SCAR16, another rifle which wasn't doing anything for me personally that a DI AR could, that eventually got sold as well.

First Build:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-RrDtTvKrOlE/TaOz_EGIY1I/AAAAAAAABGI/2nyXfRPceh0/w950-h636-no/DSC_1110.JPG
Spikes Lower, used some take-off parts from the M6A3, an LWRCI LPK, and added a BCM Lightweight upper. The scope on it in this picture was just to demonstrate something to someone, it usually had an H1 on it. This was a step towards function only, but perhaps it lacked some aesthetics for my liking at the time. Sold this guy to get into a LaRue PredatAR in an effort to go as light weight as possible, but got laid off the day I sold it, so kept the money and didn't get the LaRue (I'd probably still be waiting for it several years later...)

Second Build 1.0:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-cTt58LX0I6s/Tz_sYXAY8wI/AAAAAAAABeE/T1uakgvnQw8/w851-h636-no/185DF1EC-D539-4605-BA48-A4DA3381142C.JPG
Engage Armament Lower with LWRCI LPK, Centurion Arms upper. I took my first carbine class with this rifle. Still fairly KISS, preferred the rail to the MOE handguards, went down to 14.5" with pinned BC 1.5 for some recoil alleviation and OAL management. Sold this upper in order to get something without a fixed front sight.

Second Build 2.0:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-PQE3_4B2cbU/UmRXSicet_I/AAAAAAAAJrU/pFmwUM0N-y4/w1116-h628-no/DSC_7438-Edit.jpg
Moved into a Geissele MK4 handguard for lighter weight and keeping rails only where I needed them, as well as getting rid of the fixed front sight. I never fired this upper and it's in the process of being sold. I regretted going from the awesome centurion barrel at 14.5" to an FN government profile 16" barrel. It also has a NiBor BCG, but I wasn't sure I needed it, since my regular BCM and CA BCGs do their job just fine.

Second Build 3.0:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AyCO2T2cRRc/U-Fx4GiVdwI/AAAAAAAAMKI/RD1j0uV22sw/w954-h636-no/DSC_2438-Edit-Edit.jpg
14.5" ELW-F KMR upper from BCM. This will get the sling, T1, and a light pretty soon. The light weight of the KMR and ELW-F barrel make it very easy to point, less tiring, etc. The slim KMR profile is great for my hand size as well. The Gunfighter comp I got to try out recently and like how it felt plus it not being like most brakes. I don't think this rifle will change any more. Aesthetically, the KMR really had to grow on me, but after getting it in my hands and using it at an EAG tactical class it sold itself (even if I'd bought my upper almost immediately before leaving for class)

Two offshots:

First Built SBR, wanted something handier for inside the house that was also reliable. Went with Centurion Arms MK18 upper on a lower I put together myself. I sometimes wish I'd gone with an 11.5" upper instead of 10.5", but I wont be getting rid of the MK18 upper unless someone makes me a retarded high offer. The Geissele SD-C trigger is phenomenal, and eventually I plan on putting one of these in all of my rifles.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-x5763QP3Kyg/UPHzF5OF3cI/AAAAAAAADPA/OorduFUPu1M/w950-h636-no/DSC_1493.JPG

First bought SBR. Impulse purchase. Retarded short. Piston gun because at 8" DI isn't very reliable. Bought it mostly because it looks cool, coincidentally it also works well, so it has that going for it.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/JNRB8319qcTwl5SRTqGLjPMNT9vkQM8CmLSvGpj0XNk=w1018-h636-no

Where to go from here? Unfortunately in MD I can no longer build new ARs with anything other than a heavy barrel unless they're SBRs, so it's unlikely I'll build another rifle from scratch. I will eventually get a BCM pistol lower (still allowed, go figure) and throw an 11.5" KMR upper on it, mostly for ease of interstate travel vs. my SBRs.

Ride4frnt
15 August 2014, 19:55
I will admit to aesthetics being original drivers on my early buys and builds. As time has progressed and I've learned things / matured, aesthetics still play a part in it, but form should follow function, and if it can do the job AND look good, then I'm all for it. If something looks awesome but doesn't do the job or doesn't do the job as well as something else, it's not getting used.

First Buy:

LWRCI M6A3. Heavy, threw every magpul thing I could find on it, didn't do anything a lighter, more balanced, DI rifle would do. Eventually sold it to buy a SCAR16, another rifle which wasn't doing anything for me personally that a DI AR could, that eventually got sold as well.

First Build:

Spikes Lower, used some take-off parts from the M6A3, an LWRCI LPK, and added a BCM Lightweight upper. The scope on it in this picture was just to demonstrate something to someone, it usually had an H1 on it. This was a step towards function only, but perhaps it lacked some aesthetics for my liking at the time. Sold this guy to get into a LaRue PredatAR in an effort to go as light weight as possible, but got laid off the day I sold it, so kept the money and didn't get the LaRue (I'd probably still be waiting for it several years later...)

Second Build 1.0:

Engage Armament Lower with LWRCI LPK, Centurion Arms upper. I took my first carbine class with this rifle. Still fairly KISS, preferred the rail to the MOE handguards, went down to 14.5" with pinned BC 1.5 for some recoil alleviation and OAL management. Sold this upper in order to get something without a fixed front sight.

Second Build 2.0:

Moved into a Geissele MK4 handguard for lighter weight and keeping rails only where I needed them, as well as getting rid of the fixed front sight. I never fired this upper and it's in the process of being sold. I regretted going from the awesome centurion barrel at 14.5" to an FN government profile 16" barrel. It also has a NiBor BCG, but I wasn't sure I needed it, since my regular BCM and CA BCGs do their job just fine.

Second Build 3.0:

14.5" ELW-F KMR upper from BCM. This will get the sling, T1, and a light pretty soon. The light weight of the KMR and ELW-F barrel make it very easy to point, less tiring, etc. The slim KMR profile is great for my hand size as well. The Gunfighter comp I got to try out recently and like how it felt plus it not being like most brakes. I don't think this rifle will change any more. Aesthetically, the KMR really had to grow on me, but after getting it in my hands and using it at an EAG tactical class it sold itself (even if I'd bought my upper almost immediately before leaving for class)

Two offshots:

First Built SBR, wanted something handier for inside the house that was also reliable. Went with Centurion Arms MK18 upper on a lower I put together myself. I sometimes wish I'd gone with an 11.5" upper instead of 10.5", but I wont be getting rid of the MK18 upper unless someone makes me a retarded high offer. The Geissele SD-C trigger is phenomenal, and eventually I plan on putting one of these in all of my rifles.

First bought SBR. Impulse purchase. Retarded short. Piston gun because at 8" DI isn't very reliable. Bought it mostly because it looks cool, coincidentally it also works well, so it has that going for it.

Where to go from here? Unfortunately in MD I can no longer build new ARs with anything other than a heavy barrel unless they're SBRs, so it's unlikely I'll build another rifle from scratch. I will eventually get a BCM pistol lower (still allowed, go figure) and throw an 11.5" KMR upper on it, mostly for ease of interstate travel vs. my SBRs.

That has been a fine collection

Cobalt
15 August 2014, 21:37
I love my KMR, I hope to take my BCM Upper to the range here soon and test it out. I've never shot a midlength with a comp before. used to carbine length and a2 flash hider.

rob_s
16 August 2014, 06:22
One thing that stands out to me as a common thread here is how people' striving force changes when they go from safe-stuffer or model-builder to shooter. Some think that only means because:gunfight, but there are lots of different types of shooters, even when it comes to the AR. there's hunters, linkers, action competition shooters, bench rest (competition and just for fun) shooters, professional users (like active-duty cops and military), etc.

Having been around a lot of shooters for quite a long time, I have actually witnessed the transformation firsthand in a LOT of guys. Guys that come out to their first match wanting to show off their Multicam, NIB parts, and the skulls-head mag release button that very quickly start to seek out the better performing shooters and ask questions about the guns and gear that help them achieve those results.

I think building strictly for looks, or for something to do, or just to have something else in the safe is cool, it's just not for me. Sometimes it's hard to tell where one falls on the spectrum when they post "this is my SHTFantasy ulti-build" and then got on to list a bunch of parts that just don't meet with that goal.

Computalotapus
16 August 2014, 07:52
My first rifle was issued to me back in 92. Carried a M-203 for 4 years. In my eyes nothing will ever replace that weapon. But I am a civilian now and have no need for anything like that haha. For years I have wanted to get something similar to the 203 I carried while I was enlisted, but other things had priority and an AR was just a want. My wife knew I wanted another rifle and in 2013 for Father's Day I was given my S&W M&P 15 Mid Magpul MOE rifle. I had grand ideas of reliving my military years...those ideas were short lived. So I spent time re-familiarizing myself with the platform. During this time of re-familiarizing myself with the platform my wife showed interest and I had an interest in building a rifle.

So our first build was killing 2 birds with one stone so to speak. The rifle for her the joy of the build for me. We did a lot of research and asked what was the intended use of the rifle and what requirements needed to be met for her to be able to manipulate the weapon system. My wife is short 5' to be exact. So something compact and lightweight was in order. The intended use was something she could bench shoot at the range. UCWRG receiver set, BCM Lightweight Mid 14.5" barrel, Phase 5 Muzzle Brake to help with recoil and muzzle rise, CTR stock and a Phase 5 13" rail. Lightweight and compact. This has a 3x9 optic that we are T&E'n and will probably get a Harris Bi-Pod. But this is now her rifle to make the changes to.

With my build experience I was ready to look at what I wanted to try. I thought I would try my hand at some competition shooting and looked into what was available in my area. Current build is exactly for this purpose with a secondary purpose as my T&E platform for trying new things. We have 2 more builds that we want to do after this one. The wife would like a pistol build and I want to do an SBR/PDW build.

These forums are a huge source of information on new product and product reviews. The bloggers that frequent here motivate me to educate myself on products before jumping in with both feet. Other members here make me ask myself "do I need this or do I just want it, what purpose will it serve and does it improve performance and reliability".

When people ask me about building a rifle I direct them to WEVO and tell them before buying anything do your homework and that these forums are a huge source of knowledge.

jim.bell
16 August 2014, 08:10
I worked in a shop part time and bought a Bushy M-4 with an Aimpoint. I like it. Never had any issues with it, but admittedly I don't have 20,000 round through it. After the AWB expired, I installed a collapsing stock, and had the muzzle threaded for a flash suppressor. Why did I buy it? Well, 'cause I wanted it, all the other kids had one and I always wanted to be a cool kid.

Since my daughter was born 11 years ago, I've been slowly stashing parts away and building the rifle I wanted. Still a carbine, this time with a scope and float tube. One more month and it should be done except for deciding on the scope. Why this build? Well, because I want it. I want a rifle that I could use for moderated ranged varmints, range time, and daughter training. I think once this is complete, the bushy will get a rework, and maybe a .300 will be next. Wouldn't be a bad whitetail rifle...

The current build is how I found this place, a buddy showed me a Stickman picture and that led me to follow his page, which lead me to a link to this place, which lead me to...

I think I am saying that Stickman's images are a gateway drug...

Uffdaphil
16 August 2014, 10:05
I was in our postal pistol club since we had a range in the basement built for fed LEOs. But hadn't touched an AR since my M-16 in 1969. But then Obama was re-elected and I decided we had passed the turning point where more were taking out than paying in, hence SHTF inevitable at some point. With five sibs with families and only one hunter among them, I made a deal. I will arm us all and they will provide the chow. At least they are stocking up on consumables.

So having researched a bit I first bought a complete DD V7. Did not like the smooth tube hand guard. Slippery when wet. Then bought a couple PSA uppers and misc stripped lowers for serviceable if not top tier guns for the family. Then it hit me -- how can I give loved ones guns I would not bet my own life on? As I live alone and ex-wives can't say no, the build party started. So far I've assembled probably 15 ARs in the last couple years, selling and swapping as I figure out what I prefer. I don't install barrels or rails as two guys I've gotten to know well have an AR/AK custom shop just a few blocks from me and I buy enough parts that they usually give me free labor.

Percentage breakdown: Shooting 30%, Group life insurance 50%, Fiddle-fart 15%, Aesthetics 5%. The last because I don't like the looks of some perfectly good parts. And I did get some sweet WEVO pmags. I just cannot board the Cerakote train. Love the looks, but every time I'm tempted, I upgrade optics instead. Glass is my Kryptonite.

My first pure fiddle-fart project is currently waiting on a barrel. 7.5" uber light weight pistol just for grins.

Aragorn
16 August 2014, 13:24
My drive to do an AR build started on the eve of the 2008 presidential election. I was a competitive shooter (pistols USPSA) and at the time also worked retail in a gun shop. Despite that I never really had much love for the platform. However, before Nov. 4th I decided to get crackin' on building one while I knew I still could. I wanted to build instead of buy because it was easier to afford one part at a time and really study the different parts I'd be buying. That first AR was a tank. Vltor MUR upper, DD lower, DD 10" lite rail, centurion 16" barrel, UBR, Failzero BCG, Aimpoint Comp M4. Indestructible but heavy. I loved building it as much as shooting it, and thought I could do better. I loved (still do) getting into the details, the materials IN the materials, perfect optimization on how to make things run as reliably and smoothly as possible. Despite my competitive background though, my builds have always come together with an eye towards the unknown, what if the day comes when it's NOT all fun and games? It's a big driving factor in why I prefer flash surpressors over brakes, and why I doubt I'll ever own a pure race gun. Even in USPSA I use my carry piece.

All that said, it's also become something of my version of garage therapy. At least when I have the time and resources.

The drive (drive as in Why I build) hasn't changed pretty much at all, but the resulting rifle at the end certainly has. I like light, but balanced is even better. I know I don't really need more than a 10-11" forend because I learned first hand. I want my rifle to be a good team player and not be throwing blast or concussion at my buddy. I prefer smaller round forends and don't really need a rail anywhere other than 12:00, and that's just so I can attach a BUIS. On that note I finally came to terms that I really don't need a weapon light attached all the time, or really even at all since it's my M&P that runs nightstand duty. I have a surefire mini scout, I figure that as long as I have provisions to attach it should the S ever really HTF, I'm good.

As for aesthetics, I love looking at pretty guns like so many that adorn this sight, but I don't think any of the ones I've built could be considered beautiful from a purely aesthetic standpoint. I think some vanity parts are cool, but I can count all the vanity parts I've ever bought on one hand and have three fingers left over.

The build I'm working on will be the culmination of all this, whenever I'm finally able to finish it.

UWone77
17 August 2014, 11:40
I've gone through the entire journey of buying whatever was available, all AR's are the same, figuring out what was quality components, attaching every whiz bang gadget as I might "need" it, to using just what works.

My first AR was during the AWB. It was a Bushmaster. Back then our department did not issue AR's, but you could buy your own and qualify with it. It was tough finding a non-neutered AR back then. Finally ended up buying someone else's from the department. The Bushmaster had never been fired at the time, and I ran it through a 1200 round class without a hiccup. Looking back on it, it was pretty accurate, even if I don't recall the specs on the barrel.

Over the years I did some more reading, and realized the Bushmaster was lower end, and probably needed to upgrade some components. After spending a ton of money I ended up changing out everything on that gun to the point where the only original part was the lower. Looking back on it, it was a dumb move. I should have either just sold the gun as it was and purchased a new one. I had spent more money on "upgrades" than a new rifle. I should have just shot the gun until it gave me problems, which it never did.

Fast forward, Eric (mod on this board) introduced me to the idea of owning more than 1 AR... what a concept I know. Then Stickman told me to check out Noveske Rifleworks if I was going to buy a premium AR. I had never owned a stripped lower until Noveske was giving out Lowers with a purchase of an upper at the time. That started my "building" from stripped lowers.

My current "builds" are geared towards marketing pictures so now that I have 70+ uppers, most of them are built for aesthetics because that's what sells. I still try to shoot all of them, but it's obvious hard to rotate that many. First world problems I know.

My personal shooters are geared towards duty use. White Light, Sling, Aimpoint Red Dot, and handguards are what all of my duty guns have. Some have some ambi controls as I'm a LH shooter. Less inclined to use the newest gadgets and bolts on when it comes to duty/HD guns. I also moved towards 16" barrels vs 14.5" on them. Remove one muzzle device and destroy it, just to change it out and you'll realize how expensive it is, and not worth the cost.

I also have guns built towards:

Suppressed use (always in the quest for less gas in the face where it be using Switchblocks, LH uppers, Pistons, ect)

NiB Project Guns (are these coatings really affecting reliability)

Loaner Guns

and now SBR's.

That's just a quick summary.

gatordev
17 August 2014, 13:08
Speaking strictly of carbines, all but two of my uppers I've built or purchased (and then modifed) have had two primary intents: 1) to experience how that particular setup worked, be it rail, optic, and/or barrel. 2) to have the same basic, simple setup of a rail, optic (usually with BUIS until recently), to be relatively lightweight (could range from "average" weight to light weight, depending on how far I wanted to go), and lately, to have the ability to mount a light if needed, though not necessarily a regular fixture.

It was a little bit of a journey across manufacturers to try what they had (BCM for my first...meh, but I think I just didn't get a great barrel...Noveske...BCM again, with happier results...KAC...Spike's 545 because it's cheap...and then Centurion Arms). I've enjoyed the education and continue to shoot them, rotating them each weekend in some form (plinking, drills, competition). The problem I find is that when I also try to add other weapon systems (WWII guns, pistols, etc) into the rotation, it gets complicated to stay "current" on them all.

The other two carbines that I've built that don't fall into the above categories were clones. And a huge part of that process that I enjoyed was the research to learn about the weapons (M4 Block 2 and the CQBR Block 0). They were just fun to learn about, build up, and then shoot, and initially had nothing to do with utility.

In the end, I've found that very little of the the basic setup of my guns has changed other than using handstops instead of VFGs (in part thanks to getting used to handstops in CA in order to get around, I mean "operate within the law"). What I did find was that I like MIADs, SOPMOD (or ACS/STR style) stocks, and that iron sights become much less useful to me outside of 50m due to age.

Soisauss
17 August 2014, 16:35
My builds are mostly influenced by what I intend to do with them (as nutfancy uses, POU's, philosophy of use).

My first ever ar was built by my leo buddy and the intent was merely to have a AR I can call home defense. The whole thing was triggered when our family business was broken into 3 years ago and being I stay late the business (10pm or later) I wanted something to defend with. Not necessary for the business, but in general ( I know what you're thinking, why not pistols, well I have addressed those already).

So I gave my buddy a budget cap of $2,000 for the build that includes optics, the rifle and 5 pmags. Well, let just say he built me a high quality, highly aesthetic ar using CMT lower, bcm bcg and barrel, seekins, mcsr, kns and all that jazz. I have since invested another 200 to make it a complete cmt upper lower.

That build pretty much started the snowball effect. Having now built 3 now, with several more on the list, all of it are function based and less on aesthetics. For example, keymod rail looks exciting, however beautiful it might be, it just needs to have rails for attachment.

Hopefully I'll own as much as uwone there :).

UWone77
18 August 2014, 10:00
Hopefully I'll own as much as uwone there :).

Trust me, you don't want this many. If I did it all over again, I would have saved my money or sold things as the industry progressed.

Ride4frnt
18 August 2014, 12:29
Trust me, you don't want this many. If I did it all over again, I would have saved my money or sold things as the industry progressed.

The only problem I can see with owning that many is that rifle safes are expensive.

rob_s
18 August 2014, 12:35

I'm no where near that volume, but you're very right. I have two surefiree that were $500+ when new and now I can't give them away. You have to stay on the bleeding edge of you're going to rotate out gear. Otherwise you're on the bleeding wallet program.

UWone77
19 August 2014, 11:02
I'm no where near that volume, but you're very right. I have two surefiree that were $500+ when new and now I can't give them away. You have to stay on the bleeding edge of you're going to rotate out gear. Otherwise you're on the bleeding wallet program.

Pretty much spot on here.

There are a ton of items and accessories I should have unloaded, but if you have so much stuff you tend to forget what you have. Now that I think about it I did giveaway some of those same $500 Surefire lights that you can't unload now. Just goes to show you things like lights have come a long way in the last 5 years. Another example is rail systems. Back then a Daniel Defense Lite or M4 Rail was the shit, but now who is going to pay $300+ for one?

I should keep inventory on an Excel sheet, but as often as guns are torn down and rebuilt, I'd spend all my time updating the sheet. Ideally, for me the setups I would keep:

2 Colt 6720's (2 is 1, 1 is none)
1 MK18 type SBR setup
1 DMR/Recce type setup.

Uffdaphil
19 August 2014, 11:51
Struth. I had every gun and part logged in a notebook for the longest time. But with the panic passed, prices down and innovative components sprouting all over, the menagerie started interbreeding and I lost track of what went where. Great fun to find forgotten components, esp. a couple of stripped lowers.

Still, some "Dated" guns never lose their appeal and are keepers.
LMT 16" w/DD Lite rail
Colt Socom II (bought for investment-hah) keeps me from regretting selling the plain 6920s.

rob_s
19 August 2014, 12:00
1 MK18 type SBR setup
1 DMR/Recce type setup.

Pretty good list. Mine would probably be...

6720 x 2
Colt Competition

rob_s
19 August 2014, 12:02
[QUOTE=Uffdaphil;58285
Still, some "Dated" guns never lose their appeal and are keepers.
[/QUOTE]

I agree, and would hesitate to call them "dated" just because they aren't "new hotness". My favorite rifle is still one of the one of the 6520s I started with, and it still wears the DD 10.0 M4 rail (the original DD rail design), and I'd prefer if it still had the Vltor stock and Tango Down pistol grip on it. Love the Trijicon TA33 it still wears too.

browcs
19 August 2014, 20:21
I agree, and would hesitate to call them "dated" just because they aren't "new hotness". My favorite rifle is still one of the one of the 6520s I started with, and it still wears the DD 10.0 M4 rail (the original DD rail design), and I'd prefer if it still had the Vltor stock and Tango Down pistol grip on it. Love the Trijicon TA33 it still wears too.

Yup. One of my favorite rails still happens to be the Vltor CASV which will see a new home on my Colt 6720. I still run two DD Omegas. Frankly, I don't see the need to get rid of those rails for others.

Hazzmatt
26 August 2014, 13:58
My first build was pretty simple I bought a Colt, clamped a flashlight on the barrel, ground off the finger buster on the stock grip and put a sling on it. That was about twenty years ago and they didn't have as many neat toys back then. My recent build was done strictly for work and I wanted it to be as simple, practical and as ambidextrous as possible. I have an ASA 10.5 (suppressor on the way) with a KAC rail/handguard, Magpul AFG, MBUS2 sights, Bad lever, STR stock, ASP plate, an EOTech 512 w/GG&G covers, Condor single/double point sling, ambi selector and mag release and Raptor charging handle. I know, I know, I'm a Magpul whore. I also have a Surefire 6P with a LED conversion and a duel switch w/pressure pad mounted with the absolutely excellent Gear Sector mount and a Gear Sector forward sling ring thing. I am very happy with it. It is fairly simple and very practical. I do a lot of bilateral work and it's set up for that. The gun itself is very accurate and very reliable and in this configuration handles great.

rob_s
27 August 2014, 05:04
I went back to my original 6520-flattop-conversion last night at a match. I've been shooting irons-only for the past year on a BCM Dissipator.

It was bad. Re-learning the TA33, didn't do any sort of check of the gun before the match, had no lube and a blue Sprinco spring (which doesn't like my usual Wolf ammo). Bad.

I probably could have gotten by with all of the other issues if I just had the factory spec spring in it. I was reminded of this thread, and why I've been leaning towards replacing the "builds" with factory guns (even if boutique like Noveske or KAC), and the consequences of fiddle-fart. It also struck me as funny that I went from running a gun with irons, fixed stock, and plastic handguard to one with adjustable stock, optic, and free-float and did WORSE with the fancy-pants "build" than I did with the basic "push in two pins" solution.

Nuclear_Arms
27 August 2014, 21:47
As far as my shooting goes, I think a lot of it has to do with the available environment mixed with competing interests. I grew up playing video games, and they had a lot of influence on my early decisions. My very first rifle was a Springfield M1A-loaded stainless. I quickly started turning that gun into my vision of a BAMF semi-auto sniper rifle. I put it in a JAE stock, played with various scope mounts, optics, and internal parts. Ultimately, I ended up with a great looking rifle that I just didn't shoot very much due to the inherent quirks of the M1A platform.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-pJtI9OxtFPA/T4n6282W-2I/AAAAAAAABXc/9r2xQfIo6Io/w993-h582-no/DSC_0036.JPG

I was living in Montana at this point, around 2008, and decided it was time to finally get into the AR game. I still had never gotten seriously into shooting, because i was more interested in "show" than actually having the skills. I set out combing the forums and began sketching out my "TEOTWAWKI" build. I was originally looking at all the low end parts that were raved about on ARF. But, I eventually found the more technically (and tactically) oriented sights and revised my parts list. Since I didn't really shoot that much, I didn't really know what I wanted. So I set out to do a general purpose recce-type built around a Centurion 16" LW CHF barrel. I slapped on some cool colored Magpul hardware and a fancy ribbed Spikes/Seekins BAR rail, and ended up with exactly what I had envisioned. I finished this one in 2010, after nearly a year of agonizing over part selection and then assembling it piece by piece.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WdRTYkpvM-s/TVQcup5GVlI/AAAAAAAAAvE/y9EsU72fQPw/w989-h662-no/DSC_0855.JPG

It wasn't long after I completed this project that I began participating in local two-gun and three-gun matches. The more I shot, the more I realized the shortcomings of what I had built. I didn't care fore the very wide handguard, and had problems with some of the internal parts I had used (Spikes ST-T2 buffer. It had issues with weak ammo in cold weather). At the same time, my wife (then girlfriend) shot my AR, and immediately declared that she wanted one of her own. While building a KISS type lightweight based around a BCM 16" pencil barrel for her, ammo prices began to climb.

My range in Montana had a 1000 yard steel plate set up. I found myself spending more and more time on it with my AR. But I began running into the limitations of the TR-24G's reticle. I decided to go ahead and commit to the recce concept and turn that AR into a fun target shooter, and keep the KISS build for serious use.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-obBGPei9Ivg/UrvcxpB3Y3I/AAAAAAAAA7U/6riyF_OZ7_E/w993-h597-no/IMG_0026.JPG

Once the Air Force moved me to California, I was presented with a new set of problems. I no longer had access to my nice long range, and had to deal magazine size restrictions (AND the stupid bullet button). This pretty much ruled out any type of action shooting OR long range shooting. I found myself becoming more focused on the fundamentals of marksmanship, especially from various positions other than prone or sitting at a bench. I began signing up for small local marksmanship matches that take place between 25 and 100 yards.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-1dLmzn0JsBM/U7nJFHyAahI/AAAAAAAABgE/2spWaHzsI3A/w989-h662-no/DSC_0241.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TnspgNNlo_4/U7nI92KGkvI/AAAAAAAABfs/vg91i03-PEc/w989-h662-no/DSC_0226.JPG

I realized that all that time spent behind a bipod, and all the other time spent running around VTAC targets and shooting ad IPDA targets, didn't really help my fundamentals. I could keep it in an A-Zone at relatively close distances, and do it quickly, but I was not very good at putting shots into small circles from positions under time pressure. I also found that my skill with iron sights was woefully inadequate. So I set out to build what I thought was an ideal marksmanship training rifle to let me practice those fundamentals and iron sights. So I grabbed a BCM 20" government upper, and now swap it back and forth with my recce's lower.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ilIKgim4iNI/U27G1rcTHeI/AAAAAAAABUw/EQjRLBXne88/w994-h559-no/IMG_0102.JPG

In all, I have found that I spend less time looking for the latest gizmos and more time thinking how I can further improve my current rifles to suit my needs. Don't get me wrong, I still think about possible build projects (I have had a 308 project slowly moving along for well over a year), but such projects are MUCH more grounded in how I will actually use them versus imaginary situations. I am active duty military, so I figure that if I get sent overseas they will issue me the appropriate rifle. But they can't issue me the requisite fundamentals and skills that are needed for excellent shooting. I spend most of my range time now either working on marksmanship fundamentals, or pistol drills- and I think my shooting projects reflect those changes.

If i was to do it all over again, I would have taken the advice that Rob once gave on another site. Buy a high quality basic carbine, and shoot the piss out of it until you really figure out what you are going to want to do with it. That, to me, is a much better route than building what you THINK you want, then shoehorning yourself into one type of style only to later find that you would rather do something else.

Computalotapus
28 August 2014, 05:17
In all, I have found that I spend less time looking for the latest gizmos and more time thinking how I can further improve my current rifles to suit my needs. Don't get me wrong, I still think about possible build projects (I have had a 308 project slowly moving along for well over a year), but such projects are MUCH more grounded in how I will actually use them versus imaginary situations. I am active duty military, so I figure that if I get sent overseas they will issue me the appropriate rifle. But they can't issue me the requisite fundamentals and skills that are needed for excellent shooting. I spend most of my range time now either working on marksmanship fundamentals, or pistol drills- and I think my shooting projects reflect those changes.

If i was to do it all over again, I would have taken the advice that Rob once gave on another site. Buy a high quality basic carbine, and shoot the piss out of it until you really figure out what you are going to want to do with it. That, to me, is a much better route than building what you THINK you want, then shoehorning yourself into one type of style only to later find that you would rather do something else.

That was a pretty cool read. You should post more haha

FortTom
28 August 2014, 07:16
The more I shot, the more I realized the shortcomings of what I had built. I didn't care fore the very wide handguard, and had problems wiith weak ammo in cold weather).

....... I found myself becoming more focused on the fundamentals of marksmanship, especially from various positions other than prone or sitting at a bench. I began signing up for small local marksmanship matches that take place between 25 and 100 yards.

I realized that all that time spent behind a bipod, and all the other time spent running around VTAC targets and shooting ad IPDA targets, didn't really help my fundamentals. I could keep it in an A-Zone at relatively close distances, and do it quickly, but I was not very good at putting shots into small circles from positions under time pressure. I also found that my skill with iron sights was woefully inadequate. So I set out to build what I thought was an ideal marksmanship training rifle to let me practice those fundamentals and iron sights. So I grabbed a BCM 20" government upper, and now swap it back and forth with my recce's lower.

In all, I have found that I spend less time looking for the latest gizmos and more time thinking how I can further improve my current rifles to suit my needs. Don't get me wrong, I still think about possible build projects (I have had a 308 project slowly moving along for well over a year), but such projects are MUCH more grounded in how I will actually use them versus imaginary situations.

It is absolutely logical, that you've dedicated more of your time to shooting fundamentals, over "latest gizmo's". But "a much better route than building what you THINK you want..." What we "THINK" we want?....

I get the feeling that you're assuming that folks don't know what they want or need, or everyone that builds a rifle with "gizmo's" (not sure what your definition of gizmo is) don't need them in the first place. If not, don't be offended, there is plenty of that to go around, and, I was leery that was the was what this thread would devolve into. I'm fairly certain it was carefully guided to that from the onset.

If you are referring to folks who have very little experience with the AR, or building a rifle to drag out of the safe to impress folks, then carefully dusted and inspected for lint, then you are correct. 100% correct.

I currently have 5 AR's that I've put together, and have owned many more. Most ( more lately, anyway) were built with an idea in mind, and were planned piece by piece from start to finished. A couple started with a stripped lower, but finished with "store bought" complete uppers.

Most AR's are fundamentally the same, but can differ greatly upon intended use. The 5 that I have settled on keeping, at least for now, either have major, or subtle differences based on preference. I have tried "gizmo's" that didn't work out so well. So what? That's part of the fun of experimenting. How do you know you don't need something, that it was useless, or conversely find it's the greatest thing for ones particular intended use since smokeless powder? Hopefully, not over the internet through the eyes of one or two folks, or a couple of youtube video's and blogs? [:)] However, it definitely doesn't hurt to read other posts and watch video's, especially when a fairy large number of folks warn that said "gizmo" is a piece of crap, could ruin your weapon, or worse, get you killed in a self defense situation.

You have to weed out the luddites, and wannabe's, sure, but as you stated, and as should be, "I spend most of my range time now either working on marksmanship fundamentals, or pistol drills - and I think my shooting projects reflect those changes". Well done, many, many folks I know throw a couple of targets up on the range, shoot about 40 rounds from a bench, and call it a day. But limiting yourself forever to a basic carbine, for fear of building something that won't fit your needs, well you might very well be limiting the payoff of all of those long and hard hours you put in honing your shooting skills.

Some folks can make one basic rifle perform all of the usage it'll ever see with absolutely no problems. But modern times, and components allow us to fine tune rifles into exactly what we want them for, rather than a "one size fits all". And an underlying theme that one will see in these type threads is that most people aren't smart enough to know the difference. The bottom line is that even if the gun you pull out of the safe on a given day, for a trip to the range, isn't the one you'd use for a particular situation, it's still fun to lighten up a bit, grab a butt load of ammo, and go shoot the crap out of it. You can spend your serious training time, with the "correct" rifle for your intended use.[:D]

Have fun...

FT

Nuclear_Arms
28 August 2014, 17:49
I get the feeling that you're assuming that folks don't know what they want or need, or everyone that builds a rifle with "gizmo's" (not sure what your definition of gizmo is) don't need them in the first place. If not, don't be offended, there is plenty of that to go around, and, I was leery that was the was what this thread would devolve into. I'm fairly certain it was carefully guided to that from the onset.

If you are referring to folks who have very little experience with the AR, or building a rifle to drag out of the safe to impress folks, then carefully dusted and inspected for lint, then you are correct. 100% correct.

I was definitely saying the latter. If you've already been shooting for a while, and understand your needs/wants and how to best build to suit them, then build away. I was speaking more towards those who are just starting out with the mentality that I had, building a purpose that exists in our imagination more than any real experiential use.

FortTom
29 August 2014, 10:00
I was definitely saying the latter. If you've already been shooting for a while, and understand your needs/wants and how to best build to suit them, then build away. I was speaking more towards those who are just starting out with the mentality that I had, building a purpose that exists in our imagination more than any real experiential use.

Then I'd have to agree with you 100%. My first few were store bought, new and used, and not really modified or accessorized much at all.

FT

rob_s
29 August 2014, 10:36

that's what I did too, built something I thought would be cool, or the internet thought would be cool, but that turned out to be unsat for the kind of shooting I was doing.

browcs
30 August 2014, 20:35
After finally getting my Colt 6720, I decided to keep this carbine rail-free and will pretty much keep it as it looks here in this craptastic photo:

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/browcs/Rifles%20-%20Carbines/Colt67201_zps50aeb430.jpg (http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/browcs/media/Rifles%20-%20Carbines/Colt67201_zps50aeb430.jpg.html)

I already added though a Raptor charging handle, BFG UWL, and BFG/Vickers sling. I will add a new grip since I hate the OEM grip. For now, I will not replace the stock. Purpose for this carbine: training.

rob_s
2 September 2014, 06:11
The lack of good sling-mounting options on the 6720 is something that still frustrates me. Even just a side-sling-swivel like the 6920s use to have would keep one from having to buy alternate attachment methods right out of the gate.

I recently bought an Aimpoint PRO and, despite the above sling-mounting difficulties, I suspect it will soon grow a 6720 beneath it if the prices stay in the $800 range.

I've always like the idea of having a very basic and easy to understand carbine in the safe for new shooters, or as a loaner, or as something to travel with.

FWIW, if you're not attaching the sling to it (I wouldn't) I'd pull off that sling swivel at the toe of the stock. That thing winds up jabbing me something fierce every time I try to use an M4 stock.

browcs
2 September 2014, 20:16
FWIW, if you're not attaching the sling to it (I wouldn't) I'd pull off that sling swivel at the toe of the stock. That thing winds up jabbing me something fierce every time I try to use an M4 stock.

I'm debating swapping the stock to perhaps one of the new Magpul SL stocks; but right now, it's not a priority. The sling swivel hasn't bothered me on my work Colt which still has it's OEM stock.

I really appreciate the simpleness of the set-up. Frankly, I don't miss having a rail since I don't plan on attaching any other things beyond the RDS and light.

rob_s
3 September 2014, 07:35
I'm debating swapping the stock to perhaps one of the new Magpul SL stocks; but right now, it's not a priority. The sling swivel hasn't bothered me on my work Colt which still has it's OEM stock.

I really appreciate the simpleness of the set-up. Frankly, I don't miss having a rail since I don't plan on attaching any other things beyond the RDS and light.

I noticed it when I (A) stopped wearing a chest rig and (B) started trapping the stock between my elbow and ribs on reloads. May also be a function of how skinny I am... was.

Steeles
3 September 2014, 20:45
^ha, I was shooting with a buddy this past weekend he had an M4 stock with that sling attachment on it he wasn't using (QD endplate). He went to practice transitions to support side and the sling mount caught on his sling. needless to say upon arrival at home he promptly took the mount off the stock!

DutyUse
18 September 2014, 16:30
Pretty much spot on here.

There are a ton of items and accessories I should have unloaded, but if you have so much stuff you tend to forget what you have. Now that I think about it I did giveaway some of those same $500 Surefire lights that you can't unload now. Just goes to show you things like lights have come a long way in the last 5 years. Another example is rail systems. Back then a Daniel Defense Lite or M4 Rail was the shit, but now who is going to pay $300+ for one?

I should keep inventory on an Excel sheet, but as often as guns are torn down and rebuilt, I'd spend all my time updating the sheet. Ideally, for me the setups I would keep:

1 MK18 type SBR setup
1 DMR/Recce type setup.

I agree 100% about keeping KISS duty rifles that will always stay classic and have much less things prone to failure. It's fun to build custom guns, but if crap really went down those rifles would be the last ones I would grab. No matter how much you try and make the newest whiz bang thing by the time you finish it's already outdated, it's the same thing as custom cars. I was just raised shooting out on the farm so my hobby has always been firearms. Plus it's always fun breaking out a custom rifle on someone who has never seen anything but rock rivers and walmart bushy's :D

DutyUse
18 September 2014, 16:33

First Buy:

First Build:

Second Build 1.0:

Second Build 2.0:

Second Build 3.0:
Two offshots:

First Built SBR

First bought SBR.

This is an amazing family of rifles! Great choices

ennbee15
4 October 2014, 14:34
Keep it simple is my build mantra. Don't use rails, I use the standard handguard or magpul handguard for better heat dissipation. An optic, rear buis, fsp , sling and a light. Boring, I know. But I'm old and I like what I like.

Nathan_Mack
4 October 2014, 22:33
My build concept has to fill a void in application or collection, but the two are never mixed when considering a build. If I did, it would muddle up the decision making process.

For an Application Build:

Must wholly fill a gap in a specific application without simple modification to a currently owned rifle that will also not alter the overall role of the currently owned rifle. This is even more strict if the "new" rifle is the same caliber as the current one. In other words, each rifle must have dedicated use value.

For Collection Build (or acquisition):

Simple. If I don't already have one and I want one I may buy or build it. Although this category never includes AR type rifles. They just aren't "collectable" to me.

Once I've decided to build, I price out the whole rifle as I imagine it down to the last pin and spring. Then I price out parts of a practical financial type. If the build can't get within about 80% of my expectations for the build with the money available I scrap the plan and save more and re-evaluate need/want down the road.

El Cid
4 October 2014, 22:48
My first build was because I wanted a rifle that could be a "do it all" rifle. I tried to use the SPR/Recce format with glass that covers contact to 600 yards. Because of my continued failure to win the lottery, I build my rifles over time. A barrel this month, a lower a couple months later, etc. Eventually when I have the parts I assemble it.

My second build was an SBR and I took a chance on Mega's monolithic upper (pre LMT lawsuit nonsense). I wanted it to be light enough to be handy, but not so light that it jumped around when shooting it.

I'm collecting parts now for a fun build. I call it my BIC (Because I Can) rifle. It has no declared purpose - other than upsetting liberal oxygen thieves by existing.

#1: Lilja 16" bbl, Noveske upper/lower, Multicam dipped.
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/MCSPRwGlass1.jpg

#2: Noveske 11.5" bbl, Mega monolithic upper, Vltor A5 kit.
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz209/El_CidAF_ResQ/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0180_1_zps586a4448.jpg