PDA

View Full Version : New guy dissy questions...

MCrab67
22 August 2014, 12:45
First let me say, thanks to all my brothers in arms. Been wanting to build a dissy for awhile now and was looking for some input. I have a Del Ton barrel set for rifle length gas. I believe the port is .098". I am gathering that this will need to be opened up for reliability. In my research .110" seems to be the recommended port size. What I'm wondering is about bolt carriers and buffers. I would like to run a fixed full length stock and maybe a supressor. Any ideas?

voodoo_man
22 August 2014, 13:27
are you going with a rifle length gas system or a mid/carbine?

MCrab67
22 August 2014, 21:44
The barrel is already ported for rifle length.

UWone77
22 August 2014, 22:59
Personally, I'd shoot it first before trying any tweaks to the system, especially permanent ones like opening up the gas port.

Just use an A2 Rifle Buffer and a F/A BCG and see how she runs.

camomike
23 August 2014, 07:40
Wait. Let me see if I understand this. You have a 20" barrel with a rifle length gas system. You want to cut the barrel length down to 16" to make a dissy clone. You are wondering if the remaining barrel length with give you enough return pressure to cycle the BCG or if you'll have to widen the gas port as well. Am I following correct?

RiverRat
23 August 2014, 11:15
I believe what he has is this (http://www.del-ton.com/Del_Ton_Barrels_p/bl1017.htm):

http://www.del-ton.com/v/vspfiles/photos/BL1017-2.jpg.

Already 16" with FSB on a rifle length shoulder, so there's no shortening involved.

A larger port has been cited from time to time as increasing reliability for the rifle-ported dissies, but I really think that's going to be completely dependent on setup (carrier weight, action spring strength and buffer) and the ammo used. You've defaulted into the 5 oz rifle buffer - which might very well require drilling. Like UW said, try it in your planned config and if you need to drill it out, do it in small steps instead of jumping right to 0.11.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider trying to tune one of these to run both with and without a can. The rifle-gassed dissy config seems finicky enough without adding more variables.

voodoo_man
23 August 2014, 13:14
I agree, do not try to tune one, it'll give you headaches.

camomike
23 August 2014, 14:32
Or, drill the FSB and tap it for a set screw. You can turn a fixed FB into an adjustable fairly easy.

camomike
23 August 2014, 14:35
That's the only way I can think to reliably adjust for both.

MCrab67
23 August 2014, 21:48
I was considering a threaded can and running it full time. I had thought of an adjustable gas block. No FSB no dissy. I like the idea of making one.

UWone77
24 August 2014, 18:24
I was considering a threaded can and running it full time. I had thought of an adjustable gas block. No FSB no dissy. I like the idea of making one.

Just run a BCM 12.5" Kino [:D]