PDA

View Full Version : Frog Lube - Epiphany or Brain Fade?

FortTom
25 August 2014, 18:41
I just finished my last rifle and decided to finally give Frog Lube a try. My first question is this. Frog Lube's website emphasizes that the lube is "in" your weapon, not on it. I bought the solvent, CLP and paste. I pre-cleaned everything with the solvent, then heated all parts and slathered the stuff on pretty liberally. After a few minutes I removed the excess with a micro fiber towel, then just re-applied a thin coat, for it's first break-in at the range tomorrow. All went well, but here's question 1. I can see how all of the aluminum and porous parts will hold the lubricant, but the BCU, NiB isn't going to be very porous or react much to 100 degree hair dryer. Anyone else have experience with Frog Lube and NiB? Does the NiB actually hold lube?

Question 2: Here's a weird thought I had while cleaning/lubing the new rifle. Frog Lube claims food grade bio friendly, plant based formula. You can eat it if you want. I did actually taste the paste, just for the heck of it.

I have a friend who is an automation engineer, who specializes in the food industry. They build and re-design automated production lines, etc. Another thing his company does is maintain motors for mixing and blending equipment. I visited his shop once, and he showed me these mixers, and how he was lubricating and re-sealing the bearings. These things run almost 24/7 at very high loads and RPMs and have to be service regularly. I remember him telling me the grease had to be food grade, as in edible, tasteless and odorless (you get the picture) in case small amounts leak out of the bearings. It would be bio-degradable. The "lube" also had to hold up to high internal temperatures.

I'm wondering if Frog Lube is a clone of this food grade lubricant, and if I could use it the same way as Frog Lube, but buy a quart for a few bucks, vs. a bunch of money for a bottle of solvent, an 8oz. bottle of CLP and an 8oz. Tub of Frog Lube paste.

Does anyone here work in the food service industry (industrial) and have experience in that area? I'd be curious to know if I can take food grade bio-degradable tasteless and odorless stuff in a test gun (maybe) a Glock or M&P, then possibly an AR.

Any ideas, coments?

Thanks

FT

mustangfreek
26 August 2014, 00:29
Are you okay..?...lol...[crazy]...[:D]

True story:.....I ate some frog lube once in front of my kids...it freaked them out..then i told them..haha..i did have a minty taste in my mouth for a while...[BD]

GOST
26 August 2014, 01:51
FT you may be on to something. I've been running Slip 2000 for awhile and have had pretty good luck. Lubricants seem to become out dated faster than smart phones, as of now Fireclean is the new in lube. FP10 is still probably my favorite lubricant I've used to date, I run it on my handguns. I bet your right, Froglube probably is pretty close to being the same lube that you described. It's not uncommon for a good product to have various uses.

FortTom
26 August 2014, 07:37
Are you okay..?...lol...[crazy]...[:D]
True story:.....I ate some frog lube once in front of my kids...it freaked them out..then i told them..haha..i did have a minty taste in my mouth for a while...[BD]
mmmmm, minty. Would have been better with chocolate chips....

GOST: Both products have extremely similar properties. Another friend of mine has an account at an industrial supply store. Just makes me wonder if the folks at Frog Lube started with something similar? Anyway, if I was sure of it, my buddy let's me order stuff on his account, and I just pay him within 30 days, before his bill comes. I'm a little shy about shoving that stuff down my barrel though, and finding out it doesn't play well with extremely hot gasses, copper and carbon fouling..[:D]

Sure would be a lot cheaper. I also re-read my post, and forgot to mention, when I asked him, how can petro be made safe for food. He told me it was vegtable or plant (a little vague on memory here) based. So is Frog Lube.

Real bottom line here, I want to run Frog Lube in this one gun, since it's brand new, for a while, and my usual assortment and routine in everything else, and see if the stuff is really as great as folks say it is, or just.... eh... not really sure about a base line to measure them against besides each other.

FT

ggammell
4 September 2014, 07:10
Don't "relube" after you wipe off the excess. It's done. Leave it alone. It'll have a little waxy feel. Then when the metal heats up it'll melt down to liquid then cool back to a solid that up you wipe off again.