PDA

View Full Version : Owner of HKparts.net Indicted

UWone77
28 August 2014, 13:46
From the Department of Justice Press Release here: http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2014/August/14-tax-892.html

Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, August 25, 2014

Utah Businessman Indicted for Unlicensed Dealing in Firearms, Smuggling U.S. Goods and Filing False Tax Returns

Adam Michael Webber, of Salt Lake County, Utah, was indicted on Friday by a federal grand jury in the District of Utah, the Justice Department announced. The indictment, which was made public today, charges Webber with one count of dealing in firearms without a license, one count of smuggling goods from the United States and six counts of filing false tax returns.

According to the indictment, no later than 2007, Webber established a business that sold firearms and firearms’ parts and accessories, largely through the Internet. The business operated under the name HK Parts, using the website www.hkparts.net , and was solely owned and operated by Webber. In 2009, Webber incorporated the business as HK Parts Inc., which used the same website. Webber was the sole shareholder of HK Parts Inc.

According to the indictment, on or about June 20, 2007, Webber signed a stipulated settlement agreement with the United States in which he agreed never to apply for a federal firearms license or be a responsible person for any federal firearms licensee or business, and that he would not engage in the business of manufacturing, importing or dealing in firearms. However, during the years 2007 through 2012, Webber individually and through HK Parts and HK Parts Inc., sold firearms and firearms parts and accessories.

Webber is charged with filing false individual income tax returns for 2007 through 2010, which underreported the gross receipts of the business, and with filing false income tax returns for an S Corporation for 2009 and 2010, which also underreported the gross receipts of the business.

A trial date has not been scheduled. If convicted, Webber faces a statutory maximum sentence of 33 years in prison and may be subject to fines.

This case was investigated by IRS-Criminal Investigation and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The case is being jointly prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Utah and the Justice Department’s Tax Division.

An indictment merely alleges that a crime has been committed and a defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Liberal_Strong
30 August 2014, 01:25
oh wow, what does this mean for the site, will it be shut down? more importantly, what does this mean for the customers who bought from hkparts?

FortTom
30 August 2014, 17:30
oh wow, what does this mean for the site, will it be shut down? more importantly, what does this mean for the customers who bought from hkparts?
If he's guilty, it probably means he deserves and will get some serious time in prison. Will his site be shut down? Are you serious? Dealing without a license, smuggling, and a major league tax cheat? And you're worried about a website? Sorry, no disrespect meant, but I think we live in different worlds. If his customers get screwed, do you really think he cares? I know he's presumed innocent, as should be, but if he's guilty, he's a slime ball, a con man, and I doubt that his customers are anywhere on his top 100 things to do or care about.

I hope that he made good on any pending orders, but I doubt it makes any difference to him. Anti-gun media people love it when they find something bad in the community (gun).
I'm sure, at least regionally, the fact that he sold guns will get equal time with his alleged crimes. The straw man argument works here.

Now William Hayden from Red Jacket has been arrested twice in a week for allegedly molesting his 11 year old girl, who is now 12. The media will somehow find a way to intermix firearms and rape of a minor, as if the two were inherently mutual.

Getting bad guys out of the business is a good thing. Website or not.

FT[:D]