PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 590

Thompson
3 September 2014, 11:52
So, a friend of mine is interested in purchasing a Mossberg 590 here in good ol PA. Unfortunately though he lives in Maryland.

We've both been digging around for information (and also, shout out to Ride4frnt for the help as well) regarding crossing state lines, and MD gun laws. I've also called a couple local shops to verify.

... but I just wanted to cover all my bases, just to be sure (never hurts to be 1000% correct, right?).

So if I'm understanding this correctly, he would be able to purchase a shotgun up in PA, and bring it down to MD?

UWone77
3 September 2014, 12:01
Is this from a FFL or a private purchase?

Thompson
3 September 2014, 12:08
Sorry - forgot that. FFL (we'd like to do it that way; but if we have to resort to private, we'll consider that route if and when that happens)

UWone77
3 September 2014, 12:10
If you buy from an FFL, looks like you're good to go, unless a state law prevents it.

You may sell a firearm to a person who does not reside in your State by shipping the firearm to a licensed dealer in the buyer’s State of residence and having the buyer take possession of the firearm from that licensee. The licensed dealer in the buyer’s State of residence is responsible for the Form 4473 and NICS background check. Your A&D records should reflect the transfer to the out-of-State FFL and not to the end purchaser.

You may make an over-the-counter sale of a rifle or shotgun to a non-resident if the transaction complies with all the laws of your State and the laws of the buyer’s State.

Thompson
3 September 2014, 12:16
I'm confused - is the quote you posted, regarding shipping from a PA FFL to a MD FFL?

I was talking about my friend purchasing the Mossberg shotgun online, from them - and having it shipped to my PA FFL, for him to pick up.

UWone77
3 September 2014, 12:21
I'm confused - is the quote you posted, regarding shipping from a PA FFL to a MD FFL?

I was talking about my friend purchasing the Mossberg shotgun online, from them - and having it shipped to my PA FFL, for him to pick up.

Your buddy lives in MD. He's coming to PA to pick it up. That is allowed. Read the last line, he is making an over the counter transaction as a non-resident.

Thompson
3 September 2014, 12:37
Oh my apologies - I interpreted that as a private sale.

Calengor
3 September 2014, 12:40
As a MDer, what you're describing, him going from MD to PA to an FFL to purchase a Mossberg 590, is completely legal.

Thompson
3 September 2014, 12:52
Whoo! Glad I'm understanding the laws right

jennecarter
12 September 2014, 03:23
I love my 590 :p