PDA

View Full Version : New Guy With 308 build

Dstrbdmedic167
4 September 2014, 15:13
I came this way since someone on another forum I frequent mentioned it. I've been a member here for a few but never posted much so i figured this was a good way to start.

I recently was lucky enough to WIN a custom 308 receiver set, rail and stock from Revolvr App and Rainier Arms. This was the set that some may have seen on Revolvr that they raffled off. I received the set yesterday and its as sexy as I imagined.
The set is a Rainier Arms billet 308 upper and lower, 14' Rainier Arms Switch rail and MFT Utility Stock

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/03/4fd888693b75b357ff14821878ad952d.jpg

I already have everything else needed to finish the build on the way from Rainier. List below
-20" Rainier Arms Ultramatch barrel
-Rainier Arms 308 LPK
- AAC Comp 2.0 Muzzle Device
-Seekins Low Pro ADJ Gas Block
- Raptor 7.62 Charge handle
-Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA Scope
-Vortex 1 piece mount
-Red Barn Armory BCG

I'll post more pics as things start to arrive and when i finish the build. Im going to cerekote the barrel and other parts to match the custom cerekoting. Thanks again to Rainer and Revolvr. Hope you guys enjoy.

Gaspipeshooter
4 September 2014, 17:42
Can't wait to see it together!!!

Dstrbdmedic167
4 September 2014, 17:55
Can't wait to see it together!!!

You and me both! I wasn't exactly planning a 308 build right now buttttt when you get most major parts for nothing it kind of changes things!

Computalotapus
4 September 2014, 18:04
Oooh I am so jealous. Looking forward to seeing this as well.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

Gaspipeshooter
4 September 2014, 18:07
You and me both! I wasn't exactly planning a 308 build right now buttttt when you get most major parts for nothing it kind of changes things!

You sir, are the master of understatement...lol

Dstrbdmedic167
4 September 2014, 18:09
What can I say... Lol I didn't even own a 308 so I also had to get my hands on some ammo. I ordered about 300 rds of various types, weight etc etc. I'll start reloading it before too long. Starting to get to many mouths to feed at home. 22lr, 556, 6.8, 277 WLV, 9mm, 380 and now 308.. Sheesh lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dstrbdmedic167
4 September 2014, 18:12
I'm really trying to make rainier proud on this one. This build deserves some of the best products the industry offers. Their products are second to none and will definitely be using their parts more in the future. Can't thank them enough

FortTom
4 September 2014, 18:41
I'm looking to build a 7.62 also. I'm getting kind restless to do something besides another 5.56 in any configuration. Congrats for winning the receiver set and goodies, and good luck on your build. Keep us posted with pics.

FT

Dstrbdmedic167
4 September 2014, 18:44
I'm looking to build a 7.62 also. I'm getting kind restless to do something besides another 5.56 in any configuration. Congrats for winning the receiver set and goodies, and good luck on your build. Keep us posted with pics.

FT

Thanks i was at the same point you are now. I will add pics as things start to come in, a mock up before cerekote and then the complete build

Computalotapus
4 September 2014, 18:55
Thanks i was at the same point you are now. I will add pics as things start to come in, a mock up before cerekote and then the complete build

Wait....did you say you are getting it cerakoted? /cry

Dstrbdmedic167
4 September 2014, 18:57
Wait....did you say you are getting it cerakoted? /cry

just the parts that are not in the pic. The parts you see are custom cerekoted already and i plan to match the other parts to these. so the barrel, buffer tube, BCG, MD will all be cerekoted in kryptek to match the upper, lower, rail and stock

mustangfreek
5 September 2014, 03:54
Sweet build here, i remember that raffle not too long ago.....Ill be watching this thread..

You'll have to let us know how that barrel shoots for you.

Dstrbdmedic167
5 September 2014, 07:10
Sweet build here, i remember that raffle not too long ago.....Ill be watching this thread..

You'll have to let us know how that barrel shoots for you.

Yes I just got the parts Wednesday! I'll be sure to post some pics once I get it dialed in and find the ammo it likes.

UWone77
5 September 2014, 09:01
You're the one that won that eh? Hopefully I didn't leave too many dirty paw prints on that before it was shipped. [:D] I remember thinking they did a pretty good job with the pattern.

I think that was one of the first 308 receivers they put out. Nice prize for sure. Best way to get into .308 is to have the receivers given to you. That takes the cost out of the equation. Looks like you're putting some quality parts into it.

Dstrbdmedic167
5 September 2014, 09:20
You're the one that won that eh? Hopefully I didn't leave too many dirty paw prints on that before it was shipped. [:D] I remember thinking they did a pretty good job with the pattern.

I think that was one of the first 308 receivers they put out. Nice prize for sure. Best way to get into .308 is to have the receivers given to you. That takes the cost out of the equation. Looks like you're putting some quality parts into it.

Everything with this package is awesome! From the receivers to the rail to the pattern. You might have left a few but I already cleaned then up with Froglube 😉. The number on this set is 61 so it's a very low numbered lower. Terry has been very helpful getting everything I needed and answering any questions I had. Thanks again!

FortTom
5 September 2014, 18:54
OH CRAP! Now I've done it. Had a .308 buzzing in my head while building last two rifles. Bought receiver set today! I just screwed up royally. Might as well just keep the check book well stocked with checks. Maybe instead of going crazy and trying to do it all in 3 or 4 weeks, I'll just stretch it out over 5 or 6 months, maybe more if I get a camo job while I'm at it. Nothing fancy like Dstrbdmedic got, DPMS AR-10 stuff. Will be losing sleep, going over and over every detail of what I want, then lose more sleep making revisions.

Wish someone would kick me in the ass for even THINKING about doing this.[bash]

FT

UWone77
5 September 2014, 19:03
FT,

If it makes you feel any better .308 parts have come down in price since the days of when I first looked at building an AR10 patterned rifle. Although, it's still not cheap if you want quality components. I suppose it's all relative.

The OP got a great head start on start up costs as he won the receivers and some other parts. I think for me, a quality .308 starts with the barrel, and it's best to spend your money on a good top shelf barrel.

Dstrbdmedic167
5 September 2014, 19:17
OH CRAP! Now I've done it. Had a .308 buzzing in my head while building last two rifles. Bought receiver set today! I just screwed up royally. Might as well just keep the check book well stocked with checks. Maybe instead of going crazy and trying to do it all in 3 or 4 weeks, I'll just stretch it out over 5 or 6 months, maybe more if I get a camo job while I'm at it. Nothing fancy like Dstrbdmedic got, DPMS AR-10 stuff. Will be losing sleep, going over and over every detail of what I want, then lose more sleep making revisions.

FT

I was planning to start an AR10 build at some point just not right now... as UW said I was lucky enough to get a great head start so i could afford to buy one of the best barrels money could buy. otherwise i would have had to spread it out over time. I always seem to have a big problem with not waiting, but i think that goes for everyone.

What set did you go with? Also parts are coming down daily and availability is better than its ever been.

FortTom
5 September 2014, 19:21
FT,

If it makes you feel any better .308 parts have come down in price since the days of when I first looked at building an AR10 patterned rifle. Although, it's still not cheap if you want quality components. I suppose it's all relative.

The OP got a great head start on start up costs as he won the receivers and some other parts. I think for me, a quality .308 starts with the barrel, and it's best to spend your money on a good top shelf barrel.

I agree. I will buy a good barrel, very possibly a fluted 20 in. threaded for brake. I just have to put the receivers aside for a few days or maybe a week or more and think my decisions through, revise, develop a plan and stick to it. Thinking through the barrel, hand guard and gas block is the hard part, as far as choices go, the rest is a piece of cake. Just not sure I have the stamina, after 2, almost back-to-back AR's.[:D]

FT

UWone77
5 September 2014, 19:27
I agree. I will buy a good barrel, very possibly a fluted 20 in. threaded for brake. I just have to put the receivers aside for a few days or maybe a week or more and think my decisions through, revise, develop a plan and stick to it. Thinking through the barrel, hand guard and gas block is the hard part, as far as choices go, the rest is a piece of cake. Just not sure I have the stamina, after 2, almost back-to-back AR's.[:D]

FT

FT's famous last words... this is the last build.

Right.

Carry on.

mustangfreek
6 September 2014, 03:14

FT

HAHAHAHA....nice going FT...What set?....ahhh....Start a build thread... :)

Dstrbdmedic167..... do you reload?

Gaspipeshooter
6 September 2014, 05:23
Just not sure I have the stamina[:D]

FT

FT, you should NEVER, EVER admit on the Internet that you might not have stamina...http://www.ohiowaterfowler.com/SMILEYS/TOOFUNNY.gif

Battle Cock
6 September 2014, 06:42
...ahhh....Start a build thread...
Seconded!

FortTom
6 September 2014, 15:12
HAHAHAHA....nice going FT...What set?....ahhh....Start a build thread... :)

Change of plans. Guy I bought receiver set from offered me a complete DPMS with about 20 rounds down range instead. I thought about it for a while then said why not.
I'll make some changes, for sure, but it's kind of nice to have something I can actually shoot in the meantime. Also, another guy makes his own muzzle brakes. A little on the long side, with 3 chambers at 90 and 270 and holes in the top to act as a comp. Got one on for free. Beautiful looks, I guess he EDM's them out, too smooth for machining. Am curious to see how well it works. Current plan is to buy NiB BCG, CTR stock, and railed hand guard.

FT

FortTom
6 September 2014, 15:15
FT, you should NEVER, EVER admit on the Internet that you might not have stamina...http://www.ohiowaterfowler.com/SMILEYS/TOOFUNNY.gif
keep yuckiing it up buddy, I go harder than most guys half my age...[:D]

Gaspipeshooter
6 September 2014, 15:26
keep yuckiing it up buddy, I go harder than most guys half my age...[:D]

Touche`!

Dstrbdmedic167
6 September 2014, 21:04

I do but I don't have anything for the 308 yet. But I will at some point....

Dstrbdmedic167
10 September 2014, 04:39
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/10/d5eda9a2644ced414e8303118143cb2f.jpg

A little update. Things are coming along nicely and the rest of the parts will be here soon. I'll update with a full parts list once everything is complete.

UWone77
10 September 2014, 21:48
Well that certainly came together quickly. What parts are you still waiting for?

Dstrbdmedic167
11 September 2014, 04:54
Well that certainly came together quickly. What parts are you still waiting for?

Barrel, CH, and MD came in yesterday. The BCG was not staked so I had to get it replaced. So a couple of says and I should be function testing. Of course then it's coming apart and getting the remainder of parts cerekoted.

Dstrbdmedic167
16 September 2014, 14:51
A little video for your entertainment... Ohh and she weighs in at 9.4lbs and shoots like a dream.

https://vimeo.com/106330581

Ladykiller00
16 September 2014, 16:28
Damn I wal entered to win that as well. I would love it if you wrote in on how the rainier equipment works. Am saving to make said purchases and am very interested in that particular upper/lower set.

Dstrbdmedic167
16 September 2014, 16:33
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/16/76a60b29b2522695b1b6279450d3067f.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/16/fde7ffb3f69f1e6e2b2184f6bc2cf25c.jpg

So I guess I'll add a complete build list now...
-Rainier Arms Billet 308 Upper and Lower
-Rainier Arms Switch Rail w/ anti rotation battle nut
- Rainier Arms Ultramatch 20" 308 Barrel
- Mission First Tactical Utility Stock
- AAC 2.0 Compensator
- 7.62 Raptor Charge Handle
- Red Barn Armory BCG
- CMC 3.5lb Flat Trigger
- Battle Arms BAD-CASS Standard/Short
- Seekins Billet Mag Release
- Vortex Viper PA 6.5-20x50 Dead Hold BDC
- Vortex 2" Offset One Piece Mount
- Main Components Custom Cerekoted Their Version of "kryptek" by Mad Custom Coatings
- Parts kit and buffer kit from Rainer Arms

I had a lot of fun on this build and learned a lot along the way. The 308 is definitely a different animal than a standard '15. I've built several '15's but this was my first 308. Special thanks again to revolvr and Rainer for the chance to win some awesome products.
Also a special thanks to Terry @ Rainier Arms for all his help along the way. I may have not taken very long to build it but it will be around and enjoyed for a very long time.

UWone77
16 September 2014, 17:42
Are you going to suppress that?

Dstrbdmedic167
16 September 2014, 17:43
I am indeed... As soon as my 762-SD finishes serving it's time in jail...

UWone77
16 September 2014, 18:03
I am indeed... As soon as my 762-SD finishes serving it's time in jail...

I got sucked in on a 762-SD as well. I already shoot the hell out of my 762SDN6. I guess I couldn't pass up the PRO Deal from AAC.

Dstrbdmedic167
16 September 2014, 18:05
I got sucked in on a 762-SD as well. I already shoot the hell out of my 762SDN6. I guess I couldn't pass up the PRO Deal from AAC.

Yep this will be my first one and I'm super excited! I also got a warlock 2 as a bundle. Looking forward to some quiet shooting! Also this gun is not very loud considering and shoots like a dream.

If you look closely in the video you can see the gases as I'm shooting. Thought it was pretty cool.

GaSwamper
16 September 2014, 22:31
Good job Medic, looks amazing. Looking forward to seeing the grouping sizes you can come up with.

Ladykiller00
17 September 2014, 08:52
Awesome build and photos. Congrats on the win.

Dstrbdmedic167
17 September 2014, 15:39
Ok so I didn't get any pics of the targets, but I had about an hour so I took her out back to see how she did on paper. Long story short all shots were on paper and I had her sitting 2" high of center after 3-three shot groups using 147gr white box surplus ammo. Every group had at least 2 I'm the same hole and the last group I shot which was shots 23-25 today were one tagged hole. Needless to say everything performed well and went beyond my expectations.

Gaspipeshooter
18 September 2014, 05:53
Ok so I didn't get any pics of the targets, but I had about an hour so I took her out back to see how she did on paper. Long story short all shots were on paper and I had her sitting 2" high of center after 3-three shot groups using 147gr white box surplus ammo. Every group had at least 2 I'm the same hole and the last group I shot which was shots 23-25 today were one tagged hole. Needless to say everything performed well and went beyond my expectations.

Impressive. This makes me want to ramp up the production of my .308 build!

DutyUse
18 September 2014, 07:21
Great looking build! I swear this forum and it's members are putting out some of the best builds in the industry. I've yet to see something I didn't fall in love with

Dstrbdmedic167
18 September 2014, 15:53
Great looking build! I swear this forum and it's members are putting out some of the best builds in the industry. I've yet to see something I didn't fall in love with

Thanks DutyUse... Yes there are a lot of great builds on this site no doubt

Rib-I
25 September 2014, 12:33
Very nice build indeed.

mustangfreek
6 January 2015, 03:22
Bump.....[:D]

I really like this build and have some ideas in my head..anyways curious about how much this weighs and i see its a 20" barrel..im thinking a 16" build and just trying to get a ballpark what these 308 builds are weighing in at.

Dstrbdmedic167
6 January 2015, 03:28
Bump.....[:D]

I really like this build and have some ideas in my head..anyways curious about how much this weighs and i see its a 20" barrel..im thinking a 16" build and just trying to get a ballpark what these 308 builds are weighing in at.

I just left for work but remind me and I'll try to weigh it tomorrow

DutyUse
6 January 2015, 03:29
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/16/76a60b29b2522695b1b6279450d3067f.jpg
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/16/fde7ffb3f69f1e6e2b2184f6bc2cf25c.jpg
- Main Components Custom Cerekoted Their Version of "kryptek" by Mad Custom Coatings
- Parts kit and buffer kit from Rainer Arms

I had a lot of fun on this build and learned a lot along the way. The 308 is definitely a different animal than a standard '15.

Wow didn't realize you won this! Double score! That cerakote pattern turned out wonderful. Jealous fo'sho

Dstrbdmedic167
6 January 2015, 03:32
Wow didn't realize you won this! Double score! That cerakote pattern turned out wonderful. Jealous fo'sho

Yep m! Very lucky and grateful!

GOST
6 January 2015, 04:31
That turned out great Dstrbd. Are you gonna put a bipod on it?

Dstrbdmedic167
6 January 2015, 04:40
That turned out great Dstrbd. Are you gonna put a bipod on it?

I have one that I share between all my rifles. It's no atlas but it works.

SeattleDude
8 January 2015, 15:37
that is a great build.

My next build will be a 308 on MEGA Maten skeleton. But that is later down the road =)

Dstrbdmedic167
8 January 2015, 18:52
that is a great build.

My next build will be a 308 on MEGA Maten skeleton. But that is later down the road =)

Thanks SD! I can only imagine what your build would end up like!

SeattleDude
8 January 2015, 19:28
Thanks SD! I can only imagine what your build would end up like!

I am imagining too now... an oh man I will need to work some serious overtime. High end parts are much more expensive than ar15 parts.

Dstrbdmedic167
8 January 2015, 19:30
I am imagining too now... an oh man I will need to work some serious overtime. High end parts are much more expensive than ar15 parts.

Indeed! If my wife knew what I spent on that build... Yea I'd be divorced or dead , probably dead. If she knew what the total value was... Hmm

mustangfreek
3 February 2015, 02:35
I see your using an adjustable gas block..

..Did i miss what buffer tube, spring and buffer your running?

I am confused on what crap to use and i will probably use a adjustable stock also when my build gets there...Thanks

Dstrbdmedic167
3 February 2015, 04:02
I see your using an adjustable gas block..

..Did i miss what buffer tube, spring and buffer your running?

I am confused on what crap to use and i will probably use a adjustable stock also when my build gets there...Thanks

Running a standard tube with the DPMS buffer and spring. Yes adj gas block since I knew I'd be running suppressed.

mustangfreek
3 February 2015, 04:43
So std ar15 tube and the 308 dpms buffer and 308 carbine or rifle spring, im assuming carbine..but?

It runs good? ejects good, weak?

Dstrbdmedic167
3 February 2015, 04:46
So std ar15 tube and the 308 dpms buffer and 308 carbine or rifle spring, im assuming carbine..but?

It runs good? ejects good, weak?

Yep! 308 carbine buffer and spring. Runs like a seeing machine. Ejection is 3:30-4:00 before I suppressed it. Still have to get everything dialed in as far as suppressed goes.