PDA

View Full Version : Fortis Switch Rail?

FortTom
6 September 2014, 18:54
Can anyone tell me anything about this rail, besides what's on their website? The lever system, is it sturdy, will it hold up under heavy conditions, etc. Anything you can tell me good or bad would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead,

FT

UWone77
7 September 2014, 15:13
FT are you planning to attach anything to the handguards?

FortTom
7 September 2014, 15:22
FT are you planning to attach anything to the handguards?

My hands? Hell I don't know, is this multiple choice? The dog ate my homework. My grandma died for the 47th time and I didn't get a chance to study?[:D]

I choose A. A DPMS Oracle AR-10....

Judicator
7 September 2014, 16:51
Haha wtf. FT is drunk again. If I get it prob just an mbus and a foregrip of some sort.

Sent from my IPhone, please ignore spelling mistakes. Siri is dumb.

FortTom
7 September 2014, 17:27
Haha wtf. FT is drunk again. If I get it prob just an mbus and a foregrip of some sort.

Sent from my IPhone, please ignore spelling mistakes. Siri is dumb.
No....not drunk...but you type like you're drunk. Or maybe "siri" is? [:)]

I'd like a 12 or 13" hand guard to have options for optics, hand placement and a bipod for some long range fun out of a 7.62 and get rid of the A3 hand guard. [:)] Also to free float barrel.

UWone77
10 September 2014, 12:38
FT,

I have 3 SWITCH Rails on my .308 builds. So far they've been pretty solid. I haven't noticed any movement or loosening with the lever. The rail feels good in the hand, depending on your shooting style. I think this is what the 556 REV Rail should have been. In fact, they are coming out with a SWITCH Rail for the 556 platform. The installation is also pretty simple.

Anyhow, the big difference in this rail is obviously the lever, that easily allows you to take the rail on and off. I'm not sure how many of us would really use or need that function. It does make it nice to take off the rail if you wanted to clean the gun under the handguards. Another benefit that's been mentioned is for taking on/off threaded suppressors. However, the diameter of the SWITCH rail doesn't allow for any 7.62 suppressor on the market that I know of.

FortTom
10 September 2014, 15:00
Cleaning under the rails was the only advantage I could think of. I really have never had a reason to remove a rail, other than to replace it or repairs. I wondered about being tempted to remove it every time I cleaned the weapon, that wear would eventually lead to loosening and weakening the upper. I've got everything from a stock, grip, trigger, KN Pins, and NiB Bolt in, or on order. The only thing I don't have is a rail and low profile gas block. I can shoot it for a while without a rail, but I really want to free float the barrel and add a couple accessories, mainly a bipod and BUIS. Keymod would be cool too.

FT

lattin1
17 September 2014, 12:05
I have the switch rail on a 338 federal I just built/assembled. I don't really have a need to remove the rail very often so maybe the lever mechanism is a little unnecessary for my needs but I love the rail itself. Its super lightweight, its sturdy, and it just plain looks good.

scar556
29 September 2014, 12:43
Does anyone know the I.D. of this rail? I'm not looking to clear a supressor but maybe a KAK flash can

Dstrbdmedic167
29 September 2014, 13:47
Does anyone know the I.D. of this rail? I'm not looking to clear a supressor but maybe a KAK flash can

If no one responds with dimensions by tomorrow morning ill measure mine when i get home from work.

scar556
29 September 2014, 16:44
Thank you .. I've sent messages to both Fortis and Rainer asking them as well

Gary jue
3 October 2014, 20:15
Nicest looking rail out there

Dstrbdmedic167
5 October 2014, 05:46

Sorry for the delay... Measures exactly 1.5" with my calipers

tact
5 October 2014, 08:21
I hope it clears a suppressor.....anxiously awaiting release of the 5.56 version.

JoshAston
5 October 2014, 08:27
1.5 would clear most 9mm suppressors, that's about it.

tact
5 October 2014, 12:02
1.5 would clear most 9mm suppressors, that's about it.

Well then I really don't see the point in a switch rail then......

UWone77
5 October 2014, 12:14
Well then I really don't see the point in a switch rail then......

The idea was if you had different configured handguards, you could buy additional "sleeves" and change the configuration rapidly.

tact
5 October 2014, 12:17
The idea was if you had different configured handguards, you could buy additional "sleeves" and change the configuration rapidly.

Understood.... I just thought it'd more of a benefit to remove and install a suppressor with some rail coverage. I just like a longer rail with my SBRs and suppressors.

UWone77
5 October 2014, 12:19
Understood.... I just thought it'd more of a benefit to remove and install a suppressor with some rail coverage. I just like a longer rail with my SBRs and suppressors.

I think they are working on a version with a wider ID to accommodate suppressors. Fortis right now has a lot of different projects they are trying to bring to market. The REV 2.0, SWITCH 5.56, and a Billet Upper (several versions).

tact
5 October 2014, 12:20
I think they are working on a version with a wider ID to accommodate suppressors. Fortis right now has a lot of different projects they are trying to bring to market. The REV 2.0, SWITCH 5.56, and a Billet Upper (several versions).

Sounds good....thanks!