PDA

View Full Version : What kind of shooting do you do with your AR?

rob_s
9 September 2014, 06:07
Sister thread to the "what drives your build". Pretty straightforward.

I currently shoot an AR about once a month in a local match (http://tssaidpa.us/wordpress/index.php/sfdcc/). It's a match I founded almost 10 years ago but haven't run for a long time. It's kind of "IDPA with rifles" but with some changes to the scoring to make it more rifle-centric and it's also based on the IDPA rules of 10 years ago so it's a little less administrative and restrictive. At any rate, I hadn't even shot with the club in probably almost 2 years before I shot all of last "season". The season runs from July to June IIRC and I came in second for the season using iron sights. Not bad. But the scoring rewards attendance as much as placement in an individual match, so it really just means I showed up at every match. [BD]

You can see the scores here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApTZXE2bHNQTdERqTnhPblM4S3p5ejZzTnl1VFRqM mc&usp=sharing#gid=2)

Other than that, I don't really shoot my ARs at all anymore. I used to attend multiple training classes each year, often shooting in the neighborhood of 6-10k rounds per year between matches and classes. I also used to run a "drills night" with the same club, helping teach anywhere from 10-25 shooters a night, once a month, in the basics of running the carbine. But that rarely involved me shooting much myself. I'm looking to start getting involved in the drills again.

I've hunted hogs... somewhere around 3-5 times with my AR. Canned hunts, on fenced property, from a swamp buggy.

I'm not much for precision shooting. I lack the patience, and the area I live in lacks the facilities to make it truly interesting. And it seems like a pretty big money pit, if you're not careful.

Speaking of money pits, something else I can't get into is 3-gun. Too much traveling, too much gear, guns I don't own already (semi-auto shotgun), and one more set of rules I don't want to be bothered learning. Or, dozens of sets of rules since nobody uses thee same ones. The local match I shoot in now is 2-gun, and I think that's the way to go since most people already have a carbine and a pistol along with minimal support gear.

so what kind of shooting do you do with your AR?

GOST
9 September 2014, 06:21
Mostly recreational for me on the family farm, no competitions. I probably shoot my handguns more than my ARs. Only about 2-3K rounds per year for me.

BC98
9 September 2014, 06:48
Primarily recreational shooting with some competition (2-gun or interoffice type stuff with coworkers) and long-range mixed in. I'll take a carbine course when budget and schedule allow because I have fun and always like learning something new.

rob_s
9 September 2014, 07:05
How do you guys define "recreational shooting". That's what I consider my match shooting. Are you talking about plinking? Something else? What do you plink... at?

voodoo_man
9 September 2014, 07:26
People shooting.

Pyzik
9 September 2014, 07:49
None... :(

Okay, seriously just the boring kind at the moment. Static range, shooting at paper.
Just took my carbine class and soon it will all change. Looking to become a member of a club so I can do the fun stuff.

rob_s
9 September 2014, 07:54
None... :(

Okay, seriously just the boring kind at the moment. Static range, shooting at paper.
Just took my carbine class and soon it will all change. Looking to become a member of a club so I can do the fun stuff.

For awhile classes and matches, and now just matches, are the only thing that keep my interest up relative to guns. It's probably been that way for me for 10+ years since I shot my first match. I absolutely dread the idea of the public range, sitting at the bench... hell, I don't even like the idea of "plinking" with friends. From time to time I get visitors from out of town that want to "go shooting", and the very thought sets my teeth on edge.

Not that one is any better than the other, I just couldn't go back to that kind of shooting once I was exposed to action shooting comps and classes.

GOST
9 September 2014, 08:08
How do you guys define "recreational shooting". That's what I consider my match shooting. Are you talking about plinking? Something else? What do you plink... at?

Plinking, various paper targets. I like using the high visibility reactive targets. I also like jugs filled with water and aluminum cans. I have some barricades made out of pallets in field. Would like to get some steel targets made once I have more funds. About the only hunting I do anymore is varmint, like ground hogs and skunks. At the farm 300 yards is about the farthest we can safely shoot, most is done under that though. There is a nice local range not to far from the farm that my buddies use that has both 600 and 1000 yard bench rest, but I don't have the patience to join them.

Pyzik
9 September 2014, 08:14
For awhile classes and matches, and now just matches, are the only thing that keep my interest up relative to guns. It's probably been that way for me for 10+ years since I shot my first match. I absolutely dread the idea of the public range, sitting at the bench... hell, I don't even like the idea of "plinking" with friends. From time to time I get visitors from out of town that want to "go shooting", and the very thought sets my teeth on edge.

Not that one is any better than the other, I just couldn't go back to that kind of shooting once I was exposed to action shooting comps and classes.

Yup. This is my future. Haha

MoxyDave
9 September 2014, 14:43
I had my first intro to precision shooting with my latest build. It was entertaining seeing how accurately I can punch paper at long distance, but it got boring fast. Lately I've been going with some friends to some private land where we have a home-grown 3-gun setup going, and that's a lot more fun. We have an Action Target dueling tree for .22lr, then some steel at various distances for handgun and AR. We don't shoot shotguns much, not sure why. I'd like to try skeet shooting one of these days.

I've been a member of a private indoor range for years and I recently let my membership go; shooting at a static range is just so stinkin' boring! It's fine for learning fundamentals, but I'd rather be able to knock down 5 steel targets while on the move than shoot 5 perfect bullseyes on paper.

gatordev
10 September 2014, 13:23
I've been a member of a private indoor range for years and I recently let my membership go; shooting at a static range is just so stinkin' boring! It's fine for learning fundamentals, but I'd rather be able to knock down 5 steel targets while on the move than shoot 5 perfect bullseyes on paper.

I hate shooting for groups, be it at 100m or 600m. But shooting long distance at steel can make it more interesting if you have the initial patience. Honestly, I think taking a class or two gave me more patience because it gave me the tools to understand what I'm doing. Generally people don't like to shoot when there's wind because then they miss. Personally, I find that's when long distance shooting can get more interesting because you have to actually practice an art rather than just putting the reticule on the target and making sure you squeeze correctly.

All that said, running and gunning with a carbine is still plenty 'o fun in my book.

UWone77
10 September 2014, 13:56
Lately, all my shooting has been zero'ing of the massive amount of uppers I have.

Pyzik
10 September 2014, 14:09
Lately, all my shooting has been zero'ing of the massive amount of uppers I have.

First world problems.

browcs
10 September 2014, 15:59
Training at work mostly these days...on my own time, which is scarce these days, to mostly function check and confirm zeroes.

Naytwan
10 September 2014, 19:37
Mostly recreational. I have done some training. Need to do more. I've also wanted to do 3 gun but I need Mossberg 930 JM.

Nuclear_Arms
10 September 2014, 20:06
I shot a lot of two gun matches in Montana. The whole club was run by a USAF Master Sergeant who had us run drills over and over, with a monthly informal match for some money.

I now focus mainly on fundamentals. I don't shoot for groups, necessarily, but I try to focus on first rounds hits of a target of a given size at a given range within a given amount, from various positions. I really enjoyed getting behind a bipod and scope and shooting at long ranges, but I find a lot of satisfaction in making hits on small targets from awkward positions.

rob_s
11 September 2014, 05:06
People shooting.

Do that a lot, do you?

BC98
11 September 2014, 07:26

I should have been more clear about the term. For me, recreational shooting is:
-zeroing/confirming zero
-satisfying my OCD need to know how each gun groups on paper at 100
-slapping some steel at distance
-random plinking on some buddies' property
-function/accuracy testing of handloads

voodoo_man
11 September 2014, 14:39
Do that a lot, do you?

Can't say really, lawyers would kill me.

camomike
11 September 2014, 19:24
I'm a recreational shooter here as well. I like silhouette targets at varying distance. Prefer pistol over rifle. Most of my shooting anymore is with my sister, working on defensive shooting.

Naytwan
11 September 2014, 19:56

Going to the dollar store and buying up the melons and heading to the desert. Watching a watermelon explode never gets old. Thats my definition of recreational.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3844/15212833475_191df29430_z.jpg

rob_s
12 September 2014, 03:15
Going to the dollar store and buying up the melons and heading to the desert. Watching a watermelon explode never gets old. Thats my definition of recreational.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3844/15212833475_191df29430_z.jpg

When I was in college we would go plinking. Always stopped at Walmart for a case of Sam's Choice cola to shake up and use as targets. Very entertaining.

Naytwan
12 September 2014, 19:36
When I was in college we would go plinking. Always stopped at Walmart for a case of Sam's Choice cola to shake up and use as targets. Very entertaining.

Yeah, we had a bunch of dollar store sodas as well. Your right very entertaining.

surfish95747
12 September 2014, 19:41
New here, but I shoot at the range and coyote hunt with my ar. I built it for those purposes and also as a home defense gun. It's the gun my wife shoots the absolute best. It's just an overall well functioning firearm. I just barely started coyote hunting last month, so I haven't actually taken one yet, but soon hopefully!

Computalotapus
12 September 2014, 20:03
New here, but I shoot at the range and coyote hunt with my ar. I built it for those purposes and also as a home defense gun. It's the gun my wife shoots the absolute best. It's just an overall well functioning firearm. I just barely started coyote hunting last month, so I haven't actually taken one yet, but soon hopefully!

Yotes are evasive lil rascals

Supergyro
12 September 2014, 20:30
Recently I've been pushing myself in the precision arena, and within the limitations of my rifle (std chrome-lined M4 barrel free-floated, std trigger) I've been making some improvements. Last weekend I was able to shoot a 8" group at 686 yds (1.1 MOA) with Fiocci Exacta 77 SMK.

BTW, this is an awesome forum! I've lurked and read the articles since the site's beginning, but Stick's giveaway was the impetus to join the forum itself, and now I'm wondering why I didn't do it sooner.

Bimmer425
14 September 2014, 17:39
I'm somewhat new too. Welcome fellas!

GaSwamper
14 September 2014, 18:42
Well I try to build all my rifles with hunting in mind, one of the reasons I like the .277 line for an AR so much. I do like trying to make the tiny bug holes here and there mostly because it lets me know all my fundamentals are consistent and well a half inch group or better at 100yds is pretty dang satisfying. Recently got to shoot the steel at distance and liked it so much I got a set in the mail now, I think it will up the fun level of shooting for the wife alot. Would love to do some 2 or 3 gun eventually but the downside of middle GA is most of this is done several hours north of me. Just not alot of ranges in the area. Starting to get more into trying some drills and practice with the AR as a defensive weapon since ive truly come to like the platform and hey it can't hurt right I just like to shoot anyway. But honestly for defensive drills I try to stay more in tune with the handgun since this is what I would have on me in places I feel a real world threat could possibly happen.

WHSmithIV
14 September 2014, 19:29
I'm still testing the one I built. I don't think I'll be hunting deer with it when hunting season starts in around a month. I'm likely to go ahead and use my old .303 Lee Enfield. Haven't decided yet for sure though. During the dark nights of winter it will be the go to gun for checking the livestock. I've had to shoot at coyotes and wolves and on the pitch black nights, that's a problem. That's why I built the AR - so it would have the tac light available.

Partly it will depend on if I can get any heavier grain ammo above 55 grain. If I don't, then I'll most definitely be using my .303 or my 30/30 lever action Marlin. 55 grain .223 is a pretty crappy bullet for taking down a whitetail deer and I have 2 deer tags I'll fill.

GaSwamper
14 September 2014, 19:33
I'm still testing the one I built. I don't think I'll be hunting deer with it when hunting season starts in around a month. I'm likely to go ahead and use my old .303 Lee Enfield. Haven't decided yet for sure though. During the dark nights of winter it will be the go to gun for checking the livestock. I've had to shoot at coyotes and wolves and on the pitch black nights, that's a problem. That's why I built the AR - so it would have the tac light available.

Partly it will depend on if I can get any heavier grain ammo above 55 grain. If I don't, then I'll most definitely be using my .303 or my 30/30 lever action Marlin. 55 grain .223 is a pretty crappy bullet for taking down a whitetail deer and I have 2 deer tags I'll fill.

Sounds like a 6.8 upper needed. Would be cool to take some deer with the Enfield though.

SGT.G
14 September 2014, 21:58
Mostly Training, being in the military we Train a lot. All though lately I have found myself getting into percision shooting on my spare time. I am looking into 3 gun, or a long range competition for next year.

WHSmithIV
14 September 2014, 22:34
Mostly Training, being in the military we Train a lot. All though lately I have found myself getting into percision shooting on my spare time. I am looking into 3 gun, or a long range competition for next year.

I'd like to do competitions but there aren't any within at least 2 hours of here in the mountains - probably more. Just too expensive to make that kind of trip to go shooting. I am going to set up some one mile shots though :)

WHSmithIV
14 September 2014, 22:42
Sounds like a 6.8 upper needed. Would be cool to take some deer with the Enfield though.

My Enfield is my hunting rifle with it's iron sights - been hunting with it for the last 2 seasons. I'm good to at least 300 yards with that rifle. Not too bad for a rifle made in 1953 and a 54 year old guy :)

One of the interesting things about these old Lee Enfields is just how little real kick they have for the power that they spit out. The Marlin 303/30 doesn't quite have the distance or the power but the kick is pretty much equivalent. Shorter cartridge, less powder and a shorter barrel. It's a great saddle rifle though.

I'm planning on going for a one mile shot with that old Lee Enfield. Just haven't found a way to measure a mile with my horse yet in one of the mountain ravines.

egress81
15 September 2014, 20:13
My first one I bought to shoot coyotes with, the second I built to plink with (dissipator) that I also shot 3 gun with. My third was to be built as a trainer for 3 gun in .22 but it quickly took on a life of its own and now while is shootable is not finished. My next one is to be a pistol/close in pig gun.

Bikerdog
15 September 2014, 20:27
Tactical training mostly. With a little long range paper punching and some hunting with the AR10 thrown In for good measure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

velocity2006
16 September 2014, 13:32
Mostly recreational with emphasis on making my shots more consistent and faster. Usually setup some targets down a road and do a run and gun situation for 5-10 targets (depends on how lazy I feel when packing everything). If I am feeling uber Costa I will wear my plate carrier and practice reload drills also.

Lately I had some work done to my precision rifle so I have been enjoying ringing some steel out to about 800. I need to make friends with someone with a chronograph and a laser rangefinder so I can get really dialed in. Mainly using GPS/Google Maps for distance calculation that or someone with some property that already has steel out at 1k :P.

Would also love do to some predator coyote hunting but I don't think they are as abundant here (S. OR) as in some other states.

gatordev
17 September 2014, 13:31
Lately I had some work done to my precision rifle so I have been enjoying ringing some steel out to about 800. I need to make friends with someone with a chronograph and a laser rangefinder so I can get really dialed in. Mainly using GPS/Google Maps for distance calculation that or someone with some property that already has steel out at 1k :P.

Don't forget, with the right reticule, you can measure distance yourself with a little patience. It's actually pretty amazing how close you can get.

velocity2006
17 September 2014, 14:36
Yeah I have a Mildot reticule for the scope on my long range rifle and it works okay for ranging, just a lot of math and measuring stuff before hand. Also it has MOA turrets rather than MIL/MIL which is what I would prefer, just more math with my setup now. Usually do a combo of reticule raning and using gps and I get pretty close, but a higher end rangefinder would be nice to just have more data.

Gotta love calculus :P

avtech850
17 September 2014, 17:17
My whole shooting focus up until a few years ago was long range shooting and varmint hunting. I would love to do some competitive shooting but this area is a dead zone for shooting sports. The only kind of matches going on are tactical two gun, which seems fun but the entire group of guys are the overweight late twenties type that show up in full plate carriers and fast helmets and throw around words like operator and tangos way too much for me. Lately Ive just been trying to teach myself the ends and outs of using a AR as something more than a way to blast herds of deer in my peanut fields at night. (We get depredation permits so it is legal) Any hot types for carbine training near the Pensacola Fl area would be greatly appreciated by the way!!

ennbee15
4 October 2014, 14:30
Classes. Recreational training. Lol Like most I've shot my pistols more trying to improve that skillset. But I always go back to that rifle.

toolboxluis00200
4 October 2014, 14:34
to train and protect my self

LeonTheLion
5 October 2014, 17:36
Mostly at the range, which I had the time and money to take some classes.

wareagle700
8 October 2014, 19:07
Mostly precision shooting and hunting with handloaded ammo. I load for AR's in both .223/5.56 and .308 and shoot both in competition.

I wish I had the time and money to burn through several hundred rounds per weekend like I use to but those days are few and far between. When I get the time to shoot, I like to make each shot count..........usually from several hundred yards away ;) .

Crump45
10 October 2014, 14:03
Mostly precision shooting and hunting with handloaded ammo. I load for AR's in both .223/5.56 and .308 and shoot both in competition.

I wish I had the time and money to burn through several hundred rounds per weekend like I use to but those days are few and far between. When I get the time to shoot, I like to make each shot count..........usually from several hundred yards away ;) .

Off topic but War Eagle!

cagekicker204
10 October 2014, 16:38
Mostly shoot at work almost every month (Snow makes it interesting policing up 45 brass) Glock 21 and Remington 870. Probably only get my personal weapons out maybe once a month I have a informal range in the woods of my family's farm me and my friends frequent. Mostly running drills and informal competition however it's hard to find a place where we can get out past 100 yards. Mostly shoot and see targets, milk jugs, cereal boxes and we have a bunch of paper zombie silhouette targets. It's one of the few local places we can shoot and move like we do at work where personally owned weapons are the devil. I was at a sportsmans club two years ago shooting with my kids right when everyone was pulling out the deer rifles a few days before the season opened. My father and I were coaching my two 6 year Olds with their little Cricket rifles when we witnessed an older gentleman have an AD as he removed a rifle from his truck. We packed the kids up and beat feet to the old farm and have been shooting there ever since. I wish I had the time for competition and precision practice but most of my long guns are set up for up close.

BP_Z28
12 October 2014, 06:48
I've only taken mine to the range once since building it.

Mine is mostly a range toy. Would like to give it a try with coyote hunting. Or hunting of some sort. I have a decent glass on there for the occasion

skymark
19 October 2014, 08:53
Plinking, plinking, and more plinking, (a little paper punching, fizzy targets, long range steel gong). Plus varmints on my own property (fox, coyote, raccoon).

Former11B
19 October 2014, 09:17
I use them for HD, hunting, precision rifle, and general target shooting. Versatile platform

ZKK
24 October 2014, 07:02
First let me say if you are physically able to train, DO IT! I am on almost 2 years of medical problems keeping me from serious training. I miss it , BAD! I feel my skills deteriorating, I still dry practice and do what I can. I had to sell all my AR's and build a AR pistol due to the need for money and inability to shoot long guns for some time, looking at my 870 makes me cringe. I can shoot still just not for long. No run and gun for a while. I still practice drills just more static. I can't go prone either, kinda screwed.
I had to make a lot of changes including how and what pistol I carry. I have been doing a lot of dry practice with my Glock from my carry rig.

I guess even now with limitations on my ability I train for defensive purposes mainly. This may seem like work to some but I find it rewarding and fun.

My last AR 15, a pistol.
http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t347/johnleehomicide/0102-3.jpg (http://s514.photobucket.com/user/johnleehomicide/media/0102-3.jpg.html)

MonkeyBomb
24 October 2014, 10:47
I generally shoot for training at work. Mostly 100 yards and closer and more often than not, it's close in shooting or in a shoot house. I used to love longer range shooting and we have a 1300 yard range now. Unfortunately it takes an act of god or plain old scamming to get in on the long range.