PDA

View Full Version : Which BCG would you pick?

DutyUse
11 September 2014, 23:49
So I'm getting close to finishing my new personal build and I'm having a hard time deciding on which Bolt & Carrier to chose. This will be a hard use training rifle and is made up of mostly BCM products.

Of these three which would you pick and why?

First: Umbrella Corporation Bolt Carrier Gen2
Second: The new Sharps Relia-Bolt & Carrier
Third: Old faithful, The BCM

Or if you have any other suggestions please suggest.

GOST
12 September 2014, 00:12
I would pick the Umbrella BCG mainly cause it's the cheapest, but I have always had good luck with BCM.

six8
12 September 2014, 13:17
BCM here.

Stone
12 September 2014, 14:11
NOTA. If I did another DI build it would be LWRC's one piece BC, hands down. My last build I went with the WMD. http://www.f3tac.com/lwrci-di-bolt-carrier-group-assy/

titanse05
12 September 2014, 14:46
Of those three, BCM without a doubt. You call it ol' faithful.... there's a reason for that. ;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Uffdaphil
12 September 2014, 15:02
BCM FAis my usual. Also trust Colt FA. And the LMT Enhanced carrier (not bolt) which is supposed to help an overgassed barrel though I have not had that problem yet. I have one Fail Zero for a fun gun which seems great, but has not a long enough track record to bet my life on. All these new and improved BCGs out there may be fine, but I'll let others cycle X million rounds through to prove it.

UWone77
12 September 2014, 15:05
I don't know if this is really a brand x is better than brand z. There are a lot of BCG's out there with proven track records. Personally, I'd run the BCM or the UCWRG because I've run both before (No experience with the Sharps) and not over think it. What it boils down for most of us is price.

VIPER 237
12 September 2014, 15:20
The Sharps really has my interest, but for the price point i'll stick with BCM.

DutyUse
12 September 2014, 21:05
Thanks for voting

DutyUse
13 September 2014, 02:36
I don't know if this is really a brand x is better than brand z. There are a lot of BCG's out there with proven track records. Personally, I'd run the BCM or the UCWRG because I've run both before (No experience with the Sharps) and not over think it. What it boils down for most of us is price.

I agree there is little difference once you get to the top echelon of manufacturers. For a fighting rifle I chose a BCM complete and it's served me well, but for a training rifle to beat up on it's interesting to try out different variations.

NoveskeRad
13 September 2014, 08:22
Tuff call... I'll go w the BCM just based off of my experience owning one. Not one prob ever!

UWone77
13 September 2014, 08:44
Thanks for voting

Just get all 3 and call it a day... you know eventually they'll go on a new rifle or current project. At least that's the way I look at it. [:D]

DutyUse
13 September 2014, 10:30
Just get all 3 and call it a day... you know eventually they'll go on a new rifle or current project. At least that's the way I look at it. [:D]

Ha good point, I'm up to 2 of the 3 since ordering the umbrella last night, surprisingly tactical link still had a few gen 2s in stock.

We both must suffer from the same disease ... the wife wants to build a "pistol" AR soon which will give me a good excuse to order the whole sharps unit then lol. I'm intrigued by the lug redesign more then anything.

Cmcconnell0300
13 September 2014, 11:45
BCM out of those three.

Aragorn
13 September 2014, 12:30
I've got a bcm bolt for a spare, thinking real hard about getting the sharps carrier though to go with my relia-bolt.

Really though, of those three any are fine. When in doubt though, I defer to my universal decision making device (Most other people call it a quarter). [BD]

LeonTheLion
13 September 2014, 15:34
I love my BCM!

MechMan82
13 September 2014, 17:08
Fathom Arms is pretty good. The enhanced BCG is made by Azimuth..

avtech850
13 September 2014, 19:03
BCM is the no brainer too me. Like others including yourself have said. "Ole Faithful"

shadow1
14 September 2014, 16:07
BCM has never let me down.

DutyUse
14 September 2014, 16:42
Fathom Arms is pretty good. The enhanced BCG is made by Azimuth..

These also look intriguing to me, but If I wanted melonite bcg I'd probably get an aim for 99$

MechMan82
14 September 2014, 16:50
These also look intriguing to me, but If I wanted melonite bcg I'd probably get an aim for 99$

The AIM is good. But, the only thing those two BCGs have in common is the coating. A lot more machining and design improvements in the Fathom/Azimuth stuff. It's a preference thing for sure.

Computalotapus
14 September 2014, 16:50

For $99 bucks I would pick up the NiB from Ares Armor again and again and again.

JohnnyGeek
15 September 2014, 06:28
I just picked up a Palmetto State Armory NiB bolt for $99 and I'll absolutely be getting another one for the next build.

rob_s
15 September 2014, 06:37
Colt.

If not, BCM.

I see no benefit to any of the others besides cost-cutting, whale-jizz coatings, and snake-oil or aesthetic machining.

Caveat, if you have a KAC barrel extension, buy a KAC bolt.

okdonk
15 September 2014, 12:41
BCM BCG is always on top of my list. Noveske RCA Black Nitride or the new UCWRG gen2 on the 2nd choice.

Slippers
15 September 2014, 12:54
Surprised you would consider the RCA after all the hubbub, inconsistent quality, and poor customer service they displayed on the forums.

Skippy
15 September 2014, 12:59
Aero Precision NiB

okdonk
15 September 2014, 13:23
Surprised you would consider the RCA after all the hubbub, inconsistent quality, and poor customer service they displayed on the forums.

Understood. But so far flawless on mine.

DutyUse
15 September 2014, 15:22

This. They made a limited run noveske branded one and I about pulled the trigger on it , after a little digging I'm glad I didn't. No offense to anyone who has one.

Fathom_Arms
17 September 2014, 15:48
If you decide to give our products a try, we have your back. We offer a no B.S. lifetime warranty against defects. We stand behind our gear, and more importantly our customers, 100%.

DutyUse
17 September 2014, 16:08
You are too quick! wrong account! lol

If you decide to give our products a try, we have your back. We offer a no B.S. lifetime warranty against defects. We stand behind our gear, and more importantly our customers, 100%.

I only recently saw your new nitride BCG for the first time and I'm sure it will end up in a project soon. For a manufacturer to stand behind a hard use item like a Bolt is incredible!

Fathom_Arms
17 September 2014, 16:17
I only recently saw your new nitride BCG for the first time and I'm sure it will end up in a project soon. For a manufacturer to stand behind a hard use item like a Bolt is incredible!

If the bolt snaps because of a defect, we will replace it no questions asked.

JGifford
19 September 2014, 07:52
Understood. But so far flawless on mine.

I bought several. One or two, I sold after verifying that it would headspace. Three I gave to friends. One peened. Two ran great. Really a hit/miss thing, but if yours is G2G, it's a great BCG.

Personally, I am looking very hard at Azimuth if mil-spec is not on the menu.

JGifford
19 September 2014, 07:58

RCA said almost the exact same thing, but did you ever call them to ask them to make good on it? Jeez...

Definitely not saying you or your company is like that, and I am pretty sure you are not, given who Azimuth supplies.

My questions: What kind of surface finish is on an Azimuth enhanced BCG? Is the thing slick like a JP, or are there little machine ridges, etc.? Maybe expecting hand-polished slick for the price-point is a bit much, but I'm curious.

Also, other than the obvious dimensional changes, what has been altered from a typical BCG design?

I like what I term "the sand cut".

Fathom_Arms
19 September 2014, 08:58
RCA said almost the exact same thing, but did you ever call them to ask them to make good on it? Jeez...

Definitely not saying you or your company is like that, and I am pretty sure you are not, given who Azimuth supplies.

My questions: What kind of surface finish is on an Azimuth enhanced BCG? Is the thing slick like a JP, or are there little machine ridges, etc.? Maybe expecting hand-polished slick for the price-point is a bit much, but I'm curious.

Also, other than the obvious dimensional changes, what has been altered from a typical BCG design?

I like what I term "the sand cut".

I can't speak for RCA. But, as stated before, if there is a defect with our gear we will cover it. There is definitely trust on both sides of the coin.

Hand polishing is not done. Adding to what you touched on, we hit a price point thats the same as some standard phosphate BCGs. The machining work is top notch and any machining marks are already at a bare minimum. What we have is a very functional BCG that looks great as well.

Here is some info on BCG. If you would like specs, I can list those too, but the specs are also on our website. We have reviews coming in by Chris Tran, Modern Arms, and hopefully another avenue that we are keeping under wraps for now. In my signature there is also reviews of our standard BCG and our URG. Give them a look as well.

The enhanced bolt carrier is designed to reduce carrier tilt/cant during recoil and increasing reliability by strategically relocating key bearing surfaces. The enhanced carrier has fewer points of contact resulting in less friction area and the slight increase in carrier mass extends dwell time and ensures proper gas pressures for reliable extraction. Carrier bearing surfaces are ground after heat treatment to ensure proper and unaltered tolerances. Every single BCG is also hand debuted then tumbled. The bolt home in the carrier is honed after heat treating as well, to both ensure proper tolerances and smooth movement and to also remove any sharp edges caused by the cam path milling. Every single portion and of the BCG is held beyond Mil-Spec tolerances.

The Bolt is “true” Mil-Spec dimension and external surfaces are CNC ground after heat treat for a precision fit. The bolt bearing surfaces are ground after heat treating to ensure proper and unaltered tolerances.

Here a few pics of the BCG to see the surface finish. The last photo is to show logo placement through the port.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/71Novacaine/10507160_813487205351925_832805249810606184_ocopy_ zps5991a24a.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/71Novacaine/enhancedbcgcrop_zps51a5ad34.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/71Novacaine/FathomArmsAR15BoltCarrierGroupM16_zps26ad4715.jpg

GaSwamper
19 September 2014, 10:15
Im normally a NiB guy but that nitride finish does look slick. Spade logo is a nice touch. I do focus mainly on function but I bet this would look great in a burnt bronze upper.

GOST
19 September 2014, 10:39
I have a bad case of over cleaning and lubing my BCG's, so on my last build I tried a NIB coated one. While it is easier to clean and needs less lube I am going back to phosphate coated ones. For my preference I like how the phosphate ones hold the lube in place better.

GaSwamper
19 September 2014, 10:52
I have a bad case of over cleaning and lubing my BCG's, so on my last build I tried a NIB coated one. While it is easier to clean and needs less lube I am going back to phosphate coated ones. For my preference I like how the phosphate ones hold the lube in place better.

When I first started using NiB I lubed that sucker up like I normally would. Needless to say I soon found out every where oil can come out of an AR. But no issues after several hundred rounds and they say thats how it's supose to work I guess.

GOST
19 September 2014, 11:07
Your probably correct, but old habits are hard to break.

DutyUse
19 September 2014, 11:17
The only "coated" bcg I've had was one of the BCM ionbonded. The next one I buy will be the Fathom Arms for sure, those suckers are beautiful.

JGifford
19 September 2014, 14:48

I'm in the middle, here. I DO like running things wet, but also realize that the only contact surfaces of a BCG will not retain oil when it's running best.

What I mean is, you have the "skids" and gas-key surfaces. The rest? It's just oil sitting there doing nada except making it easy to wipe the carrier off. Those skids quickly wear down the phosphate layer to bare steel if you shoot even a little bit, and the carrier movement gets slicker and it runs better, in my experience.

So...soaking even a phosphate BCG in oil past the break-in period is kindof pointless, in my opinion, based on "the numbers".

I have shot with other QPQ bcg's, and they flat-out run. Very slick.

My main question is...hardness. How does the extra hardness of the bolt affect the barrel extension? I know a mil-spec BCG has very tightly controlled/spec'ed RC levels on pretty much every surface, and at every depth.

UWone77
28 September 2014, 20:45
So, after all this... what BCG did you go with?

DutyUse
28 September 2014, 21:11

I picked the UCWRG BCG for this build, though I'll get a Fathom BCG next for our pistol.

My New Build (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?6292-My-New-Build)

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/IMG_0780_zps541a2fb1.jpg

JGifford
29 September 2014, 01:29

I went with...
The ones in my guns. Daniel defense and soon Hodge Defense. I can't share specs for the Hodge gun until they are public and it's released. I'm planning to replace the dd bcg with a Fathom bcg soon though.

Good to see the umbrella getting some love!

GOST
29 September 2014, 02:09
This Hodge AU-MOD 2 is getting more hype than Downton Abbey.

JGifford
29 September 2014, 02:33
This Hodge AU-MOD 2 is getting more hype than Downton Abbey.

With good cause. I can't wait to have one. It's all that, so to speak. Very impressive and well thought out.

Muad
29 September 2014, 08:17
I run Colt, FN, or BCM BCGs in my rifles.

The Sharps looks interesting, mainly the S7 bolt. When they first launched the Realia-bolt, the price was steep. Now that they are "on sale" for $80, the bolt itself might be worth it. I'm not sure the design will really help reduce failures, but the S7 tool steel construction is appealing (supposedly 75% stronger, etc.)

Vesticles
30 September 2014, 09:51
I chose BCM, of the three listed. You really can't go wrong there.

I also have a LaRue BCG and a WMB NiB-X, I absolutely love the WMD!

ZaneMasterx
2 October 2014, 14:18
BCM

DutyUse
2 October 2014, 22:44
Instead of starting a new thread, can you coat a mil spec phosphate BCG like the BCM? I know they use to offer the ionbond and I let someone talk it outta mine.

Could I send one to be QPQ'd or other treatment? Would this mess with the original heat treatment?

JGifford
3 October 2014, 02:28
Instead of starting a new thread, can you coat a mil spec phosphate BCG like the BCM? I know they use to offer the ionbond and I let someone talk it outta mine.

Could I send one to be QPQ'd or other treatment? Would this mess with the original heat treatment?

Gotta QPQ it from the get-go because of the chrome lining.

GOST
3 October 2014, 04:59

I've heard of people getting a BCM NiB coated. I wouldn't though, would be afraid of the tolerances being thrown off.

GHOSTMAN
2 November 2014, 13:39
I picked up a PSA full auto nickel boron bcg for $119
Very nice look and feel, great quality, runs great and stays cleaner, easier to clean, was $119 not too bad

toolboxluis00200
2 November 2014, 14:15
UBCG FTW
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x151/toolboxluis/BCGUCWR1of1-9_zps3f1eec1f.jpg (http://s183.photobucket.com/user/toolboxluis/media/BCGUCWR1of1-9_zps3f1eec1f.jpg.html)
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x151/toolboxluis/BCGUCWR1of1-6_zps65f4f7c8.jpg (http://s183.photobucket.com/user/toolboxluis/media/BCGUCWR1of1-6_zps65f4f7c8.jpg.html)

DutyUse
2 November 2014, 14:22
UBCG FTW
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x151/toolboxluis/BCGUCWR1of1-9_zps3f1eec1f.jpg (http://s183.photobucket.com/user/toolboxluis/media/BCGUCWR1of1-9_zps3f1eec1f.jpg.html)
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x151/toolboxluis/BCGUCWR1of1-6_zps65f4f7c8.jpg (http://s183.photobucket.com/user/toolboxluis/media/BCGUCWR1of1-6_zps65f4f7c8.jpg.html)

Looks Familiar but puts my photos to shame :D

How are you liking the UCWRG so far?

Soisauss
2 November 2014, 15:37

What this guy said. Hell, even psa premium bcg is good to go, and I have several psa bcg and they perform flawlessly.

It's what your wallet allows I suppose.

markm
3 November 2014, 06:50
NOTA. If I did another DI build it would be LWRC's one piece BC, hands down. My last build I went with the WMD. http://www.f3tac.com/lwrci-di-bolt-carrier-group-assy/

I do love when LWRCi's employees chime in and suggest something nobody wants.

JGifford
3 November 2014, 08:59

SAI is also doing a 1-peice. Except the gas-key isn't roll-pinned on or whatever. It's actually ONE piece.

UWone77
3 November 2014, 09:15
Other than a bolt break, how often are people actually getting malfunctions due to the Carrier itself?

$340 for a 1 piece BCG is rather steep for possibly minimal gains.

JGifford
3 November 2014, 09:30
Other than a bolt break, how often are people actually getting malfunctions due to the Carrier itself?

$340 for a 1 piece BCG is rather steep for possibly minimal gains.

I don't think there ARE any gains to be had with it.

UWone77
3 November 2014, 09:33
I don't think there ARE any gains to be had with it.

I was trying to be diplomatic. [:D]

I agree, I don't think there any advantages. I could buy 3 BCG's for the price of that one.

rob_s
3 November 2014, 09:56
Don't know about carriers failing, but I've dropped them on the gas key before and dented it. Replace key, or replace entire one-piece $300+ carrier?

DutyUse
3 November 2014, 11:29
I was trying to be diplomatic. [:D]

I agree, I don't think there any advantages. I could buy 3 BCG's for the price of that one.

Wow I thought I was getting numb when I started noticing High End BCGs hitting high prices.. But wow 300? And not made of Ti?

toolboxluis00200
3 November 2014, 12:33
Looks Familiar but puts my photos to shame :D

How are you liking the UCWRG so far?

so far i love it i want to get one of ther lower so i can make a pistol:P:P

VIPER 237
3 November 2014, 12:36

I've had a couple bcg' done in Cerakote's Micro Slick, I'm a big fan of it and honestly I prefer it to NiB and you can get it done after market for $40-ish.

Stone
3 November 2014, 15:43

Real simple solution then, don't buy one. Capiche?

UWone77
4 November 2014, 15:19
Real simple solution then, don't buy one. Capiche?

You'll have to forgive markm, he hates LWRC [:D]

Stone do you have one of these BCGs? Do you run it?

Stone
4 November 2014, 17:07
Hey UW, yeah I know he is a real LWRC basher from way back. Did my best to respond diplomatically, wasn't easy my friend. No, I don't have one but am considering it for a future build. Agreed that the price point needs to come down a bit though. I wonder what F3 is marking them up at??

JGifford
5 November 2014, 20:21
I would go out on a limb and say that maybe MarkM is more of a Paul L. basher than an LWRC basher, at heart, deep down...