PDA

View Full Version : External Plate/Soft Armor carrier suggestions?

Nathan_Mack
14 September 2014, 16:19
My Shellback Banshee carrier that I've been toting about for 2 years no longer has the blessing of my department (multicam looks like evil?). So, I am looking for a new rig. I could go get a black Banshee rig, but the frontal area is minimal (by design) and I want more soft armor coverage options.

I've been all over the interwebs and I am coming up short of things. Shellback makes the Aggressor, but I don't need/want badge grommets on the front and it's velcro area for patches is too minimal, so...

Anyone with suggestions for a soft/hard armor carrier that won't bankrupt me? TYR makes some sick rigs, but they are all $450+. There must be a black color options, don over the head and have MOLLE on the front at a minimum. No Safariland or Point Blank stuff, either.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Feel free to post pics.

DutyUse
14 September 2014, 16:50
I've been saving my pennies for a FirstSpear Strandhogg. It's one of the pricier rigs but the tube system ease of entry would make donning it quick. Which is what you would need if you had to break out a PC. Just my two cents

UWone77
14 September 2014, 19:12
I use a Tactical Tailor Fight Light Carrier at work.

Range use... the Grey Ghost Gear Minimalist carrier is hard to beat.

Just curious, what about the Banshee isn't good to go with your department anymore? I'm all too familiar with regulations that don't make any sense, so I feel your pain there.

Nathan_Mack
14 September 2014, 19:24
I use a Tactical Tailor Fight Light Carrier at work.

Range use... the Grey Ghost Gear Minimalist carrier is hard to beat.

Just curious, what about the Banshee isn't good to go with your department anymore? I'm all too familiar with regulations that don't make any sense, so I feel your pain there.

We have no official regs that define the rifle threat kits we choose to purchase on our own dime. It's the Multicam color they don't like anymore. I only don it for shooter situations and perimeters involving manhunts for known armed suspects.

But I am working in a plain clothes/jump out crew now, so I want one easily donned for hot calls and ops where were getting out on specific targets. I want more soft armor coverage on my sides. It's just needs molle on the lower half of the front, at minimum. Just enough room for 3 pistol mags, 1 or 2 rifle mags and radio pouch, basically.

UWone77
15 September 2014, 18:39
I've been using a Tactical Tailor Low Profile Armor Carrier for the last 5 years. I use it at the range, and also throw it in the car for the rare times I'm wearing plain clothes on duty. It's easy to throw over your outfit and has enough room to carry everything you need. There's also room for hard plates in conjunction with soft armor.

Wildman5427
12 October 2014, 16:09
You can get a custom vest carrier made at Wilde Built Tactical. Law enforcement owned and operated.
Www.wildebuilttactical.com

Stone
12 October 2014, 18:31
Diamond Back Tactical has the Advanced Warrior Fast Attack Plate Carrier-AW-FAPCR which can come with soft armor sewed in already and you can add and remove your plates as needed.
http://www.bodyarmoroutlet.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?manufacturer[]=83