PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Machine Silencers?

Gaspipeshooter
17 September 2014, 05:40
Anyone have any experience with these? Trying to come up with an "affordable" silencer package. Short "want list" is a .22 LR dedicated unit, and either a unit to go back and forth between .223/5.56 and .308, or a dedicated .223/5.56 unit and a dedicated .308 unit. I'm so saturated with info from checking out all the different brands of cans I'm in complete overload...[crazy]

UWone77
17 September 2014, 16:18
How much are the Thompson suppressors?

If you're looking for a budget can, checkout Huntertown Arms. I've had good luck with their line of suppressors and they are affordable.

Gaspipeshooter
17 September 2014, 17:21
How much are the Thompson suppressors?

If you're looking for a budget can, checkout Huntertown Arms. I've had good luck with their line of suppressors and they are affordable.

THe .223/5.56 and .308 cans are $600 a piece. .22 LR can is $240-$325 depending on exactly which model. The same dealer has the Huntertown Kestrel for $375.

UWone77
17 September 2014, 17:26
I have a Huntertown Arms Guardian, very nice can for how much I paid. I've shot a buddy's Kestrel, and it's not too bad at all. Hard to go wrong with a $375 entry level can.

I like how Huntertown arms has the serialized part away from where you'd have a baffle strike.

One thing to remember, you're pretty much stuck with NFA items your entire life. Make the investment that is most sound for you.

Gaspipeshooter
17 September 2014, 17:48
I have a Huntertown Arms Guardian, very nice can for how much I paid. I've shot a buddy's Kestrel, and it's not too bad at all. Hard to go wrong with a $375 entry level can.

I like how Huntertown arms has the serialized part away from where you'd have a baffle strike.

One thing to remember, you're pretty much stuck with NFA items your entire life. Make the investment that is most sound for you.

I don't mind the "being stuck with NFA items for life part"; I figure if I'm doing the stamp deal, I plan on having it forever. When I was younger, I did the "buy/sell/swap/trade" deal all too often and regret all the guns I let get away...so a few years ago I decided if I wanted something bad enough to buy it, then I would keep it forever, (at least in theory). The Thompson Machine and Huntertown both are cleanable/serviceable, according to their websites. That idea is appealing to me, unless someone can convince me that silencers that can be disassembled and cleaned/serviced are a bad idea.

UWone77
17 September 2014, 18:05
Do you have any suppressors now? What calibers are you looking at?

Gaspipeshooter
17 September 2014, 18:46
I do not currently have any suppressors. But now that my NFA trust is done, I'm going to go on a tear...lol. I definitely want a .22 LR, and a .223/5.56. With the prices of the Huntertowns and Thompsons, I can see going for a .308 as well. Hell, maybe even a pistol silencer as well!

UWone77
18 September 2014, 09:32
I do not currently have any suppressors. But now that my NFA trust is done, I'm going to go on a tear...lol. I definitely want a .22 LR, and a .223/5.56. With the prices of the Huntertowns and Thompsons, I can see going for a .308 as well. Hell, maybe even a pistol silencer as well!

If I had to do it all over again, I would just own two cans. a 7.62 and a .22. That's what happens though when you're the guy in your immediate circle, who is the first one to buy a suppressor. You're the guinea pig.

Personal favorites:

AAC 762SDN6
AAC Element 2

Obviously they are both more than what you're looking to spend, but then again, you don't have to buy just 2 cans either. Interested to see how your journey goes when selecting and finally getting to shoot these!

Ride4frnt
18 September 2014, 09:55
When I get my trust here in a few months. I'm SBR'ing a rifle first, and second I'm buying a suppressor. As UW said, it's something you'll have for life, so I'm either going with a specwar 762 (possibly a saker) or 762sdn6

Gaspipeshooter
18 September 2014, 17:56
Well, I visited the 'Silencer Fairy" today and spent about an hour fondling numerous cans. UWone77, I came to the conclusion that I may start with a .22 can and a nice 7.62/.308 can, along the lines of your comments. I checked out the Gemtech G5-22, and I think that's the one I am going with for .22 LR. In the 7.62/.308 cans, I checked out the Gemtech Quicksand and Sandstorm in Titanium, and the YHM 4300-TI. After talking to an expert, I can see the advantages of starting with the "big" can and picking up a 5.56/.223 can down the road if I still feel the urge...

voodoo_man
19 September 2014, 02:15
Any input on the Liberty Cans - Constitution ? I am thinking about grabbing one.

Gaspipeshooter
19 September 2014, 05:28
Any input on the Liberty Cans - Constitution ? I am thinking about grabbing one.

The guy I met with yesterday is not a fan of "take apart" cans. Personally, I see no reason to shy away from them; I think I'm smart enough to not put one back together incorrectly. But I suppose there are less intelligent folks out there who could put one back together wrong and blow it up. Seems that most of the "take apart" cans are from companies relatively new to the silencer market "who haven't learned their lesson yet", according to the guy I talked to.

UWone77
19 September 2014, 11:36
The guy I met with yesterday is not a fan of "take apart" cans. Personally, I see no reason to shy away from them; I think I'm smart enough to not put one back together incorrectly. But I suppose there are less intelligent folks out there who could put one back together wrong and blow it up. Seems that most of the "take apart" cans are from companies relatively new to the silencer market "who haven't learned their lesson yet", according to the guy I talked to.

I'm not convinced from what I've seen a centerfire suppressor should be take-apart. .22lr, pistol calibers? Sure, but the high pressures of a centerfire round? I'll take my sealed cans.

Jerry R
20 September 2014, 05:47
I have a Thompson Machine Poseidon ($399) for the .45 ACP and have been very pleased with it. Have not had a chance to formally "review" it, but a good can for the money spent. Mine is the older style end cap, but completely user serviceable.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/NFA%20Pictures/Thompson-Machine%20Poseidon%2045%20Suppressor/IMG_2527SigwithPoseidonSize1024_zpse3d3a9a6.jpg

Sak007
20 September 2014, 07:59
My buddy has a Thompson Machine Operative C and that thing is something else . The first time i fired it i thought its misfired it was so quite . I'm contemplating getting there integrally suppressed 10/22 take down . My buddy's rifle has the PWS T3 action on it this a stock picture.
http://www.thompsonmachine.net/img/wp/OPC.jpg

voodoo_man
21 September 2014, 08:42
I have a Thompson Machine Poseidon ($399) for the .45 ACP and have been very pleased with it. Have not had a chance to formally "review" it, but a good can for the money spent. Mine is the older style end cap, but completely user serviceable.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/NFA%20Pictures/Thompson-Machine%20Poseidon%2045%20Suppressor/IMG_2527SigwithPoseidonSize1024_zpse3d3a9a6.jpg

how many rounds do you get for how much water load?