PDA

View Full Version : DutyUse's Noveske Project

DutyUse
17 September 2014, 15:23
Well I guess it's official...I'm totally and incurably addicted to these things!

I've been wanting to start a new one of a kind build for awhile now, and it looks like the project is beginning to take shape. I had several boxes waiting for me when I got home from work.

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/IMG_0737_zps8fb53df5.jpg

Noveske sent their 13.5" NSR rail & their raptor branded CH.
BCM sent their 14.5" CHF LW middy barrel & lo-pro gasblock
Spikes sent their ST-T2 buffer & melonited middy gas tube (spring will be replaced by a sprinco)
Also received the VLTOR MUR upper, the Impact weapons QD endplate and finally the Lantac Dragon.

Arriving this week also will be the B5 stock, UCWRG lpk, also their grip 23 and one of their new Gen 2 BCG, along with a Geissele SSA-E and a Noveske 60 degree safety selector.

I have two PSA "stealth" lowers shipping to my FFL that I was going to have custom 3D engraved, but after talking with Jason from AB Arms (http://abarms.com/default.asp) we might just have him do a one off lower which would give us more freedom for design then simply engraving one of these PSA's.

Still debating whether I want to go with "Tungsten" or "Burnt Bronze" for the lower, upper and rail color with black furniture.

Anyway thanks for looking, and I'll continue to update as things progress [:D]

Ride4frnt
17 September 2014, 16:02
I have a burnt bronze rifle, and soon I'll have a tungsten pistol, so I have no opinion on which color. Looks like a nice little stick you've got started!

Dstrbdmedic167
17 September 2014, 16:16
Sweet looking start there. Top notch!. I have a burnt bronze pistol but no tungsten(yet) you could always do a custom color mix to come up with a unique color to your liking.

WHSmithIV
17 September 2014, 16:17
Nice parts! I don't know if I'll do much for color with what I'll build from my stripped lower. I'd like to, but it just might not be in the cards.

DutyUse
17 September 2014, 16:39
Thank you for the kind words guys, if the lower turns out like I'm hoping it should take this build to the next level. Think battle arms new 3D rollmark but with a special logo [:D]

camomike
17 September 2014, 16:40
Great pile of parts you got there. Should turn out great. It always amazes me how fast people can part a rifle together. Mine always seem to take months. As for color, like suggested why not both. Burnt Bronze tiger stripe over tungsten might look sharp. But then again I'm color blind so take that as you will. [BD]

okdonk
17 September 2014, 17:11
From the parts listed alone.. got me drooled. Can't wait for the completed looks.
Tungsten.. or the Disruptive Grey will be nice.

Gaspipeshooter
17 September 2014, 17:14
My response to this build is... [adore]

DutyUse
18 September 2014, 14:04
Why yes I will sign for these Mr. Fedex Man [:D]

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/IMG_0775_zps78b4b928.jpg

UCWRG Gen 2 BCG & Grip 23
Noveske QD mount, takedown pins, and also 60 degree single sided safety
Seekins Precision magazine release button
Geissele SSA-E Trigger

I'll never get close to the incredible photos UWone77's has already taken of it, but this bolt carrier group is so nice I had to try.

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/IMG_0780_zps541a2fb1.jpg

I almost wish I had ordered the Geissele SD-E (http://geissele.com/super-dynamic-enhanced-trigger.html)instead just to give it a more custom look. However I'm sure I will get over it somehow. :rolleyes:

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/IMG_0786_zpscd1bac9a.jpg

As soon as my UCWRG LPK is delivered I’m going to send both grip 23’s to a certain stipple master on the forum so he can add his magic to the project.

Only parts left to order are the Rainer Arms trigger guard, the Seekins bolt catch, the Sprinco “blue” spring, and finally a set of BUIS.

Originally I had planned on doing a mostly Noveske build, so I’m not quite sure if these branded take-down pins are going to fit the style of this build, should I replace them.. what say ye?

GaSwamper
18 September 2014, 14:09
Very nice collection of parts you have there. Hard to go wrong with either color, ive really been liking the burnt bronze though. The only solution, a rifle in each color.

DutyUse
18 September 2014, 14:22
Very nice collection of parts you have there. Hard to go wrong with either color, ive really been liking the burnt bronze though. The only solution, a rifle in each color.

Now that's the spirit! Unfortunately it's just not in the cards at the moment, my wife is 7 months pregnant with my son Colt and I'm already testing her patience with this build. She normally loves doing these projects with me and she has told me she wants to build a "pistol" just for her, but with 2 kids and 4 dogs it puts a damper on the gun budget..

WHSmithIV
18 September 2014, 14:59
I'm just jealous. I can't afford those kinds of parts - the detriments of being self employed in a small population area. :(

On the other hand though, I can just go outside my front door and shoot at the tree stump in my yard and nobody cares + it's perfectly legal for me to do so.

DutyUse
18 September 2014, 15:02
I'm just jealous. I can't afford those kinds of parts - the detriments of being self employed in a small population area. :(

That's what credit cards are for! Just kidding. We live in a small farm town aswell, we just make firearms a priority because that's what we enjoy doing with friends on a Friday night. We might be eating ramen noodles but we've got ammo ;)

Dstrbdmedic167
18 September 2014, 15:56
We might be eating ramen noodles but we've got ammo

That's my new slogan in life!!

WHSmithIV
18 September 2014, 17:52
That's what credit cards are for! Just kidding. We live in a small farm town aswell, we just make firearms a priority because that's what we enjoy doing with friends on a Friday night. We might be eating ramen noodles but we've got ammo ;)

Yep, we might be eating whatever we can scrounge up from our shelves and pantry. Hunting a deer is less than 10 miles away though too. We harvest our two tags each year and believe me, I shoot the largest ones I find. Ammo and some guns we do have. It's staying that way too.

We don't go out shooting for fun though - that's just too much wasted ammo that we can't afford. If we did that we wouldn't even have ramen noodles - we'd just starve and die. For the last 2 months we've been eating the two lambs we raised for slaughter. Shot them, cleaned and butchered them and put the meat in the freezer. It will be at least 10 months more though before we have more lambs to slaughter. Our heard is very small and we lost 3 of the ewes.. 2 of them to predators, one to a birth complication. Not a good year for sure. I''m going to try to scrounge up an extra deer tag or two to make up the meat loss. Hunting season doesn't start for another month or so.

DutyUse
18 September 2014, 18:06
Yep, we might be eating whatever we can scrounge up from our shelves and pantry. Hunting a deer is less than 10 miles away though too. We harvest our two tags each year and believe me, I shoot the largest ones I find. Ammo and some guns we do have. It's staying that way too.

We don't go out shooting for fun though - that's just too much wasted ammo that we can't afford. If we did that we wouldn't even have ramen noodles - we'd just starve and die. For the last 2 months we've been eating the two lambs we raised for slaughter. Shot them, cleaned and butchered them and put the meat in the freezer. It will be at least 10 months more though before we have more lambs to slaughter. Our heard is very small and we lost 3 of the ewes.. 2 of them to predators, one to a birth complication. Not a good year for sure. I''m going to try to scrounge up an extra deer tag or two to make up the meat loss. Hunting season doesn't start for another month or so.

Someone who speaks my language! I still have a couple hind-quarters in the deep freeze. We eat venison atleast 1-2 a week at our house. I'm not sure where you live, but I know in Kentucky we sell the original 2 tags, then for 7$ more you can take another doe (or anterless buck) for 3 total per person. My wife and I got 5 total last season and are just now (almost a year later) getting to the end of it. We have a little bit of acreage on our property so we set up stands, food plots and trail cams early in the season. We have about 25 head of cattle and about a dozen chickens. I've processed my fair share of meat myself [:D]

PM if you want to continue conversation, trying to keep this thread about the build, but more then happy to talk to you about anything homestead/hunting related.

DutyUse
20 September 2014, 12:12
Quick update, trying to play around with different backgrounds in an attempt to mask my sucky photography...

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/IMG_0806_zpsdb299f19.jpg

UCWRG LPK

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/IMG_0807_zps834cb37c.jpg

B5 Systems Stock

browcs
20 September 2014, 18:38
Very nice collection of parts....this should be good.

DutyUse
20 September 2014, 21:27
Very nice collection of parts....this should be good.

It's much appreciated thank you. If I've learned anything over the years posting at all these forums it's you can have the best parts and still end up with a mediocre build. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed

UWone77
20 September 2014, 21:38
WHSmith, Just curious, do you just live off acreage and get the majority of your meat off of the land? If so, that's impressive.

WHSmithIV
20 September 2014, 23:00
WHSmith, Just curious, do you just live off acreage and get the majority of your meat off of the land? If so, that's impressive.

The majority of our meat we get from raising lambs for meat and from the hunting. We raised some meat rabbits also that I've slaughtered. I am the computer repair company in this this 2000 sq mile+ country but that isn't enough work to really survive. It manages to just pay the basic bills though. So, we raise lambs for additional profit and for our own meat. Our neighbor has chickens that lay more eggs than they can eat so she''s always dropping off extra eggs. We grow about a quarter acre of produce in the summer. The summer grocery bill is almost zero. Our monthly average grocery bill isn't more than around $80 a month. We'd raise some cattle if we had more acreage but our land is too small for that. Perhaps in the future though since there are land parcels in the 10 acre range close by for sale. Our vast majority of meat is what we raise and what we can hunt. We have to rebuild the sheep herd though now.

Sure wish I could afford those kinds of parts to build a rifle. I built mine over a year and half with what I could find at the best prices. The rifle cost me $506 to build. The upper receiver and the butt stock kit were sent to me for free from on-line friends who had them just lying around. I've started a 7.62x39 build bot don't expect to have it completed for at least another 18 months - unless I win a lottery ticket (which is kind of hard to do since I don't buy them :) )

We live in the Big Lost River Valley of Idaho. Look for Arco Idaho on Google Earth and you'll see the area easily enough. Were about 6 miles north of Arco.

DutyUse
21 September 2014, 00:15
The summer grocery bill is almost zero. Our monthly average grocery bill isn't more than around $80 a month.

Wow that's quite impressive! My wife and I put in a tremendous amount of work trying to be self sufficient but we're still no where near your grocery total, though we are getting closer. What kinds of produce are you growing? If you ever need some non-gmo heirloom seeds for your garden please feel free to PM me. I tried raising the rabbits aswell, but my wife and daughter would get so attached that we ended up with pets instead of food, so needless to say I quit putting energy into that one. There are many more seasons available then deer if you have the time and are after low-priced/high quality food. I'm not familiar with Idaho's game laws, but in Kentucky you can get a sportsman's license for 95$ that covers the entire gamut of legal game for the year (in season of course) from deer, elk, turkey, fishing & small game which is a tremendous savings over buying each permit separately and much less then buying meat from the grocery. Just please make sure your hunting in season, I'd hate to hear about you getting a hefty fine...

I truly wish your family the best, if there's anything I can do please feel free to contact me.

WHSmithIV
21 September 2014, 00:41
Wow that's quite impressive! My wife and I put in a tremendous amount of work trying to be self sufficient but we're still no where near your grocery total, though we are getting closer. What kinds of produce are you growing? If you ever need some non-gmo heirloom seeds for your garden please feel free to PM me. I tried raising the rabbits aswell, but my wife and daughter would get so attached that we ended up with pets instead of food, so needless to say I quit putting energy into that one. There are many more seasons available then deer if you have the time and are after low-priced/high quality food. I'm not familiar with Idaho's game laws, but in Kentucky you can get a sportsman's license for 95$ that covers the entire gamut of legal game for the year (in season of course) from deer, elk, turkey, fishing & small game which is a tremendous savings over buying each permit separately and much less then buying meat from the grocery. Just please make sure your hunting in season, I'd hate to hear about you getting a hefty fine...

I truly wish your family the best, if there's anything I can do please feel free to contact me.

The hunting license here is $12. The only food animals that require tags are deer, elk and mountain goat. I do only hunt in season. No permits are required for game birds other than the annual $12 license. No license is required at all to shoot wild rabbits. We don't get attached to the rabbits we raise. We do tend to give them names though. The last two were Stew and Filet :)

As far as what we grow, we grow spinach, green beans, peas, lettuce, sometimes we manage to get tomatoes to succeed, lots of potatoes, cucumber, radishes, carrots, bell peppers, cucumber and corn. We don't can food, we freeze it just because it's easier and even with the extra freezer outside our electric bill runs about $85 a month average. That's because in the winter we supplement the wood stove heat with electric heat when we go to sleep at night. There is only my wife and I though so that's why our food bills are so low. If I slaughter 4 lambs and harvest 2 decent size deer then we have 8 months or more of meat. Supplement that with rabbit either raised or hunted and the only meat we buy is some occasional beef, pork or chicken. Some of my customers also pay me with beef and salmon. One of the really wealthy old guys in the valley darn near bleeds if he has to write a $25 check to pay for a house call but he'll happily hand me $80 worth of frozen salmon filets instead.

Any seeds you'd like to send are always more than welcome. Most of our summer grocery bill is actually the seeds. The first year I grew corn we had 400 stalks. That was too much. 1/4 of an acre can grow a LOT for just two people. We could plant an acre but water would be difficult for it. Irrigation water has been non-existent all summer. All the water for what we grew had to come from our well. This area has been in pretty serious drought now for all the 3 years we've been here and, apparently for the last 5 years in a row. The river is as dry as a bone.

Tried some watermelon a couple years ago - they grew to be about the size of baseballs ....... then the autumn cold set in. We're over a mile high here.

Soisauss
21 September 2014, 20:34
Quality build, I like it~!

Also, made respect for your ethics of survival! I'm pretty sure I'd last maybe a month or two in the wild being a city slicker....

WHSmithIV
21 September 2014, 21:25
I'm looking forward to seeing some pics and a range report from the finished product with those parts :) I like that B5 Systems stock too. if I end up going over pistol length for the 7.62x39 I'm likely to use one of those stocks.

DutyUse
22 September 2014, 08:30
Just went and picked this up. Still not sure which direction AB arms wants to go however...

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/IMG_0840_zps71ee23ef.jpg

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/IMG_0841_zps4b4ebaad.jpg

UWone77
22 September 2014, 08:39
The hunting license here is $12. The only food animals that require tags are deer, elk and mountain goat. I do only hunt in season. No permits are required for game birds other than the annual $12 license. No license is required at all to shoot wild rabbits. We don't get attached to the rabbits we raise. We do tend to give them names though. The last two were Stew and Filet :)

As far as what we grow, we grow spinach, green beans, peas, lettuce, sometimes we manage to get tomatoes to succeed, lots of potatoes, cucumber, radishes, carrots, bell peppers, cucumber and corn. We don't can food, we freeze it just because it's easier and even with the extra freezer outside our electric bill runs about $85 a month average. That's because in the winter we supplement the wood stove heat with electric heat when we go to sleep at night. There is only my wife and I though so that's why our food bills are so low. If I slaughter 4 lambs and harvest 2 decent size deer then we have 8 months or more of meat. Supplement that with rabbit either raised or hunted and the only meat we buy is some occasional beef, pork or chicken. Some of my customers also pay me with beef and salmon. One of the really wealthy old guys in the valley darn near bleeds if he has to write a $25 check to pay for a house call but he'll happily hand me $80 worth of frozen salmon filets instead.

Any seeds you'd like to send are always more than welcome. Most of our summer grocery bill is actually the seeds. The first year I grew corn we had 400 stalks. That was too much. 1/4 of an acre can grow a LOT for just two people. We could plant an acre but water would be difficult for it. Irrigation water has been non-existent all summer. All the water for what we grew had to come from our well. This area has been in pretty serious drought now for all the 3 years we've been here and, apparently for the last 5 years in a row. The river is as dry as a bone.

Tried some watermelon a couple years ago - they grew to be about the size of baseballs ....... then the autumn cold set in. We're over a mile high here.

I'd love to see a thread dedicated to the way you live. That's impressive. How's the internet out there? Satellite? Phones?

DutyUse
19 January 2015, 14:27
Got the lower in today. Thru it together to see what needs changed before cerakote. Suggestions? http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/19/d0eeb704aeea4cef5930f2af6f306be4.jpg

mustangfreek
19 January 2015, 14:31
Ya , that grip wont match the cerakote, better send it my way......lol...

DutyUse
19 January 2015, 14:55
I think it needs a Giessele SDE instead of the Elftman..

The STR was suggested for stock, thinking thats a good idea. Also liking the battle link.

Still waiting for the V7 lw stuff to get here, mostly just their lower parts and their Gas Tube.

Oh and gost pointed out their BN looked awful lot like the NSR's… so i got them to send one too lol, just to try

Steeles
19 January 2015, 15:45
Ooh thats looking good man!

DutyUse
19 January 2015, 15:49
Ooh thats looking good man!

Thank you, long way off tho..

GOST
19 January 2015, 17:07
Let us know if the barrel nut fits.

DutyUse
19 January 2015, 17:10
Let us know if the barrel nut fits.

Certainly will. Tough to get though. Not on site for sale...

WHSmithIV
19 January 2015, 22:13
I'd love to see a thread dedicated to the way you live. That's impressive. How's the internet out there? Satellite? Phones?

We have DSL out here though the phone company. Apparently they started putting DSL in around here about 2 years before we moved here.

n4p226r
23 January 2015, 07:25
Someone who speaks my language! I still have a couple hind-quarters in the deep freeze. We eat venison atleast 1-2 a week at our house. I'm not sure where you live, but I know in Kentucky we sell the original 2 tags, then for 7$ more you can take another doe (or anterless buck) for 3 total per person. My wife and I got 5 total last season and are just now (almost a year later) getting to the end of it. We have a little bit of acreage on our property so we set up stands, food plots and trail cams early in the season. We have about 25 head of cattle and about a dozen chickens. I've processed my fair share of meat myself [:D]

PM if you want to continue conversation, trying to keep this thread about the build, but more then happy to talk to you about anything homestead/hunting related.

Coming from NJ everything you just posted sounds like make believe. And amazingly awesome at the same time.

DutyUse
23 January 2015, 07:49
Coming from NJ everything you just posted sounds like make believe. And amazingly awesome at the same time.

lol where do you think meat comes from at the supermarket? You poor yankees :D

The sad thing is compared to WHSmithIV my family lives a fairly modern, dare I say convenient laced lifestyle. Don't get the impression we don't goto Walmart often, or live in some handmade log cabin 100 miles from society. It's just more cost effective, and personally responsible/satisfying to know my wife and children are free from food that doesn't have GMO's, steroids, and loads of antibiotics in them.

n4p226r
23 January 2015, 11:11
I'm lucky enough to live in a part of NJ where I'm not too far from farm area and where we can get great local produce and meat. but yes, most of our food comes from my wife's weekly $150-$200 trips to whole foods or a local butcher. and I'm not a yankee. i consider myself a misplaced texan (even though I've lived in NJ since i was born) [:D]

CoxeyDiesel
23 January 2015, 19:50
I'm gonna suggest patriot brown or barret bronze for coloration. By far my favorite two colors.

DutyUse
24 January 2015, 07:03
I'm lucky enough to live in a part of NJ where I'm not too far from farm area and where we can get great local produce and meat. but yes, most of our food comes from my wife's weekly $150-$200 trips to whole foods or a local butcher. and I'm not a yankee. i consider myself a misplaced texan (even though I've lived in NJ since i was born) [:D]

I'm just teasing about the Yankee thing. I went to Highschool in Connecticut for 2 years so I don't have much room to talk. A lot of our food comes from Kroger aswell but my wife and I are particular about what we eat or feed our kids. Nothing like fresh eggs every morning :)

I'm gonna suggest patriot brown or barret bronze for coloration. By far my favorite two colors.

Thank you for the suggestion and following along. Still not 100% on color but I'm liking kryptek mandrake quite a bit, especially as more and more of my gear is that color.

DutyUse
28 February 2015, 13:00
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/28/5f2d3b16537aee1eb6d33be539931ecf.jpg

One step closer to completion :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slippers
28 February 2015, 14:16
I really like their upper receivers now, and how they blend into the NSR. Plus, the updated NSR is nice. They finally scalloped the edge of each Picatinny slot so they aren't so sharp.

Nice build you have! :)

GOST
28 February 2015, 15:21
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/28/5f2d3b16537aee1eb6d33be539931ecf.jpg

One step closer to completion :D

Is this going on the build that's getting Cerakoted Kryptek?

DutyUse
28 February 2015, 15:38
Is this going on the build that's getting Cerakoted Kryptek?

Yes sir. It was bugging me to not have a factory produced upper if I was going that far with the project.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/28/29d9382fcad3e271da79e0c5faaba031.jpg

The Lantac from the 14.5 is going on this 16", still needs a STR and Id like to replace the SSA-E with a flat single stage and then decide on a RDS. Pretty much in its final stage at this point though.

GOST
28 February 2015, 18:47
Very nice, FDE furniture would look good on it once it's been Cerakoted Kryptek Mandrake.

DutyUse
28 February 2015, 23:41
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/28/9eee8a452f0216f28f7b1dc6a5db7281.jpg

Fathom Arms Nitride BCG peaking through.

Very nice, FDE furniture would look good on it once it's been Cerakoted Kryptek Mandrake.

Thank you. As much as I love mandrake I think It wouldn't fit this project very well. Will probably go with a solid color.

But mandrake might look good on a BCM SBR ;)

GOST
1 March 2015, 08:55
Thought you said the Noveske was going to BDL to get coated in Krytek Mandrake?

DutyUse
1 March 2015, 13:29

It will still goto BDL, might not come back mandrake though.

DutyUse
1 March 2015, 18:53

Thinking your right Gost. I might need to break this project up into two separate builds.

A gen 3 build that stays the originally planned mandrake. And take the original upper and put it on the gen 2 lower. Hmm so where to find a gen 3 lower ;)

GaSwamper
1 March 2015, 19:15
Thinking your right Gost. I might need to break this project up into two separate builds.

A gen 3 build that stays the originally planned mandrake. And take the original upper and put it on the gen 2 lower. Hmm so where to find a gen 3 lower ;)

One just went for over $480 on gun broker, there's another there now that's at 360! AR15 EE has been having a few for a lot less but still out there.

DutyUse
1 March 2015, 21:45
One just went for over $480 on gun broker, there's another there now that's at 360! AR15 EE has been having a few for a lot less but still out there.

Thank you sir. I appreciate going out of your way to look for one. Reminds me why I love this community.

Hard to get your meaning out over text, at least for me personally, specifically sincerity or sarcasm. UW posted that JoeBob had them in stock for 319$ shipped. One should arrive hopefully this week to my local FFL.