PDA

View Full Version : OLd guns

WHSmithIV
18 September 2014, 21:10
This is to start a conversation about old guns, finding parts, know how etc. I do have some old guns that I have refurbished and I do have info on where to get parts for old guns and how to fix them.

Value of an older rifle or pistol is generally very subjective. Most old guns - like my .32 S&W top break, 5 shot, US Revolver Co. little revolver will never be worth much. Once in a while though a gem might turn up.

So, asking for value certainly is OK but be advised that not even a best guess value could ever be given without good clear pictures and as detailed information about the piece as possible.

Repair is a different can of worms. Finding parts can be difficult at best. I do know some places that are not so easy to find on the internet who do have old, original parts in good working order. It really depends on the gun and it's age though.

Figuring out or finding out how to take some old ones apart to fix them is very often a challenge in itself. Quite often there are no diagrams or instructions that can be found at all.

It would be good to have a topic I think for old guns. I have info I can put there and I can help with questions and some parts sources. One of the places i know you simply have to e-mail them to ask them if they possibly have that part.

Numrich lists tons of old parts, but doesn't usually have the one you need in stock. They do have some exploded diagrams that can help though anyway.

I do have lists and also manuals for old guns also. I have a DVD of hundreds of files. I'll happily look through and see if I have what can help someone if they have a specific gun they are asking about.

Pyzik
19 September 2014, 06:45
You reminded me, I need to get this old Ithaca I have purdied up and back to it's glory.

I was supposed to get it re-blued a while back get distracted by black rifles and plastic pistols.

KW900A
13 November 2014, 09:33
I have several pretty old guns, but by far my most prized is my D. Moore .32 rimfire revolver. Value varies, but to me it's priceless. There was one on pawn stars they bought for $6k (I know, I know) a couple of collectors I have spoken to put it somewhere in the $20k range. I have just looked in to it to satisfy curiosity, I really don't care if its worth $100 or $100,000. The gun is quite cool, and its the only one of its kind I have seen in person. My grandad gave it to me, and it belonged to his father. I have some pictures I can post, but this is a link to an identical gun, the wear is about the same even. Only difference is the serial obviously, and mine does not have a name engraved.

http://www.claytonbailey.com/momandad.htm