PDA

View Full Version : Ambi lower comparisons

cjd3
21 September 2014, 23:21
I'm working on my new build, and as a lefty, I'm looking at ambi lowers. I really like what Aero, Mega, and ATX have to offer. I've never laid hands on any one of these and wondering if you all have any experience with these. ATX looks to be the primo version, with the Mega being me top choice. Thanks for the help. And I'm sorry im a lefty.

UWone77
21 September 2014, 23:29
I'm working on my new build, and as a lefty, I'm looking at ambi lowers. I really like what Aero, Mega, and ATX have to offer. I've never laid hands on any one of these and wondering if you all have any experience with these. ATX looks to be the primo version, with the Mega being me top choice. Thanks for the help. And I'm sorry im a lefty.

Lefty here as well.

Are you looking for a fully ambi lower, or just a bolt release? Obviously if you pick a bolt release ambi lower like the Mega and install your own ambi mag release, you'll save a ton of money vs. the AXTS.

Have you looked at the San Tan Tactical STT-15?

cjd3
22 September 2014, 00:05
The Ambi bolt release is the main feature i'm looking for.. I've learned to drop the mag with my thumb. I'll take a look a the San Tactical.

okdonk
22 September 2014, 00:19
Holding my patience as i'm slowly saving for the AXTS. :(

Gaspipeshooter
22 September 2014, 05:31
The Ambi bolt release is the main feature i'm looking for.. I've learned to drop the mag with my thumb. I'll take a look a the San Tactical.

I have a couple of the Mega Arms billet Ambi sets and I think I will end up putting the Norgon Ambi mag release on both of them. I put a Norgon release in one of the lowers and have since switched it over to my pistol build, but I release the bolt with my left index finger, so the Norgon mag release lets me drop a mag and release the bolt with my trigger finger on the left hand. For me, the mag release on the left side of any receiver makes it "right" for a left hander...

Computalotapus
22 September 2014, 06:10
AXTS and SanTan Tactical. Are the two that I have been looking at. Actually thinking of doing a AXTS lower and using the SanTan upper as they look like they are made for each other on the outside. The sets mixed like this appear to pair up nicely as well.

bzdog
22 September 2014, 06:11
I'll just leave this here...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/22/a2u8y8yz.jpg

Gaspipeshooter
22 September 2014, 06:14
I'll just leave this here...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/22/a2u8y8yz.jpg

How about the other side for us lefties??? [:D]

bzdog
22 September 2014, 08:10
Sorry. Yah, give me a dayish.

-john

UWone77
22 September 2014, 08:11
The AXTS was once one of the only games in town. That's changed in the last few years. High costs and waiting lists. I think there are other viable options. If you want to spend that kind of money, I'd just get a KAC lower.

bzdog
22 September 2014, 09:19
FWIW, I think we should reward the folks that blazed the trail for the others.

YMMV.

-john

UWone77
22 September 2014, 10:53
FWIW, I think we should reward the folks that blazed the trail for the others.

YMMV.

-john

Following that logic, where is your ARMS SIR Rail? [:D]

KAC was on the scene before AXTS.

bzdog
22 September 2014, 11:21
*shrug*

Others have improved on the rail. I don't see the competitors being any better than the AX556.

-john

UWone77
22 September 2014, 14:16
*shrug*

Others have improved on the rail. I don't see the competitors being any better than the AX556.

-john

We can agree to disagree.

The AXTS is overpriced for what you get.

bzdog
22 September 2014, 19:06
I can understand not liking the price, but don't understand not liking what you get.

And, considering AFAIK, nobody matches the functionality (or did KAC add an integrated bolt *catch*?), so not sure how you can really quantify value.

In any case, it is nice to see others doing ambi.

I'll still try to grab some photos tomorrow, but MM has some photos as well as a write up:

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.uppers4.html#ax556

And besides, from the guys that brought you the Raptor.

-john

GOST
22 September 2014, 19:39
The AX556 is nice but very expensive, but so is the new billet Umbrella lower and the Noveske Gen 3. Considering price the the SanTan is maybe the best deal, the Mega and Rainier are a close second though once you throw in the price of a Norgon. But what do I know I'm a righty.

bzdog
22 September 2014, 19:54
I don't see any ambi features listed for the Noveske. Did I miss something.? Interesting, it looks like the Umbrella lower licenses the ADAC feature from AXTS like Rainier.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the only ambi feature I see listed on the Umbrella is the ADAC?

-john

specopsscout
22 September 2014, 20:40
POF has a right side bolt release, as well. I've owned a POF P308 Recon for about five years and it works well.
I'm also wrong handed, but after fourteen years of military service, and twenty plus in LE working on a traditional AR, I find myself defaulting to training and ignoring most of the ambi features on my ARs.

VIPER 237
22 September 2014, 20:59
Aero Precision Ambi Gen2 is the best value out there, it is compatible with the amazing BAD-ASS ST safety selector, and the right side lever releases and locks back the bolt. The AXTS is amazing, but I can build an Aero up with a Geissele SSA, and a Vltor A5 kit for the same amount as a stripped AXTS.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20140322_154045_zps4ee1348a.jpg

Another option is to purchase the PDQ lever and have a machinist mill out you lower of choice for it. I've done 2 for myself like this and so far it has worked flawlessly.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/spare-parts/ambidextrous-lever-for-lower-receiver.html

GOST
23 September 2014, 01:47
I don't see any ambi features listed for the Noveske. Did I miss something.? Interesting, it looks like the Umbrella lower licenses the ADAC feature from AXTS like Rainier.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the only ambi feature I see listed on the Umbrella is the ADAC?

-john
The Noveske and Umbrella were listed not for being ambi but for being high priced lowers with less features.

GOST
23 September 2014, 01:51
POF has a right side bolt release, as well. I've owned a POF P308 Recon for about five years and it works well.
I'm also wrong handed, but after fourteen years of military service, and twenty plus in LE working on a traditional AR, I find myself defaulting to training and ignoring most of the ambi features on my ARs.

One of my southpaw friends says the same. The only ambi features I've seen him purchase are selectors and battery assist levers.

titanse05
23 September 2014, 08:47
I found that I was asking myself the same question earlier this year and ended up deciding on the AXTS AX556. IMHO it is worth the asking price. It truly needs to be handled to be fully appreciated. I waited two months for mine and took delivery in June of this year. Currently they are in stock and ready to ship.

The ergonomics of the controls on both sides of the receiver are what sets the AX556 apart from the rest. Examples being that the left side mag release is easier to depress than say a Norgon (which I have on a Rainier Arms RUC) and the right side bolt release is slightly angled and towards the rear. Again these things can't be appreciated until put into use. Keep in mind that I'm a righty that shoots both left and right handed. I just appreciate ambidextrous function.

Here is my build utilizing the AX556 with other carefully selected high quality parts.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee318/titanse05/Gun%20stuff/20140818_165523_zpsmx4wsuft.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee318/titanse05/Gun%20stuff/20140818_165503_zpsteddqaoz.jpg

rob_s
23 September 2014, 09:35
I have both models of the AXTS, and I've spent some time with the KAC guns.

As a right-handed shooter I really don't get the point, like, at all, of the ambi craze. I guess it just comes from the type of shooting I do not benefiting, and knowing several lefties that shoot with us that don't do much of anything to modify their guns to their affliction. Of course, I think the whole "lateral transition" thing is way over-done too, so there is that.

What do the AXTS lowers retail for? I have one of the forged with just the bolt-hold function and one of the billet like is pictured in post #22. What do some of the other options sell for?

Thompson
23 September 2014, 11:26
As a right-handed shooter I really don't get the point, like, at all, of the ambi craze. I guess it just comes from the type of shooting I do not benefiting, and knowing several lefties that shoot with us that don't do much of anything to modify their guns to their affliction. Of course, I think the whole "lateral transition" thing is way over-done too, so there is that.

What do the AXTS lowers retail for?
I think it stems from the idea of a SHTF scenario in which, for one reason or another, you can no longer use your dominant shooting hand - requiring to use your other side for fire controls.

According to the website, it runs for $429.99.

Curious - is there much of a difference between STT-15 and the AXTS lower? It doesn't seem like there's that much, to justify the $100'ish price difference.

bzdog
23 September 2014, 12:19
What do the AXTS lowers retail for? I have one of the forged with just the bolt-hold function

That sounds like the ADAC model which AXTS no longer sells, however they are licensing that feature to Rainier and Umbrella, so you could check prices on those.

and one of the billet like is pictured in post #22. What do some of the other options sell for?

This sounds like the current AX556 which is $430 as noted by Thompson, above.

-john

bzdog
23 September 2014, 12:22
Curious - is there much of a difference between STT-15 and the AXTS lower? It doesn't seem like there's that much, to justify the $100'ish price difference.

If I understand correctly, they offer similar functionality except I don't think the San Tan has the bolt *catch* functionality.

As far as quality, dunno how the San Tan rates. Looks like it's priced at $290, so $140 delta.

Yah, if you don't mind losing the bolt catch, there are several options to choose from.

If you want the bolt catch, there are a couple options.

If you want both, I think the AX556 is the only game in town AFAIK.

-john

rob_s
23 September 2014, 13:18
I believe the mag-release-bolt-catch is what AXTS patented, so only those lowers and those that they licensed should have that feature, I would think.

rob_s
23 September 2014, 13:21
I think it stems from the idea of a SHTF scenario in which, for one reason or another, you can no longer use your dominant shooting hand - requiring to use your other side for fire controls.

I understand the theory, I don't buy the concept. I can shoot a legacy gun one-handed with my left hand just fine. I think this is all largely snake-oil.

My favorite is the guys that can't hit the broad side of a barn in under 72 hours STRONG SIDE that want to work lateral transitions.

Wondering Beard
23 September 2014, 14:01
For me, since I shoot lefty, it's about making things easier.

I can manipulate the regular safety with my index finger just fine, but doing it with my thumb is easier.

Re.the bolt lock/release, I can reach it with my index finger, so having that part be ambi makes no difference to me and I fear it adds a button on the inboard side that could be accidentally tripped.

An ambi mag release that is as protected as the right sided one, is what I really want. Is it a must have part? no, but I really wish I didn't have to do these extra movements to put in a new mag.

Thompson
23 September 2014, 16:49
If I understand correctly, they offer similar functionality except I don't think the San Tan has the bolt *catch* functionality.
Oh .... I never even thought of that. My mind skipped over the bolt catch/release.

bzdog
23 September 2014, 18:08
I understand the theory, I don't buy the concept. I can shoot a legacy gun one-handed with my left hand just fine. I think this is all largely snake-oil.

My favorite is the guys that can't hit the broad side of a barn in under 72 hours STRONG SIDE that want to work lateral transitions.

Why so fuddie duddie? Just because something isn't necessary doesn't mean it isn't good.

I like the ambi controls on the HK handguns. Are they needed? Clearly not. But to me, it all feels natural.

The AX556 is like that for the AR. Ditto the Raptor and BAD-ASS.

To me, it just feels right. Does it make me a better shooter.. dunno. Probably a bit, but probably not a huge amount. Do I care? Nope.

-john

Ride4frnt
23 September 2014, 18:21
Anyone looked into the new Spikes Gen2 billet lower? Looks interesting.

GOST
23 September 2014, 20:58
Anyone looked into the new Spikes Gen2 billet lower? Looks interesting.

You found the lower that cost more than the AX556, $450.[BD]

http://www.primaryarms.com/Spikes_Tactical_Billet_Lower_Gen_2_p/stlb200.htm

Ride4frnt
23 September 2014, 21:09
You found the lower that cost more than the AX556, $450.[BD]

http://www.primaryarms.com/Spikes_Tactical_Billet_Lower_Gen_2_p/stlb200.htm

But it comes with titanium takedown pins and some KNS pins!!! (Sarcasm)

cjd3
24 September 2014, 00:36
Nice info, thanks a lot. I think I'm moving toward the STT-15 (Grenade - i recon it will look like it's been broken in, who needs a safe queen anyhow) now. This will be mated with my Stag Lefty upper, but then probably, I'll buy another upper to fully build. But first, I think a new trigger is more important.

bzdog
24 September 2014, 06:34
AXTS and SanTan Tactical. Are the two that I have been looking at. Actually thinking of doing a AXTS lower and using the SanTan upper as they look like they are made for each other on the outside. The sets mixed like this appear to pair up nicely as well.

I think there is a possibility that those two might look a bit "busy" together. I guess the only way to know is to try it.

-john

rob_s
24 September 2014, 06:48
Why so fuddie duddie? Just because something isn't necessary doesn't mean it isn't good.

Understood.

In this case, it's neither.

Likewise, different isn't better, better is better.

bzdog
24 September 2014, 06:53
OK. Everyone get out of this thread. You are misguided in your interest. Move along. Nothing to see here.

:-)

-john

Thompson
24 September 2014, 10:52
I think I'm moving toward the STT-15 (Grenade - i recon it will look like it's been broken in, who needs a safe queen anyhow) now.
Well, from my understanding, "blem" lowers such as these don't really have that may cosmetic issues without specifically looking for any scratches/dings. From what I've heard other people say, is that said "blems" have anything barely even noticeable.

Lolife
24 September 2014, 19:53
I went with the San-Tan Tactical SST-15 and have no regrets, even though it is on the pricy side. http://http://flic.kr/p/pnG9jF

UWone77
25 September 2014, 12:17
I've owned a lot of ambi lowers. I own 2 KAC's, 3 Mega's, 2 San Tan's, and some others. I used to own a AX556. (sold it to a buddy when there was a long waiting list and he was dying for one)

Now, the AX556 as mentioned is $429.99. For that price, you get a good looking lower receiver, but is it $130 better than the San Tan? Not in my opinion.

I've been shooting the AR platform for so long, left handed, it actually screws me up when using ambi mag releases. Even my duty setup only utilizes an ambi safety, the BAD-CASS. I find that I have to retrain myself to use the ambi features.

If you like the looks of the AX556 and think it's worth your $429.99. Have at it. Personally, I think a forged lower with a Norgon, and a BAD-ASS works well for a lefty.

Tyrannosaur
25 September 2014, 17:09
Hey guys first post. Not to throw a wrench into the gears but have you looked into the LWRC ambi lower? They are complete but not sold alone by LWRC. Some companies separate the lowers and uppers. Check modern Outfitters if your interested.