PDA

View Full Version : 300 BLK 9"? Melonite?

MO_AR
25 September 2014, 20:18
I'm wanting a 9" melonite or similar "coated" barrel but can't believe AAC is the only option. Any suggestions? I'm really kinda hung up on 9" so to pick another length would just be uncivilized. I'm a believer that AAC makes high quality parts but the price seems a bit steep @ $425. Maybe I can get a barrel and have it sent off to be coated. What does that cost and who is "DA man" to send it too that is reputable? Thanks

Dstrbdmedic167
29 September 2014, 08:13
I'm sure there are several options out there but i recently purchased a barrel from mad dog weapon systems... 9" 300 blk barrel make by Mcgowan. It is bead blasted finish but it is also fluted and only $154 shipped

six8
29 September 2014, 11:54
I'm sure there are several options out there but i recently purchased a barrel from mad dog weapon systems... 9" 300 blk barrel make by Mcgowan. It is bead blasted finish but it is also fluted and only $154 shipped
Have you run it yet?

Dstrbdmedic167
29 September 2014, 11:56
Not yet it arrives today but it'll still be a few weeks or so before I get to... I've still got to file the form 1... This is the first build I'm not going to rush... Although I have used a McGowan barrel before and they're are GTG

FortTom
29 September 2014, 12:12
Voodoo Arms makes a full array of Melonited barrels, but unfortunately they only sell the .300 in 14.5. Two things though, you could contact them about cutting you a 9" barrel, or send one out and have it melonited.
I've got their 16" ultra light "voodoo" barrel on my "voodoo" gun, and the finish was second to none, especially for a barrel that you can only see about 1" of. However, I'm pretty secure in the fact that the finish will be durable and intact for a long time to come. Give them a call, maybe they can hook you up with someone that does their Meloniting. Some companies are cool like that.

WHSmithIV
29 September 2014, 13:44
9" barrels are far and few between. 7.5", 8" and 10.5" are pretty easy to find at good prices. Advanced Armament Corp makes a nitrided 9" barrel but it's $425. (Keep in mind that nitride and melonite are the same process). I just went through all my list of good price barrel companies and they don't have 9" barrels. Are you so dead set on that exact length? You'd gut just a tad more velocity for a 10.5" barrel and you'd guarantee that all the powder will have burned. .300 Blackout is designed to burn all the poser in 9" but that extra 1.5" can't hurt.

Sending off a barrel to be nitrided won't be that easy. The chemicals used for nitriding are a bit nasty so only certain companies have the infrastructure. However, some of the barrel manufacturers might do it for you. You'd have to ask them. Green Mountain barrels might be able to arrange it. They might also cut down a barrel for you to 9". It can't hurt to ask them and even if they did it for you it probably wouldn't be $425. CBC Industries, Sota Arms and Faxon Firearms would also be some companies to check.

six8
29 September 2014, 16:29
Not yet it arrives today but it'll still be a few weeks or so before I get to... I've still got to file the form 1... This is the first build I'm not going to rush... Although I have used a McGowan barrel before and they're are GTG
I may pick one up. I see Mad Dog carries ARP bbls as well. Good stuff

Dstrbdmedic167
29 September 2014, 16:31
I may pick one up. I see Mad Dog carries ARP bbls as well. Good stuff

He does! I have yet to get anything that isn't top notch from him. He's gotten a few paychecks from me thats for sure! Prices include shipping and if you spend $200 you can use the code "AMERICA" and save 10%

Also those that don't know he is in the drawing as well!

MO_AR
30 September 2014, 19:39
I just saw that barrel only recently. I guess since I have an SS barrel on my 5.56 I was hoping for Black on the Blackout. Glad to know MadDog is GTG though.

MO_AR
30 September 2014, 20:10
Voodoo Arms makes a full array of Melonited barrels, but unfortunately they only sell the .300 in 14.5. Two things though, you could contact them about cutting you a 9" barrel, or send one out and have it melonited.
I've got their 16" ultra light "voodoo" barrel on my "voodoo" gun, and the finish was second to none, especially for a barrel that you can only see about 1" of. However, I'm pretty secure in the fact that the finish will be durable and intact for a long time to come. Give them a call, maybe they can hook you up with someone that does their Meloniting. Some companies are cool like that.

Cool thanks for the info!

MO_AR
1 October 2014, 19:34
9" barrels are far and few between. 7.5", 8" and 10.5" are pretty easy to find at good prices. Advanced Armament Corp makes a nitrided 9" barrel but it's $425. (Keep in mind that nitride and melonite are the same process). I just went through all my list of good price barrel companies and they don't have 9" barrels. Are you so dead set on that exact length? You'd gut just a tad more velocity for a 10.5" barrel and you'd guarantee that all the powder will have burned. .300 Blackout is designed to burn all the poser in 9" but that extra 1.5" can't hurt.

Sending off a barrel to be nitrided won't be that easy. The chemicals used for nitriding are a bit nasty so only certain companies have the infrastructure. However, some of the barrel manufacturers might do it for you. You'd have to ask them. Green Mountain barrels might be able to arrange it. They might also cut down a barrel for you to 9". It can't hurt to ask them and even if they did it for you it probably wouldn't be $425. CBC Industries, Sota Arms and Faxon Firearms would also be some companies to check.

i guess i should say I'm planning on a supressor so overall length after suppressor may be a sticking point for 9". iI'd like to keep overall barrel+supp. < 18", prefer < 16". Then again, how long is a good supressor that can quiet the 300 Blk?

GOST
1 October 2014, 20:23
If your wanting to use a suppressor and keep the length short you may want to check out OSS.

http://www.oss-online.com/

WHSmithIV
1 October 2014, 20:48
i guess i should say I'm planning on a supressor so overall length after suppressor may be a sticking point for 9". iI'd like to keep overall barrel+supp. < 18", prefer < 16". Then again, how long is a good supressor that can quiet the 300 Blk?

Going with a suppressor you could drop down to an 8 or 8.5" barrel. That loss of an extra ½" to 1" wouldn't make any difference with the small amount of powder burn loss since it would burn out totally in the suppressor anyway long before the bullet left the suppressor.

GOST
3 October 2014, 09:18
Dstrbdmedic167 is trying this barrel.

http://www.maddogweapons.com/store/p203/300BLK_9%22_Stainless_Fluted_Pistol_Barrel.html

I know it's not melonited but I don't know if there is benefit to meloniting a 300 BO barrel due to lower velocity. Here's his thread.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?6365-Rainier-Arms-billet-AR-15-build&p=64895#post64895

MO_AR
3 October 2014, 22:35
Thanks for the Great feedback. OSS looks great for my application. Really tempted by the Mad Dog barrel. Hmm, wonder if melonite would have any benefit
when a supressor is used? Does a barrel get any dirtier when supp'ed?

WHSmithIV
4 October 2014, 01:47
Thanks for the Great feedback. OSS looks great for my application. Really tempted by the Mad Dog barrel. Hmm, wonder if melonite would have any benefit
when a supressor is used? Does a barrel get any dirtier when supp'ed?

Melonite or nitride coated barrels simply last longer. The process changes the surface molecules of the metal providing for a harder longer lasting finish. Nitrided or melonited barrels (the same process really) last more rounds than even chrome lined barrels.

MO_AR
4 October 2014, 09:12
I found something cool @ Ballistic Advantage. It's a .300 Blackout – 9.0″ Modern SPR profile. HERE (http://ballisticadvantagellc.com/?product=300-blackout-9-0-modern)

Anybody have any experience with this company? What little research I did seems to be on the up and up.

EDIT: Nevermind, I bought one with a QPQ low pro gas block and QPQ Pistol length gas tube. =) I'll be sure to post some pics and range reports. Range reports may be awhile since I'm still acquiring parts for the build.

Abiqua
15 October 2014, 06:07
Here's an 8" melonited barrel from KAK

http://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/upper-parts/barrels/300-blk/kak-300-blackout-8-inch-pistol-melonite-barrel