PDA

View Full Version : AR Pistol

jholthus
26 September 2014, 13:20
Getting ready to build an AR pistol and just want to make sure I have the right information from research. I am pretty comfortable with everything besides OAL. From what I gather, there is no law/regulation in place that limits the OAL? Confusing as some places say less than 26" from end of barrel (not muzzle device unless permanently mounted) to end of buffer tube. Others say it doesn't matter. Just want to figure this out before I decide on barrel length. Thinking of 10.5" which would put it over 26". Thanks for any help. I apologize if this has been asked, but I searched everywhere and couldn't find a no BS response.

TA7969
26 September 2014, 14:02
doesn't matter unless you want to run a VFG then you'll need to be over 26" OAL

jholthus
26 September 2014, 16:51
doesn't matter unless you want to run a VFG then you'll need to be over 26" OAL

Thanks. Im planning on a AFG so I should be good to go. I appreciate it.

tactical
26 September 2014, 18:33
In case you're shooting for over 26" OAL, you'll most likely need a longer buffer tube like a KAK Super Sig. My 10.5" pistol was under without it.

mustangfreek
27 September 2014, 04:02
In case you're shooting for over 26" OAL, you'll most likely need a longer buffer tube like a KAK Super Sig. My 10.5" pistol was under without it.

My recent 10.5" pistol build with a regular phase 5 tube and no brace is under 26"

Also the way i understand it is..... it is the length from the end of the gun to the end of the barrel threads...Maybe someone else can confirm or deny that info..

WHSmithIV
27 September 2014, 08:14
Michigan does have an overall length requirement that it is less than 26" At 26.01" Michigan classifies it as a SBR. Most states have no such requirement and there isn't in Federal regulations either. If tehre is no stock on it, then it isn't a SBR, it's a pistol.

Nathan_Mack
9 October 2014, 19:19
My recent 10.5" pistol build with a regular phase 5 tube and no brace is under 26"

Also the way i understand it is..... it is the length from the end of the gun to the end of the barrel threads...Maybe someone else can confirm or deny that info..

If the muzzle device is not permanently affixed, then yes. If pinned it is to the end of the muzzle device.

jholthus
6 December 2014, 20:35
Well I picked up a Areo stripped lower today. One thing I am unclear on (and forgot to ask).

When I bought it I didn't ask him to put it as other or pistol. So I don't know what it was put as. But the research I did says that they have to be "other". Either way I should be good correct? Since it has not been built as a rifle I am good to build it as a pistol?

WHSmithIV
6 December 2014, 21:18
It should have been transferred as 'other' so you can build it how you want it.

tirod
11 December 2014, 07:30
What the FFL puts on the form isn't a legal binding description. How it was shipped is, and what you build it into is.

You could buy a rifle, have it transferred as an "other" (incorrectly,) then build it into a pistol and receive no mercy when it is reviewed. 4473's aren't the issue, how it complies with law is.

The +/- of 26" may or may not be an issue in the specific state of residence, but it shouldn't be glossed over. A "pistol" isn't an "other." Be careful to understand the distinction in your local ordinances. We don't read about "concealed carry others" for a reason.

Kopis
12 December 2014, 13:00
Well I picked up a Areo stripped lower today. One thing I am unclear on (and forgot to ask).

When I bought it I didn't ask him to put it as other or pistol. So I don't know what it was put as. But the research I did says that they have to be "other". Either way I should be good correct? Since it has not been built as a rifle I am good to build it as a pistol?

It can't be transferred as rifle or pistol because it is neither. FFLs code it as "other".