PDA

View Full Version : Citadel compact 1911

BToronjo
29 September 2014, 08:12
I Citadel Compact 1911. When I fire it, the slide sticks open(less than a 1/4) and I have to push it forward to fire the next shot. It's a new gun. I've only taken it to the range once, thus far. I'm wondering, could this be caused by lack of lubrication or, is it more likely that I need a stiffer spring?

Peaks'n'Valleys
4 October 2014, 06:37
Could we get some more details? Does it do this regardless of which magazine you are using? Also does different ammo make a difference? Does the slide stick if you hand cycle the action with the magazine removed?

It can't hurt to field strip, clean, and oil the rails pretty generously. When my 1911 was brand new I dry fired mine a lot and the action noticeably became smoother as I did. Hopefully doing the same would help yours but I suspect your problem lies elsewhere.

My Uncle's 1911 experienced similar troubles. Failure to return to battery often is caused by your extractor being too tight. This was the case with my uncle's 1911. After a little tweaking of his extractor tension it now cycles all types of ammunition without problems.

Wilson Combat has a good write up on checking extractor tension:

http://blog.wilsoncombat.com/uncategorized/checking-the-extractor-tension-on-your-1911/

WHSmithIV
4 October 2014, 09:35
Are you using ball ammo? If not, you should at least to break it in. Sounds like your rounds may be getting hung up on the feed ramp and semi wad cutter rounds can do that. I could feel a glitch with them with my Citadel so I took the slide off and worked the feed ramps with a bit of 0000 steel wool for a while which polished them up really well. After that I didn't have any more hiccups with that ammo.

I doubt it's a magazine problem especially since you're probably using the factory mags that came with it. I have the 2 factory mags plus some 7 round old mags and my Citadel doesn't care what mag I put in it. It happily eats from all of them. After having polished the feed ramps I have yet to find ammo it doesn like either.

VIPER 237
4 October 2014, 09:40
1911's need to be ran wet, and they usually need to be broken in. I'd say use a good lube and go shoot a couple hundred rounds and see if that solved the issue.

WHSmithIV
4 October 2014, 09:46
1911's need to be ran wet, and they usually need to be broken in. I'd say use a good lube and go shoot a couple hundred rounds and see if that solved the issue.

And use ball ammo to do that with. That's what the owners manual recommends for it anyway.

BToronjo
4 October 2014, 10:26
The weapon has been Cerakoted also..... I am wondering if that could be causing it to hang up a little bit? Thoughts?

Peaks'n'Valleys
4 October 2014, 10:31
If the rails were cerakoted it is quite possible. I believe Nutnfancy cerakoted his 1911 rails and experienced similar problems.

BToronjo
4 October 2014, 10:38
They are and there appears to be some wear going on there. I tested the extractor tension and it seems to be correct, according to the video you shared. I think I will give it some time and a few more rounds and see if it corrects itself. Thanks for the help, Fellas!

WHSmithIV
4 October 2014, 13:22
Have you tried loading a full mag and simply manually cycling through it ejecting all the cartridges? Hang ups like you are describing you should be able to feel when racking the slide. That's the hiccup I felt with that ammo that had me polishing up the feed ramps of my Citadel (the one that is my avatar by the way).

BToronjo
5 October 2014, 03:21
I just tried manually cycling through a couple magazines. No hang ups. I'm going to go and run some rounds through it this morning and see if I still have the problem. I will report afterwards.

WHSmithIV
5 October 2014, 11:54
I just tried manually cycling through a couple magazines. No hang ups. I'm going to go and run some rounds through it this morning and see if I still have the problem. I will report afterwards.

Let us know if you still have problems. I'm sure we'll be able to help you get any problem sorted out and have the pistol functioning perfectly.

BToronjo
6 October 2014, 14:02
It was better yesterday. It think it is just a matter of breaking it in a little more and making sure it is good and lubed. I put another hundred rounds through it yesterday. Fun gun to shoot and, pretty darn accurate.

Peaks'n'Valleys
6 October 2014, 14:14
I know striker fired polymer pistols have taken center stage in the world of pistols and rightly so, but... I still love the 1911 platform. No pistol I have held has come close to feeling as good in the hand and I simply love the looks of a 1911.

BToronjo
6 October 2014, 16:49
I would have to whole heartedly agree with that statement.

GOST
6 October 2014, 21:09
If your still having problems with your frame to slide fit, I sometimes take a Sharpie to the rails and manually rack the slide a few times. The places that it rubbs off the Sharpie are your high points that are sticking. I then gently take a stone to those points and then some mag polish. Cerakoting will often harm a 1911's fit. The Cerakoter I use always refits the slide to frame after Cerakoting. I also polish out my feed ramps on all my 1911s as soon as I get them home. I recommend FP10 for lube, it's not bad priced and is extremely smooth.

BToronjo
7 October 2014, 16:02
Thank you very much for the advice, Sir. It is greatly appreciated. Also, Congratulations WHSmithIV!