PDA

View Full Version : Lefty AR-15

KW900A
4 October 2014, 11:56
Hey all, new here. Joined up for stick's giveaway and have been lurking around taking it all in. Lots of good people and info here.

I'm a little new to the AR-15 game, I've always been more focused on long range shooting, primarily with .308 and .338 lapua. My brother in law is a AR-15 buff and I have enjoyed getting to know his guns. Awhile back I won a DSA multi-caliber lower in a local raffle and have been wanting to build it. I shoot left handed as I am left eye dominant. I have spent my life fairly comfortable with right hand guns, but figure since I have a chance to build a gun for me, why not make it left handed? Who makes good left handed uppers, a local shop here told me stag makes some, which I have looked into. I was wondering if there were others and/or any pros and cons about them.

Sorry for the winded dissertation, but thanks for any advice/help!

Sak007
4 October 2014, 12:27
I also am curious if Stag is the only lefty maker . I'm waiting on a Saker 7.62 and have been wondering if i was gonna be running into gassing issues as I shoot lefty ?

GOST
4 October 2014, 12:46
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?6188-Coming-Soon-CMT-Tactical-Left-Handed-Uppers

Sak007
4 October 2014, 13:22
Now if I could find a tin or nib lefty bolt :(

VIPER 237
4 October 2014, 13:31
I'm lefty, and I cannot stand LH uppers. I had a stag and I hated it. There is no good reason to get one, and you are generally stuck with lesser quality components that cost more. All a lefty needs to do is make sure the upper has a brass deflector and then add an ambi charging handle. BCM is having one of the best sales ever on their uppers and their quality is some of the best in the industry, and I would run a BCM every time over the lefty upper available.

As far as gas to the face use the RTV silicone treatment and that will help immensely. Also 7.62 cans do not generate as much backpressure as 5.56 cans when shooting 5.56, my Girffin Armament Recce 7 is easy to shoot on my 5.56 rifles. Another option over the Saker is look at the OSS suppressors, they almost completely eliminate backpressure and gas to the face, I was amazed when I shot them.

And then the third option is to look at a piston rifle if you are going to run suppressed the majority of the time. I personally do not care for piston uppers but they do run better than DI gun suppressed and have less gas to the face. PWS would be my first choice, but you will spend more on a piston than a DI.

WHSmithIV
4 October 2014, 13:42
Spikes Tactical makes a left handed upper receiver AND a left handed BCG so that the cartridges will eject on the other side. For the rest you install ambidextrous controls in the lower reciever - ambi mag release (Troy makes one - so do a couple other companies), ambi safety, extended bolt catch release and an ambi charging handle. Bingo. Lefty AR :)

Sak007
4 October 2014, 20:00
I'm lefty, and I cannot stand LH uppers. I had a stag and I hated it. There is no good reason to get one, and you are generally stuck with lesser quality components that cost more. All a lefty needs to do is make sure the upper has a brass deflector and then add an ambi charging handle.This has been my hesitation on getting a lefty upper as I'm concerned about the quality of components compared to what I currently run , also Ive run regular rifles my entire life and it hasn't really been a problem and I've adapted but wouldn't mind trying a lefty if it was up to my snobbish standards ;)

KW900A
4 October 2014, 20:59
I too have questioned quality as well as the premium price you pay for 'specialty' parts. Like I said I am used to right handed guns, since its about all I have ever handled. At the very minimum I'm going with an ambi safety. It's annoying changing hands just to flick the safety on and off. But I do intend to have ambi parts throughout the lower.

I appreciate the input and will spend more time researching what you all said when I'm more awake. It seems every time I start looking into stuff I unearth more 'new' ideas and input. Possibilities are endless for sure...

cjd3
5 October 2014, 00:13
I'm a lefty, and my first AR was a Stag 2l+. I think Stag makes a pretty good product. I don't run it hard, but I've had no problems. When I was shopping around, it came between the Stag and the Rock River Lef-T. I chose the stag since I can replace just about everything, except the BCG and upper. I'm presently awaiting a San Tan Tactical STT-15 lower to get more left handed goodness, but it Will actually turn into a complete new build. I've been looking at alternative uppers, and am. It having much luck. Black Rain Ordinance made one, but I can't find it stock. All,of my other rifles are lefty Savages.

UWone77
5 October 2014, 11:36
As a lefty rifle shooter, I've never really had much interest in left handed uppers. The cons of this setup of course are the proprietary bolt, BCG, and upper. Normally, these parts are also a premium cost over standard uppers. The market is pretty limited as well. Other than Stag for the most part, not a lot of others are producing left handed uppers in quantity.

However, I do a lot of suppressed shooting, so less gas in the face is ALWAYS a challenge for the left handed rifle shooter. I still never showed much interest in the left hand upper platform, but I am a big CMT Tactical fan. When CMT announced they were producing a small batch of LH uppers around Mid-Nov my interest has been piqued.

If this was my only 1 or 2 uppers, I probably wouldn't get an upper that needed proprietary parts. If this is like your 4 or 5th or 100th, then yeah, nothing wrong with a fun build, customized for you.

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w654/richardkim0177/1902814_858787864140805_1777253434413743022_n_zpsd 2456bc9.jpg (http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/richardkim0177/media/1902814_858787864140805_1777253434413743022_n_zpsd 2456bc9.jpg.html)

WHSmithIV
5 October 2014, 11:44
+1 to what UWone so succinctly points out.

Sak007
5 October 2014, 12:01
What upper is that ?

VIPER 237
5 October 2014, 12:07
I too have questioned quality as well as the premium price you pay for 'specialty' parts. Like I said I am used to right handed guns, since its about all I have ever handled. At the very minimum I'm going with an ambi safety. It's annoying changing hands just to flick the safety on and off. But I do intend to have ambi parts throughout the lower.

I appreciate the input and will spend more time researching what you all said when I'm more awake. It seems every time I start looking into stuff I unearth more 'new' ideas and input. Possibilities are endless for sure...

I forgot to mention ambi parts on the lower. All of my rifles have a BAD-ASS ST ambi selector, a KAC ambi mag release, and I've had all except my KAC lower milled for the PDQ ambi bolt catch from Aero.

UWone77
5 October 2014, 12:10
What upper is that ?

CMT Tactical.

tb417
5 October 2014, 12:39
http://lefthandrifles.com/ I've never seen one of these, but they seem to have an impressive pedigree.

KW900A
5 October 2014, 13:13
As a lefty rifle shooter, I've never really had much interest in left handed uppers. The cons of this setup of course are the proprietary bolt, BCG, and upper. Normally, these parts are also a premium cost over standard uppers. The market is pretty limited as well. Other than Stag for the most part, not a lot of others are producing left handed uppers in quantity.

However, I do a lot of suppressed shooting, so less gas in the face is ALWAYS a challenge for the left handed rifle shooter. I still never showed much interest in the left hand upper platform, but I am a big CMT Tactical fan. When CMT announced they were producing a small batch of LH uppers around Mid-Nov my interest has been piqued.

If this was my only 1 or 2 uppers, I probably wouldn't get an upper that needed proprietary parts. If this is like your 4 or 5th or 100th, then yeah, nothing wrong with a fun build, customized for you.

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w654/richardkim0177/1902814_858787864140805_1777253434413743022_n_zpsd 2456bc9.jpg (http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/richardkim0177/media/1902814_858787864140805_1777253434413743022_n_zpsd 2456bc9.jpg.html)

I see what you mean. That's kind of the burning question- 'is it worth it'

I, like so many others it seems, are used to right handed guns. I have no issue whatsoever with a tried and true right handed build. Perhaps down the road a gun or two, I can play with the lefty idea. Bolt action rifles have always been 'my thing', if I'm gonna branch out it seems to make more sense to start down a well traveled road.

Thanks for the insight.

Now I have a newbie question, this 'gas in the face' that has been mentioned a couple of times. I don't recall having that bother me, or maybe I thought it was normal and didn't pay attention. Can someone elaborate on that?

Dstrbdmedic167
5 October 2014, 13:34
Now I have a newbie question, this 'gas in the face' that has been mentioned a couple of times. I don't recall having that bother me, or maybe I thought it was normal and didn't pay attention. Can someone elaborate on that?

When shooting suppressed it caused in increase in the amount of gas that is blowed back at the shooter. So the left handed shooter when shooting suppressed will get a face full of gas

KW900A
5 October 2014, 13:42
10/4 thank ya

Shamu415
5 October 2014, 16:47
As a left hand shooter I have to agree with UWone77 and could not be siad any better. I'll have to adopt to what I have. Same with handguns, but that's another discussion.

cjd3
5 October 2014, 17:13
For me, I think it's worth the premium price. It's only a few components, and the variety is increasing. If a market does develop, then more products may come forth. I already have a nicely working lefty upper from Stag. It will just require a noter slow build as the funds come available, and I will have what I want, with little compromise. And when the CMT comes available, I'm going to be in line. If it's going to be a limited run, I'll save and get that first.

UWone77
5 October 2014, 21:06
For me, I think it's worth the premium price. It's only a few components, and the variety is increasing. If a market does develop, then more products may come forth. I already have a nicely working lefty upper from Stag. It will just require a noter slow build as the funds come available, and I will have what I want, with little compromise. And when the CMT comes available, I'm going to be in line. If it's going to be a limited run, I'll save and get that first.

I really don't think the market is going to get too big for left handed uppers. You have to realize that such a small percentage of shooters are left handed. Believe me, I wish it would take off, as I would benefit, but I just don't see that happening. At least not anytime soon.

Gaspipeshooter
6 October 2014, 05:35
Does anyone know if CMT will be making their own left-handed BCGs??? Seems logical...