PDA

View Full Version : What medical kit/gear do you carry?

Ride4frnt
6 October 2014, 14:47
Recently I've been thinking about the desirability of carrying more med gear than the typical FAK I keep in my bag (band aids, gauze, etc.) There are a lot of options on the market, and I've been looking through them (most are out of stock, must be a hot item) What gear do you guys carry, and what gear do you find the most necessary to carry? Any specific kits you guys would recommend? Buy individual items and pack them into a medical pouch of my own?

DutyUse
6 October 2014, 15:53
I keep one of these kits (http://www.itstactical.com/store/medical/its-eta-trauma-kit-fatboy/) in my truck or range bag. I also added a SOFT T Tourniquet (http://www.amazon.com/Tac-Med-Solutions-SOFTT-W-Tourniquet/dp/B003YDSO1W)

Jmoto
6 October 2014, 17:27
I am using a med bag that I pieced together with the basics. Israeli bandage, quick clot, gauze, soft t TQ, etc.

I have realized that all of that means nothing if i don't know how to use it. Next year I will be taking the dark angel med class and also grabbing a couple of their kits.

FortTom
6 October 2014, 18:25
I use a kit for backpacking that was a partial kit from REI and some items I added. Not really a great option. I think about buying a new kit every now and then, but forget about it until the next time I rummage through my gear. Maybe I can get some ideas from this thread. I certainly don't need a $300 plus option that a trained medic or first responder would use, but a decent kit should be a part of my gear.

Computalotapus
6 October 2014, 18:45
http://www.darkangelmedical.com/ as they sponsor the local training guys here in Michigan

Dstrbdmedic167
6 October 2014, 19:03
As a medic I have no good excuse as to why I don't do something like this already. I can get the components for free... Laziness I guess... :sigh: next project underway...

Ride4frnt
6 October 2014, 19:29
As a medic I have no good excuse as to why I don't do something like this already. I can get the components for free... Laziness I guess... :sigh: next project underway...

Curious to know what you think are the essential parts to a kit like this, for the uneducated I.e. Things the average man would actually know how to use if needed.

P.s. I added you on Instagram today, username k_warrenfeltz

FortTom
6 October 2014, 19:50
http://www.darkangelmedical.com/ as they sponsor the local training guys here in Michigan
Looks great, simple, everything I need and nothing I don't and reasonably priced. Thanks for the post.

rob_s
7 October 2014, 03:34
Like most things, I worry about reality first, fantasy second. So my primary concern is band-aids, after-bite, immodium, aleeve, and neosporin. I love the kits from http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/ and have had several. Currently there's a larger one in my truck and a smaller one in the pack I carry when we're out and about with the kids.

Beyond that I like my SHTFantasy kit to be in a self-contained package, and prefer that it not contain anything that someone might mis-use on me (like a chest decompression needle) and make things worse than they were before that person arrived.

For years I had no kit(s) while I waited around to build my own custom kit. Then I realized that an imperfect pre-packaged kit in my bag/truck/pack was better than the perfect, custom, fantasy kit that was still at the store.

Wow, that last part reminds me a lot of the guys with the two-year rifle builds, or the guys that won't get training because they don't have the perfect gun or gear...

Ride4frnt
7 October 2014, 09:25
Like most things, I worry about reality first, fantasy second. So my primary concern is band-aids, after-bite, immodium, aleeve, and neosporin. I love the kits from http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/ and have had several. Currently there's a larger one in my truck and a smaller one in the pack I carry when we're out and about with the kids.

Beyond that I like my SHTFantasy kit to be in a self-contained package, and prefer that it not contain anything that someone might mis-use on me (like a chest decompression needle) and make things worse than they were before that person arrived.

For years I had no kit(s) while I waited around to build my own custom kit. Then I realized that an imperfect pre-packaged kit in my bag/truck/pack was better than the perfect, custom, fantasy kit that was still at the store.

Wow, that last part reminds me a lot of the guys with the two-year rifle builds, or the guys that won't get training because they don't have the perfect gun or gear...

Same boat I'm in. I think I'm going to just piece together some essentials. Band aids, gauze, various bandages, tapes, shears, celox, and medications, and perhaps a tourniquet. I have no idea how to use the nasal passages or decompression needle, etc, and would assume most people in the woods don't either. Maybe I just need to pony up and take the dark angel class when they come through to F3 tactical next year.

Computalotapus
7 October 2014, 09:59
Same boat I'm in. I think I'm going to just piece together some essentials. Band aids, gauze, various bandages, tapes, shears, celox, and medications, and perhaps a tourniquet. I have no idea how to use the nasal passages or decompression needle, etc, and would assume most people in the woods don't either. Maybe I just need to pint up and take the dark angel class when they come through to F3 tactical next year.

The guys at MDFI put on a great class from Dark Angel Medical. I am a firm believer if you are going to carry it better know how to use it before you put on your belt.

harm
7 October 2014, 10:21
I had a buddy who works in the ER help me assemble a blowout kit.

Celox Applicator/Plunger Set
Celox Granules
Celox Gauze
Pressure Wrap Bandage
Super Glue
Pocket Rescusitator
Oral Airway Tube Set
Combat Tourniquet for last resort

Dstrbdmedic167
7 October 2014, 10:32
Curious to know what you think are the essential parts to a kit like this, for the uneducated I.e. Things the average man would actually know how to use if needed.

P.s. I added you on Instagram today, username k_warrenfeltz

Ok I wondered who that was lol...

Anyway for me the essentials would be 4x4 gauze, roll gauze, several variations of tape(½", 1", 3") iv supplies such as angiocaths(iv needles), tubing, normal saline and lactated ringers fluid. Quick clot or some form of combat gauze or dressing. And of course simple bandages and such. I would probably also have some basic mess that can be given IV or IM. Thing such as Epi, thiamine, d50, and a few others.

If you know what it is it would be things I would get. Just my $.02...

GaSwamper
8 October 2014, 16:37
Ok I wondered who that was lol...

Anyway for me the essentials would be 4x4 gauze, roll gauze, several variations of tape(½", 1", 3") iv supplies such as angiocaths(iv needles), tubing, normal saline and lactated ringers fluid. Quick clot or some form of combat gauze or dressing. And of course simple bandages and such. I would probably also have some basic mess that can be given IV or IM. Thing such as Epi, thiamine, d50, and a few others.

If you know what it is it would be things I would get. Just my $.02...

Oh lawd, he gets to talk shop. I think I know what gauze, tape, and tubing is, and def. welcome some lactation! Maybe you should have put on a class at the range meet.

Sak007
8 October 2014, 17:01
I split an order with some buddies with of a bunch of stuff from http://www.chinookmed.com/ and made a bunch of ifak's for all are friends and family . We also practiced giving IV's to each other which is great for hangovers I might add . I keep an old Blue Force Gear trauma kit in my bob and have a camelbak medbak insert in the car for emergencies .

Dstrbdmedic167
8 October 2014, 17:36
Oh lawd, he gets to talk shop. I think I know what gauze, tape, and tubing is, and def. welcome some lactation! Maybe you should have put on a class at the range meet.

I could have but I don't think we had enough time!

Ride4frnt
10 October 2014, 15:53
Just found this. Seems to be well put together for your basic injuries. Nothing the average person doesn't know how to use. And with a few small additions should be a good kit.

http://shop.skinnymedic.com/FATPack-4x6-Foliage-Green-fatpack4x6green.htm

WHSmithIV
10 October 2014, 16:14
I always have the medical kit I put together myself over years. When I have needed something from it, I have had it and been able to use it. I actually have 2 kits. One I keep in our pickup and one at home. If I could think of it, I added it to the kits. Ironically, most medical supplies you need for a good medical kit aren't expensive. A few dollars here and there is enough to put good kits together. Ace bandages are a must for a kit, but I got those for free and they are probably the highest cost items in the kits. Those are the ace bandages I saved when I broke my kneecap and one of my arms. There's one I have when my daughter broke her foot too.

urhero
13 October 2014, 14:06
I carry the MIL/LE version of the ETA kit from ITS Tactical

http://www.itstactical.com/store/medical/its-eta-trauma-kit-fatboy/

I also keep a couple rolls of combat gauze and a CAT tourniquet on my vest, plus a SOFTT-W on my belt.

This combo keeps me pretty well set for most eventualities including multiple trauma injuries.

I never understood only having enough gear to treat 1 injury. I also keep everything clearly marked so that it's obvious to anyone else in the event that I can't perform self aid.

Hmac
13 October 2014, 15:29
I usually carry some bandaids in my pocket. If I need anything more advanced, I'll use the first aid kit that someone always has around. More serious than than and I'll use my medical backup plan...apply pressure and call 911.

UWone77
13 October 2014, 15:32
I usually carry some bandaids in my pocket. If I need anything more advanced, I'll use the first aid kit that someone always has around. More serious than than and I'll use my medical backup plan...apply pressure and call 911.

Bingo, right there.

On my daily duties, I carry a tourniquet, because that's basically all the medical training I have. That is outside of first aid training I'm required to take every 2 years.

voodoo_man
13 October 2014, 15:40
I put some kits together for off-duty and duty.

Celox blood clotting solution, and their FOX chest seal - both of these I have used on duty and HIGHLY recommend by the way. They are half the price of quick clot / combat gauze and way better performing.

Tourniquets are a must (of course)

israeli and h-bandages are good to have

sheers, obviously

duct tape

gloves

smaller bandages / bandage rolls

I also carry syringes w/ pressure valves - while I've only seen tension pneumothorax twice, once when when the shootin vic was at the hospital and the other time when a medic was on scene and din't know wtf to do so I did a Needle Thoracostomy on scene.

camomike
13 October 2014, 15:48
Went through EMT-I training. Cary ahome built first aid kit in the trunk in an old tool box. But the realism of the situation is my personal go kit is Maxi pads with w/wings, tampons, super glue, napkins and electrical tape. Makes perfect sense when you hear the reasoning.

Computalotapus
13 October 2014, 15:57
Went through EMT-I training. Cary ahome built first aid kit in the trunk in an old tool box. But the realism of the situation is my personal go kit is Maxi pads with w/wings, tampons, super glue, napkins and electrical tape. Makes perfect sense when you hear the reasoning.

I gotta ask....what's the reasoning?

Hmac
13 October 2014, 15:57

Exactly. I can relieve your tension pneumothorax with a ballpoint pen in the extraordinarily unlikely event that would ever be necessary. If I ever thought something more sophisticated might be necessary, I suppose I'd put together something more sophisticated, but the liklihood of needing something like that is so low that I don't bother anymore.

ETA: I'm not a first responder, so my needs are going to be different than some of you.

CLBME
13 October 2014, 16:24
I carry kits from ITS and Dark Angel, along with a kit in each truck of "daily" items: bandaids, Advil, tape, etc. As Comp' noted Dark Angel puts on a great, very informative class.

camomike
13 October 2014, 17:01
M.E.D.I.C. My Education Didn't Include Caring. I tell all my friends I'll keep you alive until you reach the hospital, after that you're on your own. The hospital staff can deal with things like infection and debridement.

When I was a kid I was raised with McDonalds napkins and electrical tape as band aids. My father was an electrician and is was always something we had on hand. I got to thinking about it later on (after my EMT training) and began to realize how smart it really was. The electrical tape is self adherent(is mostly tacky to itself), would hold the paper in place and was water proof It's also a lot of material in a small amount of space I'll get back to the electrical tape.

In regards to the maxipads these are two fold. First of, they make fantastic wound dressing: incredibly absorbent, large area of coverage, small packaging and light. The wings make areas to attach adhesive to that can be lifted and cut to remove without disturbing the wound too much.
Second They come packaged in a plastic sheet : in the event of an open chest wound you can use the sheet to make a three sided bandage to prevent air from getting into the chest and causing the lung to collapse.

Tampons come in a cylindrical applicator that is smooth sided. Tampons swell and can be used to seal a puncture wound/ put pressure where your finger might not be able to hold. They also work well for nose bleeds. The idea now being you don't want to tilt your head back(it can cause the blood to run down your throat and into your stomach or lungs.

Super glue can be used as liquid stitch. It burns like an S.O.B. But it works in a pinch.

Back to the electrical tape it binds to the plastic of the maxi wrapper nicely. It also, with enough wraps can function as a tourniquet.

I make no claims that this is the smart thing to do, like I said this is my personal load out. It has the added benefit a of being able to be the hero if someones Aunt Flo comes to visit and they weren't prepared.

RomeoTango
13 October 2014, 18:16
I have to take a cpr and extremely basic first aid course every year for work. We got some nice osha approved first aid kits for all the work trucks to be compliant but we sealed those all up with ceran wrap and put them in a backpack and then stocked it with a bunch of your more basic supplies that is used frequently. I made a few trauma kits with the left overs and added a few things specific to trips to the range and hiking. Not really anything high speed low drag like a dark angel but it still would get the job done. Baller on a very tight budget here...

voodoo_man
14 October 2014, 03:16
I just want to add I have taken a few LE/mil only SHTF gunshot, trauma, etc classes for the specific purpose of carrying what I carry on duty. I would not tecommend you go out and buy 200 bucks worth of stuff and not know how to use it. Once you learn the nedical stuff you can use anything that is applicable.

Why do I go and buy specific things that ive mentioned? You can ask any health care professional that treating a wound is important, not getting an infection from the stuff you used is also very important. It is also a liability for those who do this to other people.

Hmac
14 October 2014, 16:40
Legal liability from an infection in a traumatic penetrating wound, especially one initially addressed by non-medical personnel, would be very, very rare. I agree that one should make at least a passing attempt to not contaminate the wound any more than it already is, but the difference between a sterile ABD and a clean Maxi-Pad (with or without wings) will have very little, if any, impact on the outcome from a traumatic wound. Addressing the injury accurately is vastly more important than how it's done or the tools used.

voodoo_man
15 October 2014, 02:13
Legal liability from an infection in a traumatic penetrating wound, especially one initially addressed by non-medical personnel, would be very, very rare. I agree that one should make at least a passing attempt to not contaminate the wound any more than it already is, but the difference between a sterile ABD and a clean Maxi-Pad (with or without wings) will have very little, if any, impact on the outcome from a traumatic wound. Addressing the injury accurately is vastly more important than how it's done or the tools used.

I agree, and the only reason I brought it up is because it is part of my PDs policy that if we dont use new medical stuff we dont use anything at all then. It has happened and there is exposure.

Soisauss
18 October 2014, 22:33
I like this thread as I'm planning on building my own kit for hiking/camping...neat.