PDA

View Full Version : Folks, Thank you...

WHSmithIV
8 October 2014, 04:46
I honestly don't know what to say. I never expected to win anything from this giveaway Stick and UWone. You can be assured that you WILL have pictures of this mating to my stripped lower that I have with no other parts for.

I'm a bit in shock folks.

I'm truly at a loss for words.

Thompson
8 October 2014, 04:59
Congrats again! Can't wait to see where you go with the upper!!

mustangfreek
8 October 2014, 05:00
Congrats !

tact
8 October 2014, 05:31
Congrats.....

Dstrbdmedic167
8 October 2014, 05:37
Congrats! an excellent upper for sure!

Lkb513
8 October 2014, 05:43
That's awesome! Congrats [:)]

WHSmithIV
8 October 2014, 06:19
Friends, the lower receiver I bought, had shipped to me and transferred from my local FFL I had decided to build into a 7.62x39 AR pistol. During the entire summer I have not had any extra money to buy any parts for that to happen. the phone bill and the electric bill had to come first. I even sold my two best rifles to get the electric bill caught up and make the loan payments for the small loan we had to take out to renew my wife's green card ($800 to renew a green card).

I lived in her country for 23 years, now she lives in my country and my government wants to rape me.

There are so many awesome gifts that Stickman has brought together to gift to people. Of all those awesome gifts, the gift that would be the most useful to me is an upper receiver. I am well and truly shocked that I am being gifted what I need the most.

XACT_ABORT
8 October 2014, 06:22
Congrats WHSmithIV.

Peaks'n'Valleys
8 October 2014, 08:07
Very cool. Congrats WHSmith.

Will@AR15Hunter
8 October 2014, 08:59
Congrats!

ducrider14
8 October 2014, 09:27
Do you need any extra parts? I might have some small extra lower parts I might be able to find, I hate when people have to sell firearms to pay bills and completely understand that sometimes there is no other alternative, let me look around and maybe private message me

SwissyJim
8 October 2014, 10:17
congrats man!

DutyUse
8 October 2014, 10:31
Glad to see you win something, fate picked a deserving person. Can't wait to see what you build

edit: If you need some free takeoff parts (stock, handguards, grips etc) I'll gladly send to you to get your build going until you can replace with better

velocity2006
8 October 2014, 11:13
I have a spare milspec charging handle I can send your way if your in need, may have some other parts floating around the bin also.

GOST
8 October 2014, 11:40
Congrats, now it's time you start getting hounded for pics of the build.

UWone77
8 October 2014, 11:43
Congrats, now it's time you start getting hounded for pics of the build.

He needs parts first! Gotta shake down those bins...

GOST
8 October 2014, 11:49
You can never start to early.[BD]

titanse05
8 October 2014, 11:59
Congrats! We can only hope that those that win put the items to good use. You sir sound deserving!

shenvalleywc
8 October 2014, 12:08
Congrats! Have fun building!

WHSmithIV
8 October 2014, 14:53
Congrats! We can only hope that those that win put the items to good use. You sir sound deserving!

It is absolutely guaranteed that THIS part is going to get put to good use! I'll be posting pics as it comes together and a range report when it's finished for sure. :)

GaSwamper
8 October 2014, 15:10
I've got a few items that could be spared as well.

WHSmithIV
8 October 2014, 15:24
I've got a few items that could be spared as well.

Anything lying around will be most certainly welcome. All I have for the lower receiver is the trigger guard and it's pins from when I built the one I ended up needing to sell. The Mag Tactical Systems lower receiver I had used for that rifle had the trigger guard forged when it was made.

DutyUse
8 October 2014, 15:50
Anything lying around will be most certainly welcome. All I have for the lower receiver is the trigger guard and it's pins from when I built the one I ended up needing to sell. The Mag Tactical Systems lower receiver I had used for that rifle had the trigger guard forged when it was made.

PM your address. I checked my spares bin and found some dusty Colt take offs. Also atleast half of a LPK from Spike's (sorry no trigger).

Oh and like a million "gun locks" you get with pistols these days that I'd gladly part with [:D]

GaSwamper
8 October 2014, 16:17
PM your address. I checked my spares bin and found some dusty Colt take offs. Also atleast half of a LPK from Spike's (sorry no trigger).

Oh and like a million "gun locks" you get with pistols these days that I'd gladly part with [:D]

Well that works I got a mil spec trigger and no LPK.

Ride4frnt
8 October 2014, 16:34
Sounds like some teamwork is gonna build a fully functioning rifle here.

Dstrbdmedic167
8 October 2014, 16:49
I got a m4 stock I know. I'll have to look and see what else I can find when I get home

MrAndy
8 October 2014, 17:09
That's Awesome!

RobSWVA
8 October 2014, 17:10
gotta say its pretty damn cool to see everyone jumping in and throwin parts at Will.

UWone77
8 October 2014, 17:13
gotta say its pretty damn cool to see everyone jumping in and throwin parts at Will.

Not the first time guys on the board have helped finish a gun.

That's why WEVO is the best group of guys anywhere.

camomike
8 October 2014, 17:42
I have a CAR length take off hand guard, commercial extension tube and stock if you're interested. You'd need to source a new castle/end plate.

specopsscout
8 October 2014, 17:58
Congrats Bro!

Wrecker1
8 October 2014, 19:45
Congrats, I have always said that when you need it most is when divine intervention happens. Welcome home, sorry it has went to hell in your absence.

WHSmithIV
8 October 2014, 20:39
Congrats, I have always said that when you need it most is when divine intervention happens. Welcome home, sorry it has went to hell in your absence. It's not quite yet there and we just may be able to stave it off. Some states I fear though are already a lost cause.... [:(]

SwissyJim
8 October 2014, 20:44
I can check, but I think I have a spare mil-spec tube, buffer and spring...

WHSmithIV
8 October 2014, 20:49
I can check, but I think I have a spare mil-spec tube, buffer and spring...

That's a great offer but I'm going to build this as a 7.62x39 pistol so I can't put a mil-spec tube on it. The buffer and spring would be useful though.

WHSmithIV
8 October 2014, 20:56
I have a CAR length take off hand guard, commercial extension tube and stock if you're interested. You'd need to source a new castle/end plate.

I can't use the stock and extension tube though camomike. This is going to be built as a 7.62x39 pistol with likely a 10.5" barrel.

WHSmithIV
8 October 2014, 20:58

This is a really great forum and I'm glad to be a member of it also.
I do have an extra castle nut wrench if anybody needs one.

mustangfreek
9 October 2014, 04:05

The truth.

Many people on here and other gun boards have helped me , more then i have returned the favor..Truly good group around here.

I'll see what i can come up with..

Simi-audamadik
9 October 2014, 06:09
Congrats on the good fortune! I've got a low profile .750 gas block from Radical Firearms if you're interested. It's never been used. Also, do you know if you'll be using a Sig Arm Brace? If you're interested in the gas block just shoot me a PM with your mailing addy.

Later!

Simi

875fps
9 October 2014, 07:57
It's always good to see the parts go to people that can actually use them to continue a current project. Congrats on the win!

Pyzik
9 October 2014, 08:04
Congrats man! Very exciting!

WHSmithIV
9 October 2014, 09:05
Congrats on the good fortune! I've got a low profile .750 gas block from Radical Firearms if you're interested. It's never been used. Also, do you know if you'll be using a Sig Arm Brace? If you're interested in the gas block just shoot me a PM with your mailing addy.

Later!

Simi

My original plan was to put a Sig brace on it. Then I found out about the Thordsens pistol kit so now I'm undecided as to which I'll use. I'll get more of it together before I make that decision. The gas block will be needed though since I do know that the 7.62 barrels all have gas ports for .750 blocks. So, if you want to send it Simi, it will be appreciated for sure.

Thompson
9 October 2014, 09:38
My original plan was to put a Sig brace on it. Then I found out about the Thordsens pistol kit so now I'm undecided as to which I'll use. I'll get more of it together before I make that decision. The gas block will be needed though since I do know that the 7.62 barrels all have gas ports for .750 blocks. So, if you want to send it Simi, it will be appreciated for sure.
Let us know what you think of Thordsen's kit. I'm really curious to hear how you like it.

Pyzik
9 October 2014, 10:12

Just read through this thread... Awesome!

I have a MOE grip that has been stopped you can have if you want it

toolboxluis00200
9 October 2014, 10:20
congrats :)

Simi-audamadik
9 October 2014, 23:59
So, if you want to send it Simi, it will be appreciated for sure.

No problem! Shoot me a PM with your shipping address and I'll drop it in the mail. Good luck with the build!

Later!
Simi

SwissyJim
10 October 2014, 00:30
That's a great offer but I'm going to build this as a 7.62x39 pistol so I can't put a mil-spec tube on it. The buffer and spring would be useful though.
PM sent...

WHSmithIV
10 October 2014, 03:46
To all of you who have offered to send parts you have extra.... Well, I am truly awestruck. Your kindness is a bit overwhelming. I didn't create this thread to ask anyone for anything. All I wanted to do was thank Stickman and this forum because I won an upper receiver I so much need.

I most certainly never thought of or expected such an outpouring of offers to help me get this project done.

Rest assured, the time will come that I can pay the kindness forwards. I do have an extra castle nut wrench if someone needs on. I got two when I bought the handgaurd for the rifle I built then had to sell. I didn't even get to put 30 rounds through it :(

If someone needs a castle nut wrench, I'll happily send it to them.

You folks are wonderful and awesome. I am very happy to be a member of this forum.

Pictures will be posted as I get this 7.62x39 pistol together. We all like gun eye candy!

I'll be posting the first range report also when it's finally finished. I do suspect though that it is going to take me the next 9 months at least to be able to afford to finish it. Winter sets in also here in the mountains fairly soon and once snow get on the ground it is impossible to get to the range. Even 4WD won't get me there. My horse .. 'maybe'. I may have to discuss it with him though.

GOST
10 October 2014, 18:44
WHSmithIV are you into Scientology? Just trying to make sure that you're not the Prince of Bel Air.[BD]

Vesticles
10 October 2014, 18:54
I'm down in Tucson for the weekend, but I'll go through my parts bin when I get home and P.M. you to see what you need for your build.

And congrats on winning the upper receiver!

Blkdragon
10 October 2014, 20:08
Congrats!!!!

WHSmithIV
10 October 2014, 20:56
WHSmithIV are you into Scientology? Just trying to make sure that you're not the Prince of Bel Air.[BD]

Hehe Gost. Nope and nope. I have the wrong color skin I guess. I guess if I was black I'd be on TV, in movies and rich...........

WHSmithIV
10 October 2014, 20:58
I'm down in Tucson for the weekend, but I'll go through my parts bin when I get home and P.M. you to see what you need for your build.

And congrats on winning the upper receiver!

Thanks Vesticles. It really is much appreciated. After all this is done I'm most certainly going to owe some favors forwards.

ddearmon2010
10 October 2014, 23:35
congrats BTW.... took awhile to find where UW mentioned your thread.. grats again!!!

Soisauss
11 October 2014, 00:45
congrats!

Nickb
13 October 2014, 13:38
Congrats! Put it to good use just like Stick wants you to.

Txfilmmaker
13 October 2014, 14:46
Congrats to WHSmithIV and God bless you guys for blessing him with more parts he needs!

Vesticles
13 October 2014, 17:30
Thanks Vesticles. It really is much appreciated. After all this is done I'm most certainly going to owe some favors forwards.

PM sent. :)

Wrecker1
13 October 2014, 20:29
I love reading this post and the out pouring of giving.

WHSmithIV
13 October 2014, 20:57
Congrats! Put it to good use just like Stick wants you to.

It's guaranteed to go to good use - I've had a stripped lower receiver sitting on my shelf for 4 months now.

Jfund20t
14 October 2014, 17:15
I have a barrel nut that FortTom gave me , which I did not end up using as I went with a seekins rail . If you would like it , it's all yours ! Just pm if you need it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mask5687
14 October 2014, 19:50
Congrats man! That's awesome!

lake1963
15 October 2014, 12:28
congrats ! and congrats to everyone who has won so far. awesome GAW by some AWESOME folks

Briansz1
15 October 2014, 13:39
congrats,
hope to see it when your done

WHSmithIV
15 October 2014, 14:10
I have a barrel nut that FortTom gave me , which I did not end up using as I went with a seekins rail . If you would like it , it's all yours ! Just pm if you need it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what I'll need for a barrel nut at this point. It's going to be a 7.62x39 pistol with a 10.5" barrel so the handguard and barrel nut are a few months off yet. It will be a free float railed handguard and most of them come with the barrel nut for them.

I'll keep everyone posted though.

Just installed the Magpul pistol grip on the lower receiver and the Magpul trigger guard that ducrider14 sent. Looks good. Found out I'll have to get a 2nd trigger guard roll pin too. The left over trigger guard I had from the DPMS kit only had one roll pin since the forward pin is a spring loaded pin in the trigger guard. I'll deal with that later.

So, here's it is now... something just a little more than a stripped lower receiver... Thank you ducrider14 - that was something unexpected. It WILL be staying on the final pistol.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/whsmith4th/P1010007_zpsd15b2fd0.jpg

Ride4frnt
15 October 2014, 14:14
One pin on the magpul guard should be a Allen head set screw if I'm not mistaken...

WHSmithIV
15 October 2014, 14:19
One pin on the magpul guard should be a Allen head set screw if I'm not mistaken...

Could be, I'm not sure. If it is, then it would be the forward pin. However, a standard roll pin does work there. I may have to cut the pin down just a tad with my dremel is all. I did find a Magpul pin set on fleabay for $1.99 so I may just go ahead and buy it. I have plenty of the pin still out to just pull it out. The forward one is a set screw in that pair.

Ride4frnt
15 October 2014, 14:25
Yeah, forward one should be a set screw. Someone on here may have one laying around.

UWone77
15 October 2014, 14:53
Or just contact Magpul, they will send you one.

WHSmithIV
15 October 2014, 20:45

I'll try that UWone. Worst case is it'll cost $2.50 with a postage stamp. It does look good though. Not sure how far along they are with their move out of Colorado though.

jslayer5
16 October 2014, 18:47
Congrats, WHSmithIV. Great story and great that you won what you needed. It's also great to see people offer to help out. I haven't started a build yet, but I'm looking forward to when I do. Looking forward to seeing what you build.

harm
16 October 2014, 18:51
Seriously how cool is this forum? The community & support between strangers (used loosely) is incredible.

I know it's fun to think of expansive funds build etc. But dang if I don't want to see it with all the donated parts more.

Lkb513
16 October 2014, 19:27
Can't wait to see this build =)

WHSmithIV
21 October 2014, 11:16

You called that one right UWone. I sent Magpul a message to their sales dept. Got an e-mail back today that said they are sending me the roll pin and set screw. Very decent of them!

SwissyJim
21 October 2014, 11:28
You called that one right UWone. I sent Magpul a message to their sales dept. Got an e-mail back today that said they are sending me the roll pin and set screw. Very decent of them!

Gotta love a company with good customer service. Those are the ones I go out of my way to deal with anymore...

WHSmithIV
21 October 2014, 11:34
Thank you Jim and Darryl - the gas block came yesterday as did the pistol tube, springs etc. They will get used. Already have the tube on just so I could see it on. I'm figuring out which springs are which and looking around to see if any of the suppliers supply just the pins and detents in a package. I can see why you took that end plate off Jim - that extra ring on it could be annoying. I may just cut it off with my bolt cutters since the built in half ring makes a good sling mount anyway. I have a sling I can modify to be a single point sling or I can probably find one on e-bay cheap. The paraglider repair shop up the road will re-sew the sling for me into another configuration and give me some paracord to braid for attaching it too. (I also maintain his website and do some other part time work for him - and he's a gun guy). A lot of work around here gets done in trade.

UWone77
21 October 2014, 11:34
Those things get lost all of the time.

Magpul has helped me several times on that same item, as well as UBR screws.

Vesticles
21 October 2014, 12:10
Damage Industries is a great place if you need individual springs/detents/roll pins, etc.

WHSmithIV
21 October 2014, 12:13
Thanks Vesticles - I'll check them out!

Ride4frnt
21 October 2014, 12:36
Damage Industries is a great place if you need individual springs/detents/roll pins, etc.

Seconded. I put together everything I needed from them (LPK minus FCG and some other things) for 21 bucks shipped. They regularly have 20-30% off sales site wide

mustangfreek
21 October 2014, 12:37
Also white oak armament has good stuff and normal prices and cheap,fair shipping..I always order my small stuff from them..

WHSmithIV
23 October 2014, 18:24
This is how we're looking now Thanks to Stickman, UWone, WEVO, Jim, Darryl, Josh, Right to Bear Arms & Supply and Ranier Arms!

(That's a piece of cat fur on the pistol tube, not a scratch - didn't notice it until after I took the pics)

Note: I've also removed the trigger guard until the set screw and roll pin that Magpul is sending arrive.

Progress!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/whsmith4th/P1010018_zpsafbe651a.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/whsmith4th/P1010017_zpsa4dd58bf.jpg

Pyzik
23 October 2014, 18:26
That upper is hawt

WHSmithIV
23 October 2014, 18:28
That upper is hawt

Yes it really is [:)]

WHSmithIV
23 October 2014, 20:39
Question for you all. Do you think I should Duracoat the lower receiver in FDE or maybe a darker brown or copper color? Guess I need to go play with Gunstruction [:)]

Ride4frnt
23 October 2014, 20:52
Personally, I think you should have the lower coated in a color close to the upper. You got that pic of your NiB receiver set with FDE furniture UW? I'm in love with that gun.

ducrider14
23 October 2014, 21:06
My pistol ar I'm building I'm doing a burnt bronze on the lower and rail and everything else will be black, I kind of like the two tone look

WHSmithIV
23 October 2014, 21:31
My pistol ar I'm building I'm doing a burnt bronze on the lower and rail and everything else will be black, I kind of like the two tone look

I like the two tome look also. This will be a 3 tone gun though since there is no way I'll put any coating on the upper receiver. That might be a good idea to coat the lower receiver in a color that will closely match the upper receiver. I'll send a mail to Duracoat and ask them what they have that might match closely.

RobSWVA
23 October 2014, 22:17
looking good already will. aint gonna be long and you're gonna be sighting in two rifles, lucky dog....

WHSmithIV
23 October 2014, 22:50
looking good already will. aint gonna be long and you're gonna be sighting in two rifles, lucky dog....

Correction Rob, I'll be sighting in a rifle and a pistol [:D] ... the pistol will be a while though. Still need to buy about $440 in parts.

Gaspipeshooter
24 October 2014, 04:40
WH, what are you planning for the LPK/FCG on that lower?

Pyzik
24 October 2014, 07:14
Question for you all. Do you think I should Duracoat the lower receiver in FDE or maybe a darker brown or copper color? Guess I need to go play with Gunstruction [:)]

Personally, I think you should have the lower coated in a color close to the upper. You got that pic of your NiB receiver set with FDE furniture UW? I'm in love with that gun.

Agreed. NiB it if you can't find a place that does the Teflon.

That teflon looks very similar to Nickel Boron.

WHSmithIV
24 October 2014, 10:04
WH, what are you planning for the LPK/FCG on that lower?

Don't know Gaspipeshooter,

One of the guys said he's sending me most of a LPK minus the F/C group. I have a bunch of springs from Jim that include the trigger and hammer spring. I figure I'll just find a milspec trigger somewhere and do a little work to fine tune it. Swamper had mentioned he had an extra milspec trigger around he'd send. There are a bunch of them available on e-bay too.

I'm not putting anything fancy in it. That can come later. More important is to get it functional and finished.

Blkdragon
24 October 2014, 20:46
Congrats WHSmithIV

ddearmon2010
24 October 2014, 20:58
This is how we're looking now Thanks to Stickman, UWone, WEVO, Jim, Darryl, Josh, Right to Bear Arms & Supply and Ranier Arms!

(That's a piece of cat fur on the pistol tube, not a scratch - didn't notice it until after I took the pics)

Note: I've also removed the trigger guard until the set screw and roll pin that Magpul is sending arrive.

Progress!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/whsmith4th/P1010018_zpsafbe651a.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/whsmith4th/P1010017_zpsa4dd58bf.jpg

that is a work if art... so jealous

Mask5687
29 October 2014, 09:40
I will have to look for them, but if I am not mistaken I have a set of troy BUIS. If I can find them I will send them you way. I just bought a house so I have no idea where they could be.

Pyzik
29 October 2014, 10:11
I will have to look for them, but if I am not mistaken I have a set of troy BUIS. If I can find them I will send them you way. I just bought a house so I have no idea where they could be.

Very generous offer! I love this community.

WHSmithIV
29 October 2014, 11:46

Those would be awesome! I have a cheap Truglo red dot that I paid $34 for and took of my AR before I sold it. I figure just for having it working I'll stick it on so I can get the initial test firing done. I was just going to deal with sights later.

Mask5687
29 October 2014, 12:01
Those would be awesome! I have a cheap Truglo red dot that I paid $34 for and took of my AR before I sold it. I figure just for having it working I'll stick it on so I can get the initial test firing done. I was just going to deal with sights later.
I know I have the rear sight I just have to find the front one.

WHSmithIV
29 October 2014, 12:21
I know I have the rear sight I just have to find the front one.

Even if I have to buy a front sight down the road, it would cost about the same as a set of Magpul sights and I might find a deal on one somewhere.

Thompson
29 October 2014, 12:51
Even if I have to buy a front sight down the road, it would cost about the same as a set of Magpul sights and I might find a deal on one somewhere.
Might be best to wait a month until Black Friday/Cyber Monday - might have better luck then. (If you don't mind waiting).

WHSmithIV
29 October 2014, 12:54
Might be best to wait a month until Black Friday/Cyber Monday - might have better luck then. (If you don't mind waiting).

I'm going to be waiting anyway. Doubt I can afford the barrel and BCG until around Christmas. i see the Troy front sights on Amazon for about $80 and complete sets of Magpul sights for about the same. Obviously I'd much rather put Troy's on this than Magpul's - who wouldn't?

UWone77
29 October 2014, 12:56
LOL... I could see from way over here Will's eyes got bigger, breath got shorter, and fist pumps into the air... A TROY SIGHT?! [:D]

Very generous.

WHSmithIV
29 October 2014, 13:01
LOL... I could see from way over here Will's eyes got bigger, breath got shorter, and fist pumps into the air... A TROY SIGHT?! [:D]

Very generous.

The eyes definitely got bigger UWone when I read the message! That's an incredible offer.

Stickman
29 October 2014, 14:43
Thanks for joining the crowd here. Hope you enjoy your upper.

WHSmithIV
29 October 2014, 16:14
Thanks for joining the crowd here. Hope you enjoy your upper.

I do Stick and I will. I've had the lower receiver sitting on my shelf since last June when I picked it up from my local FFL after getting it from a GunAuction auction that I had even forgot about since I figured I'd never get it at that price. Fortunately I had just paid my Mastercard bill so I was able to pay for it....

mustangfreek
30 October 2014, 02:11
So where you at Will, as in parts? As i'll dig around tomorrow and see what i can find..

Need..??????

WHSmithIV
30 October 2014, 02:59
So where you at Will, as in parts? As i'll dig around tomorrow and see what i can find..

Need..??????

I don't actually know for sure Mustang, I don't know what's actually coming or not. Someone was going to send me lower parts minus the FCG. Another guy was putting some parts in a box to send that could include a handguard. I just don't know yet for sure. There could be a trigger in that box too if he sent it. I haven't had another message from him in few days, so I just don't know yet.

The barrel and BCG I'll have to buy, that's for sure. A muzzle device with 5/8 x 24 threads I'll need. I can get an inexpensive birdcage to do that job though after I can buy the barrel. I'm going to buy a nitrided 10.5" 7.62x39 barrel from Tactical Ambush. They cost $120. The BCG I'll get from SOTA Arms for $100 - those are parts I know I have to buy and I should be able to buy them right around Christmas. I haven't been overly concerned with sights since I have a cheapo Truglo red dot that works fine and I can use it for having the gun functional while I work on getting better sights. One guy here earlier has offered to send some Troy sights - that's phenomenal!

Jim sent me the pistol tube, charging handle, 3 different end plates and what looks like complete lower springs plus a few other springs. One of them is certainly a forward assist spring. I haven't done a complete list of the springs yet because I have nothing to go witih them anyway yet. There is a trigger and hammer spring in there. Daryll sent me a .750 low profile gas block and Josh sent me the Magpul grip and trigger guard. Magpul sent me the roll pin and set screw for that trigger guard. That's now installed in the lower receiver.

I don't have a pistol gas tube yet and that the last of the inexpensive parts I don't have (or may be on the way).

Let me know what you have and I can let you know what I can use. I have been astounded by the generosity of everyone here. I was simply thrilled to have won that upper receiver. I didn't expect or even imagine that so many folks would offer to help me get this done. I just figured it was going to take me around another year or more to be able to build it. Anybody who comes here to Idaho from this forum is welcome to come shoot this pistol with me when it's finished. It took me 18 months to build my AR and having no other avenue to keep the electricity on and having to sell it really hurt. I put an add up at the local grocery store and it sold the same day along with my Marlin 30/30 saddle rifle.

Hunting here is very good too. I couldn't afford the $50 for the hunting licenses and tags for the two deer we could harvest, but someone hit a whitetail about 10-20 minutes before I saw it in the road. I stopped to move it out of the road and the body was still warm and it was a cold morning. I put it in the pickup, got home and called Fish&Game - it was one of their tagged animals for tracking migration patterns. I filled out their internet form and had immediate permission to salvage the animal. So, we have venison. The only lost meat was one forequarter. That got hit hard. The hide was too damaged to save also sadly and so was the liver. I probably could have saved most of the liver but it was getting dark when I skinned it and quartered it and it had started to snow a little so I had to kind of hurry up some to finish getting it quartered. It was last Sunday so it was a bit difficult and took a few hours to get in touch with Fish&Game to get permission to keep it. My wife and I will butcher the quarters later today. They've been curing for the last 3 days. We have 2 cats and 3 dogs and they sure would have loved the liver. The heart was fine so we cooked that for them already.

This has definitely been a very bad year for us. But, things will get better. They always do eventually.

-Will-

mustangfreek
30 October 2014, 04:12
We'll ill look around, and ill keep an eye on this thread..

Take care, and getting help is a good feeling, many have helped me thru different times and even a few good guys from this forum..

WHSmithIV
6 November 2014, 14:51
A box arrived from Josh in Maryland today... This was in it to help get this pistol built.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/whsmith4th/P1010037_zps505640e0.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/whsmith4th/P1010038_zps0553aa71.jpg

It's a JP Industries or VTAC handguard (I´m not sure which of the two companies manufacturers it and which one markets it under their logo - it has the VTAC logo on it)). This was a very nice surprise. He included a barrel nut wrench for it also which is actually better than the one I have and almost broke. I'll use the one he sent for mounting the barrel when I get it. Many, many thanks Josh.

Sorry about the slight discoloration from side to side in the pictures. Some sunlight was coming in through the window and interfered with the flash.

There are a couple other guys in this forum who could maybe use the steel carbine gas tube he sent or the Umbrella Corp pistol grip. I think I already know one of them for sure. I'll message him.

Ride4frnt
6 November 2014, 15:20
Hmm, well if that umbrella grip is unclaimed I can think of a certain pistol build in need of a grip.

This thing is gonna be a frankenbuild for sure. Gonna be awesome when it's done! Good on everyone who has donated parts to this thing. I wish I had a parts bin to pay some things forward, but all I've got are a few mil spec handguards, a carry handle and a a2 sight base

Also, which member is josh from MD? Sinner?

UWone77
6 November 2014, 15:27
Hmm, well if that umbrella grip is unclaimed I can think of a certain pistol build in need of a grip.

This thing is gonna be a frankenbuild for sure. Gonna be awesome when it's done! Good on everyone who has donated parts to this thing. I wish I had a parts bin to pay some things forward, but all I've got are a few mil spec handguards, a carry handle and a a2 sight base

Also, which member is josh from MD? Sinner?

So everyone doesn't have a 15qt bin of spare uppers? [:D]

Pyzik
6 November 2014, 15:28
Ha, my spare parts consist of two grips. Lulz

UWone77
6 November 2014, 15:29
Ha, my spare parts consist of two grips. Lulz

Sounds like the start of 2 builds.

Ride4frnt
6 November 2014, 15:31

Sadly, no, that is not the case. I have a carbine handguard, mid length handguard, a2 sight, carry handle, milspec carbine stock, and maybe a gas tube and a few pins. The struggle!

Thompson
6 November 2014, 15:38
That depends UW - are you providing? [:)]

UWone77
6 November 2014, 15:41
That depends UW - are you providing? [:)]

You already have a sad lonely upper with no barrel. [:D]

Finish that first and then we can negotiate.

mustangfreek
6 November 2014, 15:45

Lol...

Uggghhh...Always rubbing it in...[crazy]...............[:D]

UWone77
6 November 2014, 15:55
Lol...

Uggghhh...Always rubbing it in...[crazy]...............[:D]

My parts bins is always in a constant state of flux... In fact it's pretty low compared to where it was earlier in the summer. A lot of that has to do with giving out parts to friends and co-workers looking to finish their own projects and just don't have the cash. Right now I'm building 2 uppers for guys that are retiring in the next 6 months. These guys have mentored and help me grow professionally, so it's the least I could do. I will probably start a build thread on that. Here's when it was a bit more full ... just for the WEVO Ginger:

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w654/richardkim0177/IMG_0116_zps58ae5d64.jpg (http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/richardkim0177/media/IMG_0116_zps58ae5d64.jpg.html)
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w654/richardkim0177/IMG_0306_zps9d39ecdc.jpg (http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/richardkim0177/media/IMG_0306_zps9d39ecdc.jpg.html)
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w654/richardkim0177/IMG_0531_zps054264f0.jpg (http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/richardkim0177/media/IMG_0531_zps054264f0.jpg.html)
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w654/richardkim0177/IMG_0470_zpsb3388991.jpg (http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/richardkim0177/media/IMG_0470_zpsb3388991.jpg.html)

Ride4frnt
6 November 2014, 16:00
My parts bins is always in a constant state of flux... In fact it's pretty low compared to where it was earlier in the summer. A lot of that has to do with giving out parts to friends and co-workers looking to finish their own projects and just don't have the cash. Right now I'm building 2 uppers for guys that are retiring in the next 6 months. These guys have mentored and help me grow professionally, so it's the least I could do. I will probably start a build thread on that. Here's when it was a bit more full ... just for the WEVO Ginger:

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w654/richardkim0177/IMG_0116_zps58ae5d64.jpg (http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/richardkim0177/media/IMG_0116_zps58ae5d64.jpg.html)
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w654/richardkim0177/IMG_0306_zps9d39ecdc.jpg (http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/richardkim0177/media/IMG_0306_zps9d39ecdc.jpg.html)
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w654/richardkim0177/IMG_0531_zps054264f0.jpg (http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/richardkim0177/media/IMG_0531_zps054264f0.jpg.html)
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w654/richardkim0177/IMG_0470_zpsb3388991.jpg (http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/richardkim0177/media/IMG_0470_zpsb3388991.jpg.html)

Damn! Off the top of my head I need two sets of MBUS, a black K2, and two raptors.

I am fully stocked on BCG's though.

Those pics are enough to make me feel little butterflies inside.

Dstrbdmedic167
6 November 2014, 16:04
I'll take one of everything....

mustangfreek
6 November 2014, 16:15
Ah...grand poobah...nothing new, you have texted me all these bad ass pics already...I do thankyou though for the things you have done for me..

Doesnt change the fact i still envy you...lol...

UWone77
6 November 2014, 16:25
Ah...grand poobah...nothing new, you have texted me all these bad ass pics already...I do thankyou though for the things you have done for me..

Doesnt change the fact i still envy you...lol...

Talk me out of getting another Umbrella Set...

WHSmithIV
6 November 2014, 16:43
I'm envious of all those parts also. I need to start a gun company.

UWone77
6 November 2014, 16:48
If it makes you guys feel better, all those parts were already used or given away. [:D]

Dstrbdmedic167
6 November 2014, 16:51
Talk me out of getting another Umbrella Set...

Well if one is good two must be better....

SwissyJim
6 November 2014, 17:16
man, so much love... and hate... in those photos! [:D]

camomike
6 November 2014, 17:41

I just creamed a little... to much info?

Txfilmmaker
6 November 2014, 17:45
You're a good soul...

Soisauss
6 November 2014, 17:54
I'm going to be waiting anyway. Doubt I can afford the barrel and BCG until around Christmas. i see the Troy front sights on Amazon for about $80 and complete sets of Magpul sights for about the same. Obviously I'd much rather put Troy's on this than Magpul's - who wouldn't?

I saw BCG, and I will gladly donate my spare ICE ARMS hpt/mpi for you, mil spec, phosphate coated and C193 bolt. Pm me thy address.

Plus, I know what it feels to.go through the damn INS...... former green card myself.

Edit: the bolt is 5.56, it should work for your 7.62?

mustangfreek
6 November 2014, 18:16
I saw BCG, and I will gladly donate my spare ICE ARMS hpt/mpi for you, mil spec, phosphate coated and C193 bolt. Pm me thy address.

Plus, I know what it feels to.go through the damn INS...... former green card myself.

Edit: the bolt is 5.56, it should work for your 7.62?

Awesome of you Dr suess...lol

And the bcg will work , but the bolt wont as it is different on a AR/47 build..

Soisauss
6 November 2014, 18:21
Awesome of you Dr suess...lol

And the bcg will work , but the bolt wont as it is different on a AR/47 build..
Okay, so I'll send the bcg less the bolt, smith. Lol

WHSmithIV
6 November 2014, 18:45
Okay, so I'll send the bcg less the bolt, smith. Lol

Hey, the carrier would be fine - then all I need is the 7.62x39 bolt for it! :)

Guinnesseb
6 November 2014, 20:18
Was just reading through this post again and the outpouring of parts from this community is nothing short of awesome!!! My only regret is that I'm still relatively new to the build your own aspect that I don't have extra parts to offer up.. (I'm sure that will happen eventually) Congrats again WHSmithIV!!! Can't wait to see her all together!! Good on everyone helping out!!! Amazing stuff!!!

WHSmithIV
6 November 2014, 22:05
Was just reading through this post again and the outpouring of parts from this community is nothing short of awesome!!! My only regret is that I'm still relatively new to the build your own aspect that I don't have extra parts to offer up.. (I'm sure that will happen eventually) Congrats again WHSmithIV!!! Can't wait to see her all together!! Good on everyone helping out!!! Amazing stuff!!!

Quite honestly Guinnesseb, I have been astounded. I have parts that came extra that I couldn't use and was told to sell them to help or go ahead and pass them forward. So, I'm passing them forward because I know someone who needs them to try to get his built on a tight budget.

Guinnesseb
6 November 2014, 22:49
Quite honestly Guinnesseb, I have been astounded. I have parts that came extra that I couldn't use and was told to sell them to help or go ahead and pass them forward. So, I'm passing them forward because I know someone who needs them to try to get his built on a tight budget.
Awesome and glad to hear that you are going to help someone else out!! Its stuff like this that gives me a warm fuzzy for our society!!!

WHSmithIV
7 November 2014, 00:09
Awesome and glad to hear that you are going to help someone else out!! Its stuff like this that gives me a warm fuzzy for our society!!!

I like to do what I can. I've been chatting with him a lot in Facebook to help him know what he needs, where to get parts at the best prices and let him know what I learned from building the one I ended up having to sell. Some stuff he has so he got a jump start because he won some parts and tools. He just doesn't have money to buy the main stuff he needs - receivers, barrel, stock and BCG. So, I'll send him what I can that I know will help him.

UWone77
10 November 2014, 15:30
What's the threads on a 7.62x39 barrel?

Ride4frnt
10 November 2014, 15:38

All the ones I've seen are the same as standard 7.62 ar barrels, 5/8-24

UWone77
10 November 2014, 15:41

Yeah I figured it was 5/8 x 24, just checking to see what muzzle device Will plans to use.

Gaspipeshooter
10 November 2014, 16:20

I bought my 7.62 x 39 barrel from YHM, and the thread was not 5/8"-24, it was 1/2"-36. I got my muzzle device from them so it was OK, but make sure of that when you get your barrel.

SINNER
10 November 2014, 18:43
For the life of me I can not figure out why YHM uses a 9MM pattern brake on their 7.62x39 barrels.

WHSmithIV
10 November 2014, 20:59

5/8 x 24 UWone. I'll get the barrel from Tactical Ambush. No idea what muzzle device I use. Whatever I can find is what I've planned.

UWone77
10 November 2014, 21:15
5/8 x 24 UWone. I'll get the barrel from Tactical Ambush. No idea what muzzle device I use. Whatever I can find is what I've planned.

Couple bucks more, but I think I'd rather go with the Faxon than the "tactical ambush" (not sure why but that name makes me laugh)

http://www.faxonfirearms.com/p/78/ar-15-762x39-105-carbine-length

I'll see what I have in the parts bin for muzzle devices.

WHSmithIV
10 November 2014, 21:19
The Tactical Ambush barrel is a nitrided barrel for $120 - that's a very good price. Also, There aren't many 10½" barrels available anywhere.

UWone77
10 November 2014, 21:22
The Tactical Ambush barrel is a nitrided barrel for $120 - that's a very good price. Also, There aren't many 10½" barrels available anywhere.

Faxon is also nitride coated inside and out for $138.

More to a barrel than price. I know you're on a super tight budget... but who's ever heard of Tactical Ambush?

How do you afford to feed your guns?

Ride4frnt
10 November 2014, 21:22
Couple bucks more, but I think I'd rather go with the Faxon than the "tactical ambush" (not sure why but that name makes me laugh)

http://www.faxonfirearms.com/p/78/ar-15-762x39-105-carbine-length

I'll see what I have in the parts bin for muzzle devices.

Speaking of them, I just realized their 10.5" 5.56 barrel is mid length gas. This common? Thought most were carbine... Hmm

UWone77
10 November 2014, 21:24
Speaking of them, I just realized their 10.5" 5.56 barrel is mid length gas. This common? Thought most were carbine... Hmm

Must be a misprint. The picture of the 10.5 clearly is a carbine gas barrel.

Ride4frnt
10 November 2014, 21:30
Must be a misprint. The picture of the 10.5 clearly is a carbine gas barrel.

Yeah. And the 7.62 you linked to is labeled carbine and it's clearly pistol length.

Looked up faxon barrels on AIMsurplus and the 7.62x39 is leveled as having 1/2-28 threads. Faxon needs to get their crap together. I have heard good reviews of their products, and likely their nitrided barrel is what's gonna be on my pistol.

UWone77
10 November 2014, 21:33
Yeah. And the 7.62 you linked to is labeled carbine and it's clearly pistol length.

Looked up faxon barrels on AIMsurplus and the 7.62x39 is leveled as having 1/2-28 threads. Faxon needs to get their crap together. I have heard good reviews of their products, and likely their nitrided barrel is what's gonna be on my pistol.

Yeah, their barrels are very high quality. Whomever is doing the editing on their website... I can't give him the same praise. :o

WHSmithIV
10 November 2014, 22:32
Faxon is also nitride coated inside and out for $138.

More to a barrel than price. I know you're on a super tight budget... but who's ever heard of Tactical Ambush?

How do you afford to feed your guns?

Affording to feed my guns isn't easy. Then again, since I can't spend a lot buying ammo, I just don't get to shoot as much as I'd like. I didn't know about Tactical Ambush at all - I found them doing internet searches for barrels. I admit though that I do like the fact that the Faxon 10.5" barrels are carbine length gas systems. For $18, yep, I may very well buy theirs to have the carbine length gas system. i do have some 7.62 ammo that I bought back when I had my SKS that I traded for my 1911 .45. For my .45 I got lucky and picked up 400 rounds of ammo at a yard sale for $50 2 summers ago. 7.62 ammo is cheap cheap and that's part of the appeal for building this in 7.62 - plus I'd like to be able to shoot the 7.62 ammo I do have. I also have a friend up the valley who's loaded to the gills with 7.62 ammo.

WHSmithIV
13 November 2014, 18:26
UWone, thanks for the info on those Faxon barrels. I'm going to go with one of them instead. I like that they are carbine length gas systems instead of pistol length too. I can't order one until next month some time, but one of those will be my Dad's Christmas present for me.

WHSmithIV
20 November 2014, 01:51
Just so you guys know. I should have the lower completed possibly over the weekend and have it pinned to the upper as it is. I'll post a new pic as soon as that last couple parts get here generously donated by Josh.

This AR47 pistol will be as much WEVO's pistol as mine. Actually, more WEVO's than mine with that upper receiver from Sticks giveaway. There are extra parts being paid forwards too. Reminds me. I need to send Rob a message. Looks like he's not going to need much for a LPK and I know that will help him a lot.

RobSWVA
20 November 2014, 18:41
well if it's more WEVO's gun than yours, we all want visitation rights. We will talk amongst ourselves to figure out the holiday visits. [BD] And thank you for passing on some of the parts that you are getting doubled up on or not needing for this particular build. It would be quite a while getting this build finished without your help, and by proxy the help from the other guys here at WEVO. After job hunting for what felt like forever, digging out of that hole plus the holidays for my kids and my gf's kids now that I'm finally working steady, finding the extra money to burn is hit or miss on the best days. Unfortunately I'll miss hunting this year, but at least I'll have a chance to get really familiar w/ the ol blackout beauty over the summer and be ready for next fall.