PDA

View Full Version : Virgin SHOT attendee

Pops76
8 October 2014, 17:33
Going to SHOT for the first time this year. I've been to other large conventions in Vegas (SEMA, etc) but anybody got feedback specific to SHOT on booths/vendors/events that I don't want to miss (or even rookie mistakes to avoid).

Thanks

VIPER 237
8 October 2014, 18:24
Shot is a ton of fun, but unless you go for all 4 days and rush through you will not see everything. Look at the vendor map and plan your attack, the second floor is where the big names are, and in a side conference room is where the tactical oriented booths are. Wear good shoes, as you will walk many miles, also keep hydrated and bring some snacks. The food there is good but expect Disneyland prices. Parking sucks, we usually park at the fashion show mall cross the strip. Also remember than many are there to do business, and the swag whores are annoying.

UWone77
8 October 2014, 18:27
Are you attending for fun, or plan to conduct business there?

Viper... Disneyland food prices in Vegas? What?[:D]

Thompson
8 October 2014, 18:33
Curious - SHOT isn't open to the general public right? Just industry and media folks?

VIPER 237
8 October 2014, 18:34
Curious - SHOT isn't open to the general public right? Just industry and media folks?

Correct. Iirc active mil and some le can get tickets as well.

Thompson
8 October 2014, 18:36
Correct. Iirc active mil and some le can get tickets as well.
Really; didn't know that. For MIL/LEO - that's only for those interested in making transactions? or is that also general access as well?

(Sorry for the noob questions)

VIPER 237
8 October 2014, 18:37
Viper... Disneyland food prices in Vegas? What?[:D]

Haha I know right? I should say food at the Sands is disneyland pricing. A bottle of water was $4-ish last year. What we usually do is load up on brrakfast in the morning, bring snacks to hold us over during the show, and then hit up a buffett after.

VIPER 237
8 October 2014, 18:38
Really; didn't know that. For MIL/LEO - that's only for those interested in making transactions? or is that also general access as well?

(Sorry for the noob questions)

I honestly dont know on that, id guess that Shot's website would have that info.

UWone77
8 October 2014, 18:39
Nothing against Joe-LE or Joe-MIL... but unless you have actual business to conduct there, it would seem like SHOT would run better without the looky lou's. IMHO.

Thompson
8 October 2014, 18:53
Nothing against Joe-LE or Joe-MIL... but unless you have actual business to conduct there, it would seem like SHOT would run better without the looky lou's. IMHO.
Yep - that's what I figured. I'd probably want to do the same.

HardEight
8 October 2014, 19:51
I always stock up on goodies and drinks from the walgreens. everything there is at sane prices.
Hotel lobby Dr. Pepper = $5
Next door walgreens Dr. Pepper = $1
You'll never see everything, but there are a lot of things there you will likely have no interest in.
Check the map and see what you want to see.

Pops76
9 October 2014, 12:08
Thanks guys, I'll actually be at the show for work but when we're not in meetings I'd like to maximize my "free" time and get as much out of the show as possible.

Gaspipeshooter
10 October 2014, 04:09
When I was the national sales & marketing manager for a company in the outdoor industry, we had a booth at SHOT Show. The intent of the show is for manufacturers/suppliers to show their wares to potential customers; dealers, wholesalers, etc. It used to be you had to submit a Vendor's license or some other official documentation that you owned/worked for a legitimate business to get credentials to attend the show. Not sure of the requirements these days. Many of the attendees/customers who attend are there specifically to source/order their retail stock for the upcoming selling season. The vendors are there basically to sell and promote for future sales. From personal experience, I can tell you there are a lot of average Joes who are not there to buy anything, and couldn't because most of the vendors in attendance do not do retail sales direct to the public. The average Joes are there just there window shopping to check out all the new stuff. My only advice is to respect the business atmosphere, and don't dominate a vendor's time shooting the shit when you could be preventing him from talking to a potential customer.

caporider
10 October 2014, 10:48
I've been to several SHOT Shows as a purchaser. My biggest takeaway: if you're just going to look around, be advised that at least 50% of what you see among tactical-minded manufacturers does not currently or will never exist for you to buy. Plus, folks like Magpul no longer show items that are not slated for near-term sale: no more Masada prototypes, PDWs, etc because competition is too fierce and folks walking around with phone cameras will try to knock off everything you display.

You also have to love crowds...

I personally am long past being excited by SHOT or the products shown there, and am perfectly happy to watch all the great videos that come out just after the show ends vs beating on my body carrying a backpack and walking dozens of miles.

HardEight
10 October 2014, 11:41
You still need to be affiliated with the industry as far as I know. I had to submit my FFL and documentation on my business. Press people can submit different credentials.

There are still people who get in from being buddies or good customers of a gun store owner, but they have been trying to prevent as much as possible people just coming to BS to the reps and take up time.

tact
10 October 2014, 12:23
They know who they are talking to by your badge.

Will@AR15Hunter
10 October 2014, 16:25
Not to thread jack, but who's registered for 2015? Any of you going to Industry Day at the range? I just got my conformation yesterday :cool:

HardEight
10 October 2014, 17:41
I'm registered and have my flight and hotel booked.
I usually don't go to those activities. I always take the wife and we use it as a tiny vacation from the kids so we usually both sleep for the first day or two of the week. 😆

Will@AR15Hunter
10 October 2014, 18:08
I'm registered and have my flight and hotel booked.
I usually don't go to those activities. I always take the wife and we use it as a tiny vacation from the kids so we usually both sleep for the first day or two of the week. 😆

Nice.

Last year was my first time attending. I've been to various trade shows over the years, which were fun, but nothing like SHOT. Industry Day at the Range was a blast. Actually, my avatar was taken while there shooting a DD MK18 at their booth. I got to meet some awesome people, and even met a few celebrities (Colion Noir, Steven Seagal, Ton Jones from Auction hunters, etc.) Yes, I am a Seagal fan, and I felt like a little boy when I saw him. LOL.

ArsonMachine
11 October 2014, 13:16
Debating on going this year. Have never attend SHOT before but have done other trade shows in Vegas. Not sure if I can over come my loathing for Vegas enough to want to go. Have kind of wanted to for a few years but not sure if it would be worth it. Decisions....