PDA

View Full Version : DIY ballistics gel?

RobSWVA
8 October 2014, 17:53
found this link http://survivaldefenselab.com/2014/09/diy-ballistics-gel-the-easiest-method/ that supposedly shows how to make your own ballistics gel for much cheaper than buying it. I was curious if anyone has tried this and their opinions on it if so.

GaSwamper
8 October 2014, 18:19
I usually just use jugs of water in front of old magazines for ballistic tests. So if I read that right it's just Jello right?

TheAuthor
8 October 2014, 18:56
Hey I'm the guy who wrote the article, and just wanted to answer your question. This isn't actually Jello, it's gelatin. It's basically the structural ingredient of jello without the sugar and other chemicals. It's also the structural ingredient of ballistics gel. The key difference being additives that allow the gel to hold it's structure at room temperature. Without those additives you have around 3-4 hours after you remove it from the fridge before it becomes a sticky mess. I actually did try to make it with Jello, but it doesn't hold as the other ingredients weaken the structure. Keep an eye on the site though as in a couple months I will be getting my hands on professional ballistics gel, and will compare the ballistics of the two for myself and will then share the results on the site. If you have any other questions just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

GaSwamper
8 October 2014, 19:16
Hey I'm the guy who wrote the article, and just wanted to answer your question. This isn't actually Jello, it's gelatin. It's basically the structural ingredient of jello without the sugar and other chemicals. It's also the structural ingredient of ballistics gel. The key difference being additives that allow the gel to hold it's structure at room temperature. Without those additives you have around 3-4 hours after you remove it from the fridge before it becomes a sticky mess. I actually did try to make it with Jello, but it doesn't hold as the other ingredients weaken the structure. Keep an eye on the site though as in a couple months I will be getting my hands on professional ballistics gel, and will compare the ballistics of the two for myself and will then share the results on the site. If you have any other questions just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

Cool, thanks may have to try this out.

RobSWVA
8 October 2014, 19:19
damn, did he have the CIA bug that link? lol

Ride4frnt
8 October 2014, 19:33
damn, did he have the CIA bug that link? lol

Yeah...

TheAuthor
8 October 2014, 19:35
I had bugs, but I can't tell you where they came from.....

SwissyJim
8 October 2014, 20:47
Funny you should ask...
My Post in the User Review section (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?6393-Lehigh-Defense-194g-Maximum-Expansion-projectile&p=65882#post65882)