PDA

View Full Version : 1911 as a carry gun, yes or no? (share your experience)

odmichael
9 October 2014, 12:00
I've recently acquired a 1911-A1 (Springer Range Officer) as a trade and some cash. I've never owned a 1911 before and fired one in the past, just once (a TRP Operator if I recall). I've heard plenty of stories, both good and bad, but I'm reaching out to you guys for any experience you have with them. I currently carry a Glock 19 (in the car, open carry) but since receiving the 1911 I want to give it some love too.

My questions are: is it reliable? does it cost ALOT of money in custom work to make it reliable? should I have a 1911 gunsmith on standby for emergencies?

velocity2006
9 October 2014, 12:24
I carry a few 1911's during the colder seasons when I am able to wear a coat, but I am also a larger guy so it does not print. My main carry is a gen 1 Springfield MC Operator that I carry with a Galco Miami Classic. Very comfortable and I am able to carry two spare mags on my person. I would say 5-600 would get you a 1911 that is reliable from a reputable brand (Springfield, Ruger, Remington even the Rock Islands are reliable). The whole idea that you need to have a fully custom 1911 in order for it to be reliable is a myth, like any platform there are ones that are great and there are lemons. Only way to find out is to get one and put some rounds through it. It will probably take you a while to get used to carrying condition 1 if you don't normally, but that is how the 1911 was designed. Draw, safety off and fire.

When it comes to 1911's for carry usually the looser fit ones will actually work a little better as it allows for dust/carry gunk to not gum up the action like it would on say a tight fit Les Baer (not saying you couldn't carry one).

Like any carry gun I would research the model your looking at for known issues, and test it yourself to make sure its 100% before you put it into your carry rotation.

FWIW I have had over 10 Springfields and they have all ran like raped apes with any ammo.

odmichael
9 October 2014, 12:43
Thanks for info, Velocity, and for sharing your experience, definitely makes me more comfortable about 1911s. I'm going to take her out to the range soon, see how she runs.

https://33.media.tumblr.com/cf7b2d6a3e973c1ece85381c5e31412b/tumblr_nd6zeiEwBJ1ql5m5go1_1280.jpg

velocity2006
9 October 2014, 13:04
Just an FYI that is a Loaded model not a Range Officer in your pic. Still a great gun, the slide is coated with their Armory Kote and the frame seems to be parked, if your carrying it will want to watch the wear areas for rust but that's about it.

RO uses target style rear sights and has a NM serial prefix on the frame. Gun pictured is an N frame Loaded with Novak style sights.

Aragorn
9 October 2014, 13:52
Normally I carry an M&P, but I have carried a Kimber in the past. I keep telling myself that eventually I'll buy or build one to carry again as it actually printed slightly less and the magazines WAY less. Only catch was I had less ammo even with one spare mag than I would with my M&P with NO spare mags so... that's been the caveat for me.

As for reliability... that Kimber died when the frame started to crack. Somewhere north of 35,000 rounds.

Nathan_Mack
9 October 2014, 18:36
I've recently acquired a 1911-A1 (Springer Range Officer) as a trade and some cash. I've never owned a 1911 before and fired one in the past, just once (a TRP Operator if I recall). I've heard plenty of stories, both good and bad, but I'm reaching out to you guys for any experience you have with them. I currently carry a Glock 19 (in the car, open carry) but since receiving the 1911 I want to give it some love too.

My questions are: is it reliable? does it cost ALOT of money in custom work to make it reliable? should I have a 1911 gunsmith on standby for emergencies?

In short, no.

I own a Sig Carry Scorpion .45ACP and I love it. It is SUPERB in every way I need it to be. But it fails in my minimum ammo requirement for a full size carry gun: 12 rounds minimum. Additionally, I've trained for years with "glock style" pistols and relearning a platform (with a safety) is not on my list of to-dos.

GOST
9 October 2014, 19:02
I've carried a Kimber TLE Custom II Pro for the last several years. Most of you probably have more carry time than me though due to firearm restrictions on a DOE work site. Once I polished my feed ramps and got several hundreds through it I felt pretty confident with it as my carry piece. I don't know if I would go as far as to say its as reliable as a Glock, but it has done very well. If you've never fired a bushing less commander sized 1911 you don't know what your missing.

FortTom
9 October 2014, 19:52
I wouldn't say yes or no, as far as it being a viable EDC weapon. I carried them for years. In the late 80's was the first time I remember seeing a polymer handgun, a G17 at a gun club. The guy let me fire it, and I thought, no way. If then, you had told me I'd be carrying anything but a 1911, I would have looked at you like you had 3 heads.

These days there are just too many polymer guns to carry. I don't have to worry about my Wilson Combat Custom, or Ed Brown, every time I bump into something. Or falling off into a deep hole while fishing in a creek with an expensive gun and leather holster. I own M&P's, all have APEX FSS triggers that are crisp and about 4lbs. They are lighter, easier to maintain and can take a lot of abuse, at a price that doesn't make you cry like a little girl, if you scratch them. We are talking carry guns. If you are especially fanatical about not getting the slightest mark on your carry gun, don't carry it, put it in the safe.

Back to is it a viable carry gun? Sure. It's not like it was one of the most beloved firearm to carry in the world, then sucked the day Glock introduced the polymer gun to America. I just find it's more practical to carry something lighter, easier to maintain, and not nearly as expensive. Weight is also a consideration for me. Most of my 1911's have been sold, with the exception of a couple that I have sentimental attachment to.

And the SA Range Gun is a great 1911 right out of the box.

People could write 400 threads with their personal opinions (such as mine are). The real test, is for you to carry one for a while and see if you like it, or would prefer something else.

FT

GOST
9 October 2014, 20:12
Good post FT. It's like picking your wife's EDC, you better keep your mouth shut and let her get what she wants.

Uffdaphil
9 October 2014, 20:23
I'm fairly new to carry. In hot weather I found my self leaving the compact CZ home in favor of a J Frame snubby. The slow reload time is moving me to a single stack Walther PPS. For cooler weather I'm going to try my Colt Black Army 1911. Slimness is key for comfort for me. Hopefully this will work IWB. No doublestack has been tolerable to date.

I inquired about the reliability and performance of a stock old style repro Colt on a 1911 forum. Consensus was absolutely fine without any custom mods. Guys are still running original war Colts just replacing normal wear items. For precision/competition It would need a lot of cash dumped in it. For close range center-of-scumbag it should suffice. As to low round capacity, it's 3 more than my .38 and much faster to reload. I figure the big boom factor adds intimidation value too. A lot of folks also liked the Springfield for a non-beaucoup bucks 1911.

odmichael
10 October 2014, 15:21
Yeah I made the assumption it was a Range Officer with night sights added. Thanks for the clarification. Ill look out for any rust, keep her well oiled. If I was to customize this 1911 any further, what would you suggest that I have done first? Thanks V

GOST
10 October 2014, 18:19
Polish your feed ramp to a mirror finish. I personally like a checkered front strap.

WHSmithIV
10 October 2014, 21:02
For me it's both yes and no. Idaho is an open carry state and I do open carry my .45 periodically. I do have a shoulder holster for concealed carry but that only works out well when temps are cool enough to wear a jacket. What I need to do is get myself a .380 or something like a Makarov 9mm for warmer weather concealed carry.

Werkz
11 October 2014, 07:50
I've trained with and carried 1911s and 2011s. My reliability experience is that a 5" 2011s ran 2k rounds in the Boise rain and mud with 3 malfunctions (1 operator failure to seat magazine, 1 mag spring failure, and one dirt in the mag ailure to push rounds up). That pistol was more reliabile than Glocks and M&Ps at the same class. It isn't a stock pistol, but it gave me confidence that a 1911 could be reliable in adverse conditions. I've carried that pistol concealed in OWB Kydex, and have been able to cover it with a long loose shirt.

nobodyspecial
11 October 2014, 08:27
I don't have a good compact pistol, yet. I do carry my Springfield double stack 1911, though. Especially in cold weather, when I can wear a coat. In ND, that is more often then not. ;-)

Being a skinny guy doesn't help, so I need the coat to hide it. I trade off between the 1911 and my Beretta Vertec 9mm.

jim.bell
11 October 2014, 10:01
Once a pistol is proven reliable, and is kept up, and ready then you are good to go.

I see nothing wrong with carrying a 1911 pattern pistol, with the right holster. I think a 1911 should be kept as close to JMB's original design as possible. I do have Novaks, slim grips and larger safety's on mine, but it isn't super tight. Having said that, most of the time I carry a Glock. I am looking at a KAHR 9mm compact for carry for the same reason as the glock, it's easier to conceal and keep clean.

With the proviso that I am not a gunslinger, policeman, LEO, military, and the only thing I operate is the kuerig.

GOST
11 October 2014, 12:02
Have you had to clear that Kuerig yet?

jim.bell
11 October 2014, 13:11
yep.

Dark1
11 October 2014, 18:23
I carry a Kimber 1911 everyday for work either in a shoulder rig or my crossbreed supper tuck. The 1911 is a little heavy but I like how thin it is and how easily I can counsel it

AaronP220
11 October 2014, 18:35
I carried a full size Les Baer for over two years.

Are far as a proven platform - the 1911 hasn't dominated everything 100+ years for no reason. I personally don't think there's a better platform and they're ALMOST like the AR-15 of the handgun world. If you can dream it, someone has likely done it to the 1911.

odmichael
12 October 2014, 00:09
What are your opinions on the Recover Tactical 1911 grip/rail mount?

http://truthaboutguns-zippykid.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/1911-Rail.jpg

din
17 October 2014, 22:40
http://www.10-8performance.com/pages/1911-Parts-%26-Modifications.html

Poke around the rest of the 1911 articles there. You don't have to go balls out, but I'd at least send it in to SACS or a good 1911-smith for a reliability package and having the ejector pinned.

A slightly upgraded Range Officer is what I carry 99% of the time. Yes, they're heavy and a large firearm, but they're not terribly difficult to conceal. A good belt and holster will ameliorate any discomfort caused by weight, and should be factored into the cost of any pistol purchase. Ares Gear's Aegis belt is about perfect for EDC, unless you're partial to leather. You might want to check out 1911addicts.com and the 1911 subforum at m4carbine.net, too.

GOST
19 October 2014, 09:58
This company makes very nice leather holsters.

https://www.dragonleatherworks.com/

Nickb
21 October 2014, 19:34
You don't need to have a gunsmith on speed dial, if that Springfield doesn't run after 500 rounds give them a call. They stand behind every one of their pistols.
A good gun belt and a good holster will make it pretty easy to carry. 1911s are thin so they don't print much under clothing.

El Cid
21 October 2014, 20:13
I learned how to shoot at an early age, and a Colt Gold Cup was one of the guns I started with. Nothing beats a good 1911 trigger IMO and the ergos and slim concealable form is fantastic. Yes, there are reliable 1911's to be had.

My issue with defensive/duty use, and my hesitation in using one is based on its capacity. The same reason I won't carry a Sig 220 or other low capacity pistol. In today's world of active shooters, bad guys working in packs, terrorist wannabes, etc., I don't think a single stack gun is prudent. My G21 is the lowest capacity pistol I'm comfortable having on me.

Everyone has different priorities but as an example, if I'm at the mall, with no access to anything else, and things go sideways an 8 or 9 shot blaster hardly seems sufficient. Factor in that handguns are horrible people stoppers and even the best among us won't get 100% hits... And bad guys use cover... And handguns have trouble getting through automobiles... I consider a 1911 an heirloom, range gun, teaching tool, and maybe a "BBQ gun" if I do carry it out of the house.