PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Grips

madscientist24
10 October 2014, 10:36
How do you all feel about vertical grips? Is it necessary or just for tactical ninjas that like to load their rifles with unecessary weight?

And if they are useful, which are the good ones?

This product made me wonder about vertical grips, hence my curiosity.
http://damageindustriesllc.com/product/enhanced-forward-grip-1913-rail-mount

Chevtec
10 October 2014, 11:09
The introduction of the broomstick grips in the SOPMOD kit was a result of too many accessories bolted to the hand guard/quad rail to get a good hold. They've evolved heavily from there. I've always used them more as a reference point and hand stop rather than wrapping all 4 knuckles around them. They made a decent monopod in a pinch too.

I really like that Damage Ind. grip, especially at that sale price.

FortTom
10 October 2014, 12:11
The introduction of the broomstick grips in the SOPMOD kit was a result of too many accessories bolted to the hand guard/quad rail to get a good hold. They've evolved heavily from there. I've always used them more as a reference point and hand stop rather than wrapping all 4 knuckles around them. They made a decent monopod in a pinch too.

I really like that Damage Ind. grip, especially at that sale price.

I always thought that a reference point or hand stop was what they were there for, not a device to squeeze and steer the gun with...... I've never used them, but I had friends that did, then switched to the small "stubby" sized, for a better "hand stop" without the length.

CarbonScoring
10 October 2014, 12:31
For me they are a must. My favorite is the short BCM grip. I use it to pull the rifle back into my shoulder, like this picture of LAV:

http://www.policemag.com/_Images/blogs/M-VickersTraining.JPG

I've also used the Magpul AFG2, which I would have thought would have fit me better, but I just can't get on with them.

GOST
10 October 2014, 18:01
I also use them to pull back. I've tried handstops but I like VFG's better. I've ordered the Unity Tactical VFG.

http://www.unitytactical.com/shop/direct-mount-vfg/

Dstrbdmedic167
10 October 2014, 18:36
I have one here or here but i mostly use a AFG mostly now. When I first held one(AFG) i didn't like it but know its on a good portion of my rifles.

camomike
10 October 2014, 19:01
Same, I use it as more of a hand stop than a grip. I personally didn't like the AFG at first. Couldn't get a good grip on it. I will say the one thing I liked about it was when I was shooting my 45° sights. It made it feel more natural rolling the rifle over, and gave me more of an ergonomic feel. I saw an awesome mod to it that I wanted to try , but then Fortis came out with their vert, so I saved the weight.

Aragorn
10 October 2014, 19:23
I used to roll a vert grip in the same manner mentioned above, as an index and aid to pull back with. After I spent some time behind an AR pistol however, I found myself more pushing down/forward to counter recoil and muzzle rise, which kind of altered my thinking as I was surprised at how stable I could keep the platform that way. Now I prefer a simpler handstop and use the forward and down technique. Works really well with the thumb-over-bore hold I use.

UWone77
10 October 2014, 19:49
For me they are a must. My favorite is the short BCM grip. I use it to pull the rifle back into my shoulder, like this picture of LAV:

http://www.policemag.com/_Images/blogs/M-VickersTraining.JPG

I've also used the Magpul AFG2, which I would have thought would have fit me better, but I just can't get on with them.

I use VFG's just like Carbon does in this photo. I like the "pit" of the VFG for my grip. Also useful for barricades.

El Cid
10 October 2014, 20:30
Like others have stated, I use the VFG as shown in the pic of LAV. Many years ago I used a full size and gripped it like a reporter holds a microphone. I also had my light at 5 o'clock and used my thumb to activate it. As I started moving my weapon lights to 12 or 2 o'clock, I switched to handle stops (IWC and the LaRue finger rest).

As my skills improved and I learned more, I've gone to the stubby VFG as I find it serves better when bracing cover or barricades. My favorites are the Unity Tactical for slick tubes, and the Gear Sector for pic rails. The one the OP posted looks like it would work and I may give it a try. I also want to try this one from Riverman Gun Works.

http://www.rivermangunworks.com/#!product/prd14/1996655745/keymod%E2%84%A2-fore-grip

rob_s
11 October 2014, 06:31
It's interesting that so many companies make so many variations on the same thing, all claiming one advantage or another.

I like, and still use, the Tango Down version, having switched from the full-length to the stubby, and now using the stubby without the cap to make it a little bit more... Stubby.

When I bought a KMR I had to find a different solution, and so the BCM Keymod VFG seems the appropriate solution. I haven't shot with it yet but so far it seems to do the trick.

Anytime I see or hear someone dismiss the VFG as "tacticool" it pretty much tends to be an early warning sign of their supreme ignorance. That said, for all those ARs that never leave the bench, I don't get why anyone would use a VFG.

CarbonScoring
11 October 2014, 09:16
It's interesting that so many companies make so many variations on the same thing, all claiming one advantage or another.

I like, and still use, the Tango Down version, having switched from the full-length to the stubby, and now using the stubby without the cap to make it a little bit more... Stubby.

The only difference between vertical grips (besides things like the Magpul AFG and Fortis SHIFT) other length that I see is the roundness. I've used the stubby Tango Down, but I'm not a fan of the roundness. I prefer the BCM because it seems a bit thinner and more oblong. Also, because my hand fits in the crook where the grip meets the handguard, the shape of that area is important to the feel for me. The Keymod BCM grip is really nice, but I don't mind the picatinny version either.

Fathom_Arms
11 October 2014, 19:34
The Grip Stop is awesome. It is machined out of aluminum so it can also be used as a foot to press against barriers. Very comfortable as well. Here is one mounted on a Fathom Arms URG.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/71Novacaine/FathomArmsEnhancedBCG2_zps20342903.jpg

CarbonScoring
13 October 2014, 02:08
Anyone use the VTAC vertical grip? I've been really tempted by it, but for the price I haven't been willing to try it yet.

rob_s
13 October 2014, 07:09
The only difference between vertical grips (besides things like the Magpul AFG and Fortis SHIFT) other length that I see is the roundness. I've used the stubby Tango Down, but I'm not a fan of the roundness. I prefer the BCM because it seems a bit thinner and more oblong. Also, because my hand fits in the crook where the grip meets the handguard, the shape of that area is important to the feel for me. The Keymod BCM grip is really nice, but I don't mind the picatinny version either.

That's kind of what I'm getting at. That is a LOT of minutiae for people to get wrapped up in. Up to a point it relates to ergonomics, and so in that respect it's important, but tracking after all these little nuances is likely wasted on the vast majority of buyers.

Further, without the trigger time to back it up, what might feel good in the living room may suck on the range.

AaronP220
13 October 2014, 07:18
I ran a Tango Down / ADM vertical grip for years. I found that i mainly used it for referencing my hand and didn't use it so much to drive the weapon. Now I use Knights URX panels w/ hand stops. I get a better reference for my hand and I feel more locked in to the gun for improved target to target driving. They're also significantly more low profile and don't add much weight and bulk to the gun.
http://i.imgur.com/GLr0zca.jpg

madscientist24
13 October 2014, 09:00
Very nice rifle. I've been thinking of getting one for some time and was wondering the pros/cons of using a full sized vert grip vs a stubby. Seems most of you prefer the stubby grips or hand stops.

What about material? Are there any benefits to plastic over aluminum or vice versa?

SINNER
13 October 2014, 09:09
I used to use a beer can on the ledge of my hunting box to bring the fore end of my rifle up to a good level placement. After smashing all my monopods one slow afternoon and missing a 12 pointer I have since added a Magpul VFG for that purpose.

El Cid
13 October 2014, 15:02
Anyone use the VTAC vertical grip? I've been really tempted by it, but for the price I haven't been willing to try it yet.

I'm in the same boat. The flat front and sides were designed to allow the shooter to brace against something without it bouncing. It's also a bit longer than I prefer and while I could cut it, the price makes me cringe at hacking off the bottom.

I'm also not sure they make the original anymore. I don't need or want that dumb knob on the side. I have not had, and do not foresee being in a situation where I have to quickly install or remove my VFG.

That's kind of what I'm getting at. That is a LOT of minutiae for people to get wrapped up in. Up to a point it relates to ergonomics, and so in that respect it's important, but tracking after all these little nuances is likely wasted on the vast majority of buyers.

Further, without the trigger time to back it up, what might feel good in the living room may suck on the range.
And I seriously doubt most shooters, even in LE or military circles ever will have the rounds down range to get a feel for what works best.

Kopis
16 October 2014, 07:05
The Grip Stop is awesome. It is machined out of aluminum so it can also be used as a foot to press against barriers. Very comfortable as well. Here is one mounted on a Fathom Arms URG.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/71Novacaine/FathomArmsEnhancedBCG2_zps20342903.jpg

I really like that. I have a box full of VFGs... i was moving to progressively smaller foregrips as i went lol. I use the forearm out with thumb over the end of the rail type grip now so i dont see the need for it as much, but this grip stop looks like it would serve as a good grip stop basically. may have to check one out...

Fathom_Arms
19 October 2014, 08:23
I really like that. I have a box full of VFGs... i was moving to progressively smaller foregrips as i went lol. I use the forearm out with thumb over the end of the rail type grip now so i dont see the need for it as much, but this grip stop looks like it would serve as a good grip stop basically. may have to check one out...

It's amazingly simple and extremely comfortable. A buddy forced me to check it out and I honestly don't know what took me so long.

CoxeyDiesel
19 October 2014, 13:12
I really love the BCM keymod VG's.

mustangfreek
19 October 2014, 13:46
Im not sure if im missing out, but have never tried a VFG yet ....

GOST
19 October 2014, 14:12
You need to give them a shot. I keep giving handstops a try but keep going back to VFG's.

SwissyJim
19 October 2014, 14:20
nice to see some keymod VG's... time to drop my homemade MOE keymod jobbie and get a better one.

Tyrannosaur
19 October 2014, 19:24
It's amazingly simple and extremely comfortable. A buddy forced me to check it out and I honestly don't know what took me so long.

I second this the Lanco grip stop is clutch. In NY no more foregrips so I experimented with every hand stop available and this one blew the others away.

SwissyJim
28 October 2014, 12:11
thanks... decided to order a Lanco grip stop for my SBR... see how well it does being cerakoted then test it out.

madscientist24
29 October 2014, 06:43
I'm thinking of getting the magpul vfg. Cheap and seems well liked. Only problem is it will look terrible on my rifle..... not a real problem but I did go out of my way to make a very functional and good looking rifle... (I have a fortis REV rail)

MonkeyBomb
29 October 2014, 07:50
I tried a VFG on my carbine and never liked it. I just switched to a midlength and I don't feel the need to add a VFG or a stop. The only thing on the rail is a light and a sling attachment. I am trying to keep this one clean and simple. I like a little open real estate to work with.

Pyzik
29 October 2014, 08:02
I also use them to pull back. I've tried handstops but I like VFG's better. I've ordered the Unity Tactical VFG.

http://www.unitytactical.com/shop/direct-mount-vfg/

Thanks for sharing that. Just so happens to be on an NSR with covers. (which is what I am using).
I've trying to figure what I want to use. I liked having a VFG to use just as CarbonScoring depicted but have been looking at Lanco's Hand Stop too since I will want something on my pistol AR and would like to keep it as similar to my carbine as possible. Too many choices.

http://www.unitytactical.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/prod_vfg_3.jpg

Kopis
29 October 2014, 10:48

i ordered it on 10/16 from lanco tac and it arrived Saturday AM! Great service from those guys. Too bad my rifle is at the cerakote shop :( Im getting it done in tungsten grey with black accents. Doing the upper/lower in tungsten along with the NSR rail and the buffer tube part of the NEA CCS stock. The butt-plate is getting done in black and im leaving the battle comp black along with black buttons/grip. Should have it by Thanksgiving i hope.

I probably wouldnt have cerakoted it but the damn NEA CCS stock is some unfinished looking grey color. You'd think they wouldve done it in some kind of semi standard black.

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss126/Papachristou/2014-09/FAFE5BCB-BB4F-447B-BFA2-ECB91BD98E3C_zpsmuqik2e4.jpg (http://s568.photobucket.com/user/Papachristou/media/2014-09/FAFE5BCB-BB4F-447B-BFA2-ECB91BD98E3C_zpsmuqik2e4.jpg.html)

toolboxluis00200
29 October 2014, 12:01
i have a wrist deformation on my left arm a Vertical Grips is a god send :)

SpydrMan
1 November 2014, 20:31
I tried vert grips and the afg and didn't care for either. I'm using the Magpul handstop without any of the XTM panels on all 3 my rifles and really like that setup.

voodoo_man
1 November 2014, 21:59
Those fortis shift grips are sweet I want to get a shorty to try out.

CarbonScoring
2 November 2014, 01:22
My issue with not using a vertical grip is that if I'm grabbing the handguard itself, I end up twisting my wrist into an awkward position. This is probably because I don't like the thumb-over-bore type grip. For those of you who prefer to not use a vertical grip, do you have your thumb going over the bore?

Pyzik
2 November 2014, 07:46
My issue with not using a vertical grip is that if I'm grabbing the handguard itself, I end up twisting my wrist into an awkward position. This is probably because I don't like the thumb-over-bore type grip. For those of you who prefer to not use a vertical grip, do you have your thumb going over the bore?
No, parallel to the bore.