PDA

View Full Version : m&p 9 holster and trigger

bball212000
11 October 2014, 16:18
I just picked up a m&p9 full size last week. I like it so far. I put about 150 rounds through it yesterday and had a blast. I run really late at night out in the country and go hiking by myself alot. Also going on a long bike ride here soon away from civilization with my dad. I am ignorant as to what to look for in a holster and was just looking for some recommendations. Also, to be quite frank the trigger leaves a little to be desired. It is gritty and a little heavier than some other pistols I have shot. I was looking at some of the Apex triggers upgrades and would like someones opinion that has experience with these on which kit to pursue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ride4frnt
11 October 2014, 16:30
I just picked up a m&p9 full size last week. I like it so far. I put about 150 rounds through it yesterday and had a blast. I run really late at night out in the country and go hiking by myself alot. Also going on a long bike ride here soon away from civilization with my dad. I am ignorant as to what to look for in a holster and was just looking for some recommendations. Also, to be quite frank the trigger leaves a little to be desired. It is gritty and a little heavier than some other pistols I have shot. I was looking at some of the Apex triggers upgrades and would like someones opinion that has experience with these on which kit to pursue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Apex DCAEK and RAM, with their glock style trigger is one of the best upgrades you can do short of a complete custom overhaul, IMO.

mustangfreek
11 October 2014, 16:38
Ive done the dcaek kit and aek poly trigger on one and it made a world of difference..

I then did the "burwell" trigger job on my 9mm full size and added the apex plunger spring and the aek trigger..it is a world of difference again...and has made the glocks hang out at home lately..lol as it just makes them that much more fun to shoot.

Also they have the Competition kit with an even lower trigger pull..

FortTom
11 October 2014, 17:30
I disagree. Try the Apex FSS trigger. The closest thing you can get to a custom 1911 trigger on the market, bar none. A few more bucks, but well worth the price. I would use the DCAEK trigger if I was was LEO and limited to what I could do, by department rules or IDPA or something. The FSS breaks right at 4lbs. give or take a little and over travel is almost nil. I've got these kits in an M&P .45FS and M&P .40FS and have never regreted it.

FT

bball212000
11 October 2014, 17:31
Thanks. Any holster recommendations?

FortTom
11 October 2014, 17:40
Thanks. Any holster recommendations?
A holster is such a personal thing, you could literally get 100 different answers. A cop in a patrol car all night is going to have a different preference than I do when I just chuck mine in the seat. IWB/OWB? State laws? Some states, "printing" can get you arrested, here we have open carry so there's really no such thing as printing as far as the law is concerned. I'd just get my gun belt and go to different gun stores and ask them if you can try one. Where on your body do you carry? Probably on a belt, but at 3 O'clock, 4 O'clock? How much training do you have? I'm going to guess you'll be drawing strong side? That's the search for the "holy grail". Try some of your friends. I bet I've thrown away a box of holsters over the years. I finally found one that I really like, and have the same model for different guns. I love them, you might think they suck. My hope for you is that you find something comfortable soon, then adjust along the way, as your needs become more apparent. Good luck and have fun searching...

FT

bball212000
11 October 2014, 17:55
I appreciate your honesty.

Jmoto
11 October 2014, 18:07
I have several M&P pistols and after having had the apex set ups and custom jobs by ATEI, I would definitely prefer the ATEI job. The apex is a big improvement, but the ATEI job is phenomenal.

www.ATEIguns.com

If you can live without your pistol for a few days, I could not recommend them highly enough. All of my pistols now sport ATEI trigger jobs with enhanced reset. I won't name drop all the guys that have and do use him for his services. I may be a bit biased since he is local to me, but they are far and away better than a "kit" trigger.

I use raven concealment phantoms or VG2 holsters on all of them, but there are many good kydex holster makers out there.

bball212000
11 October 2014, 18:28
Well, my bow just broke a limb. It appears I need a new bow now instead. Bow season starts here on Wednesday.

Ride4frnt
11 October 2014, 18:33
Boy that escalated quickly. Glad you weren't hurt. I know limb breakages can be pretty brutal.

bball212000
11 October 2014, 20:03
Was shooting in the backyard in the dark and it happened. It cracked really bad and didn't hurt anyone thank goodness.

Ride4frnt
11 October 2014, 20:25
Was shooting in the backyard in the dark and it happened. It cracked really bad and didn't hurt anyone thank goodness.

What kinda bow. Please tell me not a bowtech or some other $1500 bow. I'm in the market currently. Most likely going with one of the lower end PSE x-drive bows.

Ride4frnt
11 October 2014, 20:26
Also, where are you located? Maryland bow season came in first week of September (albeit, I think that is too early)

bball212000
11 October 2014, 21:26
Alabama. It was an older bear. I was hoping it would get me through the season. Season starts Wednesday. Looking at getting a bear from a friend of a friend at a decent price.

bball212000
11 October 2014, 21:27
I'm not sure yet though. So many choices.

Computalotapus
12 October 2014, 05:28
As far as holsters there are a ton of them out there.
Kydex I would look at:
Raven Concealment
Amordillo Concealment
Red Eye Tactical
Veil Solutions
For leather I would go no further than Jason Winnie Leather.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1