PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy S5 vs Iphone 6

VIPER 237
11 October 2014, 16:54
It's time for a new phone, having had both Android and Apple phones I prefer the android system and the GS5 is a killer phone. However to get the new GS5 it's $250 out of pocket, and Sprint is doing the unlimited iphone 6 deal for $70 a month with nothing down which is really tempting. Spec wise these two are pretty damn close with no obvious winner. So what do you guys think?

Lkb513
11 October 2014, 17:03
Ford vs dodge. Burger vs burrito. All depends on what you want and what you'll be doing with it. I have a s5 and have absolutely no complaints. I know apple just had problems with a update with their new operating system. It knocked out the phones network making it unable to make calls or text.

Apple also has the iPhone 6 plus. Which is pretty much a rip off of the Samsung notes.

But both the s5 and i6 are powerhouse phones with unique features all their own. I prefer Samsung. But you'll be happy with either.

specopsscout
11 October 2014, 17:09
I'm in the same boat. Our contract is up. We jumped to the Galaxy from iPhone with no regrets, but I think we'll be going with the new Note 4, which releases in the US this week. There were plenty of solid cases for the last versions to harden it, and it seems to do about everything the others do with a larger screen and some added features.

AaronP220
11 October 2014, 17:10
I preordered an iPhone 6 Plus from Sprint 4 weeks ago ($400+ out pocket). They quoted 3-4 weeks wait before I would get the phone. This past wed was 4 weeks and they still haven't gotten me my phone. I called to bitch and see what's up and they told me it could be another 4-6 weeks (8-10 weeks total).

So, if you want an iPhone 6 Plus right now from Sprint - it's not going to happen unless you're lucky enough to find a store that has one in stock. I'm pretty irritated right now with the entire situation.

As far as phone vs phone - I would say get whatever you like. They're all about the same thing. The Galaxy vs iPhone debate is pretty pointless to me.

Ride4frnt
11 October 2014, 18:32
Been an iphone user for 6 years, and I'm about to make the switch. Nothing on this iphone is anything more than what android had 2 years ago.

Gaspipeshooter
11 October 2014, 18:41
I just picked up a 128 GB iPhone 6. Been an iPhone user since the i4 first came out. I tried like hell to get the Verizon Store manager to talk me into a Samsung S5, but he refused. He said in my neck of the woods, I'd have better reception with the iPhone. So iPhone 6 it is!

SGT.G
12 October 2014, 09:43
A phone that's not on your list but definitely worth a look, HTC one m8.. wife has the s5 and I have the HTC, it has better camera, basically the same operating system, dosnt require a specific charger like ths s5 does, and a better screen. Plus duel front stereo speakers that are the loudest best sounding of any phone I've had

HardEight
12 October 2014, 17:18
The S5 just uses a regular usb port for charging.

Lkb513
12 October 2014, 17:30
The s5 comes with a usb 3.0 adapter for charging and hooking up with a computer. But you can also use a mini USB charger. I use my old s3 charger on it at work.

Hmac
12 October 2014, 18:06
Apple also has the iPhone 6 plus. Which is pretty much a rip off of the Samsung notes.

As opposed to the entire Android platform, or for that matter, the entire Samsung smartphone lineup, which is a ripoff of the entire Apple iOs platform.

Everybody rips everybody off these days, but when it comes to comsumer computer tech, there's Apple, and there's the companies that follow Apple's lead.

Not that a given Android iteration can't improve on a given Apple version, but it's still always follow-the-leader.

UWone77
12 October 2014, 18:10
I have an iPhone 5 now. I'll be upgrading to the 6 plus when the time comes. I am by no means an Apple fan boy, never even owned a Mac or iPod (still don't) before my 4s. However, to me, and I know this is very subjective, The iOs platform is the most user friendly to me.

okdonk
12 October 2014, 18:15
Each platform has pros n cons. I used to be an iPhone user back when it was the 3GS. Moved to Android since then and couldn't be happier.
I own MBP and iMac, i seriously admit i love their computers. But just not their tablets or phones.

Txfilmmaker
12 October 2014, 18:26
Both are great phones. I went with the iPhone 6+ because of the optic image stabilization on the camera lens and the security of the Apple phones. The iPhone "should" be a more secure phone.

Gaspipeshooter
13 October 2014, 05:27
I looked at the i6+ and that thing is HUGE!!! Absolutely meets the definition of "Phablet"...the regular 6 is plenty big enough for me. If I need a bigger screen I have an iPad.

VIPER 237
19 October 2014, 22:44
Well last Monday I picked up the iphone 6, it is a nice phone for sure, and the camera is amazing. However today I was sitting on a chair and accidentally dropped it onto our wood floor and the screen cracked. This is from a measly 2 foot fall! I can't count how many times I dropped my galaxy without issue, and most were from greater heights. Im not impressed at all.

WHSmithIV
19 October 2014, 23:04
Neither is better than the other. You'll need to learn how either of them works anyway. What to you prefer, mustard or ketchup on a hamburger? Both of them are made in China or Japan - just flip a coin.

WHSmithIV
19 October 2014, 23:05
Well last Monday I picked up the iphone 6, it is a nice phone for sure, and the camera is amazing. However today I was sitting on a chair and accidentally dropped it onto our wood floor and the screen cracked. This is from a measly 2 foot fall! I can't count how many times I dropped my galaxy without issue, and most were from greater heights. Im not impressed at all.

90%+ of that i-phone isn't made in the US either....... go figure.

WHSmithIV
19 October 2014, 23:18
I have learned in my 30 years plus as both a computer and telecom engineer, buy the cheapest option possible. The technology advances faster than the life of the product anyway. A perfectly fine working 10 year old computer still works just perfectly, but it's not as fast as new ones, operating systems keep getting improved - yes, even Android keeps getting improved. Anything you buy today is going to become already obsolete in 2 years since technology grows faster than effective lifespan for what you buy. Back up your data and contact files. Save them for the next item and load them there. Technology today has become throw away technology. When it dies, buy a new one. That is how cheap technology has become. I do fix a lot of it when it's more ecoomical to fix it for people than them buying a new one would be. I save data from their old dead ones too.

Basically, it's a case of 'pick your poison'. From my perspective as a computer and telecom engineer who went into business for myself to help people 5 years ago, buy your cheapest choice.

Gaspipeshooter
20 October 2014, 04:17

Sorry to hear that. Knowing how I am with phones, mine didn't even leave the store until it has a screen protector installed and then it got encased in an Otter Box case...

SINNER
20 October 2014, 05:20
I was so happy to get my S5 until I realized that reception in fringe areas was horrific. My home is in a poor reception area where I had to pay attention to where I was in the house with the iPhone 5. The S5 would flat out not work anywhere in my home. Walking outside to make calls was bad enough but I would not even get voice mails and only got texts through the wifi. The 6 seems slightly better than the 5 as photos will actually send from my home on the cellular network. I am on Verizon BTW. No other network in MD is even close to their coverage.

Hmac
20 October 2014, 05:22
Sounds like bad luck. Generally speaking, iPhones are substantially more durable than the Galaxy series. Most recent tests indicate that the current iPhones continue that trend.

http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-6-drop-test-video-2014-9

SquareTrade's report (via The Wall Street Journal) suggests the iPhone 6 can survive after being dunked under water and dropped on the floor (although we wouldn't suggest doing either of those things with your new iPhone).

According to SquareTrade, the iPhone 6 performed better than the iPhone 5s, Galaxy S5, Moto X, and HTC One.

SINNER
20 October 2014, 05:27
Lifeproof cases are the ticket. I went through 3-5 phones a year using otter box cases. I have never broken a phone in a lifeproof case.

Computalotapus
20 October 2014, 06:23
I was a iPhone fanboy for a long time and I mean loooooong time. I tried an top of the line Android once....once, then went straight back to an iPhone. Work started getting more demanding and I had to do stuff on the go. I needed seemless syncing of files from my work laptop, home computer, and phone an easy to get to place without having to worry about buying this app or that app. Finally I made the move to a Windows Phone ( Nokia Lumia Icon w/ Windows Phone 8.1). Able to VPN to client networks with cisco and sonicwall UTMs. RDP to servers and workstation to troubleshoot problem while I am on the go. I am not a heavy app user really I just need a phone for phone calls, email, text. The main apps I use are Instagram and Tapatalk, mobile banking, CRM app for client information, and I have a RSS Feed reader installed for those long sits on the porcelain throne.

Can I do all this stuff on Android or iPhone..I could but I just find that the Windows Phone did it smoother than the others. My only complaint about the Icon is the shutter speed it slow, still takes amazing pictures and the build in photo editing software is top notch.

GOST
20 October 2014, 07:02
Haven't tired a Windows phone, may try one when I decide to upgrade.

harm
20 October 2014, 08:01
I lasted a week with the iPhone 5s. Screw that noise. Back to android for me. I felt so constricted. Open source, unlimited apps & modifiers.

Gearing up to mod my os to a more secure custom version. Not to say its perfect but its better than stock from anyone.

Regarding the screen of the iPhone - the glass they used for the 6 is designed for small surfaces and is great for bumps and jostles, but doesn't have the elasticity or strength to take even moderate falls. Sad truth people are going to spend more money on insurance claims & need more protective accessories w the iPhone 6 than any other generation.

Hmac
20 October 2014, 08:55
I lasted a week with the iPhone 5s. Screw that noise. Back to android for me. I felt so constricted. Open source, unlimited apps & modifiers.

Gearing up to mod my os to a more secure custom version. Not to say its perfect but its better than stock from anyone.

Regarding the screen of the iPhone - the glass they used for the 6 is designed for small surfaces and is great for bumps and jostles, but doesn't have the elasticity or strength to take even moderate falls. Sad truth people are going to spend more money on insurance claims & need more protective accessories w the iPhone 6 than any other generation.

All evidence to the contrary thus far.

I do agree that the Android platform is great for those who love to tinker. Me, I don't want to tinker. I just need a durable, reliable phone that just works, so iPhone is more suitable for my needs.

harm
20 October 2014, 09:36
Idk all evidence does suggest.

And life is all about choices man. You like Glock, I love myself HK. Tons of guys rock 1911's & there's that one daffy bastard in the corner with his hi point & he's stoked. That's part of freedom is we don't have to agree & that's cool. Mine suit my needs. Yours to you.

Txfilmmaker
20 October 2014, 10:41
Sorry to hear that. Knowing how I am with phones, mine didn't even leave the store until it has a screen protector installed and then it got encased in an Otter Box case...

Me too. I will have a heavy duty case and screen protector waiting for my 6+ to come in.

VIPER 237
20 October 2014, 13:06
I even had the new tempered glass screen protector from Zagg installed.

Sounds like bad luck. Generally speaking, iPhones are substantially more durable than the Galaxy series. Most recent tests indicate that the current iPhones continue that trend.

http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-6-drop-test-video-2014-9

From personal experience and already have seen other i6's with cracked screens I'm calling bs. Now they want $200 to replace the screen. If I knew this was going to happen I would've just forked out the extra $ to get the Galazy S5.

Hmac
20 October 2014, 15:21
I even had the new tempered glass screen protector from Zagg installed.

From personal experience and already have seen other i6's with cracked screens I'm calling bs. Now they want $200 to replace the screen. If I knew this was going to happen I would've just forked out the extra $ to get the Galazy S5.

Nah. I've had iPhones every two years since the iPhone 3. I've never used a screen protector and the most elaborate case I've ever had on an iPhone has been a Magpul case. No breaks, no cracks, no problems. Of the many, many family members and friends with iPhones, my experience mirrors theirs...no screen issues. The hospital where I work is almost all iPhone for doctors and administrators....no screen issues, including the recent switchover by many to the iPhone 6.

Anyway, as long as we're swapping anecdotes. That's mine....[:)]

Computalotapus
20 October 2014, 15:51
I have seen them all break, iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone. They all use the same gorilla glass made by Dow. Its really random on if and how it cracks. Gorilla glass is gorilla glass doesn't matter what phone you put it on. That like sayin the Goodyear tires on a Honda are better than the same Goodyear tires on a Suzuki doesn't make sense.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

VIPER 237
20 October 2014, 17:00
Good to know, I thought they used different glass but I was wrong.

I have seen them all break, iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone. They all use the same gorilla glass made by Dow. Its really random on if and how it cracks. Gorilla glass is gorilla glass doesn't matter what phone you put it on. That like sayin the Goodyear tires on a Honda are better than the same Goodyear tires on a Suzuki doesn't make sense.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

Nah. I've had iPhones every two years since the iPhone 3. I've never used a screen protector and the most elaborate case I've ever had on an iPhone has been a Magpul case. No breaks, no cracks, no problems. Of the many, many family members and friends with iPhones, my experience mirrors theirs...no screen issues. The hospital where I work is almost all iPhone for doctors and administrators....no screen issues, including the recent switchover by many to the iPhone 6.

Anyway, as long as we're swapping anecdotes. That's mine....[:)]

There's a good chance that I just got a bad one, or it hit in the absolute wrong place.

Eric
20 October 2014, 17:16
today I was sitting on a chair and accidentally dropped it onto our wood floor and the screen crackedt all. Sounds like something I would do. I always have a sturdy case on mine to minimize the possibility of damage.

Hmac
20 October 2014, 18:21
There's a good chance that I just got a bad one, or it hit in the absolute wrong place.

I suspect the latter scenario. When the iPhone 4 came out, somebody did some kind of drop study. IIRC, hitting square on one of the corners or exactly face-down was a bad thing.

Here's an interesting article on mobile phone screens... http://time.com/3377972/why-apple-didnt-use-sapphire-iphone-screens/