PDA

View Full Version : AAC 556-SD

mustangfreek
11 October 2014, 17:46
Have been looking at getting into the NFA game for a while now, and am just about there..lol

Looking at a few cans but probably the first one after a 22 can ( Probably spectre 2 ) will be a 556 model. then later on a 762 can. I have all 556 platforms right now and no 762 guns, sold then last year..

so getting a 556 can seemed like a good idea.As some of the 762 cans are very long , as i was planning on using it on a 10.5" , 16" middy and a 18" SPR

Anyone using this can? Seems like a decent start into this next level of addiction and with the AAC 200 rebate it makes it almost a no brainer..lol...

Ride4frnt
11 October 2014, 18:13
Personally, for me I'm going with a 7.62 can off the bat that way I'm covered for all my weapons. Looking hard at a specwar 762, but I could be persuaded.

Dstrbdmedic167
11 October 2014, 18:28
I'm with ride4frnt go with a 7.62 can and call it a day. I did! I have a 762-SD in jail now and should have it around first of the year. From the research I did it's only a few DB difference between using a true 556 can vs a 7.62 can. Go big now and you won't have to buy another can later. That is unless you want a couple dedicated cans...

Edit: the 762-sd being full inconel now, only $600 +stamp and then the rebate... That is a no brainier lol

AaronP220
11 October 2014, 18:33
I have the 762-SDN-6 and have never looked back. It's a GREAT do all can and I suspect the 762-SD is equally as nice for less cost.

mustangfreek
11 October 2014, 19:38
I'm with ride4frnt go with a 7.62 can and call it a day. I did! I have a 762-SD in jail now and should have it around first of the year. From the research I did it's only a few DB difference between using a true 556 can vs a 7.62 can. Go big now and you won't have to buy another can later. That is unless you want a couple dedicated cans...

Edit: the 762-sd being full inconel now, only $600 +stamp and then the rebate... That is a no brainier lol

Im hearing what you guys are saying, just grab a 762 can and be done. First off i have no 30 caliber guns or similiar at the moment that i want to suppress.

I have the following that i would like to run a can on if i go this way
10.5" , 16" gun, and 18" bench gun

So why the 556 can i was thinking, i have looked at the 762-sd , but it just looks so big..lol..On a AR that is.. if i start this, i can see a 762 can, and a couple pistol cans also down the road.

I have the 762-SDN-6 and have never looked back. It's a GREAT do all can and I suspect the 762-SD is equally as nice for less cost.

I have been reading up a lot on different cans, and the sdn-6 looks like a good can for a do-it-all shorter barrel 556's and under 16" 762 stuff..Atleast from AAC's perspective that is..

mustangfreek
11 October 2014, 19:46
You can tell me i am full of shit though...as i am a newbie to this...lol

Just been on my radar for a while and the AAC deal is just looking to hard to pass up....

Also a 223 bolt action toy is in the works...so another reason im thinking a 556 can and looking hard at the AAC 556-sd...

Ride4frnt
11 October 2014, 20:17
From your point of view, I agree, if you currently have no 7.62 toys a 5.56 can makes sense. For me, the negligible dB difference makes me sway toward the 7.62 because I have a .300blk build and id really like to thread the barrel on my .25-06. Wanna take a deer with a suppressor so bad

UWone77
11 October 2014, 20:30
You'll never hear the difference on the range between a 5.56 can and a 7.62.

I'd save up a little more money for a 762SDN-6 and call it a day for both platforms.

cagekicker204
11 October 2014, 21:38
I was looking hard at the AAC 556 SD also as a first can and almost jumped on it specifically for the rebate. My fiance went with me and watched as I looked at all the AAC cans that my local dealer had and commented that for $400 bucks I might as well get the best one I could get. I chose the 762-SDN-6 because I could not hear a difference when I fired it out behind his shop between the 5.56 cans and 7.62. I figured it would be better to spend the money for a good one that I can swap around between guns than buy two of the cheaper ones. I even found out I can have my Saiga conversion threaded for it. I just want to be clear I have no experience with the whole suppressor thing just telling you what my rational was for picking the 762-SDN-6. I am impatiently waiting for my form 1 to come back and hope to see the form 4 before next summer. For what it's worth the 556 SD and 762-SDN-6 are relatively close in size and weight however the 7.62sd is longer and heavier.
Here's a picture I took at his shop the discolored one is his personal M4-2000. From left to right Mini , M4-2000, 556 SD, 762-SDN-6, and 762SD. http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s450/wmidberry/Mobile%20Uploads/20140910_175148_zps4a3e755a.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/wmidberry/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140910_175148_zps4a3e755a.jpg.html)

mustangfreek
12 October 2014, 00:57
Thanx for the replies/info fellas....Pic showing them helps a little.Like i said i am thinking 556 can first and a 762 can later on for a ar-10 or 6.5/308 bolt gun...have no blackouts and right now not on my radar..

So the thinking was with so many 556 builds right now a dedicated 556 can would not be a bad thing, as i can tell you i wont be done at 1...lol..

Also heard the sdn-6 isnt the greatest on longer barrel applications..

Anyone using a 556-sd can?

Sak007
12 October 2014, 01:24
I decided to get a 7.62 can so I can run it on all my rifles now i just have to wait for my Saker to get out of jail .

mustangfreek
12 October 2014, 14:52
You guys aren't talking me in or out of this decision...lol

Looking around, and for what im after, i "dont" think the sdn-6 is what i want. As when i get a 30 caliber or similiar, most likely 260/creedmoor bolt action or ar10...i would be looking at a little better can for precision, which the thunderbeast look like a good choice..

Anyways....

cagekicker204
12 October 2014, 17:33
I understand I liked both the 556 SD and the M4 - 2000 when I tried but like I said am new to the whole suppressor thing. My ears couldn't tell the difference between both and weight wise it's seemed to be the same. I think either would be a good choice. I would probably pick the 556 SD because I am cheap lol.

Farva
14 October 2014, 01:03
I have also been thinking of picking up the 556 SD. To me the price point can't be beat. The difference in db between it and say the m4-2000 is so negligible to me I don't see forking over the extra cash. I see what everyone is saying about buying a 762 can as a " one and done" option. I agree with this to a point because I have a 6.5 Grendel among my family of 556. But I'm in the same boat with OP. I'd like a dedicated can for either system. So having never shot a 556-SD, I assume it's similar to the M4-2000 ( which I have fired) i say it's a great choice. I've also shot a 300 blk through a thunder beast can and it's awesome! Shooting suppressed is the most fun you can have with your pants on IMO. [:D]

mustangfreek
14 October 2014, 04:30
Thanx for the input guys, im listening..

MoxyDave
14 October 2014, 10:27
Keep in mind there will be a POI shift for every platform. I like to keep the suppressor with the same weapon all the time. For your first suppressor, yeah it's fun to move it around and try it on different stuff but that gets old fast. Lots of re-zeroing and wondering as you look in the safe "Did I zero that gun with the suppressor or this other one?"

Once you get over the neatness factor of owning one, you might come to appreciate keeping it together with the same platform 100% of the time.

Thread-on cans are typically cheaper. I used Rocksett to mount an old Gemtech M402 to a Noveske barrel and I'll only remove it to replace the barrel. I even clean it with the suppressor on.

Just some food for thought ...

rob_s
14 October 2014, 12:04
I thought I replied to this earlier today...

What is your resistance to having one can to do both 5.56 and 7.62 vs. having two cans?

Farva
14 October 2014, 19:38
To me I feel like having a suppressor that is dedicated to one caliber seems like you would game more performance out of that can, using it for its intended purpose. Not to say a 762 can doesn't suppress 556 well as in sure the db difference is so minute your ear will never be able to truly tell. To me it's similar to using king sized sheets on a queen sized bed. Will the king size fit the queen good enough to work? Absolutely. Can you use the same sheets on a larger bed down the road? Sure can. But why not use sheets that are specifically designed for your size of bed, especially if you don't have a larger bed or plans to acquire one in the near future. From a practical standpoint I understand getting the 762 to run everything with but say you never end up getting a larger caliber gun. Then what? As it was stated above constantly moving the can could in turn result in a headache. Just my .02

VIPER 237
14 October 2014, 21:14
AAC cans are great but heavy, and I don't care for the AAC 51 T mounts, they have has issues in the past with POI shifts, although the new 90T is supposed to have rectified this issue. Another thing is that they are MIM, IIRC Kyle Defoor had one literally disintegrate.

Another advantage of running a 7.62 can on a 5.56 rifle is less back pressure and blowback, you also run less risk of a baffle strike. The disadvantage is higher cost and increased weight and negligible sound increase.

However what's interesting is the 7.62 Saker with a 5.56 cap is quieter than a 5.56 Saker.

Here's another option. It is a little more expense, but it comes with the mount and IMO is a superior suppressor.

http://www.griffinarmament.com/Recce-5-Silencer-p/garec5.htm

mustangfreek
15 October 2014, 00:03
Hummm....Alot of good info here....Like i said already..im a newbie in this area..

So all the info is appreciated..

mustangfreek
4 November 2014, 13:30
I have still been drooling over this NFA game, and thought i was gonna get squeezed...well might have a chance to do something as the 41p doesnt look like it will go in effect till may 15 , they are saying right now atleast

http://ht.ly/DOqJk

gatordev
4 November 2014, 13:34
This is not good. This just prolongs the time frame that I have to come up with some excuse to get another suppressor and spend more money. Especially since I lack a .22 can.

Seriously, good news though, although not entirely a surprise with how long this has been dragging on.

Thompson
5 November 2014, 11:35
I have still been drooling over this NFA game, and thought i was gonna get squeezed...well might have a chance to do something as the 41p doesnt look like it will go in effect till may 15 , they are saying right now atleast

http://ht.ly/DOqJk
Are you sure? I thought (if I read this correctly) that May was when they will give an answer, and not the date 41p will go into effect.

Either way; I guess it pays that my CLEO is pro-2A (at least that's what I understand)

gatordev
5 November 2014, 14:12
You are correct, Thompson... The response is not scheduled for May 15, which historically has been followed by a 60 day grace period. Whether an actual response happens in May will be interesting, otherwise they'll have to push it another 6 months again.