PDA

View Full Version : Polymer Lowers, Yay or Nay?

odmichael
12 October 2014, 09:18
I have a stripped poly lower which I'm considering turning into a 7.5 5.56 AR pistol. I don't know a lot about polymer lowers, so I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with them? Would you recommend one? and if it's smart to build an AR-15 pistol platform using a polymer lower?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CEAYW_2y4VU

Thanks[BD]

SGT.G
12 October 2014, 09:27
I personally wouldn't use any poly receivers, might be ok for just a range gun, but for anything that's gonna demand reliability and trust in the weapon it wouldn't be a good choice. I've seen them crack, blow up, melt and so on.. also I've damaged standard lowers while in Afghanistan, so poly would not hold up in any kind of combat or defensive situation for very long

VIPER 237
12 October 2014, 09:34
I have a dedicated .22 upper on a poly lower, but I would never trust one for a 5.56, I have personally seen too many have issues that you never see with a forged lower.

FortTom
12 October 2014, 10:21
This question pops up often. Usually the overall consensus is "no I wouldn't trust one" but with no reasoning behind it other than it's polymer. Sgt.G, though is one of the few, if any, that I've read that has firsthand knowledge and a visual on such an occurrence, rather than just hearsay and anecdotal responses. I do believe I'd take his word for it.

FT

JoshAston
12 October 2014, 11:00
If you must have a polymer lower, GWACS.

rob_s
12 October 2014, 11:09
Nay. What's the point?

Some people need to learn the difference between new and better.

MoxyDave
12 October 2014, 11:18
Nope. I've broken several with normal use.

AR-10
12 October 2014, 11:22
Buy a forged or billet aluminum receiver, plastic is for Tupperware.

GOST
12 October 2014, 12:13
PSA has forged lowers for $49.99.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10445/

FortTom
12 October 2014, 13:01
Nay. What's the point?

Some people need to learn the difference between new and better.

Even a better answer

odmichael
12 October 2014, 15:02
Nope. I've broken several with normal use.

Can you elaborate? All I'm reading online is positive stuff, I want the truth though, real first hand experience.

FortTom
12 October 2014, 15:19
Can you elaborate? All I'm reading online is positive stuff, I want the truth though, real first hand experience.
Two folks here have spoken from experience. Do you think they're lying? Just asking. If all you're reading online is positive, then buy one. My question would be why? But that's besides the point, I've never owned one, exactly because of the answer Rob_s gave, why? There's better out there for the same or less money. I don't think you're going to get many more explicit details than what you got from Sgt. G or Moxy Dave? MD is a long time and well respected member here. The fact that he's broken several should stand for itself. If you're looking for someone to give you warm fuzzies about them, go back to the "internet" where you heard nothing but good things, then buy one. The reason that many of us here nevered bothered with one, is the horror stories (except in situations like a dedicated .22 rifle) about them. I'm a little amazed that two experienced people told you about their first hand experience with them breaking, and you retort with "I want the truth though, real first hand experience". sorry MD and Sgt. G, your version is now deemed false. With my best Jack Nicholson impersonation it sounds like "YOU WANT THE TRUTH, YOU WANT TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH"...geez some peoples kids..

WHSmithIV
12 October 2014, 15:47
I researched this very same issue 2 years ago and then asked advice from several people when I decided to build an AR. Back then New Frontier had complete lowers for sale at around $130. The consensus was "Don't buy one".

The best answer I remember well was "the AR was designed using an aluminum lower receiver and that's what you should use". Guys posted pictures for me of polymer lowers that had broken. One of their truly week points is where the buffer tube mounts. So, I stick with forged lower receivers. They aren't all that expensive now either. My Anderson Mfg. stripped lower was $57.50 with the shipping and I didn't have to pay my local FFL to do the transfer for me. If you buy one from a local gun shop they do the transfer for you.

As mentioned above, a couple guys in this forum have first hand experience with them and they did a good job of answering the question. What you do is up to you. Take their advice or don't take their advice. If I had bought one before having researched about them, I would have sold it and bought a forged one. Perhaps at some time in the future someone will come up with a polymer that is even stronger than hardened steel. Nobody has such a strong polymer now though.

Dstrbdmedic167
12 October 2014, 15:59
I might would consider one for a 22lr only such as my M&P 15-22, but not for a "standard" AR. If you look hard enough you can find fully assembled uppers from Aero, PSA and Anderson for less than $200 even around $150 for blemished models. For that price no point in considering one IMO

Nathan_Mack
12 October 2014, 16:13
Not saying they couldn't work and I've never owned one. But for a pistol AR? Hell. No. Not based on info I've read the last few years. Pistol ARs have more Gass pressure entering the upper/lower cavity, more violent bolt stop against the rear of the buffer tube (screwed to plastic lower) and other similar greater stresses.

Stick with aluminum receivers.

stihl2much4u
12 October 2014, 16:25
I did the jmt. Was fun and nerve racking to mill. I'm not too impressed with them when you can get a mil spec for 55$

Naytwan
12 October 2014, 16:35
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachments/outdoor-sports-recreation/654461d1329853807-new-polymer-ar-lower-plum-crazy-fail3.jpg

I've seen one to many picture like that for me to trust one.

FortTom
12 October 2014, 16:40
Sorry, the pic won't do, he wants real firsthand knowledge! How about that warranty? Was it 50/50, if it breaks you get both pieces?:P

UWone77
12 October 2014, 16:48
I don't know why people keep trying to justify their polymer purchases.

The main argument that Polymer Manufacturers seem to make is that they are just as strong as aluminum ones. Well if they are just as strong, why am I going to possibly pay the same or more than an aluminum one to save a couple of oz's maybe?

Good aluminum lowers that are in spec are and have been under $100. There is zero reason to buy a Poly.

AR-10
12 October 2014, 17:34
How much weight do you actually save by choosing plastic over aluminum?

An ounce or two? Not worth it to me, especially when you're losing strength and durability.

If I want to shave weight I'll do it via the barrel and handguard.

odmichael
12 October 2014, 21:57
Two folks here have spoken from experience. Do you think they're lying? Just asking. If all you're reading online is positive, then buy one. My question would be why? But that's besides the point, I've never owned one, exactly because of the answer Rob_s gave, why? There's better out there for the same or less money. I don't think you're going to get many more explicit details than what you got from Sgt. G or Moxy Dave? MD is a long time and well respected member here. The fact that he's broken several should stand for itself. If you're looking for someone to give you warm fuzzies about them, go back to the "internet" where you heard nothing but good things, then buy one. The reason that many of us here nevered bothered with one, is the horror stories (except in situations like a dedicated .22 rifle) about them. I'm a little amazed that two experienced people told you about their first hand experience with them breaking, and you retort with "I want the truth though, real first hand experience". sorry MD and Sgt. G, your version is now deemed false. With my best Jack Nicholson impersonation it sounds like "YOU WANT THE TRUTH, YOU WANT TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH"...geez some peoples kids..

I already have the lower though, my friend needed some money, so I bought it off him. I guess I'll sell it, since the consensus seems to be mostly negative. Thanks for the input guys, I may have made a grave mistake.

odmichael
12 October 2014, 22:03
So that said, anyone wanna buy a poly lower? We'll start the bidding at 3 cents. [BD]

Uffdaphil
12 October 2014, 23:13
So that said, anyone wanna buy a poly lower? We'll start the bidding at 3 cents. [BD]

I'll bid a buck. And save you postage too. Just promise to post a photo of post hammer smash.

VIPER 237
12 October 2014, 23:20
I already have the lower though, my friend needed some money, so I bought it off him. I guess I'll sell it, since the consensus seems to be mostly negative. Thanks for the input guys, I may have made a grave mistake.

Since you already have the lower, why not just try it? Generally a 7.5" pistol isn't exactly the gun you have next to your bed when things go bump in the night, so for a range/fun gun it would be a great host for a lower that you know may have issues with. If/when is fails, have a replacement ready.

odmichael
13 October 2014, 13:07
Since you already have the lower, why not just try it? Generally a 7.5" pistol isn't exactly the gun you have next to your bed when things go bump in the night, so for a range/fun gun it would be a great host for a lower that you know may have issues with. If/when is fails, have a replacement ready.

That's partly why I was building the 7.5, what do you keep bedside? I currently have a shotgun leaning up against my corner.

WHSmithIV
13 October 2014, 13:26

Since you do already have it and technically/legally it IS the gun, go ahead and use it. If I had it and it belonged to me, that's what I'd likely do even though I wouldn't choose to buy one.

Knowing now what has been provided for info for you, my recommendation is NOT to build a pistol from it UNLESS you put an adjustable gas block on it to bleed out gas so that just the amount necessary to have the action cycle gets into the upper receiver.

If you don't use an adjustable gas block building the gun, don't build a pistol with it.

If I had it (and selling it way out here in the middle of nowhere would be a bit of a pain in the butt..), I'd build a carbine/rifle with rifle length gas port. That would minimize the gas pressure going back to the bolt carrier and slamming into the buffer. I wouldn't ever want to really trust my life on the gun, but, that's how I'd build it. I'd likely even use an adjustable gas block even for a rifle length gas system if I had to use a polymer lower receiver.

RomeoTango
13 October 2014, 13:27
In my perosnal experience they aren't worth it. The last gun craze back during the election I bought 3 ati omni lowers. One went to my buddy who did the ffl transfer, my little brother got one, and I took the third. I got mine all put together and on an upper then put it in the safe. A week later, I took it out of the safe to go shoot it and it was broke clean at the extension. Sent it back to ati, they sent me a new one and the threads for the buffer tube were extremely sloppy and the upper I had wouldn't mate to the lower at all. Sent it back then they sent me another one. And if it wasn't my buddy handling the ffl transfers then I would have been out enough money to have gone with a forged or even billet to start with but all I could get at the time was poly. Ended up giving the ati to a friend and my brother and ffl buddy never messed with theirs. After looking on ati's website, they changed the design around some. I don't see any problems building a 22 on a poly lower but I wouldn't stake my life on one. Just my personal experience, and I'm sure there are other manufacturers out there who make a much better product.

JTS-M1A
13 October 2014, 20:15
I bought 2 New frontier LW-15 poly lowers for pretty cheap $100 for both. I was thinking of building one as a dedicated .22LR for a beater.
I was thinking of trading the other for an 80% lower.They reek of cheap & sucky to me.My 2¢

VIPER 237
13 October 2014, 20:22
That's partly why I was building the 7.5, what do you keep bedside? I currently have a shotgun leaning up against my corner.

I've got a 11.5" SBR and a Glock 17 until my VP9 gets here. There's also a Shotgun and a Glock 19 for the wife on her side.

UWone77
13 October 2014, 20:45
I'm with Viper, if you already have the poly lower, I'd just shoot the piss out of it, and report back.

harm
13 October 2014, 23:24
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/13/5f03dcbc31feb0e120aa2e6fa840b0e6.jpg

Saw this on FB...

odmichael
14 October 2014, 11:26
I'll pair it with my 16 inch psa upper and bring back a full report on exactly what happens.

FortTom
14 October 2014, 12:51
Damn, I bet that woke the guy up that was shooting the Bushmaster, better than a triple expresso!

LeonTheLion
18 October 2014, 20:31
I personally wouldn't use any poly receivers, might be ok for just a range gun, but for anything that's gonna demand reliability and trust in the weapon it wouldn't be a good choice. I've seen them crack, blow up, melt and so on.. also I've damaged standard lowers while in Afghanistan, so poly would not hold up in any kind of combat or defensive situation for very long

Same here.

Specially considering you can pick up a forged lower for $45-50 .... why mess with polymer?

rob_s
19 October 2014, 05:50
Shrek just broke a lower too. He said he's been using it for three years and just now broke it. Says he would do it the same way again. I canst imagine why, other than obstinance.

CoxeyDiesel
19 October 2014, 11:09
I wouldn't waste the time and money especially when there are so many good options out there.

DOKE
19 October 2014, 16:44
Same here.

Specially considering you can pick up a forged lower for $45-50 .... why mess with polymer?

Yep. Doesn't even make financial sense so why bother.

DOKE
19 October 2014, 16:45
Shrek just broke a lower too. He said he's been using it for three years and just now broke it. Says he would do it the same way again. I canst imagine why, other than obstinance.

Weight savings?

FortTom
19 October 2014, 17:16
Weight savings? Would you bet your life, to save 2oz.?

din
19 October 2014, 18:46
I'd like to go ahead an give a HELL NAY.