PDA

View Full Version : M-Lok or Key Mod?

TommyValkyrie
12 October 2014, 17:33
I have to say the I prefer M-lok. Just the way it looks, and the ease of installation.

DutyUse
12 October 2014, 17:37
I have to say the I prefer M-lok. Just the way it looks, and the ease of installation.

Both are good, more a matter of personal preference really. Sounds like you need two rifles ;)

CarbonScoring
12 October 2014, 20:00
I've got both, though I haven't used the M-lok rail yet. They seems to be more or less the same to me as far as ease of use goes. Keymod has the advantage at the moment, simply because it's been out longer. It will be a better comparison in a year or so, once manufacturers have had a chance to develop some M-lok products.

Fathom_Arms
12 October 2014, 20:22
I think you will see more manufactures going to M-LOK soon. It is much cheaper and easier to make M-LOK handguards.

FortTom
12 October 2014, 20:23
I've got both, though I haven't used the M-lok rail yet. They seems to be more or less the same to me as far as ease of use goes. Keymod has the advantage at the moment, simply because it's been out longer. It will be a better comparison in a year or so, once manufacturers have had a chance to develop some M-lok products.
I think you're right. I have two Keymods now, and will be using another on a Varmint rifle. I really like them, and for now, everything I need is available for them. I don't own a M-lok, but as soon as Magpul announced it, there was a list a mile long of folks that were supporting that format and would be making M-Lok accessories.

FT

TommyValkyrie
12 October 2014, 22:21
I think you will see more manufactures going to M-LOK soon. It is much cheaper and easier to make M-LOK handguards.

I heard that Magpul is going to start making accessories that mount directly to m-lok rails, without the rail section.

Both are good, more a matter of personal preference really. Sounds like you need two rifles ;)

I think you may be on to something!

Chevtec
13 October 2014, 05:03
I heard that Magpul is going to start making accessories that mount directly to m-lok rails, without the rail section.

That's pretty much the point of both systems. The rail sections were a necessary evil at first so rail-mounted accessories would still be of use to their owners. A mounting system for a mounting system leads to a weaker mounted part.

mustangfreek
13 October 2014, 05:13
I "read" over on ar15 where a magpul rep , had said recently that they have 20-25 m-lok products coming, there saying end of the year and before Shot next year....

rob_s
13 October 2014, 07:11
If one of the standards proves to be able to actually work as a QD solution, I think that one will become the VHS to the other's Betamax. While I don't need/want to be able to QD every single thing on the handguard, both the light and the VFG are things that I'd like to be able to pull off easier than I can with any Keymod or M-Lok mounts I'm aware of right this minute.

AaronP220
13 October 2014, 07:25

I hope that's true. I'm not really a fan of having to add a rail section to add a component. I much prefer a direct mount to the rail.

Chevtec
13 October 2014, 08:17
If one of the standards proves to be able to actually work as a QD solution, I think that one will become the VHS to the other's Betamax. While I don't need/want to be able to QD every single thing on the handguard, both the light and the VFG are things that I'd like to be able to pull off easier than I can with any Keymod or M-Lok mounts I'm aware of right this minute.

Refer to BCM's keymod vert grip.

Pyzik
13 October 2014, 08:28
I'm have a keymod rail now, haven't played with MLOK, though I too prefer the MLOK look a little better.

If MLOK is as simple as keymod, either will be a great choice. I don't think I could ever go back to trying to put a screw through a hole, into another hole inside a tube with another tube (barrel) in the way... Haha.
What a PITA.

rob_s
13 October 2014, 08:34
Refer to BCM's keymod vert grip.

Have it.

Unsat re: QD

SINNER
13 October 2014, 08:59
Picatinny FTW. Save me from the bullshit add on rails to install 99% of the components I own or are available. Use a standard drilling pattern for add on rails to satisfy the smooth rail demand and be done. Every couple years a new attachment method will be paraded out with much hoopla and yet the number one seller will still be add on Pic rails. Both these designs still have 0 potential for a solid tool-less attachment/removal method and that is a huge disadvantage IMO.

CarbonScoring
13 October 2014, 09:09
Frankly I prefer M-lok simply for the look. I only need to attach a vertical grip and maybe a light mount, so most of the rail is exposed. I'm not a fan of panels on my handguards which leaves me no reason for the rest of the rail to look like it can accept attachments.

Another reason I love my Geissele Mk4.

Chevtec
13 October 2014, 09:41
Have it.
Unsat re: QD

Toolless. QD. Keymod. I'm not sure it will get easier than that. How do you like it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNLE3Wt0qXk

Nathan_Mack
13 October 2014, 10:00
A keymod system is just a glorified Troy Alpha rail system, IMO.

As to the M-LOK system, it requires less material, less tooling and less time to machine one than probably a keymod, and definitely a rail with picatinny madness all over it. Less material...less tooling time...less expensive? Nope. Geissele makes them. So they cost MORE than other rails that require more time/material to make. Go figure.

Not saying I wouldn't own one, but either your accessory attachment has to 1, come with M-LOK compatabile mounts or 2, you'll have to procure mounts from ARMS, LaRue, etc at even more cost to you. OR, to sort of slap the face of progress, you'll just end up attaching M-LOK compatible rail sections to the damn thing because ALL of your Steamlights and Surefires and everything else already have a picatinny rail clamp build on to them.

Keymod or M-LOK, I think SLR Rifleworks has the design down pat. Smooth rail with [something] that allows accessory rail attachments but has a 2" rail machined into the rail at front bottom for a bipod. Beautiful. They also make one without machined in rails.

Even though I despise Troy Industries, their alpha rail is hard to beat. I recognize the keymod and M-LOK is designed to allow attachments without removing the handguard, but how frequently are you changing shit?

rob_s
13 October 2014, 10:39
Toolless. QD. Keymod. I'm not sure it will get easier than that. How do you like it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNLE3Wt0qXk

Mine is nowhere near that easy to turn. That being a "first shot" as well as something that was probably mounted/dismounted several hundred times at the show, it's obviously much looser than the one I have.

harm
13 October 2014, 10:57
Funny, seems this debate is cropping up everywhere lately.

I'm not sure which becomes the standard. I'm certainly happy to see a move away from the cheese grater foreends.

Since I'm a light junkie I'm interested to see what the mounting system from Surefire/Streamlight end up looking like.
Of course w versatile lights like an X300U not sure of the desire to modify them in a way that makes them AR specific.

RomeoTango
13 October 2014, 14:43
I really like ALG's minimalistic approach to the mlok. The only things I would want are a front sight, light, and a grip. Dont need anything else and more rail is just more weight.

CarbonScoring
13 October 2014, 19:40
Another good option for ultra lightweight M-lok is the MI rail.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1266

SabBumNim
14 October 2014, 09:15
I have the bcm kmr rail. Haven't tried an m-lock rail but the kmr is so light and strong I have to recommend it.

rob_s
14 October 2014, 10:11
Another good option for ultra lightweight M-lok is the MI rail.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1266

I sorely wish they would make that top-front rail section a couple of segments longer such that it would fit an X300 and a fold-down front sight. I'd pop on one pretty quick if they did.

that handguard does bring up one other advantage I see for the Keymod right now, and that is whether or not there are any sort of plastic covers for MLOK? I dislike bare metal, and have the Noveske covers on my KMR which I think is a pretty nice combo.

CarbonScoring
14 October 2014, 18:53
I finally got to install my Parallax Tactical M-lok rail this morning. I put 1 metal Magpul section on the bottom for a vertical grip and 1 polymer section on the front left for a light. Both were very easy to install.

Other than the shape of the holes on the handguard, both Keymod and M-lok seem to be equally easy to install. With the M-lok you need to make sure the nuts are turned so they fit in the slots, but you also can drop the rail sections right where you want, rather than slide them to their final resting position.

In the end, I'd say they will both work just fine, be equally easy to use, and eventually have decent accessories. Just a matter of which looks better.

GOST
14 October 2014, 19:06
I'd probably go keymod right now just due to more mounting options due currently.

rob_s
15 October 2014, 04:43
Well that'll help...

http://soldiersystems.net/2014/10/14/magpul-industries-new-m-lok-accessories-available/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

CarbonScoring
15 October 2014, 05:49
Saw those on the Magpul website. They look good, though I don't really have the need for any of them. Hopefully it spurs other companies on.

rob_s
15 October 2014, 06:55
f they come up with some sort of plastic cover, I'd try an MLOK handguard. It's the last thing I think is missing from the roster.

On another note...

Looking at the pics on Soldier Systems made me think of something. Anyone else notice that quite a few companies MLOK and Keymod handguards are really just variations on their existing products? They are either quad-rail handguards with the rails machined off (or, blanked off in the extrusion) which still gives you the T-shape, or they are smooth-side handguards that simply have the new system machined into them in place of the previous slots/holes.

Notable exceptions on the Keymod side would appear to be the BCM KMR, Noveske NSR, and KAC URX4, all of which share a very similar profile.

CarbonScoring
15 October 2014, 07:03
I did notice that the Geissele Mk8 looks remarkably like my Mk4. So much that I may try an M-lok rail section on my Mk4. I was able to use a standard Magpul MOE rail section to attach a vertical grip.

I'm guessing it didn't take much to change the Mk4 to a Mk8.

As for Keymod, you can add th lightweight Parallax Tactical rail to the list of similar looking rails.

titanse05
15 October 2014, 18:08
Magpul is going to release 5 more M-LOK accessories next week and then 4 more items prior to SHOT. From what I've gathered on other sites a handstop, AFG and some sort of rail covers are coming. I think it's safe to assume that Magpul will be porting all of their accessories to M-LOK.

I've had both systems and prefer M-LOK for the reversible accessories and aesthetics.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

titanse05
27 October 2014, 07:12
In case anyone missed it, last Thursday Magpul released more M-LOK accessories but nothing all that exciting. Some more rail sections, another cantilever mount, MOE adapters and mounting hardware.

More items to come before the end of the year.

egress81
27 October 2014, 10:04
Saw pics on facebook from magpul for an MP-5 M-lok handguard.

WHSmithIV
27 October 2014, 12:30
Keep in mind that both Keymod and MLOK were designed as systems for warehouse shelving. The concepts were then ported to handguards and some other applications. MLOK is the successor to the Keymod shelving. Though I can see an advantage to having either on a handguard, most items for attaching to guns are still rail attached. it would be nice to see things like foregrips made with keymod or MLOK attachments so that there wouldn't need to be a rail section used. I'm sure they'll come out eventually as maybe will things like bipods or bipod mounts, light mounts and perhaps lasers.

rob_s
27 October 2014, 12:37
Keep in mind that both Keymod and MLOK were designed as systems for warehouse shelving. The concepts were then ported to handguards and some other applications. MLOK is the successor to the Keymod shelving. Though I can see an advantage to having either on a handguard, most items for attaching to guns are still rail attached. it would be nice to see things like foregrips made with keymod or MLOK attachments so that there wouldn't need to be a rail section used. I'm sure they'll come out eventually as maybe will things like bipods or bipod mounts, light mounts and perhaps lasers.

Sort of.

I'm still a fan of picatinny rails, by and large. But you missed a step. Over the last several years there has been a move to tubular, slick-sided handguards. The thinking went that they allowed you to place a rail section only where you needed it while maintaining a narrower overall grip without the need for covers to protect one from the sharp edges of the pic rail. Installation "wherever you want" turned out to be less than promised, as the backing nuts required to attach these rail sections could be difficult to get into place, and often obstructed by things like gas blocks and gas tubes under the handguard. So, along comes two systems for attaching rail sections with captive nuts to make the installation easier. As a side benefit, some accessories like a VFG could be attached directly to the new system(s). Additionally, the promise of not needing covers for sharp edges may have been true, but many people (myself included) heated up these tubes enough to be uncomfortable. The new system(s) allow covers to be installed direct-attach as well.

And, just so you know, there are at least two Keymod VFGs out there now, and one MLOK VFG. The latter was what pushed me over the edge, along with the promise of covers, to buy a Keymod handguard, and more recently to try an MLOK handguard.

WHSmithIV
27 October 2014, 12:46
I like picatinny rails also. I can see some advantage to Keymod and Mlok systems as well though.

titanse05
27 October 2014, 16:50
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6522Magpul M-LOK offset light mount

Kopis
28 October 2014, 06:22
Ive got the quad rails on my AR pistol and blackout rifle. My long range AR has the JP VTAC handguard which is fine for it. i just put a noveske 14.5" keymod upper on my CQB and really like the slim profile it has.

I have started shooting with my forearm extended and thumb over the rail. I dont care for all that heavy stuff on the end of my gun but that's personal preference. If you do want to attach lights, lasers, foregrips etc to it, quad rails are definitely the way to go.

cybertek
28 October 2014, 09:52
Might try the M-Lok with my next build or the SL hand-guard when it is available in mid-length.. Right now everything else I own is Key-Mod.

markm
30 October 2014, 09:10
I've not seen or tried anything M-LOK yet. I'm sure it's a good system too. But I've been running Keymod for a few months now and with Arisakadefense.com coming out with some solid Keymod mounts, there's finally some boost back into the Keymod movement.

All equal though.... the KMR is lighter than anything out there, and as cheap or cheaper than most alternatives. So it does have a couple of advantages in its favor.

Slippers
30 October 2014, 10:41
The one argument I always see people throw around is that M-Lok is cheaper to manufacture. Well...the truth is, not really. If you make handguards, yeah, you save a little bit of machine time because you don't have to run a tool around each slot to do the reverse bevel like KeyMod requires.

As an accessory manufacturer, guess which costs more to make parts for right now? M-Lok. The nuts cost more. The screws are larger, meaning the design of the part has to be different, and generally 10-24 screws cost more than the 8-32 screws used with KeyMod.

Another example:

BCM KMR 13" is $270.

Geissele Mk8 is $300.

It's not an apples to apples comparison since they have different goals in their design, but those two handguards are considered by most to be the "best" of each interface, and the KeyMod handguard costs less.

From a strength perspective, M-Lok has more surface area and is also flat against the back side of the handguard. KeyMod nuts are tapered. If you apply enough force, the KeyMod nut is going to spread the aluminum of the handguard and rip through. I've seen it personally. At the same time, though, it takes a LOT of force to do this, and usually stems from the part not being thought out very well when it was made.

My recommendation? Don't use a vertical fore grip that is only attached with one screw. It's a recipe for damage to your handguard, regardless of the interface.

rob_s
30 October 2014, 11:14
Why compare apples and orangutans when we don't have to?

MI makes a handguard that is available in both MLOK and Keymod, with the MLOK version being less expensive.

MI Lightweight KeyMod Series One Piece Free Float Handguard, 12-inch Rifle $209.95 (http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1264)

MI Lightweight M-LOK Series One Piece Free Float Handguard, 12-inch Rifle $189.95 (http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1266)

in fact, they make two otherwise identical models. here's the other one.

MI SSK-KeyMod Series One Piece Free Float Handguard, 12-inch Rifle $199.95 (http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1211)

MI SSM M-LOK Series One Piece Free Float Handguard, 12-inch Rifle $179.95 (http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1263)

Slippers
30 October 2014, 11:25
rob_s,

I see your MI handguards and raise you SLR handguards:

12" solo lite keymod $204.99 http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_106_70&product_id=93

12" solo lite m-lok $214.99 http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_106_70&product_id=112

rob_s
30 October 2014, 12:41
rob_s,

I see your MI handguards and raise you SLR handguards:

12" solo lite keymod $204.99 http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_106_70&product_id=93

12" solo lite m-lok $214.99 http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_106_70&product_id=112

No.

13" SOLO LITE HANDGUARD-MLOK

12" SOLO LITE SERIES KEYMOD HANDGUARD

Slippers
30 October 2014, 13:08
No.

13" SOLO LITE HANDGUARD-MLOK

12" SOLO LITE SERIES KEYMOD HANDGUARD

Oops! Copied the wrong one.

But my point still stands. The 12" M-Lok is 209.99, compared to 204.99 for the KeyMod. Same cost increase on most of the other SLR handguards for M-Lok over KeyMod. So there goes your argument, regardless. :)

rob_s
30 October 2014, 13:18
Oops! Copied the wrong one.

But my point still stands. The 12" M-Lok is 209.99, compared to 204.99 for the KeyMod. Same cost increase on most of the other SLR handguards for M-Lok over KeyMod. So there goes your argument, regardless. :)

and I provided a different option refuting yours that compared two entirely different handguards. Let's call it a wash.

The point here is that it doesn't matter. We're talking about pennies in the grand scheme. it's horseshit. Consumers aren't going to use that as a basis for their choices, I can promise you that. They'll be too busy following whatever celebrity trainer is using whatever part they wanted to like to begin with. The cost only comes into play when we're talking about the crapco market vs. the boutique market, and there's no system that is going to bridge that gap.

Neither system is really fully flushed anyway. Why one company charges more for one system than another may change over time depending on a variety of factors.

CarbonScoring
30 October 2014, 21:20
You also need to take into account that 1 company may charge less for the more popular model (because they can make them in larger qty.), while another may charge less for the less popular (to try to boost sales). Since we know nothing about why any company is charging what they do, it's hard to make assumptions. What I do see though is both options are similarly priced.

rob_s
31 October 2014, 02:29
You also need to take into account that 1 company may charge less for the more popular model (because they can make them in larger qty.), while another may charge less for the less popular (to try to boost sales). Since we know nothing about why any company is charging what they do, it's hard to make assumptions. What I do see though is both options are similarly priced.

I emailed SLR and asked them about the price difference. They said that they make less of the MLOK (which goes to your point above) and that it's more machine time (which I find hard to believe).

In either case, we're talking about a $5 difference.

Slippers
31 October 2014, 03:56
Yeah, that does seem odd. From a machining perspective cutting the KeyMod or M-Lok slots are comparable until you have to come back through with another tool to do the KeyMod chamfer on the inside.

One thing it looks like SLR does is a chamfer on the M-Lok slots on the outside. This would be a tool change and add more time, but you'd be able to cut it much faster compared to the smaller tool that has to fit through the KeyMod slots to cut the reverse chamfer.