PDA

View Full Version : Priorites when going suppressed!

xAZxE30x
13 October 2014, 14:53
Hi guys,

I was wondering what all your top priorities were when choosing a suppressor?

I am looking to purchase my first can soon and keep going back and forth on what exactly I am looking for. It will be going on 10.5" MK18 clone and OAL is something of higher priority to me. but I also want quiet, that's the point, right? ha

what are some of your priorities? looking to see some other opinions so I can base my purchase

thanks!

//Austin

El Cid
13 October 2014, 15:06
They will never be movie quiet, so my number one factor is minimal POI shift.

xAZxE30x
13 October 2014, 15:09
They will never be movie quiet, so my number one factor is minimal POI shift.

good answer! yes, I am not looking for trying to get movie quiet, just quieter :)

UWone77
13 October 2014, 15:57
Shooting a 10.5" with a can is still going to be loud.

Instead of f'ing loud, it'll just be loud with a can. One thing to keep in mind, is most all suppressors are the same design, a baffle stack, so most of them sound pretty similar to the shooters ear. I think AAC offers some of the best blend of performance/price.

OSS is basically the only company I can think of not using a traditional baffle stack design, so that reduces the amount of gas in the face. If you can, you should try shooting someone else's gun with a can and see if that's really the route you want to take.

gatordev
14 October 2014, 13:27
Obviously we can't tell you your priorities, but the basics that were on my list (in order) were:

-minimal POI shift, or, barring that, repeatable POI shift.
-Weight
-Flexibility in mounting on more than one gun (because I foolishly thought one can would meet my desires).
-Sound reduction.

The last two are kind of tied on importance for me.

xAZxE30x
14 October 2014, 15:04
Obviously we can't tell you your priorities, but the basics that were on my list (in order) were:

-minimal POI shift, or, barring that, repeatable POI shift.
-Weight
-Flexibility in mounting on more than one gun (because I foolishly thought one can would meet my desires).
-Sound reduction.

The last two are kind of tied on importance for me.

thank you, that seems to be in line with what I have gathered from various boards. I definitely plan on running it on other guns of mine so also taking the mounting system and price into play.

Shooting a 10.5" with a can is still going to be loud.

Instead of f'ing loud, it'll just be loud with a can. One thing to keep in mind, is most all suppressors are the same design, a baffle stack, so most of them sound pretty similar to the shooters ear. I think AAC offers some of the best blend of performance/price.

OSS is basically the only company I can think of not using a traditional baffle stack design, so that reduces the amount of gas in the face. If you can, you should try shooting someone else's gun with a can and see if that's really the route you want to take.

Thank you! Yeah OSS has some pretty crazy designs!

I have shot a friends 10.5" suppressed so I have an idea of what it will sound like. I am not looking for it to be silent but just reducing the noise. I personally don't find my gun to be all that loud so anything less will still be a plus.

UWone77
15 October 2014, 13:55
What models are you looking at?

VIPER 237
15 October 2014, 14:26
If you are looking for quality compact designs the Silencerco Saker K or the Griffin Armament Recce 5 would be my choices, slight edge to the Recce 5 for less weight.

xAZxE30x
15 October 2014, 15:02
If you are looking for quality compact designs the Silencerco Saker K or the Griffin Armament Recce 5 would be my choices, slight edge to the Recce 5 for less weight.

I have not looking into the Recce 5, I will now. I am on a waiting list for the Saker K right now just in case I go that route

What models are you looking at?

I have been looking at the Saker762, Saker K, Specwar K, and SF 762Mini

I am in the process of sourcing parts for a 300BLK build, hence wanting a 762 suppressor mainly. I would like to have a dedicated can for each but right now funds are only allowing 1 can purchase, unless I were to go with a specwar k and 762 specwar, then I could do both. So I am leaning towards the Saker762

nubs101
15 October 2014, 19:30
It has said before it will only be so quiet. I prefer to look at POI shift and weight. If I were to buy another I would be looking at the Saker. Personally I am not a big fan of the Mini suppressor only because I feel you give up a lot more than what you get out of the compact size. Yes they are cool and short but for just a little bit more length you get a lot more noise reduction.

Former11B
15 October 2014, 22:02
I look at several things. I do consider dB reduction but it's not the end all, be all (but it can be a swing decision all other things being equal), I look at the company's customer service reputation and how well they deal with warranty/non warranty repairs as well as willingness to go above and beyond for the customer, and the likelihood the company will be around for the foreseeable future. I look at design (weight, length, attachment) based on the host Im suppressing, and I look at performance of the can (POI shift, decrease in accuracy, etc).

For what it's worth, I've been looking for another 5.56 can...something lightweight for my precision/match (whatever you wanna call it) AR and the Griffin Armament Recce 5 (as previously mentioned) fits my requirements perfectly.

VIPER 237
15 October 2014, 22:20
I have not looking into the Recce 5, I will now. I am on a waiting list for the Saker K right now just in case I go that route

I have been looking at the Saker762, Saker K, Specwar K, and SF 762Mini

I am in the process of sourcing parts for a 300BLK build, hence wanting a 762 suppressor mainly. I would like to have a dedicated can for each but right now funds are only allowing 1 can purchase, unless I were to go with a specwar k and 762 specwar, then I could do both. So I am leaning towards the Saker762

The SF mini isn't hearing safe on a shorter barrel unless using subsonic 300blk rounds. And I'd look at the Griffin recce 7 instead of the 5 as it is the 7.62 can, I've owned one for almost a year and it's been an excellent can. The Saker's are nice but they are heavy pigs.

xAZxE30x
17 October 2014, 12:40
The SF mini isn't hearing safe on a shorter barrel unless using subsonic 300blk rounds. And I'd look at the Griffin recce 7 instead of the 5 as it is the 7.62 can, I've owned one for almost a year and it's been an excellent can. The Saker's are nice but they are heavy pigs.

I really only want the SF mini if it is going to be mainly for 300BLK.. but I am building on a sub 10" barrel so going with a regular sized can really wouldn't bother the OAL much at all. I will take a look in to the Griffins.. seeing lots of positive stuff

UWone77
17 October 2014, 12:47
I really only want the SF mini if it is going to be mainly for 300BLK.. but I am building on a sub 10" barrel so going with a regular sized can really wouldn't bother the OAL much at all. I will take a look in to the Griffins.. seeing lots of positive stuff

I own a 762 SOCOM Mini. It's not good for 300 like some other cans. For whatever reason it's not optimized for 300. I would look elsewhere.

xAZxE30x
17 October 2014, 13:04
I own a 762 SOCOM Mini. It's not good for 300 like some other cans. For whatever reason it's not optimized for 300. I would look elsewhere.

Thank you for that great advice. Its nice to read hands on information. What do you use your mini primarily for? How many other cans do you have? I see most people say a mini purchase should be only a fun purchase and never your first

gatordev
17 October 2014, 13:49
Thank you for that great advice. Its nice to read hands on information. What do you use your mini primarily for? How many other cans do you have? I see most people say a mini purchase should be only a fun purchase and never your first

FWIW, I have a 7.62 Mini SOCOM and it's "good enough" for me if I only had one can. Admittedly, I don't have a huge round count on mine yet, but so far I've run it on my SR-25 and a MK12. The .308 still has a bit of a snap to it. The MK12 sounds a lot like my legacy -212 (5.56) to my ear, so I don't notice a big difference. I've also shot it on a SR-15 for 20-30 rounds, and again, I didn't notice a big difference compared to a 5.56 can. On the SR-25, it's still quieter and "smoother" than without the can (I'm running a brake on it) so it's still improving my shooting experience in my mind.

I understand the argument about not making the Mini your first, but I would just make sure you know/understand what those people's priorities are that are saying that. However, if .300 Blackout is your goal (and I have no experience with that round), then sounds like UWone has some good gouge.

UWone77
17 October 2014, 13:59

I have 13 cans total.

If I knew someone that knew what they were talking about to guide me when I first started on cans, I'd have a fraction of that total. Honestly, the SOCOM line in my opinion is a bit overrated. Maybe if I was a door kicker overseas that needed every ounce of performance and someone else was paying the bill sure.

However, to me the SOCOM line doesn't sound any quieter or have less blow back than my Legacy Can.

I have several full size 762 can's so I wanted to try out a 762 mini. I also had a bunch of uppers with SOCOM muzzle devices, so it made sense in my mind at the time. Like gator mentioned shooting 762 suppressed has a bit of a snap to it. The mini does fine on .308, but .308 is going to be loud no matter what. I think what people have to keep in mind is, is that there is no perfect can for all around use. You have to decide what round you're going to shoot the most and work around that.

There are lots of good suppressor manufacturers out there.

gatordev
17 October 2014, 14:09
However, to me the SOCOM line doesn't sound any quieter or have less blow back than my Legacy Can.

I have several full size 762 can's so I wanted to try out a 762 mini. I also had a bunch of uppers with SOCOM muzzle devices, so it made sense in my mind at the time. Like gator mentioned shooting 762 suppressed has a bit of a snap to it. The mini does fine on .308, but .308 is going to be loud no matter what. I think what people have to keep in mind is, is that there is no perfect can for all around use. You have to decide what round you're going to shoot the most and work around that.

It's funny, I jumped on the SOCOM bandwagon because I could afford to and wanted to grab something in case 41p came to be. Since it's also compatible with the legacy mounts, it seemed like a no-brainer and now (once it/they get out of jail) I'll be set for a very long time without having to worry about shooting out a suppressor. But at the end of the day, I'm not sure I notice any difference between legacy and the SOCOM either. But in the meantime, I can continue to abuse my legacy -212 on my little MK18 and not feel too bad about it...I just can't bring myself to put a brake on that upper due to annoyance.