PDA

View Full Version : Help with AR-10, Free float rails, and KX3

FOXHOUNDUSMC
8 October 2008, 06:44
HELLO ALL!!! This is my first post, so if this post is misplaced and belongs in a different forum, I apologize.

Anywho, I'm in Iraq right now and getting back in 2 weeks. I'm gonna be putting together an AR-10 rifle using a noveske Leonidas upper (12.5" bbl) with the KX3 flash hider. The snag I'm running into is that I want to build it with a full length railed free float handguard to partially shroud the KX3, but I'm having the hardest time finding dimensions to see what system would work and what would not.

I'm currently considering the Superior Weapons Systems E-1 and the Patriot Ordnance Factory P-12X Predator. Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated and I'm willing to consider other models as long as they are compatable.

NO, I don't NEED a full length handguard, but I personally think the ARs with shrouded KX3s look AWESOME, and the extra rail real estate would be nice. At this point the dollar value is NOT a concern as I've saved up plenty of $$$ from being overseas.

Pictures of build examples would also be GREALTY appreciated as they would help me choice one I truly like.

Stickman
8 October 2008, 16:46
First and foremost, welcome back from the box, even if the official welcome is a little on the early side.

Another AR10 rail to consider is the Daniel Defense. I will dig around and see if I can figure out the dimensions to the DD and .308 KX3.

FOXHOUNDUSMC
8 October 2008, 20:57
Thanx. I did look at the DD lite 12.0, but I think during my web-snooping, I found that the KX3 would not only not fit, but also since the rail is 12" long, and the barrel I'm going for will be 12.5" w/o the KX3, the DD 12.0 would not shroud the KX3 like I'm looking for. I contacted Noveske about the SWS rails that come on their uppers (they have a 14" version) but the rep claimed they would not work out in a shrouded configuration, but the SWS website lists a slightly shorter (but still longer than the barrel) model and I can't find any more information about dimensions, or if possibly I could use this SWS (I think it was like 12.89" or something like that on the website) to overlap the flat recessed portion at the rear of the KX3. That would work for me. Thanx in advance for anything you can dig up.