PDA

View Full Version : Which BCG?

Accountable1
14 October 2014, 13:14
I am finishing up my Noveske Infidel build and need a BCG... I was have heard good things about BCM and Spikes NiB.. Does anyone have experience with the Noveske/ Rubber City BCGs? I don't know what to go with and could use some help.

Fathom_Arms
14 October 2014, 13:49
Try our Enhanced Nitride BCG. We haven't let down anyone yet!

Ride4frnt
14 October 2014, 13:53
Fathom BCG's seem nice. Haven't used one. Never had a problem with my WMD NiB BCG's. Rainier phosphate is gtg, and I just bought a AIM surplus NiB for $100

DutyUse
14 October 2014, 15:39
Fathom gets my vote

toolboxluis00200
14 October 2014, 16:47
i have a spike BCG so far it is running really well
i all so have a Umbrella Corporation BCG and so far no issues

toolboxluis00200
14 October 2014, 16:49
Fathom BCG's seem nice. Haven't used one. Never had a problem with my WMD NiB BCG's. Rainier phosphate is gtg, and I just bought a AIM surplus NiB for $100
did you get the GEN I or GEN II ?? from AIM
i herd that there GEN I had issues

Ride4frnt
14 October 2014, 17:14
did you get the GEN I or GEN II ?? from AIM
i herd that there GEN I had issues

The new one that thy are selling for $99. Just got it a few weeks ago so I assume gen 2.

AIM on top, WMD on bottom.
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/226C0456-774A-42CC-AB75-EFC571A9CB94_zpswc9dudpu.jpg

odmichael
14 October 2014, 17:23
Both Spikes and BCM have served me well, zero issues with either. You can't go wrong with both of those companies.

FortTom
14 October 2014, 18:17
I have Spikes, Fail Zero, BCM and Raineer Arms, The Raineer arms has been the only one to fail me yet. For a break in, it was well lubed, and seeing how Ni(B) the nickel in the mix will turn blueish purple, just like chrome pipes on a bike, mine looked completely black over half of the bolt. It also sticks, and I've put others in to see if the same conditions occurred in the same gun. The Ranieer Arms (at least the one I got, is going in the garbage, and I will be purchasing another Spikes or Fail Zero. I don't know who makes theirs (RA's) but mines a piece of crap. I'm not going to do a back and forth email campaign, sending it back for inspection or whatever. It just isn't worth my time or effort. My modus operandi, unless it's something very expensive, is just live and learn and don't buy from there again.

Now, I may be the only person on this forum that that has happened too. But with today's quality control engineers, and numerous testing, rigorous SPC, etc, it should have never got out of the plant. Your experience may be just fine. They (RA) are known for their quality parts, so make of it what you will.

FT

UWone77
14 October 2014, 18:19
I have Spikes, Fail Zero, BCM and Raineer Arms, The Raineer arms has been the only one to fail me yet. For a break in, it was well lubed, and seeing how Ni(B) the nickel in the mix will turn blueish purple, just like chrome pipes on a bike, mine looked completely black over half of the bolt. It also sticks, and I've put others in to see if the same conditions occurred in the same gun. The Ranieer Arms (at least the one I got, is going in the garbage, and I will be purchasing another Spikes or Fail Zero. I don't know who makes theirs (RA's) but mines a piece of crap. I'm not going to do a back and forth email campaign, sending it back for inspection or whatever. It just isn't worth my time or effort. My modus operandi, unless it's something very expensive, is just live and learn and don't buy from there again.

Now, I may be the only person on this forum that that has happened too. But with today's quality control engineers, and numerous testing, rigorous SPC, etc, it should have never got out of the plant. Your experience may be just fine. They (RA) are known for their quality parts, so make of it what you will.

FT

FT,

Don't trash it. Send it over, and I'll make sure you get another one or a phosphate one. They had a bad batch.

RiverRat
14 October 2014, 19:32
I don't know what to go with and could use some help.

BCM is the gold standard, in my opinion. You would not regret purchasing it - I sure didn't, either of the 2 times (so far) that I have

I also have both NiB and nitrided BCGs from AIM. Both have been flawless and I trust those folks to stand behind their products - but I still lean towards BCM when reliability is the objective. FWIW, I prefer the nitride version personally - but I freely admit my preference for this finish on most parts.

I seem to remember RCA having some early problems and that their response left me feeling a little cold towards the company. As far as the relationship with Noveske adding credibility for RCA's product.....well, I'm not exactly perfectly confident on that front either. I think Mr. Dillion has some work ahead of him if he wants to get that company back to pre-disaster status.

JGifford
15 October 2014, 05:46
I am finishing up my Noveske Infidel build and need a BCG... I was have heard good things about BCM and Spikes NiB.. Does anyone have experience with the Noveske/ Rubber City BCGs? I don't know what to go with and could use some help.

I would go with V7's QPQ BCG for a QPQ "standard" unit.
I would choose Fathom Arms BCG for an "enhanced" type unit, also QPQ.
I would choose a Colt BCG for the phosphate "known quantity already proven" unit.

All run $200 +- $25.

JGifford
15 October 2014, 06:24
BCM is the gold standard, in my opinion. You would not regret purchasing it - I sure didn't, either of the 2 times (so far) that I have

I also have both NiB and nitrided BCGs from AIM. Both have been flawless and I trust those folks to stand behind their products - but I still lean towards BCM when reliability is the objective. FWIW, I prefer the nitride version personally - but I freely admit my preference for this finish on most parts.

I seem to remember RCA having some early problems and that their response left me feeling a little cold towards the company. As far as the relationship with Noveske adding credibility for RCA's product.....well, I'm not exactly perfectly confident on that front either. I think Mr. Dillion has some work ahead of him if he wants to get that company back to pre-disaster status.

I'll shed a little light on Noveske, as much as I can...I know this thread is not about Noveske, but I feel like the BCG thing has been hashed out pretty much, and in other threads, so I'll deviate a bit, here, and hope the mods don't frown too hard on it.

Noveske had a rough transitional period when John passed away. Not only did they have a bad time of restructuring the company, but for whatever reasons (lets not speculate, or point fingers, it does not good and the outcome is the same), some of the leading minds there also split off at that time to form V7. Not only did they lose the person who started the company, they lost others who helped start the company. They lost a fair amount of innovative minds.

To compound this issue, Noveske didn't make any chips aside from barrels. They had their uppers and lowers machined out of house, anodizing out of house, etc. etc. etc. Next to nothing actually came from Noveske themselves. They simply spec'ed, assembled, and sold.

Things were hectic, and to top it all off, they got some out of spec parts around that time, and they slipped through QA/QC. It happens. Not only that, but their CS at the time was overburdened, and in the wake of what was going on internally, CS claims were not handled the best, in my opinion. To top THAT all off, demand for product was at an all-time high. The Newtown shooting and other events around that time made sure that even junk rifles like DPMS couldn't be kept on shelves at any price.

So what happened? Bad product slipped out. Poor CS pissed people off. Part of the brain trust left. John Noveske had died.

What was the result? Noveske made a few videos with some tits (which, really, while I don't have the honor of having known John Novekse, I do know those who do, and all things told, he loved to have a good time, so while it seems a bit shoddy on the outside, yeah, it was a pretty HONEST tribute video to the man. I respect that, but as a company, it sent the message "We don't care anymore about product...BUT TITS! BUY OUR SHIT! At least, that's what it said to me, YMMV)

So what has changed? What is the result of all of this?

Well, several projects that the V7 braintrust was working on got pushed back, obviously. A few* angry customers had to be properly satisfied, and the company had to clean up its image from a flailing has-been to a strong and reliable "is and will-be".

***Tim Dillon was contacted months ago, and it led up to his being hired on as CEO of Noveske. Mr. Dillon has run (successfully) STI, and Brownells divisions. He understand quality product and customer service are what drive long-term success. Also, he has an OAF beard, which doesn't hurt the cause!

***VLTOR is a great company, but not known for hitting deadlines, as many of you who have wanted their stuff in the past are aware. Also, Noveske was tired of getting out of spec parts from vendors. They were tired of people complaining about purple anodizing (and rightfully, on both accounts). What did they do? They started cutting metal. The Gen 2 lower is Forged. It was very costly to make. It also wasn't as easy to control the dimensions of, either. The Gen 3 lower and Gen 3 upper are both billet. We can argue about directional strength and grain all day long, but at the end of the day, I have not seen a broken 7075 T6 billet upper or lower that doesn't have a story behind it... Manufacturing these items in-house, and then cerakoting them has solved the issue with getting out of spec parts, and non-matching anodize (which matters to people at Noveske's price-point). The quality is well in-hand. I spoke to one individual who was responsible for taking an order of 87 Gen III Noveskes. Each and every one of them runs like a top. That's pretty darn good, in my book.

***Noveske began reaching out to customers who fell between the cracks during this period. I personally am one of them. I got burned as hard as anyone could have. I had a Gen II SBR with an out of spec lower. It would not accept anything but the upper it came with, and another VLTOR upper from the same batch that my dealer had. I swapped him when I picked the SBR up (identical Noveske uppers, just one was 10.5" and no SB, which I wanted that one). I thought nothing of it as THAT SPECIFIC upper fit. Then I found out it was out of spec when NO OTHER UPPER would fit on it, including over half a dozen Daniel Defense uppers. Daniel Defense even measured MY NOVESKE LOWER and told me SOL, we can't mate an upper to a lower that out of spec. So, I was "meh". I called Noveske and pretty much got a cold shoulder. Well, I had an upper that worked. I thought. So I went and shot it. It jammed copiously. I couldn't make it through a mag without 3-4 FTF's. The POI shift suppressed was 6-8 MOA. It was a total soup sandwich.

FFWD a few months, and Noveske reached out to me, asked for the SBR back, and has completely replaced it. All of it. They paid for a new tax-stamp. I paid shipping to Noveske (they would have if I had asked), and that's it. They have kept me 100% in the loop every step of the way. Their CS has been nothing short of phenomenal.

So don't think I'm a Noveske customer because "I got lucky", or "I was drinking buddies with John Noveske", or any other crap. I am a Noveske customer because they had a rough time, they sent me crap, they gave me crap, and then they apologized, took FULL responsibility, and are fixing the situation the best way they can without hopping in a time machine. Tim Dillon is a solid leader. The people at Noveske are happy and positive about everything going on. The Gen 3's are hitting the ground and running like scalded dogs.

It will take some time for people to get over the rough patch, but the company is alive and well, and doing nicely.

Now, as to Noveske and the RCA BCG...Noveske lists them as out of stock. RCA lists them on their personal site as in-stock. That tells me that Noveske is in no rush to buy more. Take it for what it's worth. If you want a QPQ BCG, buy the one from V7. I did not like my RCA BCG's lugs peening, having to nearly mortar the weapon to administratively clear it, or the attitude from Chris. V7 has my money for a few bucks more, if you want a mil-spec dimension BCG.

Stone
15 October 2014, 07:54
Not all NiB coatings are equal. There is a reason why the WMD runs around $225 and the AIM is $95. To me, the BCG and the barrel are the heart and soul of the AR platform and its one place I would not go with cheaper parts. Some company's care about price points more than quality so the old saying you get what you pay for still stands true.

DutyUse
15 October 2014, 08:23
Good post J.

UWone77
15 October 2014, 08:36
Noveske orderd RCA BCG's during the panic, because they couldn't get BCG's through their usual channels, and customers were demanding them. When the panic subsided and channels opened up the RCA's started coming in. They sold out of their initial batch. More people asked for the RCA BCG's so they ordered more.

I don't think they're in any rush to keep it as a regular item as it's been taken off and on the website before.

There is a RCA BCG thread here where their CS wasn't up to snuff. I'd be wary of using RCA

nCarnage
15 October 2014, 08:51

FT

I would send it back to them if its an issue. They have great customer service.

Thompson
15 October 2014, 09:57
Wow - awesome post J. It was very informative. I knew about John passing away - but I never knew all that stuff that happened behind the scenes. It's interesting to compare the company then vs. now.

Thanks for sharing.

JGifford
15 October 2014, 10:59
Wow - awesome post J. It was very informative. I knew about John passing away - but I never knew all that stuff that happened behind the scenes. It's interesting to compare the company then vs. now.

Thanks for sharing.

You're very welcome. When I got a bum deal on that SBR that had so many issues, I was thoroughly pissed. It takes a lot to hack me off as bad as that did, and I sold every Noveske item I had (other rifle, spare BCG, etc. etc. except for a hat hiding in my closet.)

However, since Noveske has reached out to me, apologized WITH NO EXCUSE, and taken full control of fixing the situation, my mood toward them has softened considerably. Yes, they sent me bad product. Yes, CS initially blew me off. No, there was no excuse for it---not did they try to make one when they reached out to me.

We are ALL HUMAN. We ALL MAKE ERRORS. Sometimes WE MAKE COMPOUNDING ERRORS. With the way Noveske has handled my situation, and with the way they accepted full liability for their product, I cannot in good conscience not share how I've been treated by the current company, Noveske.

I also cannot ignore the factors that led to this series of issues I had in the past. I feel that they are legitimate reasons for why what happened, happened. Are they justification for it? No. However, I try to analyze failures as best I can. I dug deeper, I pried, I contacted others in the industry and spoke to them. I talked to face shooters who work for NAVSEA. I did as much digging and reaching as I could, and in the post on the previous page, I shared as much as I can.

Someone once said "To know all is to forgive all". I don't know how true that is, but coupled with how Noveske is fixing my issues, owning their mistakes, and how well the Gen 3's are running, I wanted to share. I wanted to share what I could of what I know because I am a vocal person. If someone screws me over, there will be as much sharing as possible. If someone does me right---I try to be that 1 in 7 who will share THAT as well.

Noveske has done me right, and from every indicator I have, that company is in a good place, and going better places. Every time I have spoken to anyone there in the last few months, I have heard smiles. I have heard them volunteer positive thoughts about Tim Dillon and the direction of Noveske as a company. They are a relatively "small" American Home Grown business, and I see every indication that they make, and will continue to make a product that any American can be proud to claim as American Made. For that, I thank them, and want to see them succeed. I hope that sharing my train-wreck, and how Noveske put that train back on the tracks can help in some small way restore the faith of others in them like it did mine. They deserve a strong consideration for your business, if they offer a product that meets your needs.

Like every company, if anything new comes out, we will probably hear about it during SHOT. Whatever it is, sign me up for one after SHOT '15. Noveske has earned me back as a customer, and as someone who has something good to say about them for how they have treated me.

JoshAston
15 October 2014, 22:39
If you want the absolute best BCG currently on the market, JP Enterprises.

JGifford
15 October 2014, 22:51

I'll take a traditionalist stance and say that the best BCG available is a Colt. Why? They are proven, and we know EXACTLY what to expect from them.

GOST
16 October 2014, 01:52
The JP may be the prettiest, but it's hard to say best when they cost 3x's that of a regular.

JoshAston
16 October 2014, 02:51
The JP may be the prettiest, but it's hard to say best when they cost 3x's that of a regular.

No one said best value. The JP is by far the best. It's not just looks either. Easily the smoothest feeling and shooting BCG I've ever used.

rob_s
16 October 2014, 04:15

Seriously?

Do I pair it with an Enedine buffer for the ultimate in snake oil?

JoshAston
16 October 2014, 08:18
Seriously?

Do I pair it with an Enedine buffer for the ultimate in snake oil?

Have you ever used one?

JGifford
16 October 2014, 09:13
Have you ever used one?

I have. It turned a 20" rifle (I was using the rifle Enidine) into a single-shot.
I have also used QPQ carriers, although not a JP. They worked well enough, but nothing special as compared to a broken-in phosphate bcg. JP uses a regular bolt, as well. Nothing special about it.

Will@AR15Hunter
16 October 2014, 09:19
My rifles have either Colt, BCM, or FN bolts and carriers. They all serve me well. I know there are other great carriers out there, but I can't justify the added expense of some of them over the tried and true.

JGifford, thanks for the informative post. I didn't know that V7 was the old Noveske guys. I'm going to have to check them out.

ETA: Shameless Johnny PMAG plug. I bought some of these when they first released them. I didn't know John from Adam, but from what I've read he was a good guy.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa46/muad_dib1982/325afd22-40d5-42e0-a04b-7fba59df9e09_zps4efc35a4.jpg

UWone77
16 October 2014, 09:26
My rifles have either Colt, BCM, or FN bolts and carriers. They all serve me well. I know there are other great carriers out there, but I can't justify the added expense of some of them over the tried and true.

JGifford, thanks for the informative post. I didn't know that V7 was the old Noveske guys. I'm going to have to check them out.

ETA: Shameless Johnny PMAG plug. I bought some of these when they first released them. I didn't know John from Adam, but from what I've read he was a good guy.

Maybe it was just me, but I found it amusing that Noveske has a 60 degree selector, and V7 has a 57 degree.

Whether the old Noveske guys left on their own or were shown the door is a matter of debate depending on who you talk to.

In any case, I'm still a Noveske Fan.

Will@AR15Hunter
16 October 2014, 09:57
In any case, I'm still a Noveske Fan.

I would still love to own one in a heart beat. However, they are out of my price range usually. I love their logo.

UWone77
16 October 2014, 10:07
I would still love to own one in a heart beat. However, they are out of my price range usually. I love their logo.

If you're in the market or will be down the line, I've seen some smoking deals on Noveske Uppers lately on the secondary market. Usually shot very little, but have a few marks. I was tempted last week as I saw a 10.5" LoPro with BCG/CH, and Noveske marked Troy Sights for $800.

Will@AR15Hunter
16 October 2014, 10:48
If you're in the market or will be down the line, I've seen some smoking deals on Noveske Uppers lately on the secondary market. Usually shot very little, but have a few marks. I was tempted last week as I saw a 10.5" LoPro with BCG/CH, and Noveske marked Troy Sights for $800.

Must resist :)

I'd love to have a 14.5" Afghan upper. I don't have any SBR'd lowers yet, so I can't run the shorties. I've shot a few AR pistols, which were OK. But, I'd rather have a "real" stock.

JoshAston
16 October 2014, 11:01
I have. It turned a 20" rifle (I was using the rifle Enidine) into a single-shot.
I have also used QPQ carriers, although not a JP. They worked well enough, but nothing special as compared to a broken-in phosphate bcg. JP uses a regular bolt, as well. Nothing special about it.

I wasn't referring to the enidine, agree that it's snake oil. The JP BCG is more than just the finish, it's got several subtle design changes. And it is available with an enhanced bolt. It's up to the end user to determine if the (admittedly small) return on a comparatively large investment is worth it or not. If you want the absolute best, JP is it. If you want the best value, there are plenty that will work just fine for a lot less money.

DutyUse
16 October 2014, 12:55
I'd like to find a plain phosphate noveske bcg. Anyone seen one around for a good deal?

okdonk
16 October 2014, 13:46
I'd like to find a plain phosphate noveske bcg. Anyone seen one around for a good deal?
Since i own a couple Umbrella BCGs, i think they are more worth for the money than the Noveske's plain phospate ones. Just IMO.

DutyUse
16 October 2014, 14:06
Since i own a couple Umbrella BCGs, i think they are more worth for the money than the Noveske's plain phospate ones. Just IMO.

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/FamilyFord23/pew%20pew/IMG_0924_zps1b9269e5.jpg

I'm inclined to agree ;D

After I finish my current build I have a noveske build brewing and a phosphate noveske BCG would go good with it

Accountable1
16 October 2014, 14:07
Noveske has plain phosphate on their website for $150.00 right now

JGifford
16 October 2014, 15:39

Noveske is selling them for $150 on their website, but I don't know if they have any markings or not that show they are Noveske purchase, other than the receipt.

ShiskaBob
16 October 2014, 16:23
It's my understanding that if you want Nickel boron, there are a few things you ought to consider. First, a coating is different than what WMD and EXO do. They impregnate, not coat. Impregnation is far superior and preferred over coating. Second, the coating process can easily be screwed up even by reputable vendors, so be wary.
The cheapest nib impregnated BCGs are from ICE arms, but be careful, there QC for their bolt carriers is practically nonexistent. I have personally received an LR-308 bcg from them so out of spec it was impossible to remove the bolt can without extreme torque.
I think I had read somewhere that Spike's don't require any break-in, but that was years ago. I like them, they have never failed me.

Will@AR15Hunter
16 October 2014, 16:38
BCM has CMT semi-auto and full-auto BCGs for $130. I've never read anything bad about CMT's parts.

GOST
16 October 2014, 18:23
Not sure but I believe that Noveske BCG's are CMT.

Will@AR15Hunter
16 October 2014, 18:26
Not sure but I believe that Noveske BCG's are CMT.

I read that over on TOS as well, IIRC.

GOST
16 October 2014, 18:29
I wasn't referring to the enidine, agree that it's snake oil. The JP BCG is more than just the finish, it's got several subtle design changes. And it is available with an enhanced bolt. It's up to the end user to determine if the (admittedly small) return on a comparatively large investment is worth it or not. If you want the absolute best, JP is it. If you want the best value, there are plenty that will work just fine for a lot less money.

I had a JP BCG and while it was very pretty I noticed no improvement in my rifles performance. I later sold it during the scare for a very good return. Their quality is great but in my experience there was no return from it in performance.

Cold bore miracle
17 October 2014, 01:34
I bought a rca black bcg from Noveske with a new rifle. It was a pos. after one moth I sold it.

JGifford
17 October 2014, 06:14
I bought a rca black bcg from Noveske with a new rifle. It was a pos. after one moth I sold it.

What exact issues did you note?

will0861
17 October 2014, 20:19
Two things. First, most AR parts are manufactured by a select few companies. For example, I just bought a Bravo Company assembled upper. It has BCM laser markings, but an AERO Precision forging stamp. Aero Precision is the OEM for a lot of companies. Small parts are no different.

Wilson Combat is selling a phosphate BCG with an MPI bolt for $98.00 right now. Personally, I prefer the phosphate finish because it is designed to hold lubricant on the surface. It's not fancy, but it serves a purpose.

So, I would suggest checking out Aero Precision, Wilson Combat, or BCM. But for $98, you're not going to find a better deal than Wilson Combat.

Deckard
17 October 2014, 21:00
Two things. First, most AR parts are manufactured by a select few companies. For example, I just bought a Bravo Company assembled upper. It has BCM laser markings, but an AERO Precision forging stamp. Aero Precision is the OEM for a lot of companies. Small parts are no different.

Wilson Combat is selling a phosphate BCG with an MPI bolt for $98.00 right now. Personally, I prefer the phosphate finish because it is designed to hold lubricant on the surface. It's not fancy, but it serves a purpose.

So, I would suggest checking out Aero Precision, Wilson Combat, or BCM. But for $98, you're not going to find a better deal than Wilson Combat.

What's Aero's forging stamp?

will0861
18 October 2014, 14:17
What's Aero's forging stamp?

It looks like an A separated in the middle. I'll take some pictures, and post later.

UWone77
18 October 2014, 14:22
It looks like an A separated in the middle. I'll take some pictures, and post later.

That's not Aero's forging mark.

Aero does not make BCM receivers.

Eric
18 October 2014, 16:42
That's Anchor Harvey. (http://www.anchorharvey.com/)

will0861
18 October 2014, 19:04
Ok, so then explain to me why the upper I purchased directly from Aero Precision has the same marking as the BCM?

UWone77
18 October 2014, 19:11
Ok, so then explain to me why the upper I purchased directly from Aero Precision has the same marking as the BCM?

I think you're confused about the manufacturing process.

I have Aero Uppers with the key hole mark, which is Cerro Forge.

mustangfreek
18 October 2014, 19:11

Same FORGING.....

Many companies get their stuff from the same place..

Gaspipeshooter
18 October 2014, 19:22

There are only a handful of companies that produce the raw forgings that most all companies then do the finish machining on to produce a ready to assemble stripped lower. The mark you are describing is the forging company's mark, not who finish machined the forging.

Naytwan
18 October 2014, 20:11
I've been running a PXT NIB BCG (lots of letters there, lol) for a 1000 rounds so far and its been great. Granted 1000 rounds is not a lot but the guys at Parallax have always put out a good product. Just my 2 cents. I'd give them a look.

Deckard
18 October 2014, 20:20
That's what I was getting to, they buy them raw and cut them to their specs in house. Just because an upper has the same forging marks doesn't mean its finished in the same quality.

GHOSTMAN
2 November 2014, 13:35
I bought a full auto nickel boron bcg from palmetto, looks and runs perfect. Was $119 with a free charging handle. Does what i need it to do, and very nice smooth look and quality to it.

billt
6 November 2014, 05:58
http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/nickel_boron_bolt_carrier_group

Ares Armor has NiB Bolt Carrier Groups for just $99.95. They are currently showing "Out Of Stock", but they replenish quickly. This is a very well made BCG, and you sure as hell can't beat the price! I always said most of this stuff is way overpriced for what it is. This proves it. Good price on a good BCG.

toolboxluis00200
6 November 2014, 15:37
i love my UCBCG
a lot better than my original Spike BCG

MIDGAPATRIOT
7 November 2014, 15:44
Both Spikes and BCM have served me well, zero issues with either. You can't go wrong with both of those companies.

I've only used BCM, but they've been top notch.

UWone77
8 November 2014, 15:21
During the next panic, I'm anxiously awaiting threads that go from "which BCG" to "Any BCG" [:D]

Remember to stock up now boys... those $99 BCGs won't last forever... and grab a few BCM's while you're at it.

JGifford
8 November 2014, 16:07
I just bought a Mil-Spec BCG with no funky logo's that has an individually MPI/HPT bolt, etc. from an FN contract over-run for $135 shipped. I'll stick with mil-spec.

JGifford
8 November 2014, 16:15
During the next panic, I'm anxiously awaiting threads that go from "which BCG" to "Any BCG" [:D]

Remember to stock up now boys... those $99 BCGs won't last forever... and grab a few BCM's while you're at it.

buy Colt instead of BCM. They are what sold the highest last go, by a long shot. $199 vs. $160, right now. You will get a lot more for your $39 margin.

Personally, I just bought a Colt BCG, and am not impressed. I will T&E it along side of the $125 BCG that I bought from an FN contract over-run. I bet I like the contract over-run BCG more.

That being said, when it comes time to sell during a crunch, "C" and "MPC" stamps are going to be worth $100 more than anything else.

DutyUse
8 November 2014, 18:03

Spoken like a man who's been thru a panic or two ;)

UWone77
8 November 2014, 18:30
buy Colt instead of BCM. They are what sold the highest last go, by a long shot. $199 vs. $160, right now. You will get a lot more for your $39 margin.

Personally, I just bought a Colt BCG, and am not impressed. I will T&E it along side of the $125 BCG that I bought from an FN contract over-run. I bet I like the contract over-run BCG more.

That being said, when it comes time to sell during a crunch, "C" and "MPC" stamps are going to be worth $100 more than anything else.

Someone on m4c was selling Colt products pretty regularly for retail prices. After the panic hit, I recall he was selling Colt BCG's for $500. So with that, I think you're right. If you're looking to cash in on the next panic, Colt products is where it's at!

Will@AR15Hunter
18 December 2014, 09:04

Agreed, Colt bolts and BCGs were going for crazy prices during the last panic, as were BCM's.

To your comments in Bold. I don't see how you could tell a difference between a true FN gov. contract over-run BCG and a Colt. I have a true FN BCG in one of my of my rifles, and other than the "F" on the carrier versus the "C", and the "MPF" vs. "MPC" markings on the Bolt, they look and operate identically. So, I'm having a hard time understanding how you can like one more than the other, when they are nearly identical in design, machining, and materials.

JGifford
19 December 2014, 23:49
Agreed, Colt bolts and BCGs were going for crazy prices during the last panic, as were BCM's.

To your comments in Bold. I don't see how you could tell a difference between a true FN gov. contract over-run BCG and a Colt. I have a true FN BCG in one of my of my rifles, and other than the "F" on the carrier versus the "C", and the "MPF" vs. "MPC" markings on the Bolt, they look and operate identically. So, I'm having a hard time understanding how you can like one more than the other, when they are nearly identical in design, machining, and materials.

I am just going by what the vendor told me, however, I have noticed some discrepancies between this "contract" BCG, and what an actual mil-spec BCG is, regarding some of the small parts. Beveled ejector pin, little things like that.

Gotta say, I am sticking with my Colt BCG's when it counts, and for resale. They won the PiP for a reason a year or two ago. I've tried most BCG concepts out there, and keep coming back to a quality milspec BCG.

Will@AR15Hunter
22 December 2014, 15:43
I am just going by what the vendor told me, however, I have noticed some discrepancies between this "contract" BCG, and what an actual mil-spec BCG is, regarding some of the small parts. Beveled ejector pin, little things like that.

Gotta say, I am sticking with my Colt BCG's when it counts, and for resale. They won the PiP for a reason a year or two ago. I've tried most BCG concepts out there, and keep coming back to a quality milspec BCG.

Gotcha. I was just curious.

I too stick with Colt BCGs when I can get them at a reasonable price, otherwise I grab BCMs. I just got my first White Oak bolt this week, as it was $35 cheaper than the BCM (I was on a strict budget with this upper). It's MPI tested, and White Oak has a great rep. I'm going to throw it in a Colt carrier and see how it does.

Aberration79
23 December 2014, 22:45

FT

Man do I not like hearing that! I hope mine doesn't end up like yours! Mine is taking on a black tone. I never knew it should take on a blue tone. I hope its not a sign! The gas rings look a tad more expanded than on my Noveske bolt and is a bit tight. Doesn't seem to stick though.

I hope you got it sorted with UWone77.

UWone77
24 December 2014, 11:48
Man do I not like hearing that! I hope mine doesn't end up like yours! Mine is taking on a black tone. I never knew it should take on a blue tone. I hope its not a sign! The gas rings look a tad more expanded than on my Noveske bolt and is a bit tight. Doesn't seem to stick though.

I hope you got it sorted with UWone77.

I've given FT my address to ship the BCG to, so I could personally have RA look it over and replace, refund, ect.

I have yet to see it in the mail. [:D]

FortTom
24 December 2014, 13:08
I've given FT my address to ship the BCG to, so I could personally have RA look it over and replace, refund, ect.

I have yet to see it in the mail. [:D]

Yes you did.[:D] I did appreciate it, but some time went by and I really didn't want to jerk around with it. The finish on the bolt was cooked, black and flaking. The gas rings looked screwed up too which I am guessing is what was causing the sticking. They were staggered, so I'm thinking that wasn't causing the gas "blow by". The Carrier looked fine though, so I put it up in the pay it forward area, and it was claimed in seconds. Replaced the whole thing with a Fail Zero BCG. Not a big deal. I just wanted the gun up and running, as it's one of my "go to" favorites.

UWone77
24 December 2014, 13:09
Yes you did.[:D] I did appreciate it, but some time went by and I really didn't want to jerk around with it. The finish on the bolt was cooked, black and flaking. The gas rings looked screwed up too which I am guessing is what was causing the sticking. They were staggered, so I'm thinking that wasn't causing the gas "blow by". The Carrier looked fine though, so I put it up in the pay it forward area, and it was claimed in seconds. Replaced the whole thing with a Fail Zero BCG. Not a big deal. I just wanted the gun up and running, as it's one of my "go to" favorites.

You should have just sent me the bolt then.

Honestly, you really don't have a gripe, if you never gave RA the chance to fix whatever issues there may have been. Just sayin. [:D][BD]

FortTom
24 December 2014, 13:14
You should have just sent me the bolt then.

Honestly, you really don't have a gripe, if you never gave RA the chance to fix whatever issues there may have been. Just sayin. [:D][BD]
I'm not griping...just saying.[:D] I do have a firing pin, and stripping the extractor, pin, etc. for emergency parts.[BD]

Eric
24 December 2014, 13:45
If I spend good money on something and there's a problem with it and the vendor will take care of it, that's the route I'll take. I'm just funny like that...

FortTom
24 December 2014, 14:24
If I spend good money on something and there's a problem with it and the vendor will take care of it, that's the route I'll take. I'm just funny like that...
Again, I'm not griping...I'm just funny like that....[:D]

DutyUse
24 December 2014, 14:44
Ordered my Fathom BCG tonight can't wait to run it

Tyrannosaur
24 December 2014, 19:50
Ordered my Fathom BCG tonight can't wait to run it

Ya I think I'm rock in one too... Was into the Lantac bit Fathom looks solid and its more proven

DutyUse
25 December 2014, 08:02
Can't wait to compare the UCWRG, BCM and Fathom side by side. Those were my top 3