PDA

View Full Version : Left hand upper reciever considderations

schambers
14 October 2014, 15:40
A friend of mine wants to do a build for his wife, who is left handed.

As far as I know, the only major considderations would be a left side ejection port and a lefty BCG. Am I missing any other major component?

Also, can you all reccomend some left-ejecting uppers? I know CMT is working on one but he wants to get the project done by christmas.

UWone77
14 October 2014, 15:45
The CMT upper is going to be out by Mid-November, so there maybe time. They're only doing a limited run of 50, probably mainly through Rainier.

Txfilmmaker
15 October 2014, 15:30
Second choice would be Stag Arms. Go with CMT if you can wait.

Peaks'n'Valleys
15 October 2014, 17:20
My daughter is a lefty. I have honestly been considering simply doing ambidextrous controls and having her shoot a right handed AR. My cousin is right handed, left eye dominant and he has no problem shooting a right handed AR as a lefty.

Sak007
28 October 2014, 01:30
Anybody have any info on theses guys ? http://lefthandrifles.com/
They say they are left hand Noveske rifles which I have never heard of . If so are these modded by these guys or do they come from Noveske .

WHSmithIV
28 October 2014, 01:57
Stag Arms has both the lefty upper receiver and the lefty BCG. Other than that you'd want ambidextrous safety, mag release and charging handle plus an extended bolt release. That would be it.

schambers
28 October 2014, 06:32
I looked into the stag uppers and their website says that they are only compatable with their proprietary lefty lower reciever. I don't really know why that would be the case, but I advised my friend to either call them or steer clear of the stag upper. Right now he is looking at an upper and BCG from a company called Red X something something.

Gaspipeshooter
28 October 2014, 08:09
I looked into the stag uppers and their website says that they are only compatable with their proprietary lefty lower reciever. I don't really know why that would be the case, but I advised my friend to either call them or steer clear of the stag upper. Right now he is looking at an upper and BCG from a company called Red X something something.

Red X Arms out of Minnesota. I've had some dealings with them in the past and based on those experiences I won't be doing business with them in the future.

cjd3
2 December 2014, 20:16
I just ordered the CMT UPER1-LH from Rainier Arms. They just listed them today.

jymbeux
2 December 2014, 20:24
I'm left handed and ambidextrous controls are more important than left hand ejection, for me. An ambi safety, mag release, and charging handle are must haves. Right side ejection really hasn't bothered me, the rounds are ejected well away from my head/face. If possible have your friend's wife try shooting a right hand eject AR and see how comfortable she is with it - and if it doesn't bother her, there will be a lot more options. If you do want left side ejection I'd also recommend the CMT.

UWone77
2 December 2014, 20:35
Just FYI, CMT only produced 25 of these uppers, and they all went to Rainier. Unknown if they will produce them again and when.

alamo5000
2 December 2014, 20:46
Just FYI, CMT only produced 25 of these uppers, and they all went to Rainier. Unknown if they will produce them again and when.

CMT's website says 'check back soon'....

https://www.cmttac.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=132

Rainier has em for sure.

I am a righty but I have a friend who is left eye dominant who has been on the lookout for lefty AR's for a while now. This is perfect for him.

And for the record, I LOVE CMT. At this point if I was going to buy more uppers and lowers... odds are 99% to nothing they would be more CMT stuff.

cjd3
2 December 2014, 21:58
I didn't see this earlier. Stag Left handed uppers only have one proprietary part, which is the bolt and carrier. The lower they sell on their lefty rifles are the same lowers the sell on their regular righties. I just put my Stag lefty upper on my STT-15 lower, no problems. The only completely proprietary system I am aware of is the Rock River LAR-15LH LEF-T. Everything looks like it's completely mirrored (except the mag release so it can accept standard mags).

cjd3
2 December 2014, 21:59

Hmmm, should have bought 2, but I broke my December rule and bought me something. I can't be double bad, especially 2 days into the month.

schambers
3 December 2014, 03:50
FYSA, the guy that wanted to start the build decided to buy an xbox one instead, so the project has been put on hold indefinately :p

Glad we didn't have to end up going with Red X. It he ever wants to start this up again I'll probably just get in touch with Stag, to confirm if it will work with everything else.

alamo5000
3 December 2014, 05:32
I didn't see this earlier. Stag Left handed uppers only have one proprietary part, which is the bolt and carrier. The lower they sell on their lefty rifles are the same lowers the sell on their regular righties. I just put my Stag lefty upper on my STT-15 lower, no problems. The only completely proprietary system I am aware of is the Rock River LAR-15LH LEF-T. Everything looks like it's completely mirrored (except the mag release so it can accept standard mags).

From Rainier:

"Compatible with Stag Arms LH BCG only or comparable"

http://www.rainierarms.com/cmt-tact-upur-1lh-left-hand-eject-billet-upper-receiver

Check the description tab... but still if you need a lefty rifle for a new BCG and upper you can do it pretty cheap.

SINNER
4 December 2014, 06:50
Down to 18 at Rainier for the CMT uppers. I had to grab some before they were all gone. LOL

SINNER
9 December 2014, 16:29
I hate Rainier Arms. Why anyone would use those assholes to sell a limited release is beyond me. They can not handle shipping normal stock products correctly so why let them screw up a item with limited availability is beyond me.

Peckerinak
9 December 2014, 20:58
I hate Rainier Arms. Why anyone would use those assholes to sell a limited release is beyond me. They can not handle shipping normal stock products correctly so why let them screw up a item with limited availability is beyond me.

Rainier Arms is the bomb, sorry your personal experience sucked, but I've had nothing but the best from them.

SINNER
9 December 2014, 21:16
This was far from my first order with them. I honestly can not count how many times I purchased from them. In the past 2 months the 3 orders I placed have been a fiasco. Then mix in the attitude whenever you have to call to resolve an issue and IMO they are far from how they used to be.

Thompson
9 December 2014, 22:03
Then mix in the attitude whenever you have to call to resolve an issue and IMO they are far from how they used to be.
Have you been able to call? Literally every single time I've tried calling - there was no one on the other side ... and I went through every possible call option (5 of them). (Yes, I took time zone consideration into account). They've also had either a very long turn around time for emails ... or I just don't get a response. Don't get me wrong, it's a great company ... but (from my experiences) their customer service department is a bit lacking.

On the bright side though, they did call me when I ordered something that was out of stock (... I guess the actual inventory is not adjusted as frequently on the website ...)

UWone77
10 December 2014, 05:20

Clean up your language.

SINNER
10 December 2014, 05:58
Really? So a forum populated with grown men discussing items you can only own as adults, a mild curse word is too much? Perhaps if it bothers you so much you should enable the censorship settings on the forum. That's about the only way I know of to tell what's allowed or not.

SINNER
10 December 2014, 06:10
Have you been able to call? Literally every single time I've tried calling - there was no one on the other side ... and I went through every possible call option (5 of them). (Yes, I took time zone consideration into account). They've also had either a very long turn around time for emails ... or I just don't get a response. Don't get me wrong, it's a great company ... but (from my experiences) their customer service department is a bit lacking.

On the bright side though, they did call me when I ordered something that was out of stock (... I guess the actual inventory is not adjusted as frequently on the website ...)

After messages were left and no return call I had my secretary call until a person answered. It had been 5 working days since I ordered and still no email or even a true charge on the card and not just a hold, I wanted to know what was going on. Before the woman who answered even asked for my info she snapped at me "If you want it faster maybe you should upgrade the shipping." Come to find out the order had not even been processed. After the last order where two $600 barrels were packed like $25 worth of steel pipe with one of the muzzle ends hanging out of the package I knew they were heading down the wrong path.

UWone77
10 December 2014, 06:20
Really? So a forum populated with grown men discussing items you can only own as adults, a mild curse word is too much? Perhaps if it bothers you so much you should enable the censorship settings on the forum. That's about the only way I know of to tell what's allowed or not.

SINNER,

There are other ways of calling out retailers instead of calling them assholes. You know, coherent, well put together posts that clearly spell out why you had an issue. That's what adults do.

GOST
10 December 2014, 06:22
I hate to hear that SINNER, but I've never had anything but great service from both Rainiers Arms store and gunsmithing. I've always had my emails answered within 24 hours, and gunsmithing calls me when they have a question about what I'm wanting done. The last barrels I've ordered from them have both come twice wrapped in bubble wrap and in a FedEx box.

Computalotapus
10 December 2014, 06:22
Everything I have ordered from RA has come well packaged, processed in a timely manner, and shipped out in a timely manner. I had to call only once to verify that the order I placed had the correct FFL and I reached a person with no problems. My experiences with them has been good.

SINNER
10 December 2014, 06:31
SINNER,

There are other ways of calling out retailers instead of calling them assholes. You know, coherent, well put together posts that clearly spell out why you had an issue. That's what adults do.

When I am discussing adult's behavior I agree but when the woman I am dealing with puts me on hold and transfers me to a co-worker, who then states "She has had a bad day, She's frustrated" I am no longer having a discussion regarding adults, I am at the bus stop in high school talking like a sailor. LMFAO Point taken but I still stand by my usage of "asshole" as a apt description of the staff at Rainier. Sorry if that offends anyone.

UWone77
10 December 2014, 06:36
No retailer or manufacturer is immune to bad CS. It happens.

Just to be clear, on this forum, you will be professional about it. If you want to go on a hate filled rant, you may do so on your own Facebook account.

Now if you want to provide an articulated post about your bad experience somewhere, that's fine.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Thompson
10 December 2014, 12:11
Everything I have ordered from RA has come well packaged, processed in a timely manner, and shipped out in a timely manner. I had to call only once to verify that the order I placed had the correct FFL and I reached a person with no problems. My experiences with them has been good.
Hmmm that's weird then. Must be the holidays then.

Computalotapus
10 December 2014, 12:15
Hmmm that's weird then. Must be the holidays then.

I have a few things I am going to be ordering from them next week I can post a timeline of events from time order placed, to confirmation, to tracking info, to receiving the goods and what the packaging looks like.

But we can move all that to another thread.. .

back to wrong handed stuff

Thompson
10 December 2014, 12:28
LOL

SINNER
11 December 2014, 11:03

You have no idea how bad being a lefty sucks. LOL I would buy a MRAD or a Ballista today if I could get a lefty. Semi's are not a big deal but bolt guns are a no go and lefty choices are horrible.

cjd3
15 December 2014, 21:35
It arrived today. Pics to flollow with incomplete build.

cjd3
16 December 2014, 07:43
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/16/2c0cad931c7adf0eea5f43573fa77cd9.jpg
It's coming along nicely for this lefty.

UWone77
16 December 2014, 07:51
Obviously, I love San Tan, but that upper would look great on the upcoming Ambi Lower from CMT.

CK 187
16 December 2014, 08:31
You have no idea how bad being a lefty sucks. LOL I would buy a MRAD or a Ballista today if I could get a lefty. Semi's are not a big deal but bolt guns are a no go and lefty choices are horrible.

I feel that pain. Most everything else, i've adapted my style and muscle memory to

BUT, i've got a hunger for a nice mid to long range bolt gun and like you said, for a lefty the choices are horrible

CK 187
16 December 2014, 08:34
No retailer or manufacturer is immune to bad CS. It happens.

Just to be clear, on this forum, you will be professional about it. If you want to go on a hate filled rant, you may do so on your own Facebook account.

<<<thumbs up>>>

I do dislike the rants and raves on certain manufacturers over on another certain popular AR forum.

cjd3
16 December 2014, 18:12
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/16/2407b85ebbfb4537890fb084104b0deb.jpg
Here is the other side. Now I'm interested in the CMT ambi lower. The STT is pretty darn nice.

Thompson
16 December 2014, 18:45
Obviously, I love San Tan, but that upper would look great on the upcoming Ambi Lower from CMT.
Well, good thing I'm in no rush to build my rifle [:D]