PDA

View Full Version : Primary Arms Gen2 1-6x ACSS Scope

Ride4frnt
14 October 2014, 23:04
Finally got my hands on one of these after months of waiting for it. They came back in stock late last week and have since sold out again until God knows when.

Specs, as provided by PA are as follows:

Tube Diameter: 30mm
Magnification: 1-6X
Exit Pupil: 10mm at 1X, 4mm at 6x
Eye Relief: 4.5 in. at 1X, 4 in. at 6x
Field of View:
115 feet @ 100 yards at 1X
19.2 feet @ 100 yards at 6X
Click Value: .5 MOA
Length: 10.75 inches
Net Weight: 17.4 oz.
Red Partial Illumination
Fast Focus Eyepiece
Second Focal Plane
Front and rear flip caps included
Waterproof
Nitrogen purged
Fog resistant
Fully Multi-Coated

First thing first, this is a $269 scope, I don't expect NightForce quality out of it.That being said, this unit seems to be really well put together for the pricepoint.

What comes in the box is the scope, reticle instructions, cleaning cloth, and one battery. The packaging for this thing was much better than I expected. The box was nice and sturdy, and Inside the scope was packed with about 4" of foam on either end, and more foam on the sides. When in the box, this thing isnt going to be jarring around.

This is a true 1x optic. When you hold it up to a door jam, for example, you can follow the lines of the door jam the whole way from above the scope, down through the glass, and out the bottom, and notice no magnification. At 1x all the way through 6x, the glass is exceptionally clear for being a lower priced optic. Ive only been able to test it indoors as it was dark when I received it, but there does not appear to be much, if any haziness around the edges. Tomorrow I will take it outside and see if this holds true.

The scope seems really well put together. Nothing loose on the scope.The finish is a very even, nice, flat black with a sort of texture to it. I like it more than some of the other optics Ive seen with smoother, more reflective finishes. This particular scope includes a set of PA's (not sure who makes them) flip caps. The flip caps seem really nice for being included. They are very snug on the optic and do not rotate easily. The rear flip up has grooves inside of it that slide into the grooves on the focus ring, keeping it nice and snug. Both caps close very positively and take a good amount of effort to open up; they wont just open on their own. The turret caps tighten down very nicely. On the left side of the scope there is an illumination turret with 11 settings. This thing is bright when set up on the higher settings. The illumination turret has a good resistance and very positive clicks, as to avoid any movement in the field. The adjustment turrets again have a good level of resistance and positive clicks that are audible. Ive heard the first generation of these scopes had spongy feeling turrets; Ive never felt them, but it seems like it was fixed with this model.

On to the reticle. ACSS in the name stands for Advanced Combined Sighting System. Basically what you're getting is a red dot with a horseshoe for CQB, with a vertical crosshair and horizontal ticks beneath it. The reticle is supposed to be calibrated for 5.56/.223 rounds for BDC out to 600+ yards, with each tick mark on the vertical crosshair representing 400, 600, and 800yds. The width of each horizontal tick is supposed to represent a target 18" wide at that yardage, the average torso size of a person. Centered of to either side of the horseshoe are 2 dots, which are said to be leads for a target moving at 8.5mph. To the sides of each tick mark on the vertical crosshair are more dots, this time representing holdovers for a 5mph breeze at a given yardage. To the right side of the main reticle is another scale that is used for sizing a target. It is labeled with yardages and is able to size a target with a height of 5'10" and tell you how far away they are. This ranging portion of the reticle is non-illuminated. Originally I thought the reticle may be a bit cluttered, but upon looking down the tube, you really only focus on what you need to focus on.

My Aero Precision Ultralight extended scope mount comes on Thursday, so hopefully this weekend I'll get to slap it on my gun and finally go shoot it, or at the very least, take images of the gun with optics on it finally!

Now for some pictures. Sorry for the crude images.

The packaging

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/IMG_2448_zps86d22d2c.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/IMG_2451_zpsdddc7532.jpg

The scope

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/IMG_2454_zpsc8fc3b6a.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/IMG_2458_zps21eb89aa.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/IMG_2461_zpsa00c42ef.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/IMG_2468_zps70758eae.jpg

The illuminated part of the reticle, as best I could given the circumstances. Ill get some outside later this week.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/IMG_2466_zps4ad9fa23.jpg

mustangfreek
14 October 2014, 23:38
Cool...I thought about picking one up..but didnt for some reason...

Looks like a decent budget oriented optic, id like to hear how you think the glass and reticle looks , when looking thru it in the daytime..Also seemed like the pics on the site showed a much more cluttered reticle....Or is just some of the stuff light up?

Ride4frnt
14 October 2014, 23:45
Cool...I thought about picking one up..but didnt for some reason...

Looks like a decent budget oriented optic, id like to hear how you think the glass and reticle looks , when looking thru it in the daytime..Also seemed like the pics on the site showed a much more cluttered reticle....Or is just some of the stuff light up?

The only parts illuminated are what you see in my bottom pic. The ranging scale on the right side is always black, and the 8.5mph leads to the left and right of the horseshoe are black. It seems a bit cluttered in theory, but you really don't notice it when you focus on what you need to focus on.

voodoo_man
15 October 2014, 03:55
Thanks for posting. Please post when you get the ultralight, that seems like a pretty cool setup id like to try. Also when you do some shooting post up on your impressions.

UWone77
15 October 2014, 06:20
I missed out on it, waffled too long as I didn't really need more optics. Like voodoo, I'm curious to see what your impressions are after shooting. Thanks for posting.

Ride4frnt
15 October 2014, 08:54
I really hope I get out to shoot this weekend. It's starting to get cold and crappy out here for the year. Been a monsoon this morning with about 40mph gusts, supposed to be like this til saturday.

I've got to say, this thing is put together much better than what I expected. For the price it seems solid. I hope it performs well in the field. PA also has a 4-14x FFP scope coming out soon with a similar reticle.

voodoo_man
15 October 2014, 09:43
Do you have another 1-6x? Or any variable optic you can compare it to?

I have a build that may work well with one. I also have heard that PA is going to be releasing a FFP 1-4x, which may be ideal if with mils.

Ride4frnt
15 October 2014, 09:53
Only other comparable optic I have is a nikon 3-9. I've shot a vortex 1-4 but it's not mine. I may be able to make some comparisons but may miss on the details.

voodoo_man
15 October 2014, 10:00
So some of the things to look at, when the optic is at full Magnification, does the eye relief become shallow or the sight box become difficult to find or focus on?

RiverRat
15 October 2014, 10:04
I really like what PA brings to the party in terms of value, service and honesty. I've bought from these guys and will again. And love the idea of 1-6x scopes and this one seems a good value in the 1-6x market. But I can't get my head around the reticle.

Maybe I'm too simple-minded, but first and foremost I don't buy into the design intent. I don't mind it being "combat-oriented" - but I question the need for this use at 800 yards (in the domestic consumer market.) I can envision ZERO defensive situations in which ranging and firing at 600-800 yards has merit.

On the flip side, if I bought into the need for longer ranging and targeting, I'm personally uncomfortable with terminal ballistics of any 5.56 load at those ranges. Sure, the round CAN be effective with a lucky hit, but I don't consider it reliable, nor does it play to the strengths of 5.56 in general (if you buy into the "round count/force multiplier" intent of the caliber).

So I hope it's reasonable glass and you enjoy it - I just don't think this one's on my buy list.

Ride4frnt
15 October 2014, 10:17
So some of the things to look at, when the optic is at full Magnification, does the eye relief become shallow or the sight box become difficult to find or focus on?

By all means, offer me things to look for. I'm doing this for the benefit of anyone else who may want one of these. What else should I look for? Never really reviewed an optic. Always been more of a hold the gun up and shoot it kinda person. My only real long term experience in the variable power range is a regular duplex reticle on my bolt gun.

GOST
15 October 2014, 14:31
Look forward to hearing what you think of it after some use.

voodoo_man
15 October 2014, 15:20
@river rat - There are plenty of "defensive" shooting possibilities at all and distance, it depends on the situation and a person is injected into it with a shot out to 600y. Also, the point of a 1-X variable magnified optic is discrimination, not to make hits out to long distances. If I am engaging someone at 100 or 200 yards, I want to be able to see everything I need to in order to make the logical/reasonable decision to fire. If I am engaging someone out to 600y I would want something like a 25x in order to do the same.

By all means, offer me things to look for. I'm doing this for the benefit of anyone else who may want one of these. What else should I look for? Never really reviewed an optic. Always been more of a hold the gun up and shoot it kinda person. My only real long term experience in the variable power range is a regular duplex reticle on my bolt gun.

Off the top of my head for variable optics:

optical blur/fuzz at various magnification levels
size of eye box at 6x compared to 1x
reticle use at 1x as compared to 6x = how useful is it at various magnifications?
does it hold zero? even while adjusting on the fly?
quality of materials, after some use do the turrets still work like new? brightness of reticle same after use? battery life?
quality of glass itself, easily fogs? scrapes?
usefulness of reticle design?
distance for optimal eye relief?

Computalotapus
15 October 2014, 15:58
I really like what PA brings to the party in terms of value, service and honesty. I've bought from these guys and will again. And love the idea of 1-6x scopes and this one seems a good value in the 1-6x market. But I can't get my head around the reticle.

Maybe I'm too simple-minded, but first and foremost I don't buy into the design intent. I don't mind it being "combat-oriented" - but I question the need for this use at 800 yards (in the domestic consumer market.) I can envision ZERO defensive situations in which ranging and firing at 600-800 yards has merit.

On the flip side, if I bought into the need for longer ranging and targeting, I'm personally uncomfortable with terminal ballistics of any 5.56 load at those ranges. Sure, the round CAN be effective with a lucky hit, but I don't consider it reliable, nor does it play to the strengths of 5.56 in general (if you buy into the "round count/force multiplier" intent of the caliber).

So I hope it's reasonable glass and you enjoy it - I just don't think this one's on my buy list.

There is a thread on another forum where a guy built a .223 bolt gun on a savage action at a decent price ( sub $1200) minus the optic. 24" barrel and had consistent hits out to 1450 yards. He also scored hits out to 1 mile. I see guys ring targets accurately out to a 1000 yards with the .223.

RiverRat
15 October 2014, 19:24
There is a thread on another forum where a guy built a .223 bolt gun on a savage action at a decent price ( sub $1200) minus the optic. 24" barrel and had consistent hits out to 1450 yards. He also scored hits out to 1 mile. I see guys ring targets accurately out to a 1000 yards with the .223.

Comp, did you miss the "terminal ballsitics part? 5.56 isnt the right cartridge for 1000 yards, unless all you want to drill a .22 caliber hole in meat. If you want to ring steel at that range, fine - but this reticle clearly isn't designed for the paper-punching crowd.

Voodoo......I'm fine with 1-4 or 1-6 optics.....in fact it's they are my favorite scopes for the AR. And I agree about discrimination. But the PA reticle is specifically designed for ranging (based on a human sized/shaped object) and BDC out to 800 yards - I just don't see justification for me (as a civilian) to ever pull the trigger on a human at that range. If you have different needs, maybe this scope as designed would be great for you - its just not, as I say, on MY buy list.

Ride4frnt
15 October 2014, 19:50
Comp, did you miss the "terminal ballsitics part? 5.56 isnt the right cartridge for 1000 yards, unless all you want to drill a .22 caliber hole in meat. If you want to ring steel at that range, fine - but this reticle clearly isn't designed for the paper-punching crowd.

Voodoo......I'm fine with 1-4 or 1-6 optics.....in fact it's they are my favorite scopes for the AR. And I agree about discrimination. But the PA reticle is specifically designed for ranging (based on a human sized/shaped object) and BDC out to 800 yards - I just don't see justification for me (as a civilian) to ever pull the trigger on a human at that range. If you have different needs, maybe this scope as designed would be great for you - its just not, as I say, on MY buy list.

I get where you're coming from, but who's to say you're not going to pull the trigger on a steel plate that's roughly 18" wide at an unknown yardage. Granted most targets are at a known yardage I think this reticle can apply to more than just human targets. I'm not saying there aren't better options out there, but at this price I don't think it's a bad option. Everyone has their ideas of what works for them and what doesn't, I honestly thought this was a bit cluttered when I saw digitally rendered illustrations of it, but looking down the tube I think it will serve well, especially in the 100-400 yard range, where I'll be using it.

voodoo_man
16 October 2014, 04:25

My point was that there is no "legal" standard for distance of a "defensive" shooting. It does not have to be you that is in danger, per say. There is an article somewhere on the interwebs about a guy hitting another guy who was shooting at a LEO with a revolver at something like 150y+ Justified? Totally. Would I take a 150y shot with a revolver? FUCK no. (caps for emphasis) Would I take that same shot with an AR with a 1-4, 1-6 or 1-8? All day and twice on Sunday. It is all about reasonableness of action. As a "civilian" you are just as allowed to put people down as I am (as LE). The only difference is I go looking for the fight, where you might stumble across it. If you see someone getting shot at, civilian, LE or otherwise, and you have a clear shot at a random distance you know for a fact you can make accurate hits at with the platform you have available to you at that moment, especially if you fear for the safety of others (especially the LEO's or other citizens in the area that may be under fire and/or injured), take the shot. The "combat" of the PA's 1-6x reticle helps out in this distance guessing game.

I know we are going a little off topic here, but I would suggest to anyone that is willing to find themselves a good rifle that is dependable and a good optic (possibly the PA 1-6x) and vet it on the range. Keep it with you as much as possible because you may be the first person on a scene that requires immediate use of deadly force in order to save lives. I had this convo before with a few people and the consensus was that if the N. Hollywood Shootout occurred today, and if LE was unprepared as they were for the original event, depending on the locale the robbers might be screwed because of the citizens in that respective area might be able to take action faster and more accurately than LE would have. Imagine something like this occurs outside of your house (like it did in Canada with those 3 Mounties getting killed) You have a rifle within a brisk walk or arm's reach and a clear shot, who wouldn't get in the fight?

Computalotapus
16 October 2014, 12:06

I did read what you wrote. If a person can ring still consistently at 1k yards and then take it out to 1700+ yards and hit steel. I am pretty sure you nor I would like the be the person at 600-800 yards getting hit with the same bullet. Is it ideal? Probably not but it still works at those distances. Could I do it? Right now I probably couldn't hit a target consistently at 600-800 yards but if I took the time to learn how to do it I would have no problems doing it.

The ballistics of rounds now days isn't the same as when the round was first created. Times have changed and the round has changed with it. Goes back to the same with 9mm vs .40 vs .45, back in the day the .45 was king of the hill because it had "knockdown power" as I remember it being told to me. With modern ballistics the 9mm is just as deadly as a .45. The newer rounds for .223 with newer powders and improved barrel materials are far superior to the rounds and rifles used in the Vietnam era.

To get back on topic the reticle might not be designed for the paper punchers but the AR platform isn't limted to 5.56/.223 either. To make a optic targeted for a specific round is designing yourself out of business.

Ride4frnt
16 October 2014, 20:34
Teaser til I get time to mess with the camera.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Firearms/1AFF5A78-E33F-4E26-8ABB-69A97A244E99_zpszgt9ppt0.jpg

Should've bought the aero SPR mount instead of just the extended. The mount is on the front most rail slot on the upper, scope slid back to all the way against the adjustment portion with the front ring. The scope sits just in the right position above the charging handle. Also, the more I look at this stock, the more the regular a2 grows on me.

mustangfreek
17 October 2014, 00:18
Just a heads up, AIM surplus has 92 of these scopes in stock as of this posting..Same price i believe $270 shipped...

Sorry ride..figured others that missed out might want to know..[:D]

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XPAPS16X&name=Primary+Arms+1-6X+Scope+w%2f+ACSS+Reticle&groupid=1058

voodoo_man
17 October 2014, 03:13
Just a heads up, AIM surplus has 92 of these scopes in stock as of this posting..Same price i believe $270 shipped...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XPAPS16X&name=Primary+Arms+1-6X+Scope+w%2f+ACSS+Reticle&groupid=1058

Why must you tempt me so! I have more Optics than I do rifles

Ride4frnt
17 October 2014, 04:33

No skin off my ass. Just a warning to anyone who also wants an Aero mount, buy the SPR length... I need to find a way to rectify that situation now...

Soisauss
17 October 2014, 05:59
No skin off my ass. Just a warning to anyone who also wants an Aero mount, buy the SPR length... I need to find a way to rectify that situation now...

Pretty aero can work with you if you call them.

A2 stock has always and will be my favorite stock for dmr/spr type configuration. The magpul one hasn't grown on me yet, the prs one.

Ride4frnt
17 October 2014, 09:25
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/IMG_2492_zpsd0481a9b.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/IMG_2490_zpsc7d47798.jpg

Ride4frnt
17 October 2014, 12:50
For you guys with experience, what's acceptable as far as the scope being level? I got it as close as I could, and according to my digital level it's within a half a degree or so...

voodoo_man
17 October 2014, 12:57
For you guys with experience, what's acceptable as far as the scope being level? I got it as close as I could, and according to my digital level it's within a half a degree or so...

As long as you use a level you should be fine. I use a bubble level.

Ride4frnt
17 October 2014, 13:05
I had a digital level on it that I checked on multiple known surfaces beforehand, the scope fluctuated between 0.0-0.4 degrees or so. I'm not sure without the proper alignment tools I can get it any closer by hand.

voodoo_man
17 October 2014, 13:26
I had a digital level on it that I checked on multiple known surfaces beforehand, the scope fluctuated between 0.0-0.4 degrees or so. I'm not sure without the proper alignment tools I can get it any closer by hand.

Realistically the difference would be only visible out past 500y or so, I believe (could be wrong), if it is out of degree.

Ride4frnt
17 October 2014, 13:34
I'm gonna sight it in tomorrow using the plumb line method. That will let me know how close I am.

voodoo_man
17 October 2014, 14:12
I'm gonna sight it in tomorrow using the plumb line method. That will let me know how close I am.

i'll just leave this here... http://www.f2sconsulting.com/pages/f2s-tips.htm

Ride4frnt
17 October 2014, 14:28
i'll just leave this here... http://www.f2sconsulting.com/pages/f2s-tips.htm

Awesome! Very informative!

voodoo_man
17 October 2014, 15:16
Awesome! Very informative!

The man knows his stuff, and I zero every rifle I have, irons and optics alike, to that spec.

Ride4frnt
19 October 2014, 17:03
Well, the moment I have been waiting for! Shot this rifle today, finally. The rifle is awesome, this BHW barrel is far more accurate than I am. And this Geissele trigger is incredible.

Now on to the scope. As previously stated, the glass is clear. After finally getting it out into the field and using it, there is little, if not no haziness around the edges. The reticle is very clear and the perfect size. Didnt try the illumination in the daylight, honestly didnt think about it. The scope zeroed very easily, and 5 shots had my on the bull at 25yds. All shots taken off of a sandbag which was sitting on top of my pistol case.

Voodoo asked about the eye box at 1x and 6x. I didnt notice that it shrunk any between magnifications. PA says 4.5" relief at 1x and 4" at 6x, seems to be pretty close to me. After initially thinking the Aero mount I bought kept the scope too far back, I am now retracting that statement. When I'm on the bench or prone I get the correct amount of relief just letting my cheek fall in its natural position. The one thing I did mind, and it may just be personal preference, the back flip cap put a bit too big of a black ring around the scope. Pulled it completely off and it made a world of difference.

Overall, I think this scope is a really exceptional value for $269. Mated with the Aero mount It comes in at a hair over 19oz, which I feel is pretty manageable. The clicks and magnification manipulation are smooth and positive, and the reticle was very easy to acquire and use. If you guys have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

On to the shooting.

Mind you, the first 2 targets, initial zero at 25 and the zero at 100 were shot with 55gr FMJ .223 bulk pack from Dick's, plinking loads at best.

5 shots and it was on at 25yds, each shot is labeled by number which they were fired. Dont mind number 2, my stupid self dialed left not right. 55gr .223 plinking loads.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Misc/c0e15839-d438-4cd8-97df-9e03326e7612_zps411ed20a.jpg

10 more shots of 55gr plinking ammo at 100yds to dial it in.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Misc/d50ed1cb-4476-4d2f-9794-112bc90c7272_zps7fe28bb5.jpg

After initial 100yd zero I switched over to 55gr Hornady VMAX factory loads, much better accuracy. Up to 77gr and I should be cooking with crisco. This is the first 5 shots at 100yds with the 55gr VMAX.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Misc/66b50867-6e00-4691-b4ea-10eb9d27714c_zps803a10d4.jpg

Second 5 shots @100 with 55gr VMAX.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Misc/f820baaf-fd77-495b-bc0e-aeedf4f8ba5d_zps9be7f208.jpg

And this was a random target that another guy left at 50yds that I shot my final 5 rounds of VMAX at. I admittedly pulled the 5th shot, bottom left.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s374/blue94dc4/Misc/fef9f8c9-f3fc-402f-8c14-fc8b6121bbc3_zps2aa192ac.jpg

Kopis
20 October 2014, 12:44
Looks solid. Ive been needing a sight for my blackout when i coyote hunt with it. this looks like it would fit the bill nicely.

Ride4frnt
20 October 2014, 12:54
Looks solid. Ive been needing a sight for my blackout when i coyote hunt with it. this looks like it would fit the bill nicely.

Keep in mind this reticle is calibrated for .223. PA also has this scope in a .300blk model on the way, but no word of release.

GOST
20 October 2014, 19:10
Great review.

UWone77
20 October 2014, 19:13
Great review, picked one up myself to try out because of it. Thanks.

Ride4frnt
20 October 2014, 20:03
Wish I could be more thorough. I've never really done this type of thing. If you guys have anymore questions is be glad to answer if possible. Can't wait to hear your impressions UW. I'm gonna cook up some 69 and 77gr loads as soon as I find some varget or TAC powder, and see what this BHW barrel likes most.

mustangfreek
21 October 2014, 02:00
Great review, picked one up myself to try out because of it. Thanks.

I see rainier has some now....Hummm....

voodoo_man
21 October 2014, 05:33
awesome, thanks for taking the time to post this up.

titanse05
21 October 2014, 07:31
Great review. I've been following these for quite some time but just haven't taken the plunge. Interested to see more reviews.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

GOST
21 October 2014, 10:31
Definitely looks very nice for the price.

Ride4frnt
21 October 2014, 10:52
I got got! Rainier has em for $256. Oh well. I'm certain I can tighten up my 100yd groups with better ammo and more time at the range. I only shot 3 groups. This weekend I'm gonna try and close em up a bit.

UWone77
25 October 2014, 09:59
Didn't shoot for groups today, but just sighted it in. So far, decent glass, appears to be well constructed, solid.

The illumination did cut out once during a string of fire, and the eye relief is a little unforgiving. So far, I like it. For $250, it's not too bad. Will have to shoot it more in the coming weeks.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_2506_zps6621d632.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_2506_zps6621d632.jpg.html)
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_2507_zps09f8514d.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_2507_zps09f8514d.jpg.html)

DutyUse
25 October 2014, 11:10
Nice writeup Ride4frnt. I've been impressed with PA's cost to durability on their products. I would like to try one

Deckard
25 October 2014, 23:20
Didn't shoot for groups today, but just sighted it in. So far, decent glass, appears to be well constructed, solid.

The illumination did cut out once during a string of fire, and the eye relief is a little unforgiving. So far, I like it. For $250, it's not too bad. Will have to shoot it more in the coming weeks.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_2506_zps6621d632.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_2506_zps6621d632.jpg.html)
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_2507_zps09f8514d.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_2507_zps09f8514d.jpg.html)

Let us know how it goes. I'd like to pick one up but I'm still waiting on more reviews.

Ride4frnt
26 October 2014, 07:32
I'm glad I wasn't far off on my description UW. Not having any other variable optics even close to this type, I was reluctant to say this thing was the bees knees. Obviously if you can afford a high quality optic, you are going to get high quality. For $250 this scope is what I thought it would be. Decent glass, solid construction, crisp reticle (you mentioned the illumination going out, I didn't try the illuminating while I was shooting). There are a lot of optics out there in this class for 2-3x the price, but for $250, I won't complain one bit. If I can say the same about having this scope in three years, it'll be money well spent.

nCarnage
28 October 2014, 06:41
Might be interested in one of these come Christmas time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

titanse05
31 October 2014, 21:04
Well I jumped on one and should have it next week. I have a Bobro mount to put it in.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

natemare13
9 November 2014, 19:07
I was seriously torn on the optic to go with for my AR 15. I wanted to stay true to the platform as a carbine but wanted to reach out to have fun at the local range. I would have loved a 1-10x but I just didnt want to spend the cash. I landed on the Primary Arms 1-6x because it seemed to offer the best of all Four worlds: Price, Close Combat, Long Range, Dimensions/weight. I came in just a few days ago and I shot it yesterday. I come from a background of using high quality glass on big bore hunting rifles and I was very surprised at how clear the Primary Arms scope was. I almost immediately had buyers remorse on the $1,000+ scopes I own in regards to the clarity of the image. The eye relief was better then most scopes I've seen typically mounted on ARs which was nice. The build quality was typical..nothing special but also didnt feel cheesy either. The windage/elev. turrets had a nice positive feel - some cheap scopes have play in the turrets. It comes with flip up lens covers which were the most disappointing part. The just didnt work well and the rear one kept calling off. Easily fixed with a $20 after market pair.

At the range, I noticed how light the AR was with this scope. The reticle was nice and clear but I did lose it in shadows. The illumination helps. Sighting the scope in was the typical chore you would expect. The scope held zero just fine. The reticle for distance shooting was actually intuitive. I ended up liking the lack of traditional cross hairs. At 100yrds 6x wasnt enough for me to see my 5.56 bullet holes on white paper. I had two solves. 1) my spotting scope but that was just a pain to take a few shots and look to see where I was hitting. 2) Splatter targets! you know, the ones that change colors where you hit them. No problem seeing those at 6x.

In general, I could not find a scope that offered what the Primary Arms 1-6 does for the price (or even within $100) especially after seeing through it and using it. I especially like the form & fit factor of this scope on the AR platform in general. It's relatively light, offers high magnification for it's weight (and price) and build quality is there to support my decision to keep it on my rifle until they come out with a 1-10x which I would hope beats the market like the 1-6 seems to do in my opinion. I'd recommend to a friend :)

Deckard
21 December 2014, 22:56
ADM is having a sale right now and they have PA's 1-6x in stock. Trying to figure out if I should do it or not. How are these holding up so far for everyone?

Ride4frnt
22 December 2014, 08:01
ADM is having a sale right now and they have PA's 1-6x in stock. Trying to figure out if I should do it or not. How are these holding up so far for everyone?

Only used mine on two outings, but mine is doing well. Held zero in the case just fine, and still works as advertised.

vongkingco
29 December 2014, 10:02
Thanks for the tip on American Defense 10% sale. Ordered this Primary Arms 1-6 scope w Recon-X mount combo. Got the extended mount to move scope up a bit. Hope its not too far up.

Ride4frnt
29 December 2014, 10:34
Thanks for the tip on American Defense 10% sale. Ordered this Primary Arms 1-6 scope w Recon-X mount combo. Got the extended mount to move scope up a bit. Hope its not too far up.

You should be GTG. Can move the mount all the way back on the upper if need be.

Former11B
29 December 2014, 14:40
I still can't decide if I want to give the 1-6 a shot or if I should opt for the capacity of the 4-14x FFP with the ACSS reticle. I know if they made a 1-8 or 2.5-10x Id be all over it. Vortex and NF make a 2.5-10x32 for $800-$1200....a little out of range at the current moment due to ongoing build and wanting another suppressor.

Ride4frnt
29 December 2014, 15:24
I still can't decide if I want to give the 1-6 a shot or if I should opt for the capacity of the 4-14x FFP with the ACSS reticle. I know if they made a 1-8 or 2.5-10x Id be all over it. Vortex and NF make a 2.5-10x32 for $800-$1200....a little out of range at the current moment due to ongoing build and wanting another suppressor.

The 4-14 seems ideal, but that reticle is too busy for my liking.

Former11B
29 December 2014, 17:08
The 4-14 seems ideal, but that reticle is too busy for my liking.

Haven't made up my mind if I want to stick with mils that I'm familiar with or try something new.

I like my ACOG, that once zeroed at 100, takes all the guess work out of it and is precise as hell. Shot a deer in the head Saturday at 150 without much effort, and that was with a fixed 3.5x and 16" Rainier barrel. With an 18" Ultramatch and a 4-14x...lots of potential

But you are right, i do like being able to see through the scope and not have too much "clutter". We shall see. Gotta get the barrel first then the optic

DutyUse
29 December 2014, 20:12
I think I'd rather have the PA fixed 4x for my 14.5 Noveske. I've never been fond of true 1x scopes because their NOT rds (no matter what u read on arf) and the field of view is much smaller compared to a traditional scope.

Just my opinion though. Don't flame me :D

vongkingco
5 April 2015, 17:38

I finally got a chance to shoot with this 1-6X Primary Arms scope. Its pretty damn good. Easy to sight in (I used a laser bore sight, indoors, just to get it close) This scope was consistently accurate at 100 yards and fun to shoot with. I definitely like this scope.
I have this Primary Arms 1-6x scope on a Aero Precision forged upper & lower with Daniel Defense 18" CMV barrel & Parrallax Tactical 15" FSSR rail.

JHoward
5 April 2015, 17:55
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xft1/v/t35.0-12/11069585_10203775187876517_498769962_o.jpg?efg=eyJ pIjoidCJ9&oh=940ee85d8709da1f53634c84b65a28c2&oe=5524239E&__gda__=1428420332_8780011a997848d1a5867a74bd5b161 4

I finally got mine and my ADM Scout mount. I shot it today and it didn't fall apart. Have not gone long range or anything.