PDA

View Full Version : To Reprofile or Buy New

Liberal_Strong
17 October 2014, 00:02
so my current active AR is running a 16" hbar barrel by BHW. its a nice, accurate barrel but i plan on going 18" spr which leaves me with a spare barrel. for my next build i wanna go lightweight and shorter to 14.5 or 13.7 (pin & weld). however green mountain barrel sells a 14.5" for about $150 (sale) and if i buy that ill still have an hbar laying around. in turn, i dont want spare parts and wanna utilize all i have however reprofiling, dis/assembly, pin & weld would cost more than $150. so should i just buy a new 14.5" and keep a spare barrel or reprofile the hbar?

Chevtec
17 October 2014, 04:30
Sell the hbar in the classifieds section.

Deckard
17 October 2014, 05:03
I'd never take any material off an already finished barrel. Just sell it and get a new lighter barrel.

Pyzik
17 October 2014, 05:37
Buy the Green Mountain and sell the 16" HBAR.

I never have spare parts (other than maintenance parts) laying around. I always sell my stuff and put the cash toward the next part.

UWone77
17 October 2014, 08:56
I would just build an entirely new upper around the barrel you want. But that's just me. [:D]

rob_s
17 October 2014, 10:07
Not even 5 years ago the choices in barrels was pretty limited. 10 years ago it was non-existent. That's when re-profiling was a viable option, and in some cases the only option.

Today, there's no good reason for it. Sell/keep the HBAR and buy the barrel you want.

Liberal_Strong
17 October 2014, 11:37
I would just build an entirely new upper around the barrel you want. But that's just me. [:D]
Now why was I expecting you to say this?? I'm gonna have to sell a kidney...

Thanks for the responses guy I guess I'll sell the hbar and get a new barrel!

UWone77
17 October 2014, 11:48
Now why was I expecting you to say this?? I'm gonna have to sell a kidney...

Thanks for the responses guy I guess I'll sell the hbar and get a new barrel!

Mainly because of the barrel market now. You can get a lot of quality barrels for $200 and under. I imagine a used HBAR will bring in very few buyers and at a low price. It may not be worth it to sell.

Liberal_Strong
17 October 2014, 12:06
Mainly because of the barrel market now. You can get a lot of quality barrels for $200 and under. I imagine a used HBAR will bring in very few buyers and at a low price. It may not be worth it to sell.
Exactly this too. There not a lot of people wanting an hbar and at 16" when you can get an 18" for a little more with better muzzle velocity and itll weigh about the same. That's why I asked for people's opinion on what to do...