PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Minigun Concept

Cutaway
9 October 2008, 15:30
Here is a concept i came up with earlier today, A "Minigun" upper reciever that can be attached to any existing AR15/M16 lower recievers. I thought it would be ideal for heavy firefight situations or just a fun range weapon for those who want the feel of somthing more exotic. As real gatling guns will never be man-portable, This concept can as its rate of fire will not be so high but may acelerate the longer it is fired. The "M16 Minigun" may operate on a form of delayed blowback combined with a "Webley-Fosbery" grooved drum underneath the bolt to rotate the barrels. It may be fed from a magazine/drum and chambered in 5.56x45mm NATO.

Although it looks, It is not or no way a gatling gun but a machine gun that changes its barrels for each shot reducing overheating/erosion.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3289/arminigungr4.jpg

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/1344/bomsequence1ih.jpg

parabellum
10 October 2008, 00:29
um? [crazy]

Heijutsu
21 November 2008, 09:01
Yeah, what he said.[wstupid]

Ryo
22 January 2009, 15:34
[wstupid][wstupid][wstupid]

TraitorJackKnives
25 January 2009, 19:15
Why would you want to destroy the great thing that is an AR15 for that? Just get some Beta C-Mags.

TJK

Ryo
25 January 2009, 20:42
Why would you want to destroy the great thing that is an AR15 for that? Just get some Beta C-Mags.

I think you missed the point. He wants it as a gatling gun.. and maybe doesn't realize that the AR platform could never do that for so many different reasons. Let alone the ability to feed in rounds fast enough to keep up with a gatling.

Ryo
25 January 2009, 20:43
Opps I didn't mean gatling.. but the functionality of doing what he wants to do.

TraitorJackKnives
26 January 2009, 09:11
From what I understood he wants a multi-barreled upper receiver that could be used with an ar15 lower receiver. The idea is good but would be unimaginably hard to produce though. I just took the shortcut of saying "Why would you want to destroy the great thing that is an AR15 for that?"

TJK

Army Chief
26 January 2009, 10:04
A real Gatling Gun will never be man-portable.

OK, check.

I'm still not sure (a) how this isn't effectively the same thing as a Gatling Gun, and (b) how it is anything close to man-portable. With that many barrels and a receiver of sufficient strength, it seem to me that we're talking about a 15-20 pound upper, minimum.

AC

Arclight
26 January 2009, 12:38
Hah, not to blatantly advertise but Rainier Arms does sell that Bushmaster Pneumatic Recoil buffer. Slowing down the ROF might just save you money on all that lead you'd be breathing.

The ACOG on the concept was the icing on the cake.

Army Chief
26 January 2009, 12:47
It's getting very difficult to tell where the speculative conjecture ends, and the openly tongue-in-cheek part begins. Or not. ;)

Personally, I think a T-1 would do nicely.

AC

Ryo
26 January 2009, 14:38
From minigun barrel upper receiver to pneumatic recoil buffer to T-1.. Boy i'm confused now.
:confused: http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_wave.gif

Army Chief
26 January 2009, 22:38
The T-1 comment was merely an acknowledgement that I "flinched," and had given up on trying to offer constructive input on a project that seemed to be otherwise headed in the direction of the patently absurd. Gatlings don't need optical sights ... they just need a nice tracer mix. :)

AC

Arclight
27 January 2009, 16:14
But tracers might cause a heat issue, so why not water cool the thing? Or better yet, use the water-cooling drum and blend your own delicious coffee with it.

Army Chief
27 January 2009, 22:54
I'm all for delicious coffee, but I'm pretty sure that this is the wrong forum for this particular kind of thought progression. ;)

It has been said that Edison failed thousands, if not tens of thousands, of times for every successful experiment he developed, so I'm all for creative thinking; that said, I'm reasonably confident that this particular concept has run its course.

AC

CAPT KIRK
28 January 2009, 17:46
Hmmmm....

Mini Gun Rate of Fire Generally equals 3000 round per minute.

Calculating this, figuring our AR-15 lower with a 30 round magazine and we find we are now doing a mag change every 6/10ths of a second.

MMMMM.... Bust!!! I dont think even Larry Vickers can change Mags that fast.