Aero Precision Blem Upper $40.00
MAS Defense 16" Barrel $130.00
SOTA Arms 7.62x39 BCG $100.00
Strike Industries AR Mega Fin 15" Keymod $160.00
Gas Block and Gas Tube $30.00
Strike Industries Charging Handle Extended Latch $30.00
PWS FSC 30 $100.00
AR15 7.62x39 5rd Stainless Steel Mag x2 $28.00

Roughly a $800 build as of right now but I will be waiting for black Friday to try and pick up some things on sale and try and get this under $650.
Pulled the idea and most of the parts from Tactical Lumberjack blog.

WHSmithIV
18 October 2014, 10:49
That's a similar price list to what I put together for the 7.62x39 pistol I'm building. I'll be using a 10.5" nitrided barrel on the pistol build. Hope to be able to buy it at Christmas time. It has certainly helped the cause that I won one of the Right to Bear Arms & Supply upper receivers from Stick's giveaway. You might want to look at the Strike Industries 15" Megafins keymod rail. It's $30 cheaper than the Evo rail. That would save you a little in the budget. SOTA Arms has a complete 7.62x39 BCG for 99.99. that saves you a little more too..

eldogg
18 October 2014, 10:52
IF you're going to shoot steel case, i would find an enhanced firing pin. It will aid in the primer strikes. ACS 20rnd mags are the sh*t too!

WHSmithIV
18 October 2014, 10:56
IF you're going to shoot steel case, i would find an enhanced firing pin. It will aid in the primer strikes. ACS 20rnd mags are the sh*t too!

eldogg - the ACS 20 round mags seem to be quite hard to find. 30 round ones are available though. I haven't decided on mags yet but I do have a line on steel mags that are $37 each shipped. Kind of pricey. Just for testing though, standard P-mags can be loaded with 8 rounds of 7.62x39 and will work. I know a guy who loads 10 rounds in his.

eldogg
18 October 2014, 11:06
I BUY DIRECT.
http://www.ammosc.com/7-62-x-39-20-rd-magazine/

WHSmithIV
18 October 2014, 11:20
Thanks eldogg. Those 20 round FDE mags are what I want to get. Maybe one 30 round mag too.

eldogg
18 October 2014, 11:38
Computalotapus, looks like you're going to have a fine build. i really enjoy mine, especially with the current ammo prices.

Computalotapus
18 October 2014, 12:43
Thanks fellas for the heads ups on options. Switched out the rail and BCG as suggested. I will look at an enhanced firing pin as well. This is mainly going to be a hunting rifle that is why I picked the 5 round mags.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

Nathan_Mack
18 October 2014, 13:23
Looking forward to this build at fruition. I've always had an intrigue for 7.62x39 AR builds.

WHSmithIV
18 October 2014, 13:45
Thanks fellas for the heads ups on options. Switched out the rail and BCG as suggested. I will look at an enhanced firing pin as well. This is mainly going to be a hunting rifle that is why I picked the 5 round mags.

I'm good at finding parts at good prices. I have a list of many and of manufacturers that have good stuff at good prices. Rather than that $45.00 charging handle, take a look at the Strike Industries ARCH charging handle. It's $20 and if you included it at the same time as buying their handguard they'd both ship likely for the same shipping cost. Where are you planning on getting the barrel from?

Tactical Ambush has 16" nitride coated 7.62x39 barrels for $120
http://www.tacticalambush.com/Ar15-762x39-M4-Ar15-16-Barrel-by-Tactical-Ambush-_p_251.html

Computalotapus
18 October 2014, 14:02
I'm good at finding parts at good prices. I have a list of many and of manufacturers that have good stuff at good prices. Rather than that $45.00 charging handle, take a look at the Strike Industries ARCH charging handle. It's $20 and if you included it at the same time as buying their handguard they'd both ship likely for the same shipping cost. Where are you planning on getting the barrel from?

Tactical Ambush has 16" nitride coated 7.62x39 barrels for $120
http://www.tacticalambush.com/Ar15-762x39-M4-Ar15-16-Barrel-by-Tactical-Ambush-_p_251.html

Cool deal updated the OP this gets the base down to $685 roughly before shipping costs come in. Not a bad budget build

WHSmithIV
18 October 2014, 15:25
Just a note - do yourself a favor before you install your barrel. Use some 0000 steel wool and polish the barrel chamber well. You want to make sure you give the barrel a thorough internal cleaning also. I had a problem with the first test firing of a barrel and asked the manufacturer about it. The empty cartridge didn't extract. What they told me was that you want to polish the chamber and make sure that no tiny particles are left over from the manufacturing process. A rod down the barrel with a gentle tap freed the empty cartridge case. Polishing the chamber solved the problem. After that the rifle was fine. It would have been easier to do though if I had done it before installing the barrel. The expansion of the neck of the cartridge as the bullet fired is what caused it to get stuck. The extractor happily simply ripped a bit of brass from the base of the cartridge. I saved that empty cartridge case also as a reminder.

WHSmithIV
18 October 2014, 16:03
Just looking over the list, $80 for the LPK and buffer tube seems a little high. PSA has complete LPK's for $40 http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/15156/category/389/

Even DSArms carries a complete buffer kit for $30. I know one place with a complete carbine stock kit including 6 position stock for $36. It should be possible to shave a little off of that $80 price. PSA also has a complete stock kit for $40. Sell the stock itself for 10 or 15 on e-bay if you want to buy and use that fixed carbine stock.

Computalotapus
18 October 2014, 16:22
Yeah im going with a fixed stock on this. Figures on stop shopping saves me on shipping versus buying from all over the place :)

Soisauss
18 October 2014, 16:44
How about posting the parts pic foo... :) :p

UWone77
18 October 2014, 16:54
I didn't know Comp was already starting a new build!

Computalotapus
18 October 2014, 17:11
How about posting the parts pic foo... :) :p

Haha this is the initial parts list subject to change as I start buying parts. I will post pics as parts come in. But wont start picking anything up till black Friday most likely

I didn't know Comp was already starting a new build!

Getting the list put together. Also have a list for the pistol build that will start after New Year's.

mustangfreek
18 October 2014, 19:25
Cool build comp!!

Havent gave the 762 build much thought...but seems like a good blaster as steel case ammo is cheap right now..

WHSmithIV
19 October 2014, 18:34
Comp - I've been working on my spreadsheet some for my parts list for my AR-47 10.5" barrel pistol. With having won the upper receiver from Sticks giveaway, that's certainly helped some. Plus, some guys in our forum here have sent parts they had extra. Looks like I have my final cost under $500 including the lower receiver I already own. That leaves me with digging up the $400+ I need over the next 9 months for things like the barrel, BCG and handguard which are the highest cost parts. However, I think I'll manage to get this AR-47 pistol done under a $500 budget and have 2 mags for it. Shipping costs will be the question for some of the parts. Stickman's giveaway upper receiver gift is sure a nice help too. I do check classifieds also for parts - I bought the free float handguard with two gas blocks, two castle nut wrenches and a lower vice block for the rifle I finally finished after 1½ years of struggling to spare money to build it for $50 from a classified ad.

I'm going to 'try' to build this AR-47 pistol the way I want it, but, if some windfall comes my way, then the configuration can change. I use the Gunstruction application which is free to use from your computer for getting ideas on how my design will look. 7.62x39 isn't a design option yet in Gunstruction but designing with the .300 Blackout parts get's one close except for the mags. I certainly can't afford so many of the expensive parts there, but I do find parts that 'look' or are 'equivalent' to parts I am going to use for a final build. Had I won a handguard instead of an upper receiver, my 7.62x39 pistol would have become a carbine instead. I have 40 rounds of 7.62x39 steel core AP ammo that I bought a few years ago, but nothing I can shoot it with should I ever need to. That is my driving factor for building an AR-47 in any configuration.

How about we both keep each other posted in this thread as to how we are progressing? I do need to keep my progress updated in the Thank You thread I started when I won the upper receiver so that the guys who have sent me and are sending me their extra parts to help can also be updated on progress.

First, I will finish the lower. Then, I'll work on the upper. I will get it done though!

I will be using the SOTA Arms BCG - I haven't found one at a lower cost. The best deal I've found on a barrel is the Tactical Ambush 10.5" nitride barrel. So, I'll be using that unless some huge sale somewhere comes across my path. The rest of the parts... well that will be the question. Slowly digging out of a financial hole isn't fun.

WHSmithIV
19 October 2014, 18:38
I will keep your build in my mind Comp as I search for parts and if I find good deals, I'll be sure to let you know. I do like the title of the thread you started - the 'AR-47' [:)]

Computalotapus
19 October 2014, 18:42
I will keep your build in my mind Comp as I search for parts and if I find good deals, I'll be sure to let you know. I do like the title of the thread you started - the 'AR-47' [:)]

There are no plans as of right now for me to start picking up any of the more expensive parts on this before black Friday. I will pick up some of the cheaper stuff from paycheck to paycheck tho.

Computalotapus
20 October 2014, 13:27
Updated Parts list switch to Aero Blems after reading multiple reviews on the Anderson upper. I am a set type guy anyways and the $10 extra on the set is worth it to me just for the piece of mind.

WHSmithIV
20 October 2014, 15:20
Updated Parts list switch to Aero Blems after reading multiple reviews on the Anderson upper. I am a set type guy anyways and the $10 extra on the set is worth it to me just for the piece of mind.

I haven't used any Anderson upper receivers, I have one of their lower receivers which seems fine. I had a PSA blem upper receiver on the last one. They can be had for $40 when PSA has them available. I couldn't find any blems on it either and I did look for them.

Computalotapus
27 October 2014, 05:14
Updated list to switch to a PWS FSC 30 going to get a GemTech suppressor after the new year.

Gaspipeshooter
28 October 2014, 05:40
I like the "AR47" designation. I built a 7.62x39 upper due to the proliferation of inexpensive ammo in that caliber. I have actually built two, but the first one I sold before I ever even fired it to my friend/local gun store owner when I took it in to the shop to show him. Turned right around and ordered parts for this one.
YHM muzzle device
YHM 16" barrel
YHM lo pro gas block
YHM gas tube
Colt 7.62x39 bolt
Bolt carrier and charging handle are parts I had in the parts drawer.
Aero Precision Upper
Midwest Industries Gen II 12" Handguard

http://www.ohiowaterfowler.com/MISCPHOTOS/AR47a.jpg

http://www.ohiowaterfowler.com/MISCPHOTOS/AR47b.jpg

While not technically a "budget" build, It runs fine and I've had no problems with steel cased ammo so far.

Computalotapus
28 October 2014, 05:46
I like the "AR47" designation. I built a 7.62x39 upper due to the proliferation of inexpensive ammo in that caliber. I have actually built two, but the first one I sold before I ever even fired it to my friend/local gun store owner when I took it in to the shop to show him. Turned right around and ordered parts for this one.
YHM muzzle device
YHM 16" barrel
YHM lo pro gas block
YHM gas tube
Colt 7.62x39 bolt
Bolt carrier and charging handle are parts I had in the parts drawer.
Aero Precision Upper
Midwest Industries Gen II 12" Handguard

http://www.ohiowaterfowler.com/MISCPHOTOS/AR47a.jpg

http://www.ohiowaterfowler.com/MISCPHOTOS/AR47b.jpg

While not technically a "budget" build, It runs fine and I've had no problems with steel cased ammo so far.

That is a pretty sweet upper. I think the budget is going to move up as the parts collection starts taking place. Already wanting to get a more accurate barrel as I will use this for hunting.

Gaspipeshooter
28 October 2014, 05:53
That is a pretty sweet upper. I think the budget is going to move up as the parts collection starts taking place. Already wanting to get a more accurate barrel as I will use this for hunting.

Thank you. The dust cover is from YHM as well. Being old and forgetful, I figured a positive ID feature so I didn't get mixed up would be a help...[BD] I plan to put a dedicated RDS on it, nothing super high dollar though. Probably something from Vortex Optics or Primary Arms. With some 123 grain HP ammo, I'm thinking it would take a white tail deer with no problem, or be a good home defense choice.

Computalotapus
28 October 2014, 06:16
Thank you. The dust cover is from YHM as well. Being old and forgetful, I figured a positive ID feature so I didn't get mixed up would be a help...[BD] I plan to put a dedicated RDS on it, nothing super high dollar though. Probably something from Vortex Optics or Primary Arms. With some 123 grain HP ammo, I'm thinking it would take a white tail deer with no problem, or be a good home defense choice.

Yeah I read a lot of reviews from people using the 7.62x39 for white tail and the SP and HP rounds had no issues with white tail out to 160yds. My longest shot would probably be just shy of 100yds. I will be doing a complete rifle and it will get a predator camo cerakote job on it to help me keep from getting it mixed up with the .223 rifles. I am looking at the Primary Arms Gen2 1-6x ACSS optic for this rifle most likely. Ride4frnt's review on it has me leaning really heavy on that optic.

Kopis
28 October 2014, 06:18
sweet upper. Ive got a spare lower sitting around. I may do one of those eventually.

Computalotapus
15 November 2014, 18:01
Parts ordering has commenced standby for part by part updates to start rolling in haha

mustangfreek
16 November 2014, 03:47
Nice, you want/need that AFG2 back? I dont have the gun anymore its on, and well its just sitting here..let me know

Computalotapus
16 November 2014, 07:25
Nice, you want/need that AFG2 back? I dont have the gun anymore its on, and well its just sitting here..let me know

No worries man. She has picked out a fortis keymod angeled foregrip.

mustangfreek
17 November 2014, 23:45
No worries man. She has picked out a fortis keymod angeled foregrip.

Nice..Okay..

Computalotapus
24 November 2014, 05:21
Was down in Alabama visiting family real quick. Uncle handed me 500 rounds of 7.62x39 said he didn't have anything that would shoot it and since I was building the AR-47 thought I could use it.

WHSmithIV
24 November 2014, 05:33
I was doing some research on bolts etc. It appears that for these we really want the enhanced firing pins and possible enhanced bolts too. MGI makes an enhanced bolt firing pin combo. It's $125 though just for the bolt and firing pin.

Computalotapus
24 November 2014, 05:43
I was doing some research on bolts etc. It appears that for these we really want the enhanced firing pins and possible enhanced bolts too. MGI makes an enhanced bolt firing pin combo. It's $125 though just for the bolt and firing pin.

I am all squared away on my BCG already but thanks for the info.

Gaspipeshooter
24 November 2014, 09:19
Was down in Alabama visiting family real quick. Uncle handed me 500 rounds of 7.62x39 said he didn't have anything that would shoot it and since I was building the AR-47 thought I could use it.

Gotta love free ammo to sort of offset the cost of the trip...

Computalotapus
25 November 2014, 14:33
FortTom thank you so much for the grip. The stock came in the yesterday but since the oldest bought it for me for my birthday she will not give it to me till next weekend on my birthday. LPK and Buffer kit will get ordered soon. Lower receiver was shipped from Aero Precision and should be showing up at the LGS soon. The youngest ordered the CH as a bday present and it will hopefully be here before next weekend. After that I will start ordering upper parts in January and this should come together pretty quick. Think I am going to do the receiver set and rail in foliage along with the stock and grip and leave everything else black on this rifle.

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/moegrip.jpg

FortTom
25 November 2014, 16:27
I have 3 rifles with the foliage green/black scheme. Magpul announced a while back that they are ditching foliage green. So my AR-10 just got the OD green/black scheme. The rest are just, sigh... black.[BD] Creature of habit. No problem with the grip, I'm going to start "passing forward" a bunch of stuff. I've just got too much stuff to be dragging around. I want to keep some "emergency" repair parts, but lose some stuff that I don't even remember what it came off.

Waiting to see the finished project.

FT

vincentvega
30 November 2014, 12:31
save yourself some time and get the enhanced firing pin if you haven't already. I built my x39 pistol about a year and a half ago and I ran an ARP enhanced bolt which was supposed to be able to use a standard firing pin. I was getting light strikes all over the place and I went and got the MGI enhanced pin. Now it lights off every round with no problems.

WHSmithIV
30 November 2014, 13:02
I have already planned for the enhanced firing pin. Red X Arms has them for $10. thanks for the info about the ARP bolt. I'll check it out. It's one of the 4 parts I still need.

WHSmithIV
30 November 2014, 13:18
I just checked - ARP doesn't have 7.62 bolts anymore - I found a Yankee Hill Machine bolt and enhanced firing pin for $85 though. I might decide to go with that.

Gaspipeshooter
30 November 2014, 17:05
I have already planned for the enhanced firing pin. Red X Arms has them for $10. thanks for the info about the ARP bolt. I'll check it out. It's one of the 4 parts I still need.

My dealings with Red X have been less than satisfactory. Just an FYI.

eldogg
30 November 2014, 17:22
I played with an RRA LAR 47 today at the fun show. it was a NICE build! just didn't feel like dropping $1250. plus tax though......

Dstrbdmedic167
30 November 2014, 17:30
I still LOVE my VZ-2008. One of the favorite rifles.

Computalotapus
3 December 2014, 08:54
Aero Blem Lower came in today ( early bday present from the wife )

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/aerolower.jpg

Gaspipeshooter
3 December 2014, 09:14
Aero Blem Lower came in today ( early bday present from the wife )

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/aerolower.jpg

I see no blem?

Computalotapus
3 December 2014, 09:24
I see no blem?

Yeah I looked and looked and I couldn't find one. Doesn't matter it is going to get cerakoted foliage to match the grip and stock. Small parts, barrel, RAC, and CH will be the only thing left black on this rifle.

Gaspipeshooter
3 December 2014, 09:44
Yeah I looked and looked and I couldn't find one. Doesn't matter it is going to get cerakoted foliage to match the grip and stock. Small parts, barrel, RAC, and CH will be the only thing left black on this rifle.

Can't wait to see it!

Kopis
3 December 2014, 10:08
Ive bought a couple blem lowers too, could never find a blem myself either! Theyre a good buy.

Computalotapus
4 December 2014, 10:48
After enough of me begging the oldest to give me the stock she broke down and let me have it so I would leave her alone about it.. my birthday is this Saturday if any of you want to send me something look at the OP of this thread :)

Magpul MOE Fixed Length Stock

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/ar47.jpg

mustangfreek
4 December 2014, 15:05
Nice job , stealing the kids' stuff..lol..

Well happy early b-day..mine is about a week and a half behind yours...

Computalotapus
4 December 2014, 16:19
Nice job , stealing the kids' stuff..lol..

Well happy early b-day..mine is about a week and a half behind yours...

Lol she got it for me...she was going to hold out till Saturday

Slippers
4 December 2014, 17:13
Man...if my wife ever buys me a firearms related part (let alone a lower receiver), I will go out and buy her a diamond on the same day. Please, nobody show her this message.

Computalotapus
4 December 2014, 17:16
Man...if my wife ever buys me a firearms related part (let alone a lower receiver), I will go out and buy her a diamond on the same day. Please, nobody show her this message.

My wife looks at my build lists that is in my Azure drive. That is where she pulls for gift ideas for me. And yes I am a lucky man, she likes to shoot as much as me..she wants a .50 and I am not going to tell her no. haha

Ride4frnt
4 December 2014, 17:28
My wife looks at my build lists that is in my Azure drive. That is where she pulls for gift ideas for me. And yes I am a lucky man, she likes to shoot as much as me..she wants a .50 and I am not going to tell her no. haha

Everyone loves a little barrett action.

Computalotapus
6 December 2014, 14:21
Ordered the buffer tube kit today. Found a couple extra lower parts laying around so gonna order what I am missing from White Oak Armament along with a ALG QMS trigger. Ordering what I am missing from WOA will put me at the same price as just ordering a LPK but I will end up with a better than mil spec trigger.

Pivot Pin
Takedown Pin
2x pivot/takedown spings
2x pivote/takedown detents
bolt catch assembly
magazine catch assembly
buffer retainer
buffer retainer spring
safety selector spring
ALG QMS Trigger

Computalotapus
6 December 2014, 19:21
So the wife surprised me with a surprise birthday party and some my friends gave up a lil cash as a bday present. Took some of that money and ordered all the small parts. I will pick up the ALG QMS trigger after the 15th.

Ride4frnt
8 December 2014, 01:55
And I surprise facetimed you!

Computalotapus
8 December 2014, 03:58

Yes you did and so did the DMO crew :)

akersc
8 December 2014, 07:08

Thank you for doing that :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computalotapus
11 December 2014, 15:03
Mail Call today:

Primary Arms: Buffer Tube Assembly
White Oak Armament: Bolt Catch Assembly, Magazine Catch Assembly, Buffer Detent, Buffer Detent Spring, Takedown Pin, Pivot Pin, 2x Takedown/Pivot Pin Springs, Safety Selector Spring

Madison (my daughter) and I would both like to thank schambers for donating the ALG Combat Trigger

The upper receiver was ordered today. Will probably try and pick up the rail next so I can send the upper, lower, and rail down to Mike and get cerakoted Magpul Foliage. After it gets back from there I will start assembly.

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/ar47lower.jpg

schambers
11 December 2014, 16:46
That trigger got to you a lot faster than I thought it would. Hope you two enjoy it!

Computalotapus
11 December 2014, 17:01
That trigger got to you a lot faster than I thought it would. Hope you two enjoy it!

Seriously man I really appreciate it. And she is excited to put it together. When the stuff comes back from cerakote I will try and get some pictures of her putting everything together.

Computalotapus
19 December 2014, 05:53
Upper from Aero Precision came in the other day.

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/ar47upper.jpg

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/ar47build.jpg

Gaspipeshooter
19 December 2014, 08:30
I'm chomping at the bit to see this thing together. What else are you waiting on, parts-wise?

CK 187
19 December 2014, 09:03
Mail Call today:

http://www.computalotapus.com/images/ar47lower.jpg

Very nice!!!!!!! I've always had the idea of a 7.62 AR in my mind

Computalotapus
19 December 2014, 09:06
I'm chomping at the bit to see this thing together. What else are you waiting on, parts-wise?

Now it is just building out the upper.

BCM Mod4 CH
YMH 7.62x39 BCG (NiB coated by FailZero)
16" 7.62x39 Barrel from Faxon Firearms + gas tube/block
Strike Industries 13" Keymod MegaFin Rail
And probably a PWS FSC30 for the muzzle

Probably going to mount a PA 1-4x or maybe a 4-16x44

all in all I am going to be under $800 on this I think. Snagged some good deals earlier this month, plus donation of the FCG and Grip and a couple items being birthday presents I don't have much going into this rifle.