PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Carry & Why.

browcs
19 October 2014, 14:16
Recently, I read an article by Jerry Jones on the excellent site Modern Service Weapons (www.modernserviceweapons.com) where Mr. Jones discusses his experience with a person decked out in Multi-Cam-everything and every high priced rifle component conceivable but unable to translate that gear into any kind of consistent performance. This article in turn led to self-evaluate what I carry day-in, day-out on and off-duty.

Thankfully, I am in an LE agency that allows minimal leeway with respects to ancillary equipment; read: holsters and magazine carriers. That is not the case with the firearm and ammunition. We must carry while on duty the Glock 23 Generation 4 with Trijicon night sights loaded with Winchester .40 S&W bonded 180 grain JHP. We are authorized to carry the Glock 27 in-lieu of the Glock 23. Off-duty, we are not restricted to carrying the Glock. As such, as followers of mine well know, I carry a Walther PPQ 9mm "M1." The "M1" variant utilizes a magazine paddle release unique to Walther and similar to the Heckler & Koch magazine paddle releases, albeit longer and, in my opinion, more ergonomic.

With this preamble and keeping the Jones article in mind, I am curious as to what our membership carries, but more importantly, why. The "why" is important because, I think, like the MC-fan in Mr. Jones' article and a question our very own Rob S. constantly asks, having something just because it look "cool" or because Costa, Pannone, Defoor, or other top-flight instructors uses and/or endorses it can be counterproductive. Finally, I ask "why" because sometimes it opens my eyes as to my choices.

With all of that, this photo is representative of what I usually carry while off-duty. Bear in mind, I do switch up depending on the method of carry, dress, or other factors.

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj565/browcs/Handguns/WaltherPPQ5InforceAPL_zps52d18ef4.jpg (http://s1268.photobucket.com/user/browcs/media/Handguns/WaltherPPQ5InforceAPL_zps52d18ef4.jpg.html)

(Left to right):

1. Off the Grid (OTGHEX) Nocturnal Sidewinder out-of-the-waistband (OWB) kydex holster.
2. Walther PPQ 9mm handgun loaded with Speer Gold Dot 124 JHP (GDHP) Grain +P LE ammunition with an Inforce APL weaponlight.
3. Nitecore P12 flashlight
4. OTGHEX kydex magazine pouch with a spare Walther PPQ/P99 9mm magazine also loaded with Speer GD, and
5. Quartermaster Knives QTR-6 Orville “Rick” Wright folding knife.

Now for the "why."

I carry the Walther PPQ because it fits my hand perfectly. It points extremely well, has an excellent trigger pull, and recoil recovery is fast even with +P or +P+ ammunition. The cost for the PPQ is modest ($550 to $600) and their magazines are readily available and, thankfully, not cost prohibitive which is another plus for me.

I went with Speer's GDHP +P due to reports it has worked well on the street like it's competitor, the Federal HST 124 Grain HP +P LE ammunition. I could not find the HST round at the time. My PPQ shoots the Speer load well. At some point, I may switch, after testing it out for reliability and accuracy of course.

The Inforce APL is an excellent weaponlight. While not as powerful as Surefire's 500 lumen X300 Ultra, it is certainly powerful given it only uses a single CR123A battery. I like it's intuitive single-button on-off/constant-on feature which is the main reason I really like this light. Of less importance, but somewhat handy, is it comes off the gun quick with it's lever. On the issue of weaponlights on handguns, I think these are no less important on a handgun as on a rifle/carbine. Though, as with everything else firearms related, one needs to be trained on its proper deployment.

Despite my love of leather holsters, I went with kydex as it now the standard in particular with carrying a weaponlight-equipped handgun. OTGHEX's holster and magazine pouch are extremely well made. I have not hit the deck hard in training with this holster, but I suspect it will hold up well to hard use.

Nitecore makes excellent flashlights. This one boasts 950 lumens at its highest setting. I don't know if that is accurate. I do know that I one time made of the mistake of looking at my mirror when I had an light "accidental discharge" with it....to say it was really bright would be an understatement.

Finally, the three-inch bladed, frame locked QTR-6 has to be one of the stoutest folding knives I own (second to the QTR-4 Hannibal I also own). The flipper "device" on it allows for fast openings. This knife is heavy so wearing thin-material pants will cause your pockets to droop somewhat. Still, it is near fixed-blade tough.

The aforementioned is some of the gear I use. It all works (or I wouldn't carry it), but I sometimes switch things around. For example, I will carry my Walther PPQ in an Armordillo Concealment X-FER appendix in-the-waistband holster made for the Streamlight TLR-1 series weaponlight. While I like the TLR-1s (what I own), I prefer the APL. Carrying in the appendix position works for me, but it is not my primary means of carrying a weapon; I do not carry my duty gun in that way, so it still an alien way of carrying a gun.

Well, that is what I carry, off-duty at least, and a bit of "why" I do.

What about you?

Former11B
20 October 2014, 16:09
I am not an LEO but am former military so all of my carry is "off duty" and subject to Concealed Carry laws of my state.

My primary is a Glock 19 3rd Gen carried in a hybrid (kydex/horsehide) holster made by Sticky Wire Holsters (local SC holster company). I carry a second magazine for it, both loaded with Gold Dot 124gr +P JHP ammunition. I carried the G19 in a Galco Summer Comfort leather holster for a while and then on a trade got this kydex holster. It made such a huge difference with weight dispersal along my belt and for one-handed reholstering of the pistol after drawing it, as my waistband/belt would collapse the Galco holster requiring a two-handed reholster effort. I like the horse-hide of the Sticky Wire holster because of it's durability and sweat resistance over cow leather. The reliability of the Glock combined with the not-too-big/not-too-small nature of the model 19 is the reason I chose that particular model. It also serves as a suppressor host and sometimes sports a threaded barrel.

I have a couple different knives I carry: One is an assisted opening Benchmade and the other is a Gerber -06 Automatic I was given while still on active duty. I primarily carry the Benchmade because it holds a better edge and is lighter in weight, but both are excellent knives.

I don't carry a weapon mounted flashlight, and since size and weight is of great importance to me, I carry a very small Streamlight Microstream flashlight. It is 3.5" in length and weighs just a hair over an ounce, powered by a AAA battery. The LED produces 35 Lumens/360 Candela, and for it's size, it's very bright...not so bright it'll blind a home intruder, but bright enough to allow me to see whatever it is that I'm doing. Carrying a flaslight in my pocket as a part of my "daily carry" equipment is a rather new thing, but I swear I use it enough to make me wonder how I never got one sooner.

Stone
20 October 2014, 16:51
First and foremost I carry situational awareness and common sense above all else. SLD is 12+ years of martial arts. TLD would be my XDM9 or .45 with and extra mag in a Kytex mag carrier. I run Federal Tactical bonded 135g+p and 230g+p I do keep a Surefire flashlight in the truck just in case, never found the need to carry it on my side. OWB holster is the one that came with the pistol, works well so I didn't see a need to change it. IWB holster is Concealment solutions Black Mamba, very comfortable. I like things low profile, simple and effective. That is a great article BTW! "and I explained to him that some of the top shooters I have had in class have looked, dressed, and acted like very fit homeless guys. They didn’t wear gloves, thigh holsters, or multicam. But, what they did do is have very clean gun handling, and they could hit whatever they wished upon demand."

JoshAston
20 October 2014, 17:01
Nothing, I live in MD :(

Uffdaphil
20 October 2014, 17:15
My primary is supposed to be my CZ 75 PCR compact 9mm with IWB kydex holster. I shoot well with it and it is less bulky than the Sig P229 it replaced. I say " supposed to be" because I find myself opting more often for the J frame 642 snubby OWB or in pocket with one speed strip. The CZ, while not terrible, is still too uncomfortable for me. If I were a LEO used to carrying a mid to large pistol all day, I would probably not have the problem. So the CZ is now primarily a HD bedside gun.

Given the distances of SD, I am comfortable with the J frame accuracy, but not the reload speed. Therefore I just got a Walther PPS single stack 9mm. Same SA/DA with decocker I am familiar with on the CZ but more comfortable to wear. The 7-8 round magazines and quicker reloading will hopefully put the .38 back in a secondary role. Need range time to confirm that I am accurate enough with it. My carry load is Fed HST 124 grn +P.

Surprisingly, a 5" 1911 carried OWB is more comfortable and less protruding than the 9mm compact. So with a jacket, after some range re-familiarity, I will sometimes opt for that with a spare mag in pocket.

I rotate a number of small knives more for utility than defense. Stash flashlights through the house and in vehicles, but don't typically carry one.

But situation dictates. If my sister calls at 2am crying that her car broke down in a bad part of town, I'm packing two and extra mags.

browcs
20 October 2014, 18:26
Nothing, I live in MD :(

That sucks...sorry to hear this. I wish the good people of MD rectify this by electing officials truly respectful of the people and Constitution.

browcs
20 October 2014, 18:33
That is a great article BTW! "and I explained to him that some of the top shooters I have had in class have looked, dressed, and acted like very fit homeless guys. They didn’t wear gloves, thigh holsters, or multicam. But, what they did do is have very clean gun handling, and they could hit whatever they wished upon demand."

It was a good article; that section of the article was well put.

JoshAston
20 October 2014, 18:57
That sucks...sorry to hear this. I wish the good people of MD rectify this by electing officials truly respectful of the people and Constitution.

I doubt they will, too many people on the govt dope here. I've got five years tops left here. Hopefully I get orders sooner, if not I'll be leaving Maryland in the rear view mirror the day I leave the military.

alamo5000
20 October 2014, 19:12
I carry as often as possible. My main go to rig is this...although I do have several other 'carry guns'...

I carry mainly a Sig 938 with a horsehide IWB holster. I use the extended mags.

On my weak side I have found a horizontal mag holster made of some sort of plastic kydex stuff.

I have found that 1. the pistol itself is very accurate given it's size. I have also found that it is very comfortable to carry, even with the spare mag. I am of the school that yes, you might have more firepower but it should also be comfortable so that carrying becomes a natural part of your day. Other than a solid pocket knife, cel phone, etc etc I don't carry much. I like my horizontal mag holder because it's very comfortable. It also offers a slight counter balance so my pants don't sag ever so slightly to the right.

I have a reliable gun, a full mag and a spare mag and it's light and easy to carry and it does not draw undue attention. At the end of the day wits under pressure in a stressful situation makes more difference than sheer firepower.

Another reason I like my sig 938 is because the draw is short. Longer barrels tend to need a different style of draw. Shorter barrels have physically less distance to cover from holster to hand. The horizontal mag also has a lot more fluid motion when in action too.

Dstrbdmedic167
20 October 2014, 19:14
I carry a Glock 42 now in the summer months( shorts and tshirts) and a Glock 26 in the winter months. I also carry a Glock 19 when hunting.

Yes I'm a Glock guy. I've had a several different carry and range guns but I've always shot a Glock the best. I love the grip of a M&P but I can't hit the broad side of a barn with them. I had a shield and loved it. Have thought hard about trying one again since they now offer a safety less model, but just haven't yet.

RomeoTango
20 October 2014, 20:09
I carry a glock 31. Really big hands so it's hard to manipulate the controls on smaller pistols. Going to get a baby glock this next year tho. Every now and then I'll wear my kimber ultra carry 2 cdp. When I dress nice or something. Lol

ArsonMachine
20 October 2014, 21:04
I carry an FNX because it fits my hand like a glove and I can shoot it well. I have it in 40 because I somehow ended up buying a crapton of 40s&w ammo when I had a G23, and didn't feel like selling the ammo after I sold the Glock so I bought another foady. I carry it IWB in a kydex/leather hybrid holster most all the time. Its a very much underrated gun and I am itching to try the FNS version. For ammo its Win Ranger 155gr JHP's. Like I said I got a ton of them so that's what we roll with. Would love to carry a 1911 but its just too big and heavy for CCW use IMO. Sometimes I carry the Kahr CM9, but that is like maybe 3-4 times a year. Its just a bit small for my liking and for my big hands. I can shoot it well, I just prefer to have more rounds and better gun-to-hand fit. I usually don't carry an EDC light as I just don't seem to have much desire to. But I do occasionally pack along a heavily modified Streamlight M3 that puts out 500-700 lumens. For the knife it's what ever I grab off my dresser in the morning. Usually some sort of Benchmade or Kershaw folder.

Txfilmmaker
20 October 2014, 21:54
I carry a S&W M&P Compact 9mm with an Apex Duty/Carry trigger. It breaks right at 5.5lbs. Love the break and it's not too light. 9mm is as good as any handgun round with modern ammo so follow up shots are faster and on target. This gun is small enough to conceal easily but big enough for my large hands. I use the large palm swell. It holds 12 rounds and it has an ambidextrous slide stop. I am a lefty and I found that I frequently cover the ejection port on non-ambi guns when trying to lock the slide.

Nickb
21 October 2014, 19:26
I carry a Ruger CMD, all day everyday. I've tried carrying other pistols but always come back to 1911s.
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t365/nicksb45/1911s/BA94FAB0-5E4D-401A-8E4F-B270B4DA3554_zps6nbk2ept.jpg
I carry a Spyderco "Military" or a Spyderco "Delica" folding knife.

Computalotapus
23 October 2014, 17:35
Glock 19 in one of my own Infinity Holster AIWB Targa Top Holster. For me I feel the G19 is a good compromise between a compact and full size pistol. Spare mag in my jacket pocket. DMO Knives Chub to do the heavy work carried horiztonally on the belt and a Kershaw Cryo 2 carried in the pocket. I plan on adding a light to this EDC setup looking at trying out the Klarus XT1C as a good pocket light.

http://www.infinityholsters.com/images/edc.jpg

Bowhunter80
23 October 2014, 17:48
I typically carry a full size m&p40. Even though I am not a big dude, I find that it conceals well. I recently lost 25lbs and now it's even easier to hide away. In warm weather, however, it's hard not to throw my LCP in my pocket and call it a day. Not the best caliber but better than nothing.

Recently picked up a sig tacops 1911 that I may carry from time to time once it has been vetted.

SGT.G
23 October 2014, 18:51
Currently edc a Springfield xd40sc. It fits my hand well, but still a bit thick. Conceals well. And pretty accurate. I'd rather carry my px4 or 1911 but they aren't practical for me. I also carry a sog trident, and mini mag. My surefire was stolen :(http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/23/1ca02dd7724ed0180765de18e0fba91a.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/23/809e93d6bf0e0bf434606346688fcd1d.jpg

Pyzik
23 October 2014, 19:30
M&P9 and/or M&P9c.
Wife has the Shild9.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/23/7b61e1acae356b21e367328d0f9d7052.jpg

Nathan_Mack
23 October 2014, 19:59
Right now (while it's still hot enough to break a sweat in a commercial freezer), I have been carrying an M&P Shield 9mm with the 8 round magazines (one in gun and one spare)...IWB.

My stabby cutty is a SOG auto knife and I keep a back up Buck folder in my back pocket, too.

As the heat begins to wane I will start carrying my full size M&P 9mm or my full size XD45 (yes, it's concealable) when jacket weather arrives.

I am going to end up getting a Glock 42 to wear on my ankle on days when jeans are worn as a backup to my CCW.

And most importantly, my cell phone with "911" as speed dial #1. If this isn't how your phone is set up...make it so. Easier to hold down one button for 2 seconds than try and type 3 numbers + send.

MonkeyBomb
23 October 2014, 20:41
I carry a Glock 27. Its also my BUG at work. With a plus one its like the darned thing was made for me. Plus mag compatibility with my G-22 for work. Lately I have been carrying a Benchmade Barrage as well. I bought one of the custom knife ones.

The knife changes depending on what I feel like grabbing or what I just bought. According to my wife I have a problem with buying guns and knives. I'm pretty happy about it I'm pretty sure she has the problem[crazy]

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa315/Stemshot/EDC_zps32e210ac.jpg

CarbonScoring
25 October 2014, 08:27
http://www.58525.com/i/misc/edc.jpg

I carry my Glock 19 Gen 3 with 10-8 Performance sights (fiber front), a Benchmade 710 (http://www.benchmade.com/products/710) and a Boker Ridgeback.

I carry the Glock because of it's reliability, capacity and size. I used to carry an H&K P30 or Sig P229, but I only carried them in OWB holsters. When I switched to AIWB, I originally tried the M&P Shield. Surprisingly, I found that the holsters I tried for it actually made it less comfortable than the 19 in the holster I use for it (unfortunately I can't remember who made that holster). I find the 19 to be more comfortable to wear and easier to shoot. It also points really well for me.

I started carrying the Benchmade about a year and a half ago. I was carrying an Emerson Commander, but I like the blade shape and D2 steel of the Benchmade better. I also prefer the Axis lock over frame locks.

The Boker Ridgeback is fairly new. I bought it more to try out carrying a fixed blade before I spent any serious money on one. So far it's been a pretty nice little knife. It needed some serious sharpening when I got it, but now it's not too bad.

akersc
2 November 2014, 06:14
I doubt they will, too many people on the govt dope here. I've got five years tops left here. Hopefully I get orders sooner, if not I'll be leaving Maryland in the rear view mirror the day I leave the military.

So you are active and still cannot carry in MD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoshAston
2 November 2014, 06:57
So you are active and still cannot carry in MD?

If you don't have connections, you can't carry here. As soon as the AF gets their LEOSA ID cards going, I'll be able to use that, until then, I'm out of luck.

akersc
2 November 2014, 07:00
If you don't have connections, you can't carry here. As soon as the AF gets their LEOSA ID cards going, I'll be able to use that, until then, I'm out of luck.

First off thank you for your service. And I'm sorry this country is broken, there she be no questions asked in any damn state for our Military to carry firearms. What we need are true leaders here and not just sheep.

CarbonScoring
2 November 2014, 07:21
Added this my EDC a couple days ago. I was looking for a fairly small, bright light that wouldn't break the bank. It also needed to have a lower power setting, but I wanted momentary on at full power first and foremost. I've had good luck with other Foursevens lights, so I thought I'd try this one.

Foursevens Quark Tactical QT2L-X - 390 lumens (780 for the first minute of battery life)

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3946/15057349723_10893983dd_b.jpg

GOST
2 November 2014, 10:20
I mostly carry a Kimber TLE II Pro cause I'm more proficient with it than my other handguns.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5551/14280483502_cd01b60229_c.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123747005@N02/14280483502/) Kimber (https://www.flickr.com/photos/123747005@N02/14280483502/) by gostsystems (https://www.flickr.com/people/123747005@N02/), on Flickr

Hmac
2 November 2014, 10:57
I don't carry often, but when I do, it's usually a Walther PPS OWB in a Speed Scabbard. Most comfortable option for me, especially sitting in the little sports car I drive most of the non-winter months. No extra mags, no flashlights, no IFAK, no tourniquet.. I do usually have an old Benchmade Mini-Reflex in my pocket.

http://ssequine.net/pps3s.jpg

Other option might be my old 642 Airweight. Fit's in a pocket well but I really hate shooting that little gun.

WHSmithIV
2 November 2014, 11:08
I carry my .45, my Leatherman and my Swiss Army knife. Why? Because they are tools. I don't carry my .45 because I am concerned about 2 legged idiots. I carry it because if a deer runs in front on my truck and I can't avoid hitting it I may have to put it down so it won't suffer. Last year I missed one by a mere 3 or 4 feet. I sure don't want to hit one, that causes damage to my vehicle. I carry my .45 because it's better to have a tool if you need it than to need it and not have it.

UWone77
2 November 2014, 15:18
First off thank you for your service. And I'm sorry this country is broken, there she be no questions asked in any damn state for our Military to carry firearms. What we need are true leaders here and not just sheep.

I know what you're getting at, but no questions asked for any profession or group of people is not something I'm personally on board with.

Computalotapus
2 November 2014, 16:11
I know what you're getting at, but no questions asked for any profession or group of people is not something I'm personally on board with.

She is meaning more along the lines of people that are mentally stable mind. I think if you served in the military in a career field that involved you carrying a weapon for majority of your military career and you are mentally stable you should be able to just fill out the paperwork for your CCW. I know she didn't mean just hand it to anyone that says they are prior military or leo.

GOST
2 November 2014, 16:32
The questions don't bother me. Being able to carry and own a firearm is our Constitutional right that can be forfeited. I also work at a government facility that does not allow firearms on the reservation. All of the folks who work there have had extensive background checks for their clearances, more extensive than I had when I enlisted. And even with this the last time I traveled I was on the no-fly list. I've never been arrested, been enlisted and have a re-investigation every 5 years for work; but still on the no-fly list.

Dstrbdmedic167
2 November 2014, 16:49
This is my EDC for today and most days. Only thing not pictured is my iPhone 6 taking the picture....

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/02/ab3da78ce721596c6156f5f97ff987a4.jpg

SpydrMan
4 November 2014, 16:24
I carry a Glock 26 most days, Glock 19 when clothing permits. I carry a Glock because they are reliable, lightweight, affordable, magazines are cheap and easily obtainable, parts are inexpensive and easily replaced, there is no external safety to get in the way, holster choices are plentiful, and I shoot them well. I carry 9mm because it's just as effective as 40 or 45, more rounds with less recoil is a good thing, it's cheaper, and most of the time it's easily obtainable.

KW900A
11 November 2014, 22:30
I'm honestly trying to figure out what I like to carry. I'm 5'9" with a 30" waist, I feel like everything sticks out in summer months, full frame and mid size pistols at least. I do keep a PX4 .40 close to me when I'm in my truck or any other vehicle. I carry it more often in winter months.

I've enjoyed reading what suits you all and why. Ill be sure to share when I find the magic one.