PDA

View Full Version : Build an AR on a TIGHT budget - $500

WHSmithIV
20 October 2014, 00:29
Can it still be done and build a quality AR? Yes it can. I finished mine last June after working on it for 1½ years. My total cost was $506.62 and that included mags and tools. You have to work at it to do so but you aren't working with spending money to do so if you have an internet connection to search for parts and good deals. It does also help if you can buy from Amazon or e-bay. I buy computer parts from e-bay all the time for customers so I do have a card I have linked through Paypal.

So, how do you build an AR on a $500 budget starting from zero?

I can help you do so for sure. Prices for some key components have even come down over the last year - Bolt Carrier Groups, Lower Parts Kits, lower and upper receivers and barrels. Hand guards and sights are now what drives a decent functional custom build cost up.

So, this is the Build it for $500 thread. Post your designs, parts lists and ask for help. We'll get it done. Not all of us can afford $400 just for a receiver set. But, over a few months we CAN build an excellent rifle for that $500.

Most folks here aren't on really tight budgets and trying to build a decent rifle. Folks like me are here though and I have done it over enough time. The most wonderful thing about the AR platform is that a great rifle CAN be built by just spending a little here and there. You don't have to lay out $500-600 all at once to get an AR if you build it yourself. I do have an excel spreadsheet for the rifle I built with every part possible needed listed and the parts I bought with their costs including shipping if there was any. I had to learn the hard way with the barrel I bought - nobody had told me one small bit of info that would have saved me a tiny bit of grief. After I did a wee bit of more work on the rifle it was fine though.

So, if you want to build for yourself a rifle with a $500 budget over some time, let me know. I'll help. I did it once for myself, I can help someone do it for themselves too.

As an incentive for you new builders, the first person that builds a complete rifle from this thread within the $500 budget I will send a brand new 30 round P-mag to still in it's package to. I still have a couple of those I never got a chance to open before I had to sell the rifle I built to pay our electricity bill.

To start you off on your build, here are some base costs you can get parts for
Lower and upper receiver $100 (not crap polymer)
Barrel $100
Lower parts kit $45

You CAN do these without shipping costs too.

Basics, decent sights are where difficulties start to come in. They can be found for $80 though. I lucked out and got my A.R.M.S sights for $40 from a classified add.

So, the first one who does it in the $500 budget gets a free new in the package P-mag. That means you don't need to include a mag in the budget.

I know how much I struggled to do it and I started just when that Newtown massacre happened and our stupid govt. went on the rampage trying to ban AR's. Parts couldn't be found anywhere. Still, I managed though. I took a big hit on my lower receiver and LPK at $165. That was offset though by a police officer friend and of mine in NYC sending me a spare blem upper receiver he had paid $40 for as a gift.

So, yes, you can build a decent AR for $500

Do it and you get a free new in the package P-mag from me to go with it. [:)]

Gaspipeshooter
20 October 2014, 04:27
Man, that sucks that you had to do sell you rifle to pay the electric bill!!! At least you you have a nice new upper from the giveaway to start you next build with...

Kopis
20 October 2014, 08:49
Brownells email today......... stupid cheap prices

bushmaster lower for $50, DPMS LPK for $50....

Brownells - Promotions & Discounts
Home
New Products
Hot Sellers
Learn
Sale & Clearance
Back In Black Rifle Event
Brownells 30-Rd Gray AR-15/M16
Magazine with CS Spring, 10-Pak Bushmaster AR-15 Stripped
Lower Receiver
Brownells 30-Rd Gray AR-15/M16 Magazine with CS Spring, 10-Pak
Bushmaster AR-15 Stripped Lower Receiver
Save Over $35
Only $49.99!
Bushmaster AR15 Bolt
Carrier Group Complete Brownells 10.5" 300 Blackout Med
Pistol Gas Barrel
Bushmaster AR15 Bolt Carrier Group Complete
Brownells 10.5" 300 Blackout Med Pistol Gas Barrel
Save $50
Save $25
Bushmaster AR-15/M16
V-Match Upper Receiver Daniel Defense 16" Lightweight
Carbine 5.56 Barrel, 1-7 Twist
Bushmaster AR-15/M16 V-Match Upper Receiver
Daniel Defense 16" Lightweight Carbine 5.56 Barrel, 1-7 Twist
Save $35
$199.99
Colt H2 Heavy
Buffer Assembly Brownells AR-15/M16
Critical Tools Kit
Colt H2 Heavy Buffer Assembly
Brownells AR-15/M16 Critical Tools Kit
On Sale $29.99
$109.99
DPMS AR-15 Complete
Receiver Parts Kit Geissele AR-15/M16/AR-Style
.154" SSA Trigger
DPMS AR-15 Complete Receiver Parts Kit
Geissele AR-15/M16/AR-Style .154" SSA Trigger
Just $49.99!
$210.00
Black Rifle Basics AR-15 STripped Lower $49.99
Like Us On Facebook Watch Us On YouTube Follow Us On Twitter Shop Our Digital Catalog Follow Us On Pinterest
Update Email Preferences | Unsubscribe from future mailings | Help Center
Was this email forwarded to you? Subscribe Here
Brownells, Inc. | 200 South Front Street, Montezuma, IA 50171 | 1-800-741-0015
© Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy | By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use.

WHSmithIV
20 October 2014, 09:09
I'm not surprised with that sales list. Companies ramped up production due to the demand from the scare to try to meet the demand. The scare ended but it takes time for a company to reduce production back to where demand goes down to normal or less and they end up with a lot of overstock. It's better to move it out at close to cost so as not to lose money from it.

WHSmithIV
20 October 2014, 09:11
Man, that sucks that you had to do sell you rifle to pay the electric bill!!! At least you you have a nice new upper from the giveaway to start you next build with...

Yes, it did suck but what had to be done had to be done........ nothing to do about it now.

Thompson
20 October 2014, 10:09
Sorry to hear about what happened to your build.

And [wow] that's a wicked sweet deal on the Bushmaster upper & lower Brownell's got going on right now.

Also wanted to throw in: to those that can't get the Bushmaster sale going on right now, Anderson is a decent company (from what I've gathered) and make uppers and lowers for a good price. Typically you can find a stripped lower receiver for around $60 (sometimes I see my local shop sell them for $50). Actually if you go to their website today - you can find both the lower and upper on sale.

By the way - sometimes you can find parts even cheaper if they are the blemish or "blem" models. Basically this just means that a part has some sort of machining mark on it; in other words it's purely a cosmetic issue, but still should be 100% functional. A lot of the times, you can't even find the blemish - even if you look super duper hard.

KevinBLC
20 October 2014, 10:19
If the budget is so tight, why even go with a parts gun? How are you going to be able to feed it?

I think we all saved for stuff we couldn't initially afford as I see we all have lots of hobbies. I think I woulda saved a bit longer and bought a $800 Colt.

WHSmithIV
20 October 2014, 10:30
Sorry to hear about what happened to your build.

And [wow] that's a wicked sweet deal on the Bushmaster upper & lower Brownell's got going on right now.

Also wanted to throw in: to those that can't get the Bushmaster sale going on right now, Anderson is a decent company (from what I've gathered) and make uppers and lowers for a good price. Typically you can find a stripped lower receiver for around $60 (sometimes I see my local shop sell them for $50). Actually if you go to their website today - you can find both the lower and upper on sale.

By the way - sometimes you can find parts even cheaper if they are the blemish or "blem" models. Basically this just means that a part has some sort of machining mark on it; in other words it's purely a cosmetic issue, but still should be 100% functional. A lot of the times, you can't even find the blemish - even if you look super duper hard.

Anderson's also runs sales with free shipping on any order. I bought the barrel for the rifle I had to sell from them with a 10% discount plus free shipping when they had their Fathers Day sale. The barrel cost just under $100 and I got the 1:8 twist I wanted. I am building a new gun with one of their stripped lower receivers I bought back at the same time. At 57.50 shipped and transferred it was a good deal. Looks like I'll be able to build my 7.62x39 pistol for a grand total of $490 since I won the upper receiver from Sticks giveaway plus some good guys have sent me some free parts they had lying around. I don't have the total worked out yet because I have to inventory the springs that just arrived today and see what I still need to put the lower together.

My offer stands for the first person who's trying to complete one on a tight budget who does so for $500 or less - I'll supply the brand new P-mag for it [:)] It's a way I can give back something for the kindness given to me.

Ride4frnt
20 October 2014, 10:52
Anderson uppers and lowers on sale at AIMsurplus for 40 each plus shipping and transfer

UWone77
20 October 2014, 10:58
One thing to consider for others when trying to build something as cheap as possible (something I am not a fan of)

Not everyone is going to have the tools, vises, punches, ect to properly install all of the parts. There's another potential $200 down the budget.

harm
20 October 2014, 11:34
I built an AR during the panick for $750could have gotten it for $620 w different sights. Its doable.

Aragorn
20 October 2014, 11:35
I'd beware or Anderson. I saw and handled one of their lowers last week and I left feeling like I needed to wash my hands. The finish was blotchy, and the pin holes looked oversized. The deburring appeared poorly done by hand and the pin holes looked like they attempted to counter sink them, but missed and went way off center. The threading for the receiver extention had chunks of finish missing and the threads did not appear smooth.

Would not buy.

MoxyDave
20 October 2014, 12:22
Keep an eye out for $50 PSA blem lowers. They have several sales a year and their "blems" are as good as any lower I've owned.

XACT_ABORT
20 October 2014, 12:41
On the blem theme, seems like I have seen Aero Precision do sales in the past, like 20% off your order.. Forged receiver sets at or around 100 bucks for both. As I recall.

Edit** For blem components that is.

Kopis
20 October 2014, 12:41
One thing to consider for others when trying to build something as cheap as possible (something I am not a fan of)

Not everyone is going to have the tools, vises, punches, ect to properly install all of the parts. There's another potential $200 down the budget.

If you buy the upper complete, there isnt really any special tools needed for the lower is there? I just wrapped tape on a pair of pliers to push in pins and used a drill bit for the detents. It's pretty easy honestly. You can buy tools to make it easier though....

camomike
20 October 2014, 17:11
Ready for this?
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/18213/s/ati-ar15-bcg-8620-cl-carrier-c158-bolt/
BCG$69.99
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/1131/
LPK &stock kit $79.99
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/17498/
16" Dissy upper $224.99

Bundled and shipped $374.97

http://www.amazon.com/Magpul-MBUS-Rear-Sight-Black/dp/B004RR0N8Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413850072&sr=8-2&keywords=magpul+buis
MUGPUL BUS $42.07 shipped

https://www.primaryarms.com/Radical_Firearms_AR15_Charging_Handle_p/rfcharge.htm
CH $13.99
https://www.primaryarms.com/Aero_Precision_Stripped_AR_15_Lower_Receiver_For_p/ap501112.htm?CartID=2
AP lower $58.00
$81.99 Bundled and shipped

+42.07
=$499.03

But as UW stated, you get what you pay for.

Side note, opted for a better sight then to grab a mag with this one. Saw a BUIS for $13.19(shipped) which would have left me around $29.85 for mags.

WHSmithIV
21 October 2014, 01:14
Definitely some good deals. Comes in at under 500 and some could even probably be saved using a blem lower receiver. Sure, it's not a $1000 rifle, but it is a good and functional rifle. Not everyone can afford a high priced, high end AR, but they CAN afford a decent AR that's reliable and functional.

UWone77
21 October 2014, 06:33
If you buy the upper complete, there isnt really any special tools needed for the lower is there? I just wrapped tape on a pair of pliers to push in pins and used a drill bit for the detents. It's pretty easy honestly. You can buy tools to make it easier though....

Using pliers is not the correct way to install roll pins. I would not advocate new builders to installing them that way.

The way the OP described the parts, it appears in this case a complete upper was not going to be purchased.

camomike
21 October 2014, 09:06
Using pliers is not the correct way to install roll pins. I would not advocate new builders to installing them that way.

The way the OP described the parts, it appears in this case a complete upper was not going to be purchased.

Thought the same. But when you start adding up the tool cost, it blows the budget out of the water. Vise, soft jaws for the vise, upper vise block, Armorer's wrench, torque bar, punch kit, rubber mallet, taper pin bit and jig... easily the cost of an assembled upper in tools alone. Not to metion can be dangerous if not assembled to spec. Makes a hell of a lot more sense to purchase a preassembled upper.

The lower is the easy part. That can be done with a carriage bolt, hammer, book, screw driver and 3 dollar castle nut wrench.

Computalotapus
21 October 2014, 09:29
You don't have to have the best tools on the market and if you plan on building more than 2 AR's I recommend getting the basic tools

Clamp On Table Vise (http://www.amazon.com/Pony-13025-3-Inch-Light-Clamp/dp/B00004S9KO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1412621050&sr=8-3&keywords=clamp+on+vise) $18.95
Gunsmithing Hammer with 4 Tips (http://www.amazon.com/Gunsmithing-Hammer-with-4-Tips/dp/B0061G57T6/ref=pd_sbs_sg_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=17JG7NMBSTVCW9DS43YW) $12.99
Tapco Intrafuse AR Armorer's Tool (http://www.amazon.com/Tapco-Intrafuse-AR-Armorers-Tool/dp/B006PTMYHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412622941&sr=8-1&keywords=tapco+armorers+tool) $32.20
Gunsmithing Armorer Steel Roll Pin Starter Pin Punch Kit (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008L0N6KW/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_QC3kub0TD5RF4) $19.95
TEKTON 6739 Pin Punch Set (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NPPBN8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_pH3kub0V30ZFD) $11.61
NO-M.A.R Pin Upper and Lower Receiver Vice Block Combo (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FUSLI4E/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_VO3kub05GKK3W) $23.69

You will need a torque wrench and I just borrow one from a coworker when I need it. If you buy one look at spending $50+ at the minimum.

Now I do not claim these are the best tools for the job but they are the basic tools for the job and should get you through plenty of builds if you take care of them and use them correctly. Basically $120 + some shipping on certain items all through amazon.

JoshAston
21 October 2014, 09:58
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/parts-kits/ar-15-basic-rifle-build-kit-sku080001140-71355-150395.aspx

If code GS7 is still active that gets you a build kit at under $350, add in a $50 lower and you're under $400, assuming you have the necessary tools.

WHSmithIV
21 October 2014, 11:14
I actually used an electronics Molex pin punch I have to drive in some of my roll pins. The sleeve fit perfectly on the pin and allowed me to tap the pins in most of the way without marring the receivers.

Then I used vice grips with taped jaws and minimal adjusted pressure as a press to press them in the last little tiny bit. I just re-adjusted the pressure after each tiny pressing. I don't have a mounted bench vice but the autobody shop in town who's computers I take care of does and they were happy to let me use theirs when I installed the barrel and flash hider. I got a dab of bearing grease from them too to put a light coating on the barrel extension as an anti sieze compound. I could have used a torque wrench from them, but it simply wasn't needed. Hand tightened the barrel nut and it was almost lined up for the gas tube, simply went to the next hole. It was very obvious that the previous would have not been tight enough and the one after I probably couldn't tighten to any way. Therefore the one I tightened to had to be the right one. Granted, with a different type of barrel nut you might want a torque wrench. I do have lower and upper vice blocks - they came in the $50 classified ad deal that I got with my hand guard and gas block as did the 2 castle nut wrenches. The armorers wrench I bought.

(I do have a bench vice, it's just not mounted anywhere since I haven't yet finished building the garage....)

If an upper can be bought at a great price, I'd say go for it. I wanted a quad rail free float handguard on that rifle though and needed to keep any purchase down to around $100 at any given time.

It's not rocket science and there's all sorts of instructions out there.

But, if someone build themselves a $500 rifle even if they get a complete upper, that's OK. I'll send them the P-mag.

UWone77
21 October 2014, 11:51
Keep an eye out for $50 PSA blem lowers. They have several sales a year and their "blems" are as good as any lower I've owned.

You know Dave, while we're on the topic of $50 lowers. I need another lower like another hole in the head. I think if you have the funds I could think of worse ways than to have a couple of blem PSA lowers tucked back in the safe.

With that being said, I found a Chainsaw Gen 2 Noveske lower yesterday and it followed me home unfortunately. $150.... not bad though considering!

WHSmithIV
21 October 2014, 12:12
You know Dave, while we're on the topic of $50 lowers. I need another lower like another hole in the head. I think if you have the funds I could think of worse ways than to have a couple of blem PSA lowers tucked back in the safe.

With that being said, I found a Chainsaw Gen 2 Noveske lower yesterday and it followed me home unfortunately. $150.... not bad though considering!

I'll keep an eye out on PSA for when they have their blem lowers on sale. I'm sure I'll eventually need another anyway. Hopefully one of their sales will coincide with when I have an extra $50..

mustangfreek
21 October 2014, 12:39
I'll keep an eye out on PSA for when they have their blem lowers on sale. I'm sure I'll eventually need another anyway. Hopefully one of their sales will coincide with when I have an extra $50..

Black friday, im betting they will have 40-50 dollar lowers again..

WHSmithIV
21 October 2014, 13:41
I just created an account in PSA and signed up for their newsletter so I should get a notification when they have sales (I hope).

Ride4frnt
21 October 2014, 14:25
I just created an account in PSA and signed up for their newsletter so I should get a notification when they have sales (I hope).

Look on their site daily. They always have awesome sales.

Kopis
21 October 2014, 14:50

Ive done four that way now... Im sure there is a fancy tool but it works perfectly and doesnt damage the lower at all. I watched a few vids on youtube before the first one and read some tips. It's pretty easy. What is your reason for not recommending doing it this way ?

those PSA deals are amazing!

UWone77
21 October 2014, 15:01
Ive done four that way now... Im sure there is a fancy tool but it works perfectly and doesnt damage the lower at all. I watched a few vids on youtube before the first one and read some tips. It's pretty easy. What is your reason for not recommending doing it this way ?

those PSA deals are amazing!

One slip of the pliers and enjoy the idiot mark. Yeah, people use tape, but I've seen many layers of tape gouged through. Another issue is pliers sometime damage the roll pins before they get inserted. People use vice grips and pliers all the time, but the bottom line it's a gamble using them. At some point they will slip. A hammer, punch, and roll pin starters are not "fancy" tools, but the correct tools.

I think you just illustrated why I use the correct tools vs pliers for me. They work perfectly, and doesn't damage my lower.

camomike
21 October 2014, 16:36
There is also angular momentum. It's not a straight push using a pliers to bite it down. I've seen a roll pin bend in half using the plier method. He had to use a vise grip to pull it back out. Major eye soar to the finish. It also wowed the hole in the softer aluminum.

Gaspipeshooter
22 October 2014, 05:40
I've always been the type of guy to spend the money on the BEST tool for the job. I can't even imagine trying to build quality ARs without the tools I've accumulated over the years. If you are just going to build one and done, and looking to do it as cheaply as possible, then Yankee ingenuity might be the way to get by. I just knew from the get go I wasn't only going to build one rifle, so I made the investment. Recently I bought a receiver set from a well known, considered higher quality manufacturer frequently mentioned on this forum. The price for an assembled upper was about the same as buying a stripped upper and the parts to do it myself. I figured I'd save myself the little time and effort it would have taken me to install the forward assist and dust cover assembly, and I ordered the assembled upper receiver. The upper had finish damage that was touched up around the roll pin hole for the forward assist. I couldn't believe they sent it to me that way, but maybe they figured I wouldn't notice it. I'll never make that mistake again...

Computalotapus
22 October 2014, 06:11
I've always been the type of guy to spend the money on the BEST tool for the job. I can't even imagine trying to build quality ARs without the tools I've accumulated over the years. If you are just going to build one and done, and looking to do it as cheaply as possible, then Yankee ingenuity might be the way to get by. I just knew from the get go I wasn't only going to build one rifle, so I made the investment. Recently I bought a receiver set from a well known, considered higher quality manufacturer frequently mentioned on this forum. The price for an assembled upper was about the same as buying a stripped upper and the parts to do it myself. I figured I'd save myself the little time and effort it would have taken me to install the forward assist and dust cover assembly, and I ordered the assembled upper receiver. The upper had finish damage that was touched up around the roll pin hole for the forward assist. I couldn't believe they sent it to me that way, but maybe they figured I wouldn't notice it. I'll never make that mistake again...

You mean they sent you a upper with character? I think I am done paying for high end receivers, don't get me wrong I love the NTD set I have but I know from now on I am just going to have it cerakoted to the color/s I want. I picked up the tools I posted earlier and so far they have worked on the last 2 builds. I have 2 maybe 3 builds left to go and I trust they will get me through those builds. You don't need the best brand tools you just need the right tools for the job. Now I got to invest in tools to work on my pistols now ( sight pushers ).

Kopis
22 October 2014, 06:29
I dont see how you guys are making mistakes like that. I adjusted the neck of the pliers to where they pull evenly instead of angular as you mentioned, used several layers of tape and just went slow on it. Common sense guys.

Sure, it is nice to have a specific tool for the job and makes it slightly easier but if a guy only plans on building one lower, it's really not a big deal to do it that way, especially with all the access we have to see how others have done it via DIY guides and youtube videos. I mean, there's one lousy roll pin that you need be careful when you do it. The trigger guard one is easy.

roygpa
22 October 2014, 06:53
I grew up with with access to a hammer, a screw driver and and an old grinder that was ready to disintegrate at any time. Dad had me paint all of them with Rustoleum Rust Proof Red paint, to stop the rusting. If those tools couldn't do the job, I was out of luck.
Now that I am grown, I might not buy the best available but do try to have the proper tool for the job. I do find myself at times looking for the hammer and screwdriver though. :)

shimsham
22 October 2014, 06:57
I'm right in middle as far as Kopis' approach is concerned. I've pieced together 3 rifles with the help of a bench vise, receiver block, Brownells front sight block, spanner wrench, an armorer's wrench, vise grips, slip-joint pliers, electrical tape, a 1lb brass hammer, and some punches. I've been lucky enough to be able to borrow some tools as far as installing barrel extensions onto barrels and then torquing them into upper receivers appropriately. Headspace gauges I have access to via a loaner system as well. Short of all that, unless you're assembling some sort of semi-custom to higher-end components that require specialty fasteners or other hardware, I feel that most folks who aren't out there to crank out more than one or two builds over a timespan will be able to piece together a budget-conscious platform with some basic tools.
I'm new to this forum, been lurking for a little bit. Seems like this thread is the appropriate area for me to pitch my first contributions to the community.
I figure I'll dedicate the SPR concept/deer rifle I'm building for my gal to this thread. Keep y'all posted!

WHSmithIV
22 October 2014, 09:47
Welcome shimsham. Get that rifle built for your gal!

We all do things a bit differently and we do what we do based on what we can afford. I'm the good ole yankee ingenuity type of guy. I'll find a way to get something done with what I have available. I'll do it and I'll get it done right. That is how you build a quality $500 rifle with very limited available money. Sure, I would love to have a good complete machine shop - I'm trying to finish building my garage and I've been working on it for 2 years now. The side walls are half built. The frame and the roof is done. Life get's a bit complicated for what we would like to have versus what we have versus what we can afford to have.

In 10 more years when my retirement kicks in I'll pretty much be able to have what I want. That's 10 years away though. So, for another decade I just have to struggle onwards. I'll build my guns any way I can do so because you can never have too many guns. It's all good and well to buy a gun all ready to go, but, when we make one, we know it intimately. Postcards is my wife's hobby. I like guns more than postcards though. My first AR cost $506.62 build from a stripped lower receiver. I had it for 2½ months after 1½ years of building it and saving for every single part. Then I had to sell it along with my saddle rifle because we were so broke. I didn't lose any money when I sold the two rifles nor did I make a profit. What I lost was a tiny piece of my soul. So, I'm building another one to get that back.

WHSmithIV
22 October 2014, 09:52
I grew up with with access to a hammer, a screw driver and and an old grinder that was ready to disintegrate at any time. Dad had me paint all of them with Rustoleum Rust Proof Red paint, to stop the rusting. If those tools couldn't do the job, I was out of luck.
Now that I am grown, I might not buy the best available but do try to have the proper tool for the job. I do find myself at times looking for the hammer and screwdriver though. :)

I'm always looking for some tool or other that I have. The only ones I ALWAYS know where they are are my Swiss Army Knife and my Leatherman - and my guns. That's because one is kept in my pocket and the other on my belt and I ALWAYS know where my guns are :o .

Kopis
22 October 2014, 11:13
I'm right in middle as far as Kopis' approach is concerned. I've pieced together 3 rifles with the help of a bench vise, receiver block, Brownells front sight block, spanner wrench, an armorer's wrench, vise grips, slip-joint pliers, electrical tape, a 1lb brass hammer, and some punches. I've been lucky enough to be able to borrow some tools as far as installing barrel extensions onto barrels and then torquing them into upper receivers appropriately. Headspace gauges I have access to via a loaner system as well. Short of all that, unless you're assembling some sort of semi-custom to higher-end components that require specialty fasteners or other hardware, I feel that most folks who aren't out there to crank out more than one or two builds over a timespan will be able to piece together a budget-conscious platform with some basic tools.
I'm new to this forum, been lurking for a little bit. Seems like this thread is the appropriate area for me to pitch my first contributions to the community.
I figure I'll dedicate the SPR concept/deer rifle I'm building for my gal to this thread. Keep y'all posted!

yeah, i havent built an upper. I know there is a few "must have" tools for those. Ive always bought them complete except my RRA 18" upper which i ditched that ungodly heavy bull barrel for a WOA SS barrel with linear comp. I just had my local gun shop do it for $20. I guess if i planned to build a lot of ARs or was going to be working on them regularly, i probably would. I almost got the detent pin tools but Ive gotten pretty good at just doing it with smooth end of a drill bit.

i just want people to realize if they do a little research first, watch a few vids and be careful, there is no reason why they cant do it that way. Having the tools is nice though.

UWone77
22 October 2014, 11:19
i just want people to realize if they do a little research first, watch a few vids and be careful, there is no reason why they cant do it that way. Having the tools is nice though.

Again, there is a right way and a wrong way. Please stop advocating the wrong way to install roll pins.

Armorer classes vs YouTube Videos. You decide.

Stickman
22 October 2014, 11:39
Having gone to numerous armorers classes, don't use pliers, vice grips, or anything like that. You may be careful, mechanically inclined, but not everyone is. Giving new builders wrong information is not the best course of action.

Also Youtube and Google to me is not "research"

Your mileage may vary. Good luck, and use lots of tape.

Gaspipeshooter
22 October 2014, 11:56
Having gone to numerous armorers classes, don't use pliers, vice grips, or anything like that. You may be careful, mechanically inclined, but not everyone is. Giving new builders wrong information is not the best course of action.

Also Youtube and Google to me is not "research"

Your mileage may vary. Good luck, and use lots of tape.

Well put!!!

shimsham
22 October 2014, 13:02
Agreed on using the right tools and correctly applied techniques with said tools to get the job done whenever possible. I'm one of those fellas that has the mechanical senses and understanding to get things done in the field and in a limited workbench environment. One day when I'm less financially constrained, I'll have my proper workshop. Till then, I'm stuck making do with what I have along with what some of my friends may have. That being said, I'm all for education. It'd be nice to receive formal gunsmithing instruction in the future.
Thanks for the welcome WHSmith.

RobSWVA
22 November 2014, 10:12
I recently picked my receivers up from Black Forge for 60 a piece. They were blems but I use that term lightly, as it took a keen eye to find any possible blemishes on the lower and still havent figured out tthe blems on the upper. So for almost perfect and under 120 for the set I was more than pleased.

In regards to the tools discussion, I guess I got lucky. Won a 4th place spot in Gunstruction's last build contest and part of the prize pack was a pin punch set and a reaction rod for assembling the upper. Just need to figure out a lower block and brass hammer and im pretty much covered. Oh and the handguard came with the wrench for the barrel nut too, and Will is chipping over a castle nut wrench I believe (thanks Will!)

Lol, must have had work on the brain, said spanner nut instead of castle nut. Fixed [BD]

JHoward
22 November 2014, 23:53
I got a used complete upper and stripped New Frontier lower for $80 locally.

Used a MAS Defense 10.5" .223 WYLDE 1:8 non CL barrel for $130 shipped iirc, and got a PSA bcg and charging handle for $115. I traded the charging handle to a friend for a BCM CH.
I then got a STAG lpk locally for $65 otd, had a friend that worked for New Frontier who got me a tapco end plate, buffer, spring, castle nut, and tube, all for $20.

Found the delta ring assembly for free (pay shipping) on another AR site.
I was asking a friend about assembling the upper and he said he had just traded out his quad rail gas block and tube for a low profile one, and he had a flash hider and peel washer laying around, so I got that for $15 and we assembled it all. It was a pistol, so no butt stock. I spent around $400 and had a Strikefire laying around already. The thing shot like a breeze and was a great little rifle for what it was.

Didn't get many pictures of it before I traded it to my stupid brother-in-law who plays too much COD.
Here it is when I got done with it.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/22/1fff2dd4194b9cdcbc4bf614ed4df79a.jpg

Here it is after my BIL gayed it up with camo and a 10 cent optic.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/22/246f7a679aeed82b2b3d7f8ae6385b9f.jpg