PDA

View Full Version : M1 Carbine

Thompson
21 October 2014, 12:34
To all those WWII buffs out there:

Just caught wind of this article: http://www.guns.com/2014/10/21/mks-supply-brings-back-the-inland-m1-carbine/

Looks like there's another company that's going to produce replica M1 Carbines. I'm not sure who all else does, but I do know that Auto Ordnance makes replicas too. However the difference I found, was that MKS is going to make them as historically as accurate as possible - Auto Ordance, from what I found, I just a replica - and subsequently a little cheaper than MKS's version.

Looks like this is as close to the paratrooper model as I can get.

ddearmon2010
21 October 2014, 13:29
I'm curious as to the new Sig Saucer version of the AR is going to perform

gatordev
21 October 2014, 14:30
If you want as close to a paratrooper model as you can get, I'd just start saving pennies and get a real C&R one. I know they've gone up in price over the last year or two, but still, it's a piece of history. Generally speaking, you can get an AR anytime (barring the random panic), but the Carbines are getting more expensive as time goes by and there's still plenty of real ones out there for a market value price.

I'd love to get a second "real" M1c for collectability, but for now, I'll have to live with the one I have, and I'm very glad I grabbed it to have a little piece of history.

WHSmithIV
21 October 2014, 15:11
I hate threads about the M1. Why? Because I want one so bad it hurts and it's going to be a looooong time before I can ever get one. I'd really like to get one from the CMP.

Thompson
21 October 2014, 17:50
I'd really like to get one from the CMP.
Doubt they'll ever get any more. You can thank our good buddy Obumer for banning all future imports of lend-lease WWII firearms since apparently they will end up on the streets in things such as gang violence .............. [crazy] [wstupid] [noob]

If you want as close to a paratrooper model as you can get, I'd just start saving pennies and get a real C&R one. I know they've gone up in price over the last year or two, but still, it's a piece of history. Generally speaking, you can get an AR anytime (barring the random panic), but the Carbines are getting more expensive as time goes by and there's still plenty of real ones out there for a market value price.
gatordev - do you know how much a paratrooper model costs? I know they're super rare (although not sure if they're as rare as Magpul lowers aka unicorns). You also bring up a great point about buying now rather than later.

Unfortunately for me though, I'm going to have to pick up an AR-15 before I make any other firearms purchase. Going into the Army - so will need marksmanship training (especially since I want to get into the Army Marksmanship Unit).

But yeah - I basically told myself that I'd pick up a Jack Carbine - then work on historical military firearms. If there's one firearm that I could absolutely want (... well besides an M1A1 Thompson), it'd be an SA M1 Garand.

Computalotapus
21 October 2014, 18:19
Doubt they'll ever get any more. You can thank our good buddy Obumer for banning all future imports of lend-lease WWII firearms since apparently they will end up on the streets in things such as gang violence .............. [crazy] [wstupid] [noob]

gatordev - do you know how much a paratrooper model costs? I know they're super rare (although not sure if they're as rare as Magpul lowers aka unicorns). You also bring up a great point about buying now rather than later.

Unfortunately for me though, I'm going to have to pick up an AR-15 before I make any other firearms purchase. Going into the Army - so will need marksmanship training (especially since I want to get into the Army Marksmanship Unit).

But yeah - I basically told myself that I'd pick up a Jack Carbine - then work on historical military firearms. If there's one firearm that I could absolutely want (... well besides an M1A1 Thompson), it'd be an SA M1 Garand.

I have a SA M1 Garand....some of the small parts are actually stamped Singer Sewing Company. Hopefully that rifle will never leave my family.

WHSmithIV
21 October 2014, 18:21
CMP does still have them, I get their newsletter. It does take time to get one from them though ... and of course plus the cost.

Thompson
21 October 2014, 19:54
CMP does still have them, I get their newsletter. It does take time to get one from them though ... and of course plus the cost.
Oh wow - didn't know this. According to their website, they said that M1 carbines are only available via the auction page - so I assumed they they didn't have them anymore. Is it the electronic newsletter that you get?

I have a SA M1 Garand....
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/55519602.jpg

RaceBannon42
22 October 2014, 08:19
My father had a Carbine and a Garand. I got the Garand, my brother got the Carbine. I'd like to get a carbine for myself sometime.

Thompson
22 October 2014, 10:24
My father had a Carbine and a Garand. I got the Garand, my brother got the Carbine. I'd like to get a carbine for myself sometime.
Wow - that's pretty nice. At least you still have a Carbine within the family. Curious - mind sharing which manufacturer's M1 you have?

gatordev
22 October 2014, 13:13

They don't have M1 Carbines, but still have the M1. I haven't checked in a while, but I'm not sure if they even still have the odd M1 Carbine up on their auction.

So bear with me here for a minute... If you want the AR, then by all means. They're fairly inexpensive to buy, and fairly inexpensive to feed. You can also get decent accuracy from a factory gun and even from factory bulk ammo. But the actual marksmanship part is universal, and whether the rifle is a Garand, a Carbine, or a sexy AR, the fundamentals still apply to all of them.

Now, will the AR have better accuracy? Probably. It may also allow you to see error in technique easier. I can think of lots of reasons why the AR is a great platform to learn on. Heck, get a M&P 15/22 and learn to shoot iron sights on that. But I wouldn't discount other rifles just because it's not the Army currently issues/qualifies on. That said, I'm glad I learned shooting a rifle on an AR and not a Garand. Those things are lots of fun...until after about the second or third clip. At least for me.

browcs
22 October 2014, 16:11
I hate threads about the M1. Why? Because I want one so bad it hurts and it's going to be a looooong time before I can ever get one. I'd really like to get one from the CMP.

Yup.

RaceBannon42
22 October 2014, 16:21
Wow - that's pretty nice. At least you still have a Carbine within the family. Curious - mind sharing which manufacturer's M1 you have?
Sure, it's a Springfield Armory.

Thompson
22 October 2014, 20:33
So bear with me here for a minute... If you want the AR, then by all means. They're fairly inexpensive to buy, and fairly inexpensive to feed. You can also get decent accuracy from a factory gun and even from factory bulk ammo. But the actual marksmanship part is universal, and whether the rifle is a Garand, a Carbine, or a sexy AR, the fundamentals still apply to all of them.

Now, will the AR have better accuracy? Probably. It may also allow you to see error in technique easier. I can think of lots of reasons why the AR is a great platform to learn on. Heck, get a M&P 15/22 and learn to shoot iron sights on that. But I wouldn't discount other rifles just because it's not the Army currently issues/qualifies on. That said, I'm glad I learned shooting a rifle on an AR and not a Garand. Those things are lots of fun...until after about the second or third clip. At least for me.
I completely understand where you are coming from. But for me personally, I'd prefer to have my first gun to be an AR (been drooling over the Jack Carbine for a long time now haha); that plus transitioning from an AR to an M-4 wont be so difficult. But honestly - the bigger reason is what you mentioned - cost of ammo. Haven't had a look at 30-06 ammo in a while and (after a quick search) wow - I'd be paying at least twice the amount for 30-06 Wolf ammo (not sure how good Wolf's 30-06 ammo is); with AE/Federal around $1.00/round.

That and, for me at least, the M1 for me would be more of a range gun ... don't think I'd want to use that for self/home defense/SHTF scenarios (not sure if I'd really want to trust my life to 8 rounds when I could have 30 if that makes sense).

Ya'll are lucky that you got SA M1's - I hope I get one from SA when I get one from the CMP.

gatordev
23 October 2014, 05:17
Well, that's probably the most important point...an AR is what you want!

FYI, Privi has Garand 30-06 for around $.80-ish/round. Not as good as good a price as CMP, but it's also specifically made for Garands, which can't shoot regular production 30-06 without a gas plug swap. Also, 30 Carbine is around $.50/round (last time I looked...I have a bunch stored away, so it's been a while). So yeah, 5.56 is definitely the cheaper way to go for plinking.

Computalotapus
23 October 2014, 05:26
That said, I'm glad I learned shooting a rifle on an AR and not a Garand. Those things are lots of fun...until after about the second or third clip. At least for me.

The Garand does have a little bite on it. But man the ringing of the clip after the last round is fired always brings a smile to my face. My grandfather gave me this rifle to use for deer hunting and that is exactly what I use it for. It was my great grandfather's rifle to begin with.

RaceBannon42
23 October 2014, 13:55
The Garand does have a little bite on it. But man the ringing of the clip after the last round is fired always brings a smile to my face. My grandfather gave me this rifle to use for deer hunting and that is exactly what I use it for. It was my great grandfather's rifle to begin with.

LOVE that "PING"
It tends to gather admirers at the range as well. :)

Thompson
23 October 2014, 18:59
Well, that's probably the most important point...an AR is what you want!

FYI, Privi has Garand 30-06 for around $.80-ish/round. Not as good as good a price as CMP, but it's also specifically made for Garands, which can't shoot regular production 30-06 without a gas plug swap. Also, 30 Carbine is around $.50/round (last time I looked...I have a bunch stored away, so it's been a while). So yeah, 5.56 is definitely the cheaper way to go for plinking.
Interesting - thanks for sharing that tid bit. Learned something new today!

Who, that has an M1, doesn't love that PING ?

MonkeyBomb
23 October 2014, 21:09
I got a GM Inland Division M 1 Carbine when I was 10. It was my first deer rifle. I still have it. I like that little rifle.

WHSmithIV
23 October 2014, 21:12
Oh wow - didn't know this. According to their website, they said that M1 carbines are only available via the auction page - so I assumed they they didn't have them anymore. Is it the electronic newsletter that you get?

Yep, I get their electronic newsletter

WHSmithIV
23 October 2014, 21:53
I just checked the CMP website. They still have field grade M1 Garands listed at $595 + all the higher grades at higher prices of course.

Thompson
24 October 2014, 12:12
I just checked the CMP website. They still have field grade M1 Garands listed at $595 + all the higher grades at higher prices of course.
Yep just checked too - looks like they got another batch done. Last I checked (in the spring I checked) they barely had anything - excellent/collector grade and up.

Curious - if I could, would it be better to go to one of their actual store fronts versus ordering one?

gatordev
24 October 2014, 12:47
Curious - if I could, would it be better to go to one of their actual store fronts versus ordering one?

The short answer is: it depends.

Long version...

I wanted to get a Service Grade M1 several years ago and I could have ordered one online, but I thought it would be better to be able to fondle the stock on hand and pick what I wanted. I was fortunate, thanks to Uncle Sam, to have a very easy means of getting to Anniston, so several of us made a visit. When we got there, we found out they didn't have any SG rifles in stock. Bummer. All they had was RG and then the higher end ones (Correct and whatever their rebuilds are called, which are very nice). At the time (probably foolishly) I couldn't justify the price of a CG, so I found the best RG I could and went up to ask old Leon if he could educate me a bit. Since we were in uniform at the time, he wouldn't leave us alone and REALLY took care of us. He found an issue with the one I picked out (muzzle had a bur in it) and yanked it out of my hands and told me to go find another one. It was a fantastic experience and we ended up actually running a bit late because Leon took us under his wing and kept telling us all kinds of good info.

Since then, I've ordered a CG online and what I got was fantastic. But I also spent quite a bit of time on the CMP forums watching the EE and ended up finding a guy in the same city who was sitting on a ton of SG rifles and was only charging $100 more than CMP, which was worth it at the time since I didn't have to deal with importing it into California and the wait time.

My point is, a trip to the CMP store can be a great experience, but there's other ways to fondle something before you buy with some research. Actually, you can find some decent M1 Carbines on the CMP forum, as well. Obviously prices of everything are slowly going up. I have no need for a second M1 Carbine, but part of me wants to grab one now while I can and just put it away for a rainy day. I can shoot the one I have now and not worry about wear and tear.

Thompson
24 October 2014, 13:22
Yeah - that's my worry about ordering one vs picking one myself; I have this paranoia that I'll get one that has this only little blem that will drive me nuts for the remaining time I keep that M1.

I've heard great things about the employees at both North and South stores. I'm hoping sometime one of these summers between school, that I'll drive over to North with a friend and go dumpster diving there.

Curious - does the type of wood also dictate it's value? Have always been more of a fan of the birch/walnut colored stock.

Side note: love how this thread went from the Carbine to Garand [:D]

gatordev
24 October 2014, 13:43
The little blemishes are what give the rifle character!

The one my buddy grabbed had a Greek soldier's initials carved into the stock. It wasn't pretty, but it was a piece of history. I find it's interesting what you can find out there. The Service Grade mix master I bought from the guy I found privately ended up being a WWII receiver (Jun 43, I think) with a Nov 43 barrel on it. Sure the whole thing wasn't correct, but it was pretty cool to find an actual war-era rifle where the barrel and receiver age made sense, and it's in amazing shape.

Ironically, I've found my beat up Rack Grade to be the best shooter, so you never know what you'll get, even after you've bought it.

Thompson
24 October 2014, 14:01
Sorry; should have clarified haha - at least for CG/EG, I'd rather not have the blems.

But yeah - for RG/SG - of course!