PDA

View Full Version : Where to shoot

shenvalleywc
21 October 2014, 14:53
Sorry if this isn't the right place for this post, but it has to do with training.

Are there any drills that you can do without live rounds? I have a small range close by, but things other than bench shooting are prohibited, and being the only range within 50 miles, busy.

I've been shooting pistol since I was a kid, but am almost finished my first ar build and would like to get some practice just having it in the hands and being comfortable with it.

I am in the northern VA area with no friends with private land, but surrounded by national forest, if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions on how to begin training or websites that focus being a better shooter?

Thompson
21 October 2014, 17:42
I don't live in VA, so I couldn't give you any suggestions. But I can tell you this - try checking out google for like a form dedicated solely for all things guns, but just in VA.

Ie: I live in PA, and we have a forum called - Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association (http://forum.pafoa.org/)

Ride4frnt
21 October 2014, 17:44
Where do you live in NOVA? I may be able to make some suggestion.

shenvalleywc
21 October 2014, 21:24
Good idea on the forum, I'll search around.

I live near Winchester.

Thanks!

Ride4frnt
21 October 2014, 21:41
Easy! I'm in Hagerstown, MD, about 45 mins north of Winchester.

Peacemakernational.com

Peacemaker national training center, about 15-20 mins north of Winchester. They offer public shooting and yearly memberships. Public shooting is limited to inside 200yds, members can shoot out to 1000. They have a lot of training courses, competitions, etc. tactical ranges, as well as your standard bench ranges, and shotgun ranges and handgun.

Another one you could try is tango down range, in bunker hill wv, again about 15-20 mins north of Winchester. Tangodownrange.com

And if you're up for a scenic drive of about an hour or so, Green Ridge State Forest range in Little Orleans, MD. This is where I typically go because it's not generally busy, and it's 5 bucks a day or 25 a year to shoot. Only out to 100yds though, and you need to bring target stands. To get there you would hop on rt522, head up through berkley springs, wv, and into Hancock, MD, then get on I68 for about 15 mins and you're there.

The other option (could be the one you were talking about) is the Cove Campground in Gore, VA. Haven't been there, but plan to go this weekend. I hear it's a 100yd range that's basically like a landfill, dump whatever you want and shoot at it. Full auto, .50bmg, tannerite, etc.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

shenvalleywc
22 October 2014, 10:40
Thanks for taking the time to write that out! Didn't realize there were any so relatively close.

If you get to the cove, let me know how it is. My brother in law camps out there quite a bit, but doesn't shoot.

Easy! I'm in Hagerstown, MD, about 45 mins north of Winchester.

Peacemakernational.com

Peacemaker national training center, about 15-20 mins north of Winchester. They offer public shooting and yearly memberships. Public shooting is limited to inside 200yds, members can shoot out to 1000. They have a lot of training courses, competitions, etc. tactical ranges, as well as your standard bench ranges, and shotgun ranges and handgun.

Another one you could try is tango down range, in bunker hill wv, again about 15-20 mins north of Winchester. Tangodownrange.com

And if you're up for a scenic drive of about an hour or so, Green Ridge State Forest range in Little Orleans, MD. This is where I typically go because it's not generally busy, and it's 5 bucks a day or 25 a year to shoot. Only out to 100yds though, and you need to bring target stands. To get there you would hop on rt522, head up through berkley springs, wv, and into Hancock, MD, then get on I68 for about 15 mins and you're there.

The other option (could be the one you were talking about) is the Cove Campground in Gore, VA. Haven't been there, but plan to go this weekend. I hear it's a 100yd range that's basically like a landfill, dump whatever you want and shoot at it. Full auto, .50bmg, tannerite, etc.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

MonkeyBomb
11 December 2014, 10:25
I apologize for the necropost and waiting so long to stumble across this.

It sounds like you have found a place to practice live fire drills and that is a good thing.

You had asked about dry fire drills. I am a firm believer in dry fire drills. For every live round I fire I probably have 100 pulls of the trigger in dry fire practice. I have used them for pistol training and precision rifle training for many years.

I recently started using more dry fire drills for carbine training. I even went out and purches a Yellow "Barrel' action so my wife wouldn't walk in and think I was nutz.

I am lucky in a way because I happen to have my home to myself for several hours each day. It makes it easier to do practice drills.

Weapons are cleared and No ammo in the AO. I remove the bolt carrier on my usual AR and slap in the training carrier and the barrel cover. I can then dry fire all I want and I have no chance of a ND.

I practice weapons manipulation and engaging different targets at different heights, angles and distance. Most of this is done at a fairly slow speed. I am makimg sure the mechanics are there and they are done properly. Speed comes with confidence.

I wasn't sure how well this would work since in general up close work is more about speed and precision. I can say without a dout this has helped make my range time far more productive. I stay "fresh" and I am GTG for movement trigger control and staying on target.

If you are looking for precision its even easier. The same precautions Cleared weapon no ammo in the AO and set up pick a target and dry fire paying attention to trigger control with a nice steady press constanly to the rear until the trigger breaks.

Doing dry fire drills correctly is great. Live fore will confirm you are doing the dry fire correctly and it will save you a ton of cash on ammo.

Here is a link to online drills that you might find handy. Its best if you can hook a laptop to a TV. Thats one of the big reasons I have the yellow barrels. I don't want to shoot my expensive TV or into my neighbors home while dry firing.

http://www.predatortactical.com/cart.php?m=knowledgebase_detail&id=5