PDA

View Full Version : Laser bore sights

WHSmithIV
21 October 2014, 16:58
Does anyone bother to use them?

Honestly, I can't see any real advantage for using one to sight in a rifle. The best thing to do is have the rifle in a rest and adjust the sights to be on target.

From a technological perspective, setting the sights to match the laser of a bore sight 'might' save you two bullets. But, you still have to fire the rifle to know you're sighted in for your own eyes. 2 bullets are a lot cheaper than a bore sight.

VIPER 237
21 October 2014, 17:57
All a bore sight will do is get you on paper at 25y, the only time I generally will use one is if I have a rifle that wont hit at that distance. They do not accurately zero in your rifle.

WHSmithIV
21 October 2014, 18:19
All a bore sight will do is get you on paper at 25y, the only time I generally will use one is if I have a rifle that wont hit at that distance. They do not accurately zero in your rifle.

I know - that's why I don't see much use for them. I'm wondering what use for them there is at all? I can't see any value in them and have no intention of buying one either.

tappedandtagged
26 October 2014, 17:13
I use one and really like it. It usually puts the windage really close for me. I usually bore sight it with my laser, shoot once at 20 yards, adjust a few clicks, then take it to 100.

I have had scopes that weren't on paper at 20. A cheap laser bore sighter is a pretty valuable tool in my book.

mustangfreek
26 October 2014, 17:56
Im cheap and just do it the old way, as prop the gun up, this case upper, with bcg out and setup a target or use something outside and look thru the barrel and align the scope crosshairs to it..Has never let me down to get on a 12" target at 100 yards...

camomike
26 October 2014, 18:07
Im cheap and just do it the old way, as prop the gun up, this case upper, with bcg out and setup a target or use something outside and look thru the barrel and align the scope crosshairs to it..Has never let me down to get on a 12" target at 100 yards...

+1
I do the same. Can usually zero with 2-3 rounds from this point