PDA

View Full Version : 77gr Sierra MK load recipe?

Nathan_Mack
22 October 2014, 09:54
After I have assembled my personalized SPR I will start reloading (not new to reloading) for it. I have a 75gr Berger load that I've used in a previous 1/8 twist 24" barrel AR15, but I want to add 77gr SMK to the list as well.

If anyone is willing to share recipes, much obliged. I'll be shooting them through a 18" barrel. I'll be purchasing the bullets with cannalure.

Ride4frnt
22 October 2014, 10:34
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5898

Nathan_Mack
22 October 2014, 12:04
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5898

Thanks. There is some sparse info there about 77gr SMK loads, but only with Ramshot TAC and Vitivhouri (sp?) powders. Neither are common for me.

Hodgdon Varget or 4895? Winchester powders?

Ride4frnt
22 October 2014, 12:17
I can't help as all I've got are 55gr fmjs and h335. But feel free to post all your recipes over there! I need to get some info on 75-77gr too, my gun needs a heavier bullet

Nathan_Mack
22 October 2014, 13:25
I found my 73gr Berger load. Posted it on your thread.

mustangfreek
22 October 2014, 15:48
Im working with Nosler 77's at the moment...

Dont think there is much difference, other then price..

Nathan_Mack
22 October 2014, 17:46

Not saying it applies to SMK vs Noslers, but some bullets have remarkably different ogives and bearing surface lengths that can alter powder charges by half a grain--sometimes more. Of course, all are being loaded to a COAL of 2.260" max, so it's not so much of a huge concern.

mustangfreek
23 October 2014, 02:09
Not saying it applies to SMK vs Noslers, but some bullets have remarkably different ogives and bearing surface lengths that can alter powder charges by half a grain--sometimes more. Of course, all are being loaded to a COAL of 2.260" max, so it's not so much of a huge concern.

Oh i get that, i was more or less just saying ...for me so far i have seen no real difference between the regular SMK's vs the nosler 77's and actually for me a slight edge to the noslers..Which is better as there cheaper..lol..

Do want to get some of those new tipped MK's to play with...

Nathan_Mack
23 October 2014, 10:21
Oh i get that, i was more or less just saying ...for me so far i have seen no real difference between the regular SMK's vs the nosler 77's and actually for me a slight edge to the noslers..Which is better as there cheaper..lol..

Do want to get some of those new tipped MK's to play with...

My one concern, which I don't get many definitive answers for, is the benefit(s) of using a cannalured bullet with a light crimp. I am not toting the ammo around as a soldier would, but it will be subjected to semi-auto operation and storage in magazines. M4 feed ramps help reduce setback issues with bullets, but I tend to err on the side of caution in this area.

Sierra cannalure bullets are more expensive than the ones lacking a cannalure.

Former11B
23 October 2014, 11:55
Crimp or no crimp is a debated topic kinda like .45 vs 9mm from what I've seen in the reloading community. I am in the "no crimp" camp.

I have been loading 5.56/.223 for a few years. All of my cannelured bullets are 55gr FMJ "plinking" rounds...and crimping requires a uniform case OAL and constant trimming. For my non-match range ammo, I don't trim that often so I wouldn't get a consistent crimp. I also read about a "Test" online: push a loaded round, bullet first, into a 2x4 firmly (not like you're striking it down, just push) and see if you have any setback. If the setback is noticeable then I'd look into why the neck tension isn't sufficient enough.

I have no gripes with people who DO crimp...I just personally haven't felt like its a requirement for my loading needs.

Nathan_Mack
23 October 2014, 19:03
Crimp or no crimp is a debated topic kinda like .45 vs 9mm from what I've seen in the reloading community. I am in the "no crimp" camp.

I have been loading 5.56/.223 for a few years. All of my cannelured bullets are 55gr FMJ "plinking" rounds...and crimping requires a uniform case OAL and constant trimming. For my non-match range ammo, I don't trim that often so I wouldn't get a consistent crimp. I also read about a "Test" online: push a loaded round, bullet first, into a 2x4 firmly (not like you're striking it down, just push) and see if you have any setback. If the setback is noticeable then I'd look into why the neck tension isn't sufficient enough.

I have no gripes with people who DO crimp...I just personally haven't felt like its a requirement for my loading needs.

I shot a lot of 73gr Berger .223cal rounds in my old RRA Varmint rig and never any issues - and never crimped them now that I think of it. So I can see your point. Maybe n I'll just save the extra $10 per 100 bullets and buy more powder.

markm
30 October 2014, 09:20

We shoot them to 1000 yards and they are every bit as good as the SMK.

markm
30 October 2014, 09:25
My pet load for 77gr Mk262ish ammo runs off of 8208 XBR. It's a little on the fast side compared to what is rumored to be the real 262 powder. So I only get to about 2730-2740 fps out of a 20" barrel. That's plenty of velocity for me and gets the bullet to 1000 yards accurately.

My charge is 23.4 gr. This should be worked up to, if anyone tries it, as it is over published max.

mustangfreek
30 October 2014, 11:28
My pet load for 77gr Mk262ish ammo runs off of 8208 XBR. It's a little on the fast side compared to what is rumored to be the real 262 powder. So I only get to about 2730-2740 fps out of a 20" barrel. That's plenty of velocity for me and gets the bullet to 1000 yards accurately.

My charge is 23.4 gr. This should be worked up to, if anyone tries it, as it is over published max.

Cool..good info..just picked up a pound of 8208 XBR to play wit h, for the 77's

markm
31 October 2014, 06:57
I could almost go 100% XBR and be happy. It's not perfect, but it's a great do all powder. I got 55 gr balistic tips to stack nice hole, and on the flip side it runs 77s like a champ.

H322 is always my accuracy king, but XBR is a great powder to have.

Aberration79
1 November 2014, 09:35
I just worked up 50. 22.8-23.6 using TAC. Looking to see about borrowing a chronograph before I go test em.

Nathan_Mack
1 November 2014, 11:53

77gr SMK run in the .380~.390 BC range, so I am curious at 1000 yards since velocities are very trans-sonic what kind of accuracy at 1000 yards you are getting?

markm
1 November 2014, 13:06
77gr SMK run in the .380~.390 BC range, so I am curious at 1000 yards since velocities are very trans-sonic what kind of accuracy at 1000 yards you are getting?

Great accuracy. When there's no wind, we can smack a 15" rock at 1076 yards 3 out of 3 times with a 20" Rem 700. The bullets really go through transonic nicely. No fanning at all. Granted it's largely for fun only, but the bullets handle it well.

Nathan_Mack
2 November 2014, 09:46
Great accuracy. When there's no wind, we can smack a 15" rock at 1076 yards 3 out of 3 times with a 20" Rem 700. The bullets really go through transonic nicely. No fanning at all. Granted it's largely for fun only, but the bullets handle it well.

That's damn impressive considering that at below 1500 fps the BC is about .300.

Curiously, I am excited to try out the Prvi Partisan 75gr ammo I bought to break in my SPR. It's not hand loaded ammo or factory match ammo, but I am expecting decent reaults.

markm
3 November 2014, 05:51
The PRVI is more of a hollow point bullet than an OTM. They should shoot 1.5 MOA or so. I've hand loaded the bullets and could never get them under MOA. I've shot them into water jugs and they open up like a hollow point compared to the OTMs that frag. I keep a bunch of the 75 PRVI handloaded as stash ammo. It's definitely better than M193 or M855.