PDA

View Full Version : CPL Waiting Game

akersc
27 October 2014, 14:07
So I FINALLY got to take my CPL class this weekend, and passed with flying colors! Now its the "pay me all the money and wait game" SO I ask this: What does it take in your state to acquire your CPL?

Midland, MI requires you to:
1. Take the class
2. pick up a packet
3. Get finger printed (This only happens 2 x a month and is during 11-2)
4. Get 2 pictures taken
5. Turn all that crap back in
6. WAIT FOREVER for them to approve or deny your request
7. Get the letter 8. Go to the County Clerk and pick it up.
This whole process takes about 2 - 2.5 months.........

I am a super impatient girl and may go [crazy]

Ride4frnt
27 October 2014, 14:13
Hmm...what does it take in maryland...off the top if my head, you need to carry large sums of cash daily, or have 3 legitimate threats on your life or something bogus like that. What I'm saying is, it's impossible. We have to go through all of the crap you listed just to BUY a handgun, carry permits are like unicorn tears if you aren't LEO.

Pyzik
27 October 2014, 14:28
Congrats. Michigander here too. When I read "CPL" I knew it would be a michigan post.

The waiting does suck.

akersc
27 October 2014, 14:47
Hmm...what does it take in maryland...off the top if my head, you need to carry large sums of cash daily, or have 3 legitimate threats on your life or something bogus like that. What I'm saying is, it's impossible. We have to go through all of the crap you listed just to BUY a handgun, carry permits are like unicorn tears if you aren't LEO.

I'd move!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akersc
27 October 2014, 14:48
Congrats. Michigander here too. When I read "CPL" I knew it would be a michigan post.

The waiting does suck.

I remember when it was called ccw, now you say that and it's like calling a magazine a clip ;)

Ride4frnt
27 October 2014, 14:48
I'd move!

Workin on it. Where I live now I'm half a mile from PA in one direction and 10 mins from WV in the other direction.

akersc
27 October 2014, 14:49
Workin on it. Where I live now I'm half a mile from PA in one direction and 10 mins from WV in the other direction.

Good call. We are looking at moving as well, gun laws were the first thing we looked at!

Pyzik
27 October 2014, 14:53
I'd move!

Don't be too quick to call the kettle black there pot. We're one of only four states that have a pistol registration. And we have to register SBRs with the state and the gov.

On top of that are pistol length laws are goofy.

Our governor vetoed our chances at getting a pistol free zone exempt checkbox.

We've got a lot to do here in Michigan and I don't blame some people for wanting to move because of our restrictive laws.

EDIT: just noticed this...

Good call. We are looking at as well, gun laws were the first thing we looked at!

UWone77
27 October 2014, 14:54
For me:

1. Watch bad CHiPs reruns over and over as a kid
2. Apply to the Police Department
3. Nationwide carry. [:D]

akersc
27 October 2014, 14:57
For me:

Damn I think I'm doing it wrong...... Maybe I should do a major career change - you hiring? 😉

Pyzik
27 October 2014, 14:57
For me:

I've always wanted to be a cop because I'm a gun guy, but I've always felt like I would be too conflicted by having to enforce laws I don't agree with.

Former11B
27 October 2014, 15:01

I couldn't imagine restrictions like that. I tried...and I couldnt. What a travesty

UWone77
27 October 2014, 15:07
I've always wanted to be a cop because I'm a gun guy, but I've always felt like I would be too conflicted by having to enforce laws I don't agree with.

Depends on where you live. We have pretty good gun laws, Shall issue state on CPL's, Open Carry, Decent NFA.

I can't think of a time I've had to take guns away from citizen who wasn't a felon.

ddearmon2010
27 October 2014, 15:19

The waiting does suck.

originally from Michigan also.... used to be a short process... but like anything now days if the government is involved it takes weeks

ddearmon2010
27 October 2014, 15:21
For me:

reruns? damn I'm old

camomike
27 October 2014, 15:23
Same here in Minnesota. Shall issue, open carry. Our laws could be a lititle looser, but i'm not complaining too much. Think it's around a month here if I remember what my sister had to go through right.

Dstrbdmedic167
27 October 2014, 15:58
I live in NC and it goes a little something like this...

1. Take "8" hour class that includes "qualifying" at 3,5 and 7 yds. just hit paper it didn't seem to matter where.
2. Take certificate to local sheriff's office after you went online a made an appt.
3. give said permit to clerk and then have fingerprints taken.
4. wait 30-90 days for letter.
5. Pick up permit from same clerk.
6. Carry in 95% of places.

Also a plus here that may or may not be the same other places(i'm curious). Having my CCWP allows me to buy any firearm on the spot without background check. All I need is my state issued ID, notice how I worded that, and CCWP and i'm good to go for either dealer or personal firearms. This applies to both long guns and pistol by dealers and handguns for individual.

Pyzik
27 October 2014, 16:04
Also a plus here that may or may not be the same other places(i'm curious). Having my CCWP allows me to buy any firearm on the spot without background check. All I need is my state issued ID, notice how I worded that, and CCWP and i'm good to go for either dealer or personal fireams. This applies to both long guns and pistol by dealers and handguns for individual.
Same here. But most gun store still do the check anyway. :/

GaSwamper
27 October 2014, 16:19
Took a min. to figure out the CPL, here in GA we still call it CCW. For a second I thought you ment CPA. Mine took about 20 min. walked in, fingerprint, photo done.

Oh and the $75 fee.

akersc
27 October 2014, 18:53
Took a min. to figure out the CPL, here in GA we still call it CCW. For a second I thought you ment CPA. Mine took about 20 min. walked in, fingerprint, photo done.

Oh and the $75 fee.

What the crap! It's $130 here! It used to be call ccw here, they changed it to cpl for whatever reason.

Pyzik
27 October 2014, 18:54
Akersc, are you on MGO?

akersc
27 October 2014, 18:54
I live in NC and it goes a little something like this...

1. Take "8" hour class that includes "qualifying" at 3,5 and 7 yds. just hit paper it didn't seem to matter where.
2. Take certificate to local sheriff's office after you went online a made an appt.
3. give said permit to clerk and then have fingerprints taken.
4. wait 30-90 days for letter.
5. Pick up permit from same clerk.
6. Carry in 95% of places.

Also a plus here that may or may not be the same other places(i'm curious). Having my CCWP allows me to buy any firearm on the spot without background check. All I need is my state issued ID, notice how I worded that, and CCWP and i'm good to go for either dealer or personal firearms. This applies to both long guns and pistol by dealers and handguns for individual.

Yeah that's about the same here, the wait is just a tad longer because my sherrifs office only finger prints twice a month and I missed both for this month.

Dstrbdmedic167
27 October 2014, 18:55
Ours is $90 so I guess we're in the middle.

akersc
Akersc, are you on MGO?

Uh maybe a stupid question but what's mgo?

akersc
Ours is $90 so I guess we're in the middle.

Ours says $105, but they get us with all the extras!

Dstrbdmedic167
27 October 2014, 18:56
Ours says $105, but they get us with all the extras!

Fine print sucks...

akersc
27 October 2014, 18:56
Fine print sucks...

Yeah I was not impressed.

Pyzik
27 October 2014, 18:57
Uh maybe a stupid question but what's mgo?

Hahaha! Well that answers that!

Michigan Gun Owners
migunowners.org

Dstrbdmedic167
27 October 2014, 18:57
Yeah I was not impressed.

Understood but at least it's done now.. Ours last 5 years and the it's $75 for renewal. Then all we have to do is pay the fee online and pick up our permit.

akersc
27 October 2014, 18:58
Hahaha! Well that answers that!

Michigan Gun Owners
migunowners.org

Yeah Nope. However I shall check it out.

akersc
27 October 2014, 18:59
Understood but at least it's done now.. Ours last 5 years and the it's $75 for renewal. Then all we have to do is pay the fee online and pick up our permit.

I think ours is the same.

CarbonScoring
27 October 2014, 19:02
Same here in Minnesota. Shall issue, open carry. Our laws could be a lititle looser, but i'm not complaining too much. Think it's around a month here if I remember what my sister had to go through right.

I'm in MN as well. Pretty much just take a class, turn in paperwork with the sheriff and wait about a month.

Our permit is out purchase permit as well, but we still have to go through background checks to purchase.

ducrider14
27 October 2014, 19:11
Oregon here, have to take a class, mine was 30 minutes, got to court house and get fingerprinted and background and a week later get permit, $65, also in Oregon if you have a permit it is legal to carry in all public schools, and airports, or anywhere for that matter, as long as it's not private property and they don't want you to, but even then you can carry concealed and if they see it and ask you to leave they can't arrest you unless you refuse to leave, then it's trespassing. Also any length ar15 pistol, and full auto, suppressed, and sbr's are legal with paperwork

akersc
27 October 2014, 19:13
Oregon here, have to take a class, mine was 30 minutes, got to court house and get fingerprinted and background and a week later get permit, $65, also in Oregon if you have a permit it is legal to carry in all public schools, and airports, or anywhere for that matter, as long as it's not private property and they don't want you to, but even then you can carry concealed and if they see it and ask you to leave they can't arrest you unless you refuse to leave, then it's trespassing. Also any length ar15 pistol, and full auto, suppressed, and sbr's are legal with paperwork

I need to move there!

Pyzik
27 October 2014, 19:16
Vermont, Alaska, Arizona or Montana... I'd move tomorrow

akersc
27 October 2014, 19:17
Vermont, Alaska, Arizona or Montana... I'd move tomorrow

We're looking at Alabama and Missouri. Oregon looks pretty damn good too.

ducrider14
27 October 2014, 19:29
Also no wait time to purchase in Oregon, I've gone in and bought two handguns and a shotgun and walked out 30 minutes later, also legal to open carry loaded, and no permit needed for a loaded long gun, at least it used to be like that

Dstrbdmedic167
27 October 2014, 19:36
I actually had a drunk guy knock on my door late at night and I answered with my ar and told him to leave and a cop I talked to later said good job, now it might not be like that in the city, but it's great here

My wife "heard" a noise a few months ago. Here I am in my boxers checking out my property with my .277 WLV( had light at the time) only to find a couple raccoons causing a ruckus.

RobSWVA
27 October 2014, 21:55
VA you just have to fill out application w/ court clerk, they give you a copy of it, which is a defacto permit until the decision is rendered, which they have a max of 30 days to give you a decision. They offer conceal carry classes around here, so I'm assuming the would want you to take that before they would approve it. 1x class for a cpl hours, they do em at the fire depts. around here on weekends, so pretty easy

EDIT: at least in my part of VA that is, due to D.C. area its kinda like two states in one depending on where you live, lol

mustangfreek
28 October 2014, 02:05
Wow..

To get mine in WA, it was $52-55 bux ,fill out form, fingerprints, sit back and wait and receive in mail 3 weeks later...[:D]

akersc
28 October 2014, 04:25
Also no wait time to purchase in Oregon, I've gone in and bought two handguns and a shotgun and walked out 30 minutes later, also legal to open carry loaded, and no permit needed for a loaded long gun, at least it used to be like that

We don't wait to purchase firearms here either. The majority of my time spent "waiting" is because I talk to much and get sidetracked :)

akersc
28 October 2014, 04:31
Wow..

To get mine in WA, it was $52-55 bux ,fill out form, fingerprints, sit back and wait and receive in mail 3 weeks later...[:D]

Wtf Michigan needs to get their shit together!

Gaspipeshooter
28 October 2014, 05:46
In Ohio, you are required to take a certification class of 8 hours classroom, 4 hours range time/qualification. Then go in person to the county sheriff's office, supplying two passport sized photos, get finger printed, fill out an extensive application, wait for background check to be completed, then receive permit card in mail a few weeks later, (assuming you pass background check...[:D])

skijunkie55
28 October 2014, 12:49
What the crap! It's $130 here! It used to be call ccw here, they changed it to cpl for whatever reason.

Why was your's $130? did they charge extra for fingerprinting?? I live around the corner from the sheriff's office, so I went and got my stuff taken care of during lunch one day. Got my CPL in the mail within 40 days. We did away with the gun board, having to pick up your CPL in person, etc. (ottawa county)

It was changed from CCW because i believe in Michigan that is the felony charge associated with carrying a concealed weapon without legal permission to do so (ie CPL )
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-227

One thing that is beneficial with michigan's CPL requirements is that we have reciprocity with nearly every state that allows for concealed carry due to the training requirement, while not all states have reciprocity in Michigan. Oregon and Washington for instance don't share that benefit...
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Just in case you get the itch to travel or move for the promise of greater "freedom"

Computalotapus
28 October 2014, 13:13
They charge for the fingerprinting, the picture and she opted for the plastic card instead of the paper card.

akersc
28 October 2014, 15:32
Why was your's $130? did they charge extra for fingerprinting?? I live around the corner from the sheriff's office, so I went and got my stuff taken care of during lunch one day. Got my CPL in the mail within 40 days. We did away with the gun board, having to pick up your CPL in person, etc. (ottawa county)

It was changed from CCW because i believe in Michigan that is the felony charge associated with carrying a concealed weapon without legal permission to do so (ie CPL )
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-227

One thing that is beneficial with michigan's CPL requirements is that we have reciprocity with nearly every state that allows for concealed carry due to the training requirement, while not all states have reciprocity in Michigan. Oregon and Washington for instance don't share that benefit...
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Just in case you get the itch to travel or move for the promise of greater "freedom"

Thank you for the info ☺️

camomike
21 November 2014, 21:50
Taking the class/shooting portion for mine tomorrow morning. Looking forward to filing for it shortly there after.

akersc
23 November 2014, 09:50
Taking the class/shooting portion for mine tomorrow morning. Looking forward to filing for it shortly there after.

How'd it go?

camomike
23 November 2014, 12:08
I'd say it went well.
First 10 rounds. 5, mag change, 5 - around 7-8 seconds at 7 yards. Instructor leaned in and said "ummm you passed"
Was using my G21 Was happy with it. He had me fire about 20 more rounds (off hand) signed off, Then gave me the range to shoot for fun.
I will say I was really pleased to see the amount of women taking the class; 4 out of the 10 of us. Was also pleased to see the age range. I think I was the youngest in the class at 34. Most of the people were in their mid 40's, one of the people was a lady in her mid to late 60's and my father came in the oldest at 74.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m19/Michael_Camo_Lohman/20141122_1514531_zpscc51f723.jpg

akersc
23 November 2014, 14:24
I'd say it went well.
First 10 rounds. 5, mag change, 5 - around 7-8 seconds at 7 yards. Instructor leaned in and said "ummm you passed"
Was using my G21 Was happy with it. He had me fire about 20 more rounds (off hand) signed off, Then gave me the range to shoot for fun.
I will say I was really pleased to see the amount of women taking the class; 4 out of the 10 of us. Was also pleased to see the age range. I think I was the youngest in the class at 34. Most of the people were in their mid 40's, one of the people was a lady in her mid to late 60's and my father came in the oldest at 74.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m19/Michael_Camo_Lohman/20141122_1514531_zpscc51f723.jpg

Awesome. My instructor had Comp bring the AR over so we could have some fun with those after my class. I'm glad I took it with him.