PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Discussion

SturmSoldaten
20 October 2008, 17:45
what weapon related foum can go without this discussion.

now i am a .45ACP fan myself and bog down the 9mm even though i have never used it but i am open minded. 9mm gets a bad rap for no stopping power and overpenetration but that is from PD's and the military and correct me if i'm worng but they only use FMJ. how does a 9mm or 9mm +p hollowpoint perform compared to a .45ACP? now i dont need ballistic data and all that noise. what it comes down to is that will it take down (kill if you wanna get dirty) what i am aiming at.

Stickman
20 October 2008, 18:33
If you are looking for a short and simple answer, my police department has put a lot of bad guys in the ground with 9mm hollow points (when we carried 9mm).

I carry a Glock 19 as my offduty weapon, and recently chose it as the weapon to carry while I was doing special work on the east coast. Current 9mm ammo is quite potent, and I have no problems in using it for defensive whatever needs may arise.

m24shooter
20 October 2008, 18:45
A lot of the bad press on the 9 is from older bullet designs and the .45 cal mafia. The 9 is more than capable of being a very good defensive round, and technology is letting it do a lot more than it used to. There are even rounds loaded for the shorter compact and subcompact pistols now.
As for LEO/.mil using FMJ, you are partially right. There is no prohibition on using FMJ in LE work unless it is a departmental issue. The .mil is governened by the Laws of Armed Conflict and various international accords that pretty much dictate FMJ against uniformed military personnel (so for CT use it would be OK legally). Outside of that, not so much.
I have no problems or second thoughts carrying a G17 and G19 depending on what I'm doing.

Stickman
20 October 2008, 19:06
HP is allowed for military use in operations other than combat with enemy forces. Normal 9mm military use is still ball ammo, which is a joke.

Dutch
20 October 2008, 20:10
The US Air Force Security Forces currently use 9mm HP as the standard ammunition in the M-9's for installation security.

Dutch

Stickman
20 October 2008, 20:49
The US Air Force Security Forces currently use 9mm HP as the standard ammunition in the M-9's for installation security.

Dutch

For LE work as well I believe.

Eric
21 October 2008, 20:34
Modern HP handgun rounds overlap in their performance.
Just remember, all handgun ammunition takes a backseat to rifle/shotgun ammo in the ability to stop the problem.

IcemanFL
22 October 2008, 10:55
If you are looking for a short and simple answer, my police department has put a lot of bad guys in the ground with 9mm hollow points (when we carried 9mm).

I carry a Glock 19 as my offduty weapon, and recently chose it as the weapon to carry while I was doing special work on the east coast. Current 9mm ammo is quite potent, and I have no problems in using it for defensive whatever needs may arise.

Stick, what holster do you carry off duty. I currently carry my 19 in an Andrews Leather IWB and am looking for a tuckable kydex rig. I have carried and XD9 in a Comp-Tac CTAC and am looking at one of those, but am also looking at a Bladetech UCH. Any exp. with either?

Pointblank
21 February 2009, 03:33
I've worn the Bladetech quite a bit and even though it looks like it would be uncomfortable it isn't. It also gives you the ability to reholster with one hand. Now that I'm older and retired and lean more towards leather I must admit.

Army Chief
21 February 2009, 08:03
A single hit with a 9x19 remains vastly more effective than eight misses with a .45 ACP, even though I have an admitted Old School bias towards the latter.

The point is that modern loadings really render the popular argument against the 9mm invalid, and anyone that tells you otherwise is probably trying to justify a preference. In military FMJ trim, all else being equal, I want the biggest round that I can reasonably control, but HP loadings tend to level the playing field in a hurry.

AC

MerQ
21 February 2009, 08:16
I agree and it goes back to the argument that people have against 5.56mm as well. They are both widely fielded rounds by every NATO country and last time I checked very effective at killing millions of OpFor in various contingencies. Neither round is perfect for every situation (that can be said about any round though) but they are effective when used in the capacity it was designed for. Shot placement typically is more important than round caliber.

103m 95g
21 February 2009, 10:30
If you are looking for a short and simple answer, my police department has put a lot of bad guys in the ground with 9mm hollow points.

The Dept. I work for issued Beretta 92f's we switched to the PX4 storm last year. before the transition the range staff was pushing for .40s&w. the Sheriff at the time asked " whats wrong with 9mm?, every deputy involved shooting we have had, the bad guy went down, allowing the deputy to go home at the end of the shift, so whats wrong with 9mm?"

Issued ammo is Speer gold dot 147g

OfcPowder
15 March 2009, 16:17
Stick, what holster do you carry off duty. I currently carry my 19 in an Andrews Leather IWB and am looking for a tuckable kydex rig. I have carried and XD9 in a Comp-Tac CTAC and am looking at one of those, but am also looking at a Bladetech UCH. Any exp. with either?

Off duty / concealed (and as my on-duty BUG), I personally carry a Glock 26, but am wanting a Glock 19. The G26 is only a fraction smaller when you add the pinky extenders, and the 19 would add a few more rounds.

As for the holster, I use a DeSantis Scorpion IWB, which is the kydex / hard plastic type. It's very comfortable for long periods of time and I would highly recommend it if you're looking for something along those lines.

I love the 9mm HP rounds, they are very potent and do make a good defensive round. Our department issues +P+ for off-duty carry, so they have a little extra kick. I'm actually more accurate with my baby Glock 9 than I am with my full size Glock 21 (.45acp). I would carry a 9mm on duty but our department doesn't currently offer 9mm.

Just my $0.02...

Alaskapopo
16 March 2009, 02:33
I like the 9mm and 45. There is not a huge difference in stopping power. The difference in stopping power with the 45 is made up for by the lighter recoil and hence greater rate of fire with the 9mm.
Pat
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/bullets/Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/bullets/Handgun_expanded_JHP.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/bullets/9mmvs40vs45.gif

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/bullets/IM000819.jpg

tac40
16 March 2009, 06:30
Any new 9mm ammo coming out during the 2009 SHOT show?