PDA

View Full Version : First AR Build in Progress

alamo5000
28 October 2014, 19:10
I am starting this thread to let you know what I am up to.

First off, thank you to Stickman and CMT. I won an slick side CMT UPR4 Billet upper from Stickman (and CMT) in his giveaway.

I fully intend to A) show my appreciation for the gift B) hopefully make a Stickman worthy build on my very first ever AR build.

Pics will only be put up after I get this bad boy all assembled and running. I would also like to say thank you to UWone77 and several other members here who have been MORE than generous with their time and expertise. I would love to name everyone but I would be scared to leave someone out... you guys have all been great. The sense of community here is awesome. No questions are treated as stupid... well unless they really are stupid [crazy] LOL!!!

Here is what I have procured thus far... (I just counted and I am about $1500 bucks into this thing)

I bought a CMT matching billet lower (Gen 2). So far those two things are the only things in my possession. The rest is in USPS, FEDEX, or UPS at present :)

I have specific reasons why I bought what I bought... and some of it I just kind of gambled (a little) on not really knowing everything.

Now here's my list.

Slick side billet upper w/dust cover and a Gen2 billet lower from CMT
Geisselle SMR MK2 15" rail
Rainier arms select medcon 16" 1:8 twist polygonal barrel (black) plus a (black) Rainier RAC compensator
Magpul MOE grip (you guessed it--black) and a Magpul ACS-L Carbine stock (black) and a rainier arms milspec buffer tube kit
Rainier Arms Phosphate bolt carrier group
Seekins enhanced billet mag release button, seekins enhanced bolt catch, and a seekins melonited black gas tube, and a black rainier arms low profile match grade gas block
My trigger is a CMC flat (w/lower hook) 3.5 pound custom trigger
My charging handle is a Rainier Arms Ambi Raptor

Aside from that there are a few bits and pieces...all in the mail. I hope I didn't forget to order anything [:D]

Will keep you updated as I go along.

I have a buddy who is a professional (he's my FFL too) and a certified gunsmith and is an all around nice guy who speaks "french" a lot [:D] (Not the french in Paris but rather the more salty kind)... he's a total hoot. Funny guy and very nice.

He's offered to put the whole thing together for me for no more than $40 while showing me how to do it in the process. I am sure I could figure out most of it but he has the tools and blocks and vices and crap and the last thing I want to do is mar up my build.

Usually though with Jim if he tells me $40 it tends to be like $20 depending on his mood LOL.

Lkb513
28 October 2014, 19:13
Can't wait to see it =D let me know how you like that cmc flat trigger! I've been looking at that trigger for my current build!

Computalotapus
28 October 2014, 19:16
This is going to be epic build. The CMC trigger will not disappoint.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8.1

alamo5000
28 October 2014, 19:26
Can't wait to see it =D let me know how you like that cmc flat trigger! I've been looking at that trigger for my current build!

I put a lot of thought into the trigger... I put a lot of thought into the whole AR to be truthful...

But for the trigger here is WHY I chose that one... with a traditional curved trigger, after I shoot a bit or if it's hot or whatever...or even if you get gunk on the trigger I feel like my finger more or less has minute little 'slips'. Its a whole lot harder to have proper finger placement on a curved trigger. 2-3mm left or right or up or down can mean the difference in a shot (at least with pistols this is true, so I applied that logic to this as well). This trigger helps eliminate or at least minimizes these issues of shooter error.

With that trigger I can use the base of the trigger so that I can get a consistent placement of my finger on the trigger, which means more consistent shots. This is just one aspect of course, but it makes sense to me. I like the single stage because I like to know when and where the trigger will break. No guesswork. No wondering. No play. In my opinion this helps eliminate trigger jerk because you know, when you put your finger on there, it's ready and will go bang.

I also chose the lighter of the lot on pull for this reason too. A small movement on trigger requiring more effort can mean big differences downrange. Basically it's light, simple, crisp, deliberate, and there is no mystery involved with it (particularly for those shots meant to be more accurate).

I have a few other things that I could add but that kind of sums it up for me. I don't like the whole 'play' in the trigger... pull... tension... bang....naaaah... just know its 100% set to go with no play time involved.

alamo5000
28 October 2014, 19:33
My next thing I need to decide on is the optic. I have been racking my brain on this part but I am narrowing it down. I do not know enough about optics to make informed choices as of yet but i am trying to learn.

I am narrowing down my search as we speak....

With almost any part on this rifle I can give you a reason why I put that particular part on there. (within reason)...some things I wasn't sure so I just made a choice... but there are multiple components that were deliberately chosen and have specific reasons behind them.

UWone77
28 October 2014, 19:56
$40 to put it together and explain to you how it's done. That's actually pretty reasonable.

alamo5000
28 October 2014, 20:08
$40 to put it together and explain to you how it's done. That's actually pretty reasonable.

If I take him a 6 pack I am sure I can bargain him down to half price. Or he might just give it to me half price anyway.... but that was specifically what he offered to do the whole job for me when I went to pick up my lower.

I am gonna take him up on it. The last thing I want to do is screw this thing up...

He;s a super cool guy. Lots of fun... he's a real character. I laugh as I think of some of the crazy (funny) stuff he's told me before...

I have a couple of guys around who can help me but Jim is a big time professional. He spent like 20 grand getting all the certs and this and that. Authorized in Sig, Glock, and who knows what else. He's a gem... he takes care of his people and we take care of him. That's the way we roll.

DutyUse
28 October 2014, 20:42
Congrats on the upper! Sounds like your off to a good start.. Keep us updated with your build and post pictures along the way :D

alamo5000
28 October 2014, 20:45
Sounds like your off to a good start! Congrats on the upper! Make sure you post build pictures along the way :D

I am gonna take the parts to my buddy and he's gonna teach me the ropes the CORRECT way.... so probably the pics will be of the finished product. :)

Well, semi finished I guess. I have all the parts for the gun but I am having a hard time deciding what optic I want... and my wallet is now lighter than before... I have ideas but I am not sure.

I need to locate an optic expert here on the board to steer me right.

DutyUse
28 October 2014, 20:48
What kind of optic type are you interested in? I'm sure whatever it is someone here can give you a detailed breakdown

alamo5000
28 October 2014, 21:14
I started out looking at something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/911082-REG/bushnell_ar91424i_1_4x24_ar_optics_30mm.html

But I am also thinking of something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Primary-Arms-Compact-Prism-Scope/dp/B00MRC0OJQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1414555252&sr=1-1&keywords=Primary+Arms+4X+Compact+Prism+Scope

As usual I had thoughts in my head then I went to the store and played around with some stuff and now I doubt myself.

Of course I cannot leave trijicon acogs off the list.

I have many questions and it's late... but those are the kinds of categories I am leaning to. About a 3X or 4X would be cool. It needs to have a recticle, not just a dot.

I really don't know what exactly I will wind up with. but those are in the arena and I am open for more suggestions.